Start by marking “Or Something Like That” as Want to Read:
Or Something Like That

Or Something Like That

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  53 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
A collection of off-kilter & humorous short stories.

A stalker comes into your house while you are sleeping and does your dishes and your taxes because he loves you. A teenage D&D enthusiast searches for his lost broadsword and some people to roll 20 sided dice with. Little kids make Molotov cocktails out of beer bottles in retaliation for getting shot in the ass w
Kindle Edition, 1st, 245 pages
Published July 18th 2012 (first published July 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Or Something Like That, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Or Something Like That

Erin
Aug 23, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bud Smith will take you on a crazy ride with his dark humor but there is a reluctant romantic hidden in that darkness. He always seems to find a hopeful place to land his reader. If Vonnegut was an optimist he would be Bud Smith. The short stories in "Or Something Like That" are no exception. Do yourself a favor and enter this world of wonder where your stalker washes your dishes, your dog is haunted by a dead ex, and your jelly donut is a bittersweet lover.
Chuck Howe
Aug 27, 2012 Chuck Howe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bud Smith is like Babies, you really don't want one, but all your friends start having them and then one day you have a baby and decide it tastes awesome and you're hooked!
Cathy
Oct 21, 2012 Cathy rated it it was amazing
Book Review: I would be remiss if I didn’t admit upfront that I’m not a huge fan of short story collections. I love a big, epic story that I can fall into and collections always seem to leave me wanting more. I took this book for review mainly because my current situation involves a teething toddler, a sick parent, and long hours, and I thought a short story collection would suit my present attention span. I have to say, Bud Smith has sold me not only on this book, but maybe on the whole genre a ...more
Gus Sanchez
A woman leaves her boyfriend for a cactus. A couple makes the discovery that the puppy they've adopted isn't a puppy, but a lion. A building superintendent pens a creepy love letter to one of his tenants. Elvis Presley makes an unexpected and unwanted visit. Two brothers attempt to recreate a really terrible Stephen King film. A man receives the gift of winning lottery numbers from beyond the grave. Two donuts fall madly in love with each other. A groom delivers the most horrifying wedding speec ...more
Corissa
Mar 24, 2013 Corissa rated it it was amazing
A collection of short stories that stick with me and I find myself thinking of the characters long after I put the book down. Stories that come with a left hook sucker punch. Consider yourself invited to read this and warned that I think you will be surprised.
Aaron Dietz
Dec 12, 2012 Aaron Dietz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great short story collection and the best work I've seen from this writer yet. Always, Bud Smith delivers narration with a strong voice. In this short story collection, he also provides a wide range of settings and types of stories--from the working class normal to the outright absurd. In my favorite story of this bunch, a young child fan of the movie Silver Bullet decides he needs a wheelchair, so he asks his brother to break both his legs--I can't tell you what happens, but oh my goo ...more
Margaret Lesh
Sep 20, 2012 Margaret Lesh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I'm a big fan of short stories. They're notoriously hard to get published, though, unless you're a Shirley Jackson or Raymond Carver. But there's nothing better, in my opinion, than a well-crafted short story. And from a writer's perspective, it's really tough to write a good one. It's nice to see more avenues available for short fiction with the advent of epublishing. But I digress.

Anyway, I found this book by accident, and after reading the first sample story, "My Brother & Me & Silve
Terri
Oct 29, 2012 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Or Something Like That by Bud Smith is a collection of short stories that range from reality to surreal surroundings and situations.

I really enjoy reading short stories collections, and this one did not disappoint. The stories run the gamut. Many of the stories at the beginning are interesting and fun to read. Some of the stories in the middle of the collection are a bit more introspective with little action, but the collection overall is very entertaining. There are also points where the stori
Erin
Aug 26, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most of the time short story collections can be a gamble. Not with Bud Smith. His voice comes through loud and clear, with undertones of sadness and ache. His often fantastical situations are delivered with logic, yet are also raucous and melancholy. After a few lines, I wanted to take the ride. After a few more, I forgot I'd even had to leap. I wanted the book to go on and on. Will be looking for more of his work in the future.
Downward
Jun 14, 2013 Downward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
oiled with the urgency and energy of youth, this collection of short stories moves between social and magical realism, dealing with a wide range of themes and recurring characters that populate a region (smalltown, nj) of boredom and boredom born mischief, piloted by the bored and the mischievous. sloppy like a wet kiss or a drunken fistfight and just as compelling to watch. check this collection out.
Kent Johnson
Apr 27, 2013 Kent Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this collection of short stories. Bud Smith has a great sense of humor and it shows in this collection of shorts. Writing is excellent. I've shared a few of the stories with friends and a good laugh is always aroused. I can truly say that a couple of his pieces reside among my favorite writings.
Scott Harris
Jan 30, 2013 Scott Harris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Great collection of short stories with the best cast of misfit characters I have ever come across. This is a great collection that can just as easily be read straight through or one short story at a time as time permits.
Mitsy
Jul 23, 2013 Mitsy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: short-stories
This is a collection of short stories. The first three are okay. Everything, Scout and Work are great!

Everything is about a young woman trying to earn money for college. Her story is fascinating. A lot happens in this short story, giving it depth. Excellent. I love this one. 5 stars

Scout is a story where a man moves in with his girlfriend - and her cat. Poor kitty! He hates the cat! Dealbreaker! Cat before man! Anyway. Very funny! Then they get a dog....Hilarious! I was laughing during this sto
Misti Rainwater-Lites
This is one of those extremely rare books that made me laugh so hard I was in pain. I gave my copy to a friend before leaving San Francisco for San Antonio in 2013. I had two suitcases and they were stuffed. I'll buy this book again soon. That's a promise.
Sep 21, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You know when you eat right before you go to bed or have a little too much to drink, and your night is filled with crazy dreams that just kind of end. And when you wake up, you think to yourself, "Huh, that was weird." Yep, that's what this book was like, except the it's less interesting because they're the dreams of a self-centered alcoholic with a sad life.
Also, if I were lucky enough to get published, I think I would get the book edited beforehand.
On a positive note, there were a few moments
Cindy Holdmann
Feb 18, 2013 Cindy Holdmann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting book of short stories. Some of them were very good but others left me saying, "What was the purpose of that?" The writing was good and the characters ranged from well defined to flat. Some stories intermingled in certain ways as well, sharing the same home town,characters, etc. Some stories left wondering if he had actually finished them and some were brilliant. Some of the editing needed help but all in all it was a very interesting book.
Natalie
Aug 19, 2016 Natalie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
stopped at p.114. / so i'm a fan of short stories that are a bit quirky and i thought this would be up my alley, but it was so disappointing. each story was too short, kind of weird but not really and like in a bad way, boring, and i just kept waiting for a good story to show up but none ever did.
Brian Alan Ellis
Bud Smith can fix your pipes and roofing but his book of durable, brick-layered stories can also fix your brain plumbing, too.
Veronica
Feb 20, 2013 Veronica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had me chortling into my fist like a stoned teenager in church.

And I'm FAR too classy to chortle. Usually.
Camilla
Camilla marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Kimberly Ann
Kimberly Ann marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Peter Lucas
Peter Lucas rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Jarvis McFuzzyWinkle
Jarvis McFuzzyWinkle marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Meg Tuite
Meg Tuite is currently reading it
Dec 16, 2015
Amber J.
Amber J. rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2015
Jamie Ezell
Jamie Ezell rated it it was ok
Sep 04, 2015
Dan Burt
Dan Burt marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
  • Out Where The Buses Don't Run
  • Super
  • Beluga (Nick Reid, #2)
  • Christmas Shopping
  • Lost in Tibet: The Untold Story of Five American Airmen, a Doomed Plane, and the Will to Survive
  • The Doctrine of Venus
  • Worlds Apart: 2 friends, 2 journeys, and 10 life lessons - a true story
  • All Together Now
  • The Newfoundland Vampire  (The Newfoundland Vampire, #1)
  • The Amazing Adventures Of Chilly Billy
  • Dark Curtains
  • The Replacement Wife
  • Ribbon of Darkness (The Trouble with Elves #1)
  • Imperfect Beauty
  • The Kiss
  • A Jello Horse
Author of the novels, F250, Tollbooth, and I'm From Electric Peak; the short story collections Or Something Like That, Calm Face, and Dust Bunny City; the poetry collection Everything Neon. I work heavy construction in NJ.
More about Bud Smith...