Or Something Like That

Or Something Like That

4.52 of 5 stars 4.52  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A collection of off-kilter & humorous short stories.

A stalker comes into your house while you are sleeping and does your dishes and your taxes because he loves you. A teenage D&D enthusiast searches for his lost broadsword and some people to roll 20 sided dice with. Little kids make Molotov cocktails out of beer bottles in retaliation for getting shot in the ass w...more
Kindle Edition, 1st, 245 pages
Published July 18th 2012 (first published July 17th 2012)

Erin
Bud Smith will take you on a crazy ride with his dark humor but there is a reluctant romantic hidden in that darkness. He always seems to find a hopeful place to land his reader. If Vonnegut was an optimist he would be Bud Smith. The short stories in "Or Something Like That" are no exception. Do yourself a favor and enter this world of wonder where your stalker washes your dishes, your dog is haunted by a dead ex, and your jelly donut is a bittersweet lover.
Chuck Howe
Bud Smith is like Babies, you really don't want one, but all your friends start having them and then one day you have a baby and decide it tastes awesome and you're hooked!
Cathy
Book Review: I would be remiss if I didn’t admit upfront that I’m not a huge fan of short story collections. I love a big, epic story that I can fall into and collections always seem to leave me wanting more. I took this book for review mainly because my current situation involves a teething toddler, a sick parent, and long hours, and I thought a short story collection would suit my present attention span. I have to say, Bud Smith has sold me not only on this book, but maybe on the whole genre a...more
Gus Sanchez
A woman leaves her boyfriend for a cactus. A couple makes the discovery that the puppy they've adopted isn't a puppy, but a lion. A building superintendent pens a creepy love letter to one of his tenants. Elvis Presley makes an unexpected and unwanted visit. Two brothers attempt to recreate a really terrible Stephen King film. A man receives the gift of winning lottery numbers from beyond the grave. Two donuts fall madly in love with each other. A groom delivers the most horrifying wedding speec...more
Corissa
A collection of short stories that stick with me and I find myself thinking of the characters long after I put the book down. Stories that come with a left hook sucker punch. Consider yourself invited to read this and warned that I think you will be surprised.
Aaron Dietz
This is a great short story collection and the best work I've seen from this writer yet. Always, Bud Smith delivers narration with a strong voice. In this short story collection, he also provides a wide range of settings and types of stories--from the working class normal to the outright absurd. In my favorite story of this bunch, a young child fan of the movie Silver Bullet decides he needs a wheelchair, so he asks his brother to break both his legs--I can't tell you what happens, but oh my goo...more
Margaret Lesh
I'm a big fan of short stories. They're notoriously hard to get published, though, unless you're a Shirley Jackson or Raymond Carver. But there's nothing better, in my opinion, than a well-crafted short story. And from a writer's perspective, it's really tough to write a good one. It's nice to see more avenues available for short fiction with the advent of epublishing. But I digress.

Anyway, I found this book by accident, and after reading the first sample story, "My Brother & Me & Silve...more
Terri
Or Something Like That by Bud Smith is a collection of short stories that range from reality to surreal surroundings and situations.

I really enjoy reading short stories collections, and this one did not disappoint. The stories run the gamut. Many of the stories at the beginning are interesting and fun to read. Some of the stories in the middle of the collection are a bit more introspective with little action, but the collection overall is very entertaining. There are also points where the stori...more
Erin
Most of the time short story collections can be a gamble. Not with Bud Smith. His voice comes through loud and clear, with undertones of sadness and ache. His often fantastical situations are delivered with logic, yet are also raucous and melancholy. After a few lines, I wanted to take the ride. After a few more, I forgot I'd even had to leap. I wanted the book to go on and on. Will be looking for more of his work in the future.
Downward
oiled with the urgency and energy of youth, this collection of short stories moves between social and magical realism, dealing with a wide range of themes and recurring characters that populate a region (smalltown, nj) of boredom and boredom born mischief, piloted by the bored and the mischievous. sloppy like a wet kiss or a drunken fistfight and just as compelling to watch. check this collection out.
Kent Johnson
I loved this collection of short stories. Bud Smith has a great sense of humor and it shows in this collection of shorts. Writing is excellent. I've shared a few of the stories with friends and a good laugh is always aroused. I can truly say that a couple of his pieces reside among my favorite writings.
Scott Harris
Great collection of short stories with the best cast of misfit characters I have ever come across. This is a great collection that can just as easily be read straight through or one short story at a time as time permits.
Mitsy
Jul 23, 2013 Mitsy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is a collection of short stories. The first three are okay. Everything, Scout and Work are great!

Everything is about a young woman trying to earn money for college. Her story is fascinating. A lot happens in this short story, giving it depth. Excellent. I love this one. 5 stars

Scout is a story where a man moves in with his girlfriend - and her cat. Poor kitty! He hates the cat! Dealbreaker! Cat before man! Anyway. Very funny! Then they get a dog....Hilarious! I was laughing during this sto...more
Misti Rainwater-Lites
This is one of those extremely rare books that made me laugh so hard I was in pain. I gave my copy to a friend before leaving San Francisco for San Antonio in 2013. I had two suitcases and they were stuffed. I'll buy this book again soon. That's a promise.
You know when you eat right before you go to bed or have a little too much to drink, and your night is filled with crazy dreams that just kind of end. And when you wake up, you think to yourself, "Huh, that was weird." Yep, that's what this book was like, except the it's less interesting because they're the dreams of a self-centered alcoholic with a sad life.
Also, if I were lucky enough to get published, I think I would get the book edited beforehand.
On a positive note, there were a few moments...more
Cindy Holdmann
This was a very interesting book of short stories. Some of them were very good but others left me saying, "What was the purpose of that?" The writing was good and the characters ranged from well defined to flat. Some stories intermingled in certain ways as well, sharing the same home town,characters, etc. Some stories left wondering if he had actually finished them and some were brilliant. Some of the editing needed help but all in all it was a very interesting book.
Veronica
This book had me chortling into my fist like a stoned teenager in church.

And I'm FAR too classy to chortle. Usually.
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Monika
Monika marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Robert Kristoffersen
Robert Kristoffersen marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Deedles
Deedles marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Robert Kristoffersen
Robert Kristoffersen marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Book Giveaway 1 6 Aug 25, 2012 05:47AM

I'm from Washington Heights, NYC. My current writing situation? Oh, thanks for your interest. Well... I have a very comfortable chair that I found in the trash and an old water-damaged sea green Formica desk from the early 70s. I have a poster hanging over the desk with a naked woman playing the saxophone, the poster says, "JAZZ!" FYI, I don't do any of my work with a computer. Instead, I have a c...more
More about Bud Smith...
Tollbooth First Time: an anthology about lost virginity I Wonder What My Skull Will Look Like Uno Kudo Vol. 2: Naked (Uno Kudo, #2) Uno Kudo Vol. 1: Ripped (Uno Kudo, #1)