Start by marking “Backpack Like You Mean It: A crackpot tale of travel through Southeast Asia” as Want to Read:
Backpack Like You Mean It: A crackpot tale of travel through Southeast Asia

Backpack Like You Mean It: A crackpot tale of travel through Southeast Asia

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  7 reviews
This humorous account of travel through the jungles, cities, and villages of South East Asia will save you the trouble of stoically enduring spider bites, monkey attacks, machete throwing tribesmen, hungry lions, and even ringworm. A book great for scratching the travel itch, or spreading it.
Paperback
Published May 15th 2012 by Mad Dash Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Backpack Like You Mean It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Backpack Like You Mean It

Caity
I found this book by chance on Amazon as I was looking for some new travel stories to read and decided to check out the free sample on my Kindle. Within just a few minutes of starting, I was completely hooked! I had to buy it! So I did, and I feel that it was money quite well-spent. It was often very genuinely funny, with the author recounting tales of things that could only happen while on a highly unplanned trip around a handful of countries neither she nor her boyfriend could speak the langua ...more
Kat
This book is excellent and thoroughly enjoyable. Having lived in Asia for many years, I have personally experienced some of the craziness described in the book. I was a kid for most of it, so we didn't really go off the beaten path like Neves and her boyfriend, but I definitely recognized elements of what happened. I can also personally attest to how well-founded a healthy fear of monkeys is -- in India, everyone had their own personal scary monkey story.
elstaffe
I quite enjoyed this tale of journeying through South East Asia. There were a few minor copyediting errors (commas where there shouldn't be, no commas where they should), but that did not detract overly from my reading experience. I loved the occasional illustrations, the absence of overwrought scenic description (just enough to get the flavor of each place), and the author's voice as she took me from the States to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand (again), Malaysia, Singapore, Malaysi ...more
Jason Lewis
A humorous tale of the ups and downs of taking risks through prepared and spontaneous travelling abroad, the book gives the perspective of the amateur traveler attempting the most interesting places in the eastern hemisphere hardly ever explored by US citizens. Good easy sit-down read for someone wanting to see the different opinions expressed by outsiders toward the US.
I am hoping that Neves will one day attempt travels through other hardly visited portions of other continents, from Africa and
Florence
This is an excellent book! Many people tire of travel stories, because they may or may not convey the excitement of being in a new place. However, this book is really an exception and makes you feel like you are dodging monkey attacks with the author! It is fascinating to learn about backpacking into the jungles of South East Asia, and it is even more exciting to realize that the contents in this book could easily happen to you as well! This book is highly recommended.
Ted Guglielmo
Nov 04, 2012 Ted Guglielmo rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: travelers
Fun to read and well written with humor and great anectdotes. It made me want to visit BUT not on bike or moped. and not with a 50 lb backpack.You will definatly enjoy the exploits and stay away from monkeys who want to rip your face off.
Susan
Go get this book! You will laugh and you will learn.
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Ed
Ed marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Katerina Nemcova
Katerina Nemcova marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
Haylie
Haylie marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
Daniel Grady
Daniel Grady marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Lit Bug
Lit Bug marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
Shivaji Das
Shivaji Das marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
Dipannita Maria Bagh
Dipannita Maria Bagh marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2013
heidi
heidi marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2013
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2013
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2012
Sanchi
Sanchi marked it as to-read
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Carolina
Carolina marked it as to-read
Savannah
Savannah marked it as to-read
Megan Hernandez
Megan Hernandez marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jennifer shot into the world one July evening in the early eighties. She grew up on a bean farm in Maine, with her parents, and three brothers. She studied biochemistry and genetics at the University of Maine, where she also learned the arts of mind control and duct tape upholstery. She realized shortly after entering the working world that biochemistry and duct tape wouldn't get her where she wan ...more
More about Jennifer Neves...
Backpack Like You Mean It - A crackpot tale of travel through South East Asia