The Collected Poems of Oscar Wilde

The Collected Poems of Oscar Wilde

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Wilde, glamorous and notorious, more famous as a playwright or prisoner than as a poet, invites readers of his verse to meet an unknown and intimate figure. The poetry of his formative years includes the haunting elegy to his young sister and the grieving lyric at the death of his father. The religious drama of his romance with Rome is captured here, as well as its resolut...more
Published August 5th 2000 by Wordsworth Editions (first published January 1st 1909)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Poems of Oscar Wilde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Poems of Oscar Wilde

Tracey
Due to the nature of this book this review cannot be the whole story but taking separate pieces and and an overview and some of the thoughts and feelings it invoked in me I hope it will give a general impression.
I read The picture of dorian Gray earlier this year and loved the 'poetic' way Oscar Wilde wrote so it was only natural I should go for a book of his poetry as my next foray into his work, I wasn't disappointed.
Oscar Wilde born Dublin Ireland 16/10/1854 was a proponent of the Aesthetic m...more
Anne Nikoline
Jan 25, 2014 Anne Nikoline rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of romantic poetry
Recommended to Anne Nikoline by: no one
As much as I love Oscar Wilde's wild person and wittiness, I was surprised to find none of these elements of his persona in his poems. "The Collected Poems of Oscar Wilde" by Oscar Wilde is a wide collection of dedicated odes, sonnets and simple words for the people around him as well as historical personas including the romantic poet, John Keats. Oscar Wilde's poems roots in Greek myths and folklore and bloom into a nice garden of flowers which is nice to walk though, but it did not leave me br...more
Joe
May 10, 2011 Joe rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
I decided to try reading this unsure what to expect. I had finished "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and figured I should try Wilde's poetry. i was not able to decide until I got to the last ten-fifteen pages.
As I read more poems, I would keep jumping from 2 to 4 to 3, and back to 2 stars. Then, I finally came to "The Ballad of the Reading Gaol". That was incredible! Reading a little bit of the introduction, I was expect this "political statement", then I found so many different layers to what Wilde...more
Andy Chavez
If I didn't know any better I would have guessed Catullus or Sappho or some other Hellenistic poet wrote this collection. I was left wondering if Wilde just wanted to show off his obscure knowledge of history and mythology and package it up around some purple prose. That said, it was okay.
Rhian Pritchard
I have yet to read any of Oscar Wilde's novels, despite his reputation as a novellist rather than a poet. I was pleasantly surprised, therefore, by the quality of his poetry, and especially his way of conveying emtion.
Farah
What is there to say about words that move us as if we were the very letters that smoothly stir,
of poems that are so rich in description we find ahead of us the depiction as if it were our very own reflection in an undisturbed pond,
of the effortless rhymes that ever so swiftly dance on the tip of our tongues,
of the longing to taste each reference as if it were a memory of our own pasts?

Oscar Wilde reflects both the beauty and anguish he saw in the world through his work, and I am yet again le...more
Mel Baggins
Es un hermosos libro por el hecho de que Oscar Wilde encuentra el momento adecuado y las palabras para representar la situación.
Marina Trajković
Good God! Flowers, waves, heroes, love saving lives, girls' dresses fluttering in the wind, ,,oh-s" and ,,ah-s" everywhere, rhyme as simple and expected as in children's songs....after all those unique, witty thoughts in his novel and plays, one would think they would find a deeper philosophy in Oscar Wilde's poetic works.....
Camila
Just like any other piece written by this man, it is brilliant. Witty, inspiring, romantic. Although I prefer his stories and novels, his poetry is intimate and intense, and just as good.
Willy Miller
I would say as a collected works, not very good. As select poems, fairly decent. As select prose, damn good.

Daniëlle
I especially liked The Sphinx and The Ballad of Reading Gaol.
Tanya
Tanya added it
Aug 28, 2014
Worm
Worm added it
Aug 28, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Yasmin
Yasmin marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Julia Hollender
Julia Hollender marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Nanna
Nanna marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Nathan Harris
Nathan Harris marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Monet
Monet marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Chimney
Chimney marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Maggie
Maggie added it
Jul 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E...more
More about Oscar Wilde...
The Picture of Dorian Gray The Importance of Being Earnest The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays   An Ideal Husband The Canterville Ghost