Start by marking “Night Blind (Blake Sanders, #1)” as Want to Read:
Night Blind (Blake Sanders, #1)

Night Blind (Blake Sanders #1)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  224 ratings  ·  27 reviews
The first in the Blake Sanders thriller series.

Overcoming a lifetime affliction of ADD, Blake Sanders had it all—great career, beautiful wife and loving son—until the one-time college basketball star’s world was rocked by scandal and his grown son’s suicide. In the space of a few months, he lost his only child, his public affairs job, and his marriage. Now, a year later, h
Published October 23rd 2012 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Night Blind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Blind

Brenda
Blake Sanders felt like he had lost everything…twelve months ago, his only son Cole had committed suicide, and he blamed himself. He should have been able to help him, and couldn’t work out why he hadn’t seen the signs. After he lost his job in a shocking scandal he was innocent of, but couldn’t prove, he lost his beautiful wife Molly to divorce… So when he came across a woman threatening to jump from a bridge, while he was driving to his night time job, he was determined to save her…

Later, as
Amy Shojai
The book starts out slowly, and was a bit confusing at first with a number of characters introduced and no clear connection between them. The author builds tension and atmosphere incredibly well, and I was struck by the complexity of the sympathetic and conflicted main character Blake Sanders.

Soon the story builds up steam, though. Lots more questions with few answers spin out the tale. There were a couple of times I stopped reading when coincidence just seemed too...well, coincidental (as in t
Michael
In Seattle, Blake Sanders was a former college basketball player and later a public official. He lost his job and marriage to a financial scandal. He's haunted by the death of his son and makes a living delivering newspapers.

Blake's misfortunes seem to have increased his empathy. As his part in the story begins, he talks a woman out of jumping off a bridge and committing suicide.

The last stop on his delivery route is to an elderly woman who seems lonely and Blake often stopped at her house for
T.L. Cooper
Michael W. Sherer's Night Blind blinds the reader to all else during the course of reading. Sherer immerses the reader so deeply in Seattle, the air feels damp and the night feels lonely as he introduces Blake Sanders. Sherer did something most authors fail to do... He managed to make me think the ultimate villain out to destroy Sanders was someone other than it was and yet when he finally revealed the villain, it made perfect sense. I felt engulfed in Sanders quest to do the right thing even wh ...more
Dan
Blake Sanders had a good life but now delivers newspapers and washes dishes. A year earlier his son committed suicide, and was accused of theft at his job. His marriage fell apart and he blamed himself for his son’s s death. One evening while delivering the paper, he stops a woman from killing herself. At the same tie, an elderly woman on his route was murdered and all the evidence points to him. Desperate to clear his name, he stumbles upon more than he bargained for. A hunt for hidden treasure ...more
Hal Johnson
NIGHT BLIND has made me an instant fan of Michael Sherer. The novel features a flawed, damaged protagonist who is nevertheless a fundamentally decent man. He's a man who's lost most everything dear to him: his job, his marriage, and his only child, with the loss of his freedom looming over his night-based waking hours.

NIGHT BLIND features deft character development and a strong storyline. I noted some reviewers complained about too many subplots, but I found they enriched the novel, becoming par
Peg Brantley
Sherer has a wonderful way with words, and I appreciate the fact he doesn't "dumb down" his writing. I love words, and when an author sends me to the dictionary (easy on your Kindle!), I personally approve. He also has the fabulous skill of depiction--creating a painting in your mind--although in the first half of the book, it may have been a tad too much for a thriller.

NIGHT BLIND indtroduces us to a flawed but honorable protagonist. One I personally want to follow, and Sherer is on top of the
Lhenry
As other reviewers has said, this was a very complicated story. I liked how the past was gradually revealed, with tantalizing bits kept me wanting to learn more. The number of characters kind of meant we didn't get to know them that well, but the action was enough to give the reader a good sense of them. I would read more in this series.
Roxanne
Poorly organized. Keeps you guessing for all the wrong reasons...mainly because its poorly organized.
Linda B
Some people have the worst luck and Blake Sanders has the worst. His lost his son, career, wife, and now one of his only friends. He is also accused of murder. Although it sounds like he has the life of the Biblical Job, I liked the character of Blake Sanders and especially the friendship he struck with the elderly woman, Midge Babcock.

When there are several different story lines going at the same time as this story had, I only ask that they smoothly connect at some point in the book. Night Bli
I didn't think that Sherer gave me enough information to stay involved in this story. I felt like this was a third or fourth book in a series as I was reading it. Then I looked up some information about it and found that it is the first in the series. So now, I am wondering if Sherer is planning on expanding on character and surroundings in future books.

Summary:
Blake Sanders has literally lost everything. He has gotten to the point where he only goes outside in the night to complete little jobs
Judy
Blake Sanders has issues and plenty of them. He's trying to deal with the break up of his marriage, the death of his son and with his perilous financial situation (he lost his cushy job at a prestigious Seattle PR firm and is reduced to delivering papers).

And then his favorite customer, an elderly woman named Midge, turns up stabbed to death, and he's charged with her murder.

So Blake sets out to find the truth. Seems that Midge discovered a deep dark secret about hidden treasure and something v
Candice Mckinney
Blake Sanders is delivering papers in the early morning when he see a woman about to jump off of a bridge. He stops his car and talks to her until the police come. He is able to save her life and gets back to delivering papers. When he gets to an elderly woman's house whom he has become good friends with he is disappointed to seem that her light is not on. He was hoping she would be up and wanted to spend some time talking to her. A short time later he is taken in for questioning about the elder ...more
Ken Rubenstein
Good mystery

Although starting slow, book quickly becomes hard to put down. Look forward to reading more of the novels written by this author.
Judy
I found a lot to like about this thriller. Sherer does an incredible (and credible) job of using Seattle as a setting, seamlessly weaving the city's past with its present. I also loved the idea of a hero with AADD, and the AADD is an integral part of how the story and the hero evolve. Also terrific--the male hero didn't fall into bed with every eligible woman! I didn't find all present-day parts of the story totally believable despite having been well researched, but this fast-moving novel carri ...more
Christopher Winterburn
hit and miss, but overall a very good read. I liked the plot and loved the lead character. I loved how his past gradually revealed itself throughout the book. I found that sometimes the plot seemed a little too convenient, almost like it wasn't worth the effort so something, anything was whipped up quickly which meant the plot seemed "incredible" at times.

Then there was an important character who just seemed to vanish towards the end. No tie-up, closure.....or maybe that's left open for a furthe
Kris
A good mystery, not fabulous but interesting.
Mark Gunnell
I was going to give this book only 2 stars but the second half of the book was 4 star material, so I'll go ahead and rate it 3 stars. It was really slow in the beginning, with about 4-5 different story lines which FINALLY converged at the end of the book. At almost exactly half way through the book, things started to happen and it got more interesting.
Anne
I enjoyed the book. Kept me turning pages and not at all bothered by the multiple activity lines spreading throughout. They all tied together in the end with the exception of the saved 'jumper'. I look forward to reading more books by this author.
Charles Robinson
Very Interesting

Very interesting and good read. I found the characters well developed and the protagonist great with a slight sense of humor and the whole history part a major plus.
Mandy
I enjoyed is book a lot. The beginning was slow and it took a while to get into it. The end was gripping and I was totally wrapped into the story.
Marcus
A good thriller that takes place in Seattle, Wa. If you were keeping score during the Light Rail issues; you just might enjoy this fast paced read.
Karen
pretty interesting, plot is a little out there and a little too much fighting for my taste Overall a good (not great) read.
Elaine Floyd
A decent read; and I'll read more by this author, but to me it lacked character depth. Enjoyable history, action and suspense.
Suzanne
Totally reminded me of Da Vinci Code or that sort of storytelling.
Dianne
Okay read, not bad not great.
Sunflower Jamison
Sunflower Jamison marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
  • Behind Closed Doors
  • Pierced (Henning Juul, #2)
  • A Game of Chance
  • The Thieves Of Legend (Michael St. Pierre, #4)
  • Hunt the Wolf (Seal Team Six, #1)
  • The Conviction (David Sloane, #5)
  • The Art of Breaking Glass
  • Mine To Avenge
  • False Friends (Dan Shepherd, #9)
  • Ashes and Bone (Delta Crossroads Trilogy #3)
  • The Ghost Walker (Wind River Reservation, #2)
  • The Beacon
  • Frontier Incursion
  • Memory House
  • The Maxwell Sisters
  • The Trigger (Agent Dallas Thriller, #1)
  • Hazardous Goods
  • Poison Flower (Jane Whitefield, #7)
Michael W. Sherer is the Thriller Award-nominated, best-selling author of Night Blind, the first in the Seattle-based Blake Sanders thriller series, which also was named a best book of 2012 by The Examiner’s “Miami Books.” Night Tide, the second in the series, was released in September, 2013, on Kindle and in print. His other books include six novels in the award-winning Emerson Ward mystery serie ...more
More about Michael W. Sherer...

Blake Sanders (2 books)
  • Night Tide (Blake Sanders #2)
Island Life Night Tide (Blake Sanders #2) Night Drop (Blake Sanders #3) Death on a Budget Death Is No Bargain (Emerson Ward Mystery)