Start by marking “Proof Positive CD: Proof Positive CD” as Want to Read:
Proof Positive CD: Proof Positive CD

Proof Positive CD: Proof Positive CD (Amanda Jaffe #3)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,446 Ratings  ·  114 Reviews
Doug Weaver is a defense attorney who always believes the best of his clients, and Jacob Cohen, on trial for murder, is no exception. Jacob may be homeless and mentally ill, but Doug can't believe that this meek and intensely religious man could have killed and dismembered a woman. Yet Bernard Cashman, a forensic expert at the Oregon State Crime Lab, finds evidence that in ...more
Audio CD, Abridged
Published June 27th 2006 by HarperAudio (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Proof Positive CD, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Proof Positive CD

David
Apr 15, 2008 David rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
This was one of the worst books I ever waded through. Margolin takes an interesting real-world idea (how to fake a fingerprint in a crime lab and frame someone) and weaves it into an idiotic, mundane, pitiful, coincidence- nonsense mystery that has nothing mysterious about it. We know who the bad guy is, we don't know EXACTLY how he did it, but we know he did it because Margolin forces us to follow him.

Margolin introduces a peripheral character and spends several paragraphs discussing the reason
Doug Clark
Nov 06, 2012 Doug Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Proof Positive is the third in a series of legal thrillers featuring defense attorney, Amanda Jaffe written by Phillip Margolin. She currently is a lawyer in her father’s firm in Portland OR. The novel opens with defense attorney, Doug Weaver, watching his client, Raymond Hayes, being put to death. Doug is haunted by what he believes is the execution of an innocent man. However, with Ray’s fingerprints on the hammer that was used to kill his mother, Ray’s conviction was all but assured.

Fast for
Linda
Jun 05, 2011 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
The handling - and mishandling - of forensic evidence take center stage in Proof Positive. Evidence tampering, wrongful convictions and executions, and flagrant cover-ups converge to destroy lives, and the perpetrator of all this mayhem is supposed to be one of the good guys. When a co-worker becomes suspicious, he stops at nothing to preserve his own reputation and career.

Author Margolin fields a huge cast of characters in this novel, which occasionally causes confusion. The pace is brisk, but
Scott Bagley
Before anyone reads this thinking they are going to read a mystery with a "WHOA, I didn't see that coming" kind of ending. Think again. That is what I'm looking for when I read mysteries or thrillers, and I would guess that I'm not alone in this.

Proof Positive is not a who dunnit because the AUTHOR TELLS US WHO DUNNIT AS IT IS HAPPENING!!! This book is therefore more of a legal investigation. If that's your thing, I think you will like this book. If you want to wonder what is going to happen al
Beth
My first reaction to this book, was that too many characters were being introduced too quickly, but as the story began to take shape it all made sense and I began to really enjoy the story and writing. A diabolical killer is at work and corrupting the very system of justice he is supposed to uphold. In an unusual twist, the attorneys all seem to be the good guys in this story, and when Doug Weaver and Amanda Jaffe team up to defend a mentally ill man, Jacob Cohen, from a murder charge they have ...more
Pam Jessen
Jan 02, 2014 Pam Jessen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize this book was 4th in a series, and I don't think it mattered one bit, this was a good page-turner!

I enjoy books like this sometimes, where the suspense comes - not from trying to figure out "whodunit" - but just from waiting to find out how they'll be caught! The trouble I have with a lot of suspense books is how they try to put some surprise twists in there, which often just don't work for me (or weren't really surprising and therefore, the "surprise" falls flat.)

So here, we k
Diane
Jan 09, 2015 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good legal thriller. It seems that a lot of cases are being closed with perfect evidence. Doug Weaver has to attend the execution of his client whose last words were that he didn't kill his mother.

Frank Jaffe has a client who is a mob hit man and guilty of many things but swears he's not guilty of the one he's arrested for currently.

In this story we know who the guilty party is but it seems almost impossible that he will ever be caught. He becomes so sure of himself that he commits a grisl
Andrew
I am running behind on my reviews, and had to reread the blurb online to remind myself what this book was about. That statement summarizes my opinion of the book – it held my interest at the time, but was quickly forgotten when I’d reached the end. It was neither so good nor so bad as to leave a lasting impression in my memory. (At least it left enough of an impression that the brief reminder was enough to bring the highlights back to mind!)

RATING: As middle of the road 3 stars as you can get.
Maddy
May 04, 2010 Maddy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2006-reads
PROTAGONIST: Amanda and Frank Jaffe, defense attorneys
SETTING: Portland, Oregon
SERIES: #3 of 3
RATING: 4.5

Being a defense attorney must be one of the most difficult jobs that there is. Many times, you are representing a client that is guilty. At other times, the defendant is not someone that you would really like to spend time with, even if they are innocent. The two defense attorneys featured in Proof Positive, Amanda Jaffe and her father, Frank, both have very difficult cases to defend. Frank i
Bookworm Smith
Aug 26, 2014 Bookworm Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you like that show CSI? All that forensic science keep you glued to the tube? If you do, then you'll like this book. It's CSI in book form.

The plot of the book is pretty simple, a forensic scientist fakes evidence. If we are still on the CSI theme, it would be like an episode called 'Grissom Goes Bad'...however, in this book it leads to an execution.

The book starts with the execution and it's impact on the defending lawyer. It then jumps ahead a few years where a couple of new cases and lawye
Alice

Pg 236 Dostoyevsky’s Brothers Karamazov, Hesse’s Siddhartz, Sartre & Camus
373 Solomon how a just God could punish

Failure ---of individuals of system
Fear
Guilt--- pg 92 He was all messed up and he didn’t know what to do… He would muddle through and hope he didn’t hurt anyone else. . And there was one other thing that kept him going: the hope that someday he would redeem himsel
Natalie Karns
Apr 19, 2014 Natalie Karns rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: write-a-review
I enjoy going back and finding authors I like and reading an old book of his or her which I haven't read. And Proof Positive was great! I love legal stories and especially when innocent men or women are found Not Guilty. Proof Positive is an excellent read and you just want to not put the book down.

I just can't find the same kind of writing in recent new authors.
Nani
Apr 07, 2014 Nani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-2014
I’m going to read some other series that Philip Margolin has written. This is the third book in the Amanda Jaffe series and I’ve loved reading every one of them.

Two seemingly unrelated murder cases become intertwined in a much bigger legal issue for Amanda and her father, Frank. The crime-solving is stimulating the action exciting, the murders pretty graphic and the detail is outstanding. I love that the good guys aren’t infallible but they’re morally strong, it surprises you who the bad guys re
Ferne
May 18, 2014 Ferne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phillip Margolin is one of my favorite authors of legal thrillers. In this story, he has definitely crafted an intricate, page-turning view into the world as experienced by a criminal defense attorney. His work should not be missed!
Will Byrnes
 Marla
Excellent mystery novel filled with forensic evidence and legal wrangling and a little bit of romance.

This is a strange series because lawyer, Amanda Jaffe, and her father, Frank Jaffe, are characters in each of these stories, but the POV switches between Amanda and other characters.

Criminologists, Martha Clark, Bernard Cashman and Phillip help Amanda and Frank Jaffe in their quest for justice for Jacob Cohen, an accused murderer and attempted rapist, and Art Prochaska, accused of murdering a r
Joanne
Feb 12, 2014 Joanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story. Good, not marvelous. "Ripped for the headlines." What happens when a CSI investigator starts falsifying the results of their tests to give the police and courts the tools to send bad guys to jail? What happens when they send decent people to jail?
Terry
Sep 17, 2012 Terry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Interesting, but not Margolin's best work.

This book centers around the important work that criminologists do to collect and examine crime scene evidence, and testify about their conclusions in court. Where one particular criminologist is convinced that criminal defendants (many facing the death penalty) should be convicted, he plants evidence to make it happen. This is not a plot spoiler -- the author tells you this early in the book.

This is a "read it all in a short period of time" book -- othe
Tom
Jun 14, 2015 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok book about a criminalist who finds evidence where it does not exist (he makes it up) to convict the accused. Several people die who should not have.
Michelle Connell
The plot was good and the story had great characters, but it was a little too gruesome for me with the forensic aspects and the murders involved.
Bob
Aug 22, 2009 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lawyer Doug Weaver is a defense attorney draws the case of a street person who has been arrested for not registering as sex offender and manages to get him freed. Later he is called on to defend him again, this time for murder. Mean while Amanda Jaffe, a defense lawyer for a big law firm gets involved with the case and Amanda's father is also defending a hit man for a local gangster and they come to the believe that there is a problem with the evidence. There is a lot more that is going on so I ...more
Linda
Feb 05, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good thriller, lots of characters introduced at the beginning, but I was able to keep them straight because he made each one memorable.
Simone
I read this book back in 2006 (9 years ago) but since I didn’t remember anything about it, it was like a free book! I rated it 2 stars back then, but this time I would give it 3.

Part legal drama & part CSI thriller, it was suspenseful and intriguing – not really a whodunit, more like a howwillhegetcaught.

This is Book 4 in a series and I am curious about other books, I went back to the start and added book 1 Wild Justice (Amanda Jaffe, #1) by Phillip Margolin to my wishlist… I’m hoping it will be a good legal thriller. We’ll see!
Jeanette Lee
Aug 13, 2014 Jeanette Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do not read/listen to the abridged version. I accidentally listened to the abridged version and got very confused. Switching scenes did not flow correctly. Even though I got the gist of the story, I listened to the unabridged version and totally enjoyed it. Would recommend any Phillip Margolin novel.
Naomi
Mar 03, 2011 Naomi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very preliminary review of this book as I am on page 200. I am finding it hard to concentrate on the book as it is mainly taking place in the courtroom and those types of books are not my cup of tea..that is normally why I steer clear of John Grisham books. That said...I am wondering if this is out of the norm for this author as he is my husband's favorite author and, like myself, he doesn't like courtroom "dramas" I am hoping this book gets better for me, but so far, I am not seeing t ...more
Claire
Jan 24, 2015 Claire rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Story was interesting but at times the narrative bogged down with uninteresting narrative which I am good at skimming.
Ginger Weirich
Jun 10, 2015 Ginger Weirich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting crime/court novel. Kept me engaged throughout. I think I like Amanda Jaffe. 4.5 stars.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3.5 STARS

"Doug Weaver is a defense attorney who always believes the best of his clients, and Jacob Cohen, on trial for murder, is no exception. Jacob may be homeless and mentally ill, but Doug can't imagine that this meek and intensely religious man could have killed and dismembered a woman. Yet Bernard Cashman, a forensic expert at the Oregon State Crime Lab, finds evidence that indisputably connects Cohen with the crime." (From Amazon)

I enjoyed this mystery novel but did not realize it was par
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Anything by Phillip Margolin is awesome. I could not stop until I was finished.
Sarah Jowett
Another one I re-read to add to Goodreads.... not bad but way too predictable after reading so many similar books since I read it the first time.
Great Book 1 7 Sep 13, 2007 06:15PM
  • Capitol Murder: A Novel (Ben Kincaid, #14)
  • Betrayal (Dismas Hardy, #12)
  • Reckless Endangerment (Butch Karp, #10)
  • Acts of Desperation
  • Undue Influence (Paul Madriani, #3)
  • Moment of Truth (Rosato & Associates, #5)
  • Sins of the Fathers
  • The Advocate's Conviction
  • In Doubt
  • Dreams of the Dead (Nina Reilly, #13)
  • Harm's Way (Alan Gregory, #4)
  • Reversible Errors (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #6)
  • The Icon
  • Law of Attraction (Anna Curtis, #1)
  • My Lost Daughter (Lily Forrester, #4)
  • The Fallen

Amanda Jaffe (5 books)
  • Wild Justice (Amanda Jaffe, #1)
  • Ties That Bind (Amanda Jaffe, #2)
  • Fugitive (Amanda Jaffe, #4)
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)