Start by marking “Half Blind (Freelance Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Half Blind (Freelance Magic, #1)

Half Blind (Freelance Magic #1)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  17 reviews
"Opposites attract...and drive each other crazy. "

"Freelance Magic, Book 1"

Eight years ago, wizard Ashley Brandon thought his mentor was above the temptation to misuse magic. He was wrong, and the aftermath left him scarred. And determined to never again let anyone close.

When he's assigned to a task force protecting an ancient relic, he butts heads with the infuriating, ch
Published October 16th 2012 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Half Blind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Half Blind

Calathea
This one was a wonderful surprise. It's like a mixture of Ocean's Eleven (because it has a master thief and the theft of pricy, powerful artefacts) and White Collar (because we have Brandon, the CSIT agent) with some wizardry in the mix.
I liked the writing and characters. Unfortunately the story slipped away from me at about 85%, when it took a turn that either wasn't neccessary or not executed in a way that fit to the rest. That's why it's "only" 4 stars.
Parka
Dec 20, 2013 Parka rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m, dnf
So I had some suspicions from the very start that kind of ruined this for me.

I don't really have problems with pull-to-press, at least when the fanfic is so AU that it can be read as original stories with no problem. And this one would work that way. But there are always little traces left behind.

In this case it was impeccably dressed, competent ice queen and the hideously-dressed, quirky, buff, tattooed, charming Englishman who delights in bothering him. These are hallmarks of Arthur/Eames In
Pete W
The book was almost like a roller coaster ride but in a somewhat bland way. I like the subjects covered in this book: magic, ancient artifacts and wizards.

The beginning did not drew me in, somehow it felt... bland and dry in an odd way... Different from the dryness that I felt when I read books by the venerable Jordan Castillo Price. For me, the story became more interesting around 2/3 of the book and stayed that way until the end.

The speed and the strength of the MCs relationships progress and
Rhys Ford
I loved this book. Hands down. Loved it.

I loved the character progression and the world building which is always tricky when you do an AU that's just a few steps away from reality. The delicate tangle of real and made-up is expertly done here and the lead characters are tightly written. Ashley is quite wound up and written so, flawlessly while Greer's looser character picking at Ashley's seams was perfectly done.

Great use of magic and the secondary characters stand out vividly against the blue-
Alyosha
Huh. I have no idea why I didn't enjoy Half Blind more than I did, it didn't have any obvious problems. But for whatever reason, it did not draw me in. 2.5 stars
Ayanna
I'd like to say something. First off, Canada. Canada.

Okay, now that I got my 'Murica moment over...
Oh, who am I kidding?

The entire thing was a 'Murica moment. I'm sorry, but I cannot help but snicker every time I hear "Canada" or any of its derivative forms.

Anyways, I pretty promptly forgot what CSIT stood for except there's Canada (*snicker) somewhere in it.

Also...
GODDAMN BITCH. Yeah, wait until the middle of the book to spring that fucking "Charles" shit trap. I'd just gotten used to seeing hi
GayListBookReviews
This book starts off with a bang, almost literally, with a massive betrayal and tragedy. I was hooked from the first couple of pages, sympathetic to the shock and hurt (both literal and emotional) that Ashley Brandon experienced. We’re given a glimpse of the dangers of magic, the temptations to use it for personal gain and how quickly the elements can subjugate the wielder. I was reminded of that moment in The Fellowship of the Ring when Frodo practically begs Gandalf to take the offending ring ...more
MA Jackson
Cassandra
I'm probably one of the few people who found this story to be pretty hard to put down. I enjoyed it quite a bit and the characters were interesting.
Jess
Ok this book surprised me.

I dont say that often in ANY book let alone the m/m genre which I read ALOT of.

I dont think I can say that much without giving away EVERYTHING so what I will say is that - this book is 5000 times better then its blurb. I thought the blurb was okay but it just doesnt do the book justice.

This book is WELL developed with a fantastic plot and GREAT characterisation.

HIGHLY recommended
Tamarrion Lash
Нахожусь в смешанных чувствах от этой книги. Она, по большому счету, неплохо написана, и все при ней, но я же знаю, что автор способна на большее!! Ее The Usual Apocalypse - одна из моих любимых книг. А Half Blind занятна, конечно, но не превзошла.
Paris
I ended up enjoying it very much. It started with a limp but things got better. It wasn't as silly as I expected. I wish there was more magic (I guess, after Harry Potter there is never enough magic). I liked the MCs and how the author build their relationship. It felt good, right, natural. There was humor that is necessary in books like this. IMO, it is a book work reading.
Plainbrownwrapper
I liked this, more or less. Waffling between 3 and 4 stars. My main complaint at the moment is that IMHO the characters didn't always act consistently within character -- and if they had been consistent, there would have been much better romantic tension/conlict between them.

Hopefully I'll have something more useful to say tomorrow!
Lillian Francis
Sep 17, 2012 Lillian Francis marked it as to-read
release date 16th Oct
K
-RMG
Chase
Chase marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Megija
Megija marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Tyker
Tyker marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Charmed
Charmed marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Spirit Sanguine (Sanguine, #1)
  • Hunter of Demons (Spectr, #1)
  • Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
  • Demon Dog (Mojo Mysteries, #1)
  • Inheritance (Dominion #1)
  • Burden
  • Cost of Repairs (Cost of Repairs, #1)
  • House of Stone
  • Blessed Curses
  • Bomber's Moon
  • Life, Over Easy (Fragments, #1)
  • Sight Unseen
  • The Shift
  • Brute
  • A Ghost of a Chance
  • Came Upon a Midnight Clear
  • Brown-Eyed Devil
  • Black Hawk Tattoo
There is more than one author with this name

Christine Price lives with her husband, two psychotic cats and a dumb Anatolian shepherd in Edmonton, AB. Her fascination with the written word began at a young age with a one-page story titled “My Mother is a Werewolf” and took off from there. In her spare time, she enjoys reading good books, drinking good wine and fine-tuning her mental filters.
More about Christine Price...
In Darkness Bound (The Society #1) The Usual Apocalypse (The Society #2) Soul Bond