Start by marking “Proof Positive CD: Proof Positive CD” as Want to Read:
Proof Positive CD: Proof Positive CD

Proof Positive CD: Proof Positive CD (Amanda Jaffe #4)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  1,118 ratings  ·  98 reviews
Doug Weaver is a defense attorney who always believes the best of his clients, and Jacob Cohen, on trial for murder, is no exception. Jacob may be homeless and mentally ill, but Doug can't believe that this meek and intensely religious man could have killed and dismembered a woman. Yet Bernard Cashman, a forensic expert at the Oregon State Crime Lab, finds evidence that in ...more
Audio CD, Abridged
Published June 27th 2006 by HarperAudio (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Proof Positive CD, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Proof Positive CD

David
This was one of the worst books I ever waded through. Margolin takes an interesting real-world idea (how to fake a fingerprint in a crime lab and frame someone) and weaves it into an idiotic, mundane, pitiful, coincidence- nonsense mystery that has nothing mysterious about it. We know who the bad guy is, we don't know EXACTLY how he did it, but we know he did it because Margolin forces us to follow him.

Margolin introduces a peripheral character and spends several paragraphs discussing the reason
Doug Clark
Proof Positive is the third in a series of legal thrillers featuring defense attorney, Amanda Jaffe written by Phillip Margolin. She currently is a lawyer in her father’s firm in Portland OR. The novel opens with defense attorney, Doug Weaver, watching his client, Raymond Hayes, being put to death. Doug is haunted by what he believes is the execution of an innocent man. However, with Ray’s fingerprints on the hammer that was used to kill his mother, Ray’s conviction was all but assured.

Fast for
Linda
The handling - and mishandling - of forensic evidence take center stage in Proof Positive. Evidence tampering, wrongful convictions and executions, and flagrant cover-ups converge to destroy lives, and the perpetrator of all this mayhem is supposed to be one of the good guys. When a co-worker becomes suspicious, he stops at nothing to preserve his own reputation and career.

Author Margolin fields a huge cast of characters in this novel, which occasionally causes confusion. The pace is brisk, but
Scott Bagley
Before anyone reads this thinking they are going to read a mystery with a "WHOA, I didn't see that coming" kind of ending. Think again. That is what I'm looking for when I read mysteries or thrillers, and I would guess that I'm not alone in this.

Proof Positive is not a who dunnit because the AUTHOR TELLS US WHO DUNNIT AS IT IS HAPPENING!!! This book is therefore more of a legal investigation. If that's your thing, I think you will like this book. If you want to wonder what is going to happen al
Pam Jessen
I didn't realize this book was 4th in a series, and I don't think it mattered one bit, this was a good page-turner!

I enjoy books like this sometimes, where the suspense comes - not from trying to figure out "whodunit" - but just from waiting to find out how they'll be caught! The trouble I have with a lot of suspense books is how they try to put some surprise twists in there, which often just don't work for me (or weren't really surprising and therefore, the "surprise" falls flat.)

So here, we k
Andrew
I am running behind on my reviews, and had to reread the blurb online to remind myself what this book was about. That statement summarizes my opinion of the book – it held my interest at the time, but was quickly forgotten when I’d reached the end. It was neither so good nor so bad as to leave a lasting impression in my memory. (At least it left enough of an impression that the brief reminder was enough to bring the highlights back to mind!)

RATING: As middle of the road 3 stars as you can get.
Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Amanda and Frank Jaffe, defense attorneys
SETTING: Portland, Oregon
SERIES: #3 of 3
RATING: 4.5

Being a defense attorney must be one of the most difficult jobs that there is. Many times, you are representing a client that is guilty. At other times, the defendant is not someone that you would really like to spend time with, even if they are innocent. The two defense attorneys featured in Proof Positive, Amanda Jaffe and her father, Frank, both have very difficult cases to defend. Frank i
Bookworm Smith
Do you like that show CSI? All that forensic science keep you glued to the tube? If you do, then you'll like this book. It's CSI in book form.

The plot of the book is pretty simple, a forensic scientist fakes evidence. If we are still on the CSI theme, it would be like an episode called 'Grissom Goes Bad'...however, in this book it leads to an execution.

The book starts with the execution and it's impact on the defending lawyer. It then jumps ahead a few years where a couple of new cases and lawye
Alice

Pg 236 Dostoyevsky’s Brothers Karamazov, Hesse’s Siddhartz, Sartre & Camus
373 Solomon how a just God could punish

Failure ---of individuals of system
Fear
Guilt--- pg 92 He was all messed up and he didn’t know what to do… He would muddle through and hope he didn’t hurt anyone else. . And there was one other thing that kept him going: the hope that someday he would redeem himsel
Natalie Karns
I enjoy going back and finding authors I like and reading an old book of his or her which I haven't read. And Proof Positive was great! I love legal stories and especially when innocent men or women are found Not Guilty. Proof Positive is an excellent read and you just want to not put the book down.

I just can't find the same kind of writing in recent new authors.
Nani
I’m going to read some other series that Philip Margolin has written. This is the third book in the Amanda Jaffe series and I’ve loved reading every one of them.

Two seemingly unrelated murder cases become intertwined in a much bigger legal issue for Amanda and her father, Frank. The crime-solving is stimulating the action exciting, the murders pretty graphic and the detail is outstanding. I love that the good guys aren’t infallible but they’re morally strong, it surprises you who the bad guys re
Ferne
Phillip Margolin is one of my favorite authors of legal thrillers. In this story, he has definitely crafted an intricate, page-turning view into the world as experienced by a criminal defense attorney. His work should not be missed!
Will Byrnes
 Marla
Excellent mystery novel filled with forensic evidence and legal wrangling and a little bit of romance.

This is a strange series because lawyer, Amanda Jaffe, and her father, Frank Jaffe, are characters in each of these stories, but the POV switches between Amanda and other characters.

Criminologists, Martha Clark, Bernard Cashman and Phillip help Amanda and Frank Jaffe in their quest for justice for Jacob Cohen, an accused murderer and attempted rapist, and Art Prochaska, accused of murdering a r
Joanne
Interesting story. Good, not marvelous. "Ripped for the headlines." What happens when a CSI investigator starts falsifying the results of their tests to give the police and courts the tools to send bad guys to jail? What happens when they send decent people to jail?
Terry
Interesting, but not Margolin's best work.

This book centers around the important work that criminologists do to collect and examine crime scene evidence, and testify about their conclusions in court. Where one particular criminologist is convinced that criminal defendants (many facing the death penalty) should be convicted, he plants evidence to make it happen. This is not a plot spoiler -- the author tells you this early in the book.

This is a "read it all in a short period of time" book -- othe
Bob
Lawyer Doug Weaver is a defense attorney draws the case of a street person who has been arrested for not registering as sex offender and manages to get him freed. Later he is called on to defend him again, this time for murder. Mean while Amanda Jaffe, a defense lawyer for a big law firm gets involved with the case and Amanda's father is also defending a hit man for a local gangster and they come to the believe that there is a problem with the evidence. There is a lot more that is going on so I ...more
Linda
Good thriller, lots of characters introduced at the beginning, but I was able to keep them straight because he made each one memorable.
Jeanette Lee
Do not read/listen to the abridged version. I accidentally listened to the abridged version and got very confused. Switching scenes did not flow correctly. Even though I got the gist of the story, I listened to the unabridged version and totally enjoyed it. Would recommend any Phillip Margolin novel.
Naomi
This is a very preliminary review of this book as I am on page 200. I am finding it hard to concentrate on the book as it is mainly taking place in the courtroom and those types of books are not my cup of tea..that is normally why I steer clear of John Grisham books. That said...I am wondering if this is out of the norm for this author as he is my husband's favorite author and, like myself, he doesn't like courtroom "dramas" I am hoping this book gets better for me, but so far, I am not seeing t ...more
Kris
3.5 STARS

"Doug Weaver is a defense attorney who always believes the best of his clients, and Jacob Cohen, on trial for murder, is no exception. Jacob may be homeless and mentally ill, but Doug can't imagine that this meek and intensely religious man could have killed and dismembered a woman. Yet Bernard Cashman, a forensic expert at the Oregon State Crime Lab, finds evidence that indisputably connects Cohen with the crime." (From Amazon)

I enjoyed this mystery novel but did not realize it was par
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Anything by Phillip Margolin is awesome. I could not stop until I was finished.
Judy
This is part of the Amanda & Frank Jaffe series. As pointed out by some of the other reviewers it's not much of a mystery since you know from the beginning who the murderer is, but it's still interesting to watch the Jaffe's and their investigators figure it out, and the murderer is such a villain that you're really happy when he gets his due. It's also a bit frightening to hear how a criminalist can fake evidence to convict someone he thinks deserves to go to jail. I listen to books on CD w ...more
Dhaverma
Mystery. Good plot, well written
Dan
Jacob Cohen is a man with trouble, he can't catch a break. He is an ex-con living on
the street, severe mental issues, and now charged with murder. Portland Oregon has a
C.S. I. with a need to see Jacob convicted. Amanda Jaffe has the job of defense,
the evidence is not in Jacob's favor.
Georgiacyn
I did not read Wild Justice prior to reading Proof Positive. The characters are well developed enough within this book that is not necessary to have read anything connected books prior. Margolin does a great job of tying together very different characters from different worlds and involved in the cases of very different crimes that initially seem completely unrelated. He vividly describes everything without getting overly graphic. I really enjoyed this book and have already purchased my by this ...more
Gina
This is the first Margolin novel I've ever read. I saw it on the new release shelf and thought the synopsis sounded good. An excellent book!

I love how he works everything! His details, whether with forensics, or the play of either detective or lawyer, were great! The plot was excellent. Several twists that I never saw coming. I thought his characters were genuine and down-to-earth - completely believable.

I'm definitely picking up more of his works!
Gloria
Feb 22, 2011 Gloria rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like John Lescroart
Fast-paced page-turner. The "gruesome" parts are no worse than what is found in many books today and they do not contain the ominous fear you would sense in a horror novel. Because early on you already know who commits every crime in the story, most of the pacing is geared toward wondering when the good guys will figure it all out. Would like to see more surprises and twists as well as more character definition. Fans of CSI (TV) may like this especially.
Great Book 1 7 Sep 13, 2007 06:15PM
  • Capitol Murder: A Novel (Ben Kincaid, #14)
  • Reckless Endangerment (Butch Karp, #10)
  • Undue Influence (Paul Madriani, #3)
  • Betrayal (Dismas Hardy, #12)
  • The Icon
  • Sudden Death
  • Moment of Truth (Rosato & Associates, #5)
  • Eclipse
  • An Unquiet Grave (Louis Kincaid, #7)
Executive Privilege (Dana Cutler, #1) Gone, But Not Forgotten After Dark Supreme Justice (Dana Cutler, #2) The Associate (Amanda Jaffe, #2)