Start by marking “Le pavillon du lac” as Want to Read:
Le pavillon du lac

Le pavillon du lac (Calhoun Chronicles #4)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  669 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Amérique, 1893.

Mariée au brillant sénateur de l'Etat de New York, Helena vit un drame caché : son mari la bat depuis qu'il a appris, à la suite d'une dénonciation, que leur enfant n'était pas le sien mais celui d'un certain Michael Rowan, un brillant scientifique avec lequel Helena a eu jadis une éphémère liaison et qu'elle a tenu, par orgueil, dans l'ignorance de sa gros
Mass Market Paperback, Grands Romans Historiques, 343 pages
Published December 2003 by Harlequin (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Le pavillon du lac, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le pavillon du lac

SuperWendy
I love Susan Wiggs' historicals - but her series tend to follow a specific pattern for me. There are books I love and then books....I don't love. When it comes to the Calhoun Chronicles (although I still need to read #5!) this book had to be DNF'ed for my own sanity. Here are the rundown of the characters:

1) The heroine - who gets knocked up, marries a man who ain't The Baby Daddy quickly, then proceeds to pass off her son as her husband's spawn for the next 8+ years.

2) The "hero" - who gets the
Violet Banerjee
Susan Wiggs is a brilliant writer and Enchanted Afternoon is rich with historical detail about Saratoga Springs and nineteenth century feminism. Her protagonist, Helena Cabot, goes on a journey of self-discovery during the course of the book and emerges a stronger, more self-assured individual. The women Helena gathers around herself are finely drawn personalities. The book stands on its own as a tale of friendship and personal growth.

Enchanted Afternoon is book 4 of The Calhoun Chronicles, and
Rochelle
Read from October 20 to 21, 2013
Okay, so normally I don't reread books because I have over 550 books on my "to-read" shelf, but after reading Halfway to Heaven (Calhoun Chronicles #3) I wanted to reread this to see if it works better in order.
It does!
So, my tip to anyone reading these books, they make more sense when they're read in order! Michael had so much more depth and the pieces fell into place better once you put their past relationship into place!

Read from August 17 to 18, 2012
I enjoy
Jeanne
May 07, 2015 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Helena Cabot Barnes is the daughter of a rich powerful man, wife of a rich powerful senator, mother of a 8 year old boy, and a battered woman. This story is about her first love, her finding freedom from her disastrous and dangerous marriage, and the making of something wonderful of her life. A good read!
Ciarda
Feb 03, 2015 Ciarda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably Wigg's best book. She certainly doesn't flinch from the very real social issues of the time and those play a crucial role in this novel. Her romantic heroic characters are never perfect, always flawed but you still empathize with them, despite their mistakes.
Andrea Stein
Mar 07, 2016 Andrea Stein rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful, unusual romance set in the Gilded Age in Saratoga Springs. The characters have to work hard for their happy ending, and the details of life then are wonderful.
Sandra
Jul 27, 2012 Sandra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
9 years ago, pregnant Helena left Professor Michael Rowan to marry Senator Troy Barnes. After leaving her abusive marriage, Helena comes face to face with Michael who learns the truth about her son. Meanwhile amongst this drama, Helena learns to stand up for herself and other abused women in the growing women's movement in Saratoga Springs.

A continuation of the Calhoun Chronicles, Wiggs delves into the story of Helena Cabot in this 19th century romance. With her usual attention to detail, Wiggs
Irma
Nov 24, 2014 Irma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me encantan estos personajes que sacan fuerza de flaqueza, que se hacen cargo de sus errores y emergen fuertes y decididas. La violencia de género no conoce raza ni estrato social.
Nancynova
Nov 17, 2012 Nancynova rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oct-dec-2012
Not sure why this is called Enchanted Afternoon - the title doesn't fit the book. Very good though. About an early pregnant woman, who marries a politician with her parent's blessing - exactly what everyone thought was a spectacular match. But no one know the wife beating demons he had, and what a social face she has put forward. So everyone is shocked when she divorces her husband and opens Moon Lake Lodge - a refuge for abused women that she succeeds in creating and sustaining - and she reconn ...more
Sandy Morgan
Feb 13, 2016 Sandy Morgan marked it as my-read-books  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good fiction
Kathy Anne
Jul 29, 2012 Kathy Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book,even tho I had to skip the spouse abuse part,just can`t read that awful stuff.
As a rule I don`t like historicals,tho I find myself reading Susan`s and liking them too.I was glued to this one,I finished at 3:20AM-that doesn`t happen very often.I thought there was a perfect ending too in the person of one little gal that met Troy at the dock at just the right time.Hooray for her !
Joyce
Aug 20, 2009 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think I would be able to stomach a novel in which the heroine was a victim of spousal abuse (not by the hero, of course!) ... but I suppose it's a testament to the author's skill that this is one of my favorites from her.

And it doesn't hurt that the hero is a professor ... sorry, my bad ... inventor. Not a typical(?) vocation for your typical alpha-male in a romance novel ...
Valerie Stebelski
Loved this book.
Dobby0390
The fourth book in the Calhoun Chronicles begins 8 years after Helena's storybook wedding to Senator Troy Barnes, when Helena discovers what a dangerous mistake she made in marrying for all the wrong reasons. I love the way Susan Wiggs writes stories of human frailties and strengths, mistakes and redemption.
Dev
I did not enjoy the story of Helena and Michael as much as I thought I would. The prequel was so compelling that I rushed out to buy this book just so I could find out what happened with Michael and Helena. Although the story was ok, I just did not find it as good as "Halfway to Heaven"
Alexandra Jordan
Absolutely wonderful!!! Loved everything about it....Micheal and William's father-son relationship was adorable. The lady Helena transformed into after her divorce was remarkable and beautiful.
A great inspiring book for all women!
Lori
May 29, 2011 Lori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first time reading a Susan Wiggs novel. Writing a book with dosmetic violence in it can never be easy but I love how the writer showed the main character struggling with the stigma and her past.
Stefanie
Apr 07, 2014 Stefanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't thrilled with the ending of this book. I wanted to know more. It ended to quickly in my opinion. But other that that I loved this story. Loved the bonding between Michael and William.
Katie
Aug 07, 2013 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A reasonably good story, but could have completed the gist in a few less pages. I do appreciate the struggle of the wife in a time that manipulative men had not just some power, but all the power.
Kay Van Slyke
Apr 22, 2012 Kay Van Slyke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first of the Calhoun series. And although it is book #4, it can pretty much stand alone. However, I might have to check out it's prequel "Halfway to Heaven".
Lisa
Apr 14, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light reading but really good because its abot a woman that survives an abusive marriage only to find herself starting a battered womans home in the 1800's.
Michelle
This book seemed like it would never get to the point. It wasn't bad but definitely not her best.
Mary
Nov 25, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A look into women's suffrage. Helena was brave to leave a senator.
Just
Oct 23, 2015 Just rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not one of my favourite reads by Susan.
Pamela
Jun 21, 2011 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like her light hearted romances.
Pam
Aug 08, 2011 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great easy read. I was ready for some like this!
Dhaverma
Sec2000
too suspenseful
  • Never Love a Cowboy
  • Three Nights...
  • Three Little Secrets (MacLachlan Family, #4)
  • An Arabian Courtship
  • Surrender to the Fury
  • Corbin's Fancy (Corbins, #2)
  • If You Love Me (Mackinnon, #7)
  • A Woman's Heart (Castleough, #1)
  • The Truest Heart
  • Dust Devil
  • Billionaire Prince, Pregnant Mistress (The Royal House of Karedes #1)
  • Virgin Bought and Paid For (Harlequin Presents, #2821)
  • The Salvatore Marriage Deal
  • Brave Heart
  • Santiago's Love-Child
  • The Secret Duke (Malloren, #10)
  • The Gunslinger's Untamed Bride (Bride, #2)
  • Androletti's Mistress (Modern Romance)
Susan Wiggs's life is all about family, friends...and fiction. She lives at the water's edge on an island in Puget Sound, and she commutes to her writers' group in a 17-foot motorboat. She serves as author liaison for Field's End, a literary community on Bainbridge Island, Washington, bringing inspiration and instruction from the world's top authors to her seaside community. (See www.fieldsend.org ...more
More about Susan Wiggs...

Calhoun Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Charm School (Calhoun Chronicles #1)
  • The Horsemaster's Daughter (Calhoun Chronicles #2)
  • Halfway to Heaven (Calhoun Chronicles #3)
  • A Summer Affair (Calhoun Chronicles #5)