Start by marking “Mama Cat Has Three Kittens” as Want to Read:
Mama Cat Has Three Kittens

Mama Cat Has Three Kittens

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  430 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Some kittens march to the beat of a different drummer.

Mama Cat has three kittens, Fluffy, Skinny, and Boris. Where Mama Cat leads, Fluffy and Skinny follow. But what about Boris-- will he ever stop napping and join the fun?

Young children will love Mama Cat and her three kittens. They'll also enjoy looking for three other creatures hidden in every scene. But they'll have to
Published October 1st 2002 by Square Fish (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Mama Cat Has Three Kittens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mama Cat Has Three Kittens

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussKitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesMillions of Cats by Wanda GágPuss in Boots by Charles PerraultThe Tale of Tom Kitten by Beatrix Potter
Picture Books about Cats
40th out of 328 books — 162 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleA Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale CummingsBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.An Elephant Is On My House by Othen Donald Dale CummingsDear Zoo by Rod Campbell
Best Toddler Books
258th out of 316 books — 315 voters

More lists with this book...

David
Mama Cat Has Three Kittens by Denise Fleming is a great read-aloud for preschoolers (one of my favorites). It focuses on two kittens, Fluffy & Skinny, who copy their mother's every move. During all these antics, Boris naps. When Mama Cat and the other kittens finally take a nap, Boris wakes up, stretches, yawns, washes his paws, ... and pounces on his family! Then, having woke them up, Boris naps!

This simple yet entertaining story has large fonts and features humor & repetition that todd
Sarah Sammis
Mama Cat Has Three Kittens is on Harriet and my short list of favorite children's books. The book is a near perfect combination of repetition, adorable illustrations and humor. Best of all (from Harriet's perspective) it's about cats.

Mama cat, as the title explains, has three kittens: Fluffy, Skinny and Boris. While Mama cat is teaching Fluffy and Skinny how to do necessary cat things, Boris is off doing his own thing (napping). Until near the end, each pair of pages ends with "Boris naps." Harr
Shelby Summerville
The book Mama Cat has Three Kittens is a simple story that uses a pattern that is easy for younger audiences to predict, it written by and illustrated by Denise Fleming. This is a story about a mom kitten and her three children, Fluffy, Skinny and Boris. The book goes through Mama Cats activities, washing her paws, walking the stone wall, sharpening her claws, chasing leaves, and digging in the sand. Fluffy and Skinny follow everything Mama cat does, while their brother Boris naps through it all ...more
Jessie
This is a great, simple, big font book for toddlers about a kitten named Boris who never does what the rest of his family is doing. When they are pouncing, he's napping. When they are scratching, he's napping. When they are walking on a wall, he's napping. But...when they are napping, he's pouncing right on mama and his siblings! Very sweet and good predictablity for the little ones.
Rachel Hancock
"Mama Cat Has Three Kittens" was written and illustrated by Denise Fleming. This pattern book tells the story of a mother cat and her three young kittens. In the book, two of the kittens (Fluffy and Skinny) copy everything their mom does, however, the other kitten (Boris) simply naps the entire time. The book is extremely predictable and follows a pattern such that readers can likely predict what is going to happen next. In the end, however, Boris finally wakes up from his nap and pounces on Flu ...more
Leslie Bardo
This book is about a mama cat that does various cat activities with two of her three kittens following suit (Fluffy and Skinny). Boris, the third kitten, does not follow his siblings and decides to nap instead of following Mama cat. This story was really cute, silly, and perfect for ages 3 through 5. I really enjoyed the repetitive rhythm because it would be easier for young children to follow and guess what was going to happen next. At the very end, Mama, Fluffy and Skinny all decide to nap, bu ...more
Alana
Denise Fleming wrote a great story called Mama Cat Has Three Kittens. This book is on the NY Public Library 100 Picturebooks List. The story includes a Mama cat, and her three kittens: Fluffy, Skinny, and Boris. As you read the story, you get to follow the activities of the kittens and how Boris is different from the two other siblings. This story will teach children that everyone is different and that it is ok to be different and do your own thing! The illustrations in this book were outstandin ...more
Melanie
Fleming's works are always great for young readers and this one does not disappoint. Mama Cat has three kittens: Fluffy, Skinny and Boris. Fluffy and Skinny always do what Mama does, but Boris just naps. Finally, when Mama and the other kittens lie down for a nap, Boris hops up, does everything they had just done, then flops down for another nap, right on top of Mama Cat and his siblings. Silly Boris.

Children will love the repetition in this story and the chance it gives them to participate.
Souaad Asar
MAMA CAT HAS THREE KITTENS by Fleming, Denise. It is a great book for young readers. The book talks about Mama Cat with three children named Fluffy, Skinny, and Boris. The story makes it very clear that two of kittens are way different then Boris who is always missing out on the fun and confirm that his favorite activity in life is taking naps. However, by the end of the book he surprises everyone then went back to his normal personality. My daughter truly love this book because it describes her ...more
Viri
The book talks about how a mother cat and her three kittens behave and do on an ordinary day. What mama cat does so do the kittens, except for one who is always napping while his siblings go after mom. At the end "Boris" the sleeping kitty wakes up and does what his mother and siblings did while he was asleep and finally goes back to join his mother and siblings, who are sleeping, so he sleeps some more.
Fleming does a good job in drawing and identifying the three cats as the book goes along. The
Chelsea
“Mama Cat has three kittens” is an adorable children’s pattern book by Denise Fleming that tells the story of Mama Cat and her kittens- Fluffy, Skinny, and Boris. As Mama Cat washes her paws, walks on the stone wall, sharpens her claws, chases leaves, and digs in the sand both Fluffy and Skinny do the same as Borris Naps. When Mama cat curls up to nap, Fluffy and Skinny too curl up to nap. However, Borris awakes to stretch, wash, his paws, and then pounces on to Fluffy, Skinny, and Mama Cat and ...more
Sierra Hagar
A story about a mamma cat and her three kittens. The mamma teaches her kittens how to do different things, while she does this one of the kittens sleeps the whole time. However when he wakes up he jumps on mamma cat and the other two kittens, who are now sleeping. I think that children will really like this book and find it to be very funny.
Alicia Scully
Mama cat and her three kittens get into a few adventures during their day together, though one kitten is more of a fan of naps than the other two. There's a lot of repetition here that will make the kids laugh, especially towards the end. A must for any kitten fan.
Naomi
Loved the story of Boris who does his own thing. Boris looks different and act different, but that doesn't make him any less lovable. The art was unusual which made it stand out, as well. Simple reading for either the young reader or just learning reader.
Nadia
This is a really cute book to read to Pre-K and K students. It's about a mama cat who has three kittens: Fluffy, Skinny and Boris. Whenever Mama Cat does something like washes her paws or walks the stone wall, Fluffy and Skinny are right behind her doing the same, while Boris always naps nearby. It's a great book to use for character analysis because kids can compare Boris to the other kittens and Mama Cat. In the end, when Mama Cat, Fluffy and Skinny stretch to nap, Boris wakes up, stretched, a ...more
Sarah Smith
This book can help teach: 1:1 counting to 3, actions, and that it's ok to be different.
Katie
"...and Boris napped."
Adorable.
A Gracie and Leah Favorite.
Amy Mason
cats/kittens
naptime
Aprils
I loved the colorful illustrations in this book. According to the book jacket, they were made by pouring colored cotton pulp through hand-cut stencils. They are very bright and lovely, and if you look closely, you can see animals hidden in the corners of the book. When I read this book aloud to preschoolers, I will have them use their hands to act out the actions in the book: "washing their paws," "walking the stone wall," "sharpening their claws," "chasing leaves," "digging in the sand," and "c ...more
Dolly
Oct 23, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
Shelves: 2011, childrens, pets
This is a sweet little tale about a mama cat and her kittens. The repetitive narrative and the colorful illustrations are sure to entertain young children. Our girls enjoyed reading this story with me: I read the parts about the mama cat, our oldest read the parts about Fluffy and Skinny, and our youngest read the bits about Boris. We hammed it up and really had a good time with our own version of Reader's Theater.
Meg
"The artist used colored crayon rag fiber poured through hand-cut stencils to create the illustrations for this book."

COOL.

I see so many picture books in a week that when a unique art style comes along, I truly appreciate it. This one (for cat lovers and owners, at least,) did not disappoint.
Cayla Lile
"Mama Cat Has Three Kittens" is an adorable pattern book about a mother cat and the adventures she has with two of her kittens while one of her kittens, Boris, always naps. This story is a great read-aloud for Pre-K and K students. The story is very simple and sweet; however, I was not impressed with the illustrations.
Mehjabeen
The prediction in this story lends itself to children's engagement in the storytelling. It gives them them the ability to participate in telling the story.

Also lends itself to teaching kids characteristics of cats (they claw and they pounce for example) while they listen to and/or read the story.
Jess Brown
Cute book about three little kittens: Fluffy, Skinny, and Boris. Of course while Fluffy and Skinny are doing everything mama cat teaches them, Boris is off sleeping--that is until Mama, Fluffy, and Skinny want to sleep and Boris wants to play! Cute read aloud book perfect for preschoolers.
Casey
Somewhat boring, very simple story. It was cery cute and has repetition I think younger students would enjoy. Large print and lots of colors, as well as an easy vocabulary, makes this an ideal book for a beginning reading classroom. I love the cats were named Fluffy, Skinny and Boots.
Jessie
I first read this in the early 2000s when I began doing storytimes. One of my all time favorites. My toddler loves how Boris naps on every page. There are 3 different things on each page to count, as well as a mama mouse making her way through the pictures to the surprise ending. Love.
Renae Williams
I would reccommend this book for students in pre-k, it has big easy words and it has a predictable, easy to follow story line. The illustrations are colorful and the three cats are fun, fluffy, and feisty. This is a great family book to keep in the collection.
Rebecca Snodgrass
This book was a very simple and predictable book. I think it's funny how Boris always naps through everything his mom is doing. I also think the ending is cute when he pounces on the momma cat and the other 2 kittens. It's quite adorable.
  • Meeow and the Pots and Pans
  • Hello, Day!
  • Where Is Tippy Toes?
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • A Kitten Tale
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Clip-Clop
  • My Car
  • Jump!
  • Trashy Town
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • Hooray For Fish!
  • Feast for 10
  • Big Fat Hen
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • Toot Toot Beep Beep
  • A Good Day
  • Farmyard Beat
Denise Fleming has written and illustrated many children’s picture books, including In the Tall, Tall Grass, Shout! Shout It Out!, and Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy. She won a Caldecott Honor for In the Small, Small Pond. Denise creates her colorful illustrations by pouring colored paper pulp through hand-cut stencils. She lives in Toledo, Ohio.

More about Denise Fleming...
In the Small, Small Pond In the Tall, Tall Grass Lunch Barnyard Banter The Cow Who Clucked