Romance

Romance

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  22 reviews
A short story, read by Chuck himself and available in audio exclusively from Blackstone.
Originally published in Playboy magazine, “Romance” is a twisted love story like only Chuck could tell.
Audiobook, Digital Download, Unabridged
Published 2011 by Blackstone Audio, Inc.

Scot
If you want to read or listen to this book (I recommend listening) you need to be ready to be offended or disgusted by some things. If you can look past that, you will love it. I listened to Chuck read this when he was touring for his book Damned and he was amazing. He is a great reader and speaker.
Richard
This is best listened to rather than read. It's a nice change of pace for Chuck but still different and cringe-worthy. Awesome stuff.
Andrés
I don't know if it's because I've had too much of Palahniuk already, but I feel as if I'd read this story before. And it's not one of his best. In typical Palahniuk fashion, there were parts that were shockingly disgusting; on the other hand, nothing really surprised me, as I saw the "twist" coming a mile away.

Having said that, there's not really much to hate here. This is a pretty short audiobook to keep us entertained until his next shocker comes along.
Rob
I promised myself I would never read another Palahniuk book after I read Choke, and I went and broke that promise (sort of, this is just a short story). Why would I do that? I don't know why I would voluntarily subject myself to this garbage. Never again. Until I read Lullaby or something.
Brittany
"Magic trick! Puppet Show!" Loved this short story, and it was great to hear it read by Chuck too.
Lawnzilla
:') Beautiful
Anton Petrov
This just reminded me how much I love Chuck Palahniuk. And it is a bit frightening, because he writes about some pretty nasty stuff sometimes.. and I don't know if a normal person should love or even like these kind of things.. Not that such things are present in this short story. But I have to be honest with you - All of it is awesome! The way he manages to keep my attention, the tension of the story, the way he provokes, makes you involved even by your disagreement or judgement. I guess you'll...more
Catalina J. García
"(...) and then it turned out it wasn't the pineapple or the self-discipline because she found out she really had cancer, but she slimmed down to wearing a bitchin' hot size two before she died.

Is this ridiculously dark sense of humor what makes me love Chuck passionately. Some may say that he has no respect for anything, but I say that he has the bravery of behaving as a genuine human being. I want to be like him in my life.

"Romance" is a beautiful love story, but it couldn't have missed Chuc...more
Joshua Boiser
Another witty, twisted yet satirical masterpiece from the legendary and literary god himself, Mr. Chuck Palahniuk.

This short story zooms in on one essential question; to what extent does love is still a love? Then dozens of questions can be sprouted out from the tips of this, such as, does deluding yourself can be considered as love? Does a mentally retarded person capable of love? Is this love?

Now that's a reminder that the book youve just read is a good one. It leaves your mind clouded with un...more
Julia
Whoa, this one was actually so sweet.
Kinda unusual for Chuck to write this kind of story, but it's still very good and it doesn't mean there is no gross-ness here too.
Tabatha Paine
If you love Chuck and how he writes, you will love this story too. He reads it to you in the audio file version, and that just makes it better!
mathjob
"All the while life goes around, and it goes around. And if you keep waiting for somebody perfect you'll you'll never find love, because it's how much you love them that makes them perfect."

Funny. Cute. Weird. Well it's Chuck.

Read this short story here:
Vojtisek
totálně krutá povídka s krásným poselstvím na závěr... původní hodnocení bylo o dvě hvězdy slabší, protože až po chvíli mi došly všechny narážky... zájemci pomocí googlu stáhnout US Playboy srpen 2011 a "nalistovat" stranu 62 nebo na youtube vyhledat autorské čtení...
Brian
Come on now, that twist was unexpected and funny as it gets! I did not see that one coming. I'm not really a big Chuck Palahniuk fan but I throughly enjoyed this shorty-but-goody.
Shehu Benjamin
A very disappointing piece of a short story by Palahniuk, while a very quick read, it tells of only mentally deranged people, which isn't everybody's cup of tea.
Darth
Not long enough for the patented Palahniuk twisted mind-f*ck, this is still an interesting little nugget of a tale of different people.
Paul Servini
Received this as a free download. I thought the narration was well done but the whole thing in pretty bad taste.
Mike
Wow, that was a weird story! Nothing much more to say about it. Didn't hate it, but at least it was short.
Matthew Fryman
Was one of the best short stories I've read in a long time
Igor
Love this Story Chuck at his best!
Allison
Strangely tame for Palahniuk.
Craig
Um....okay.
Lisa Quillin
not my favorite.
Vincent Rivas-Flores
Vincent Rivas-Flores marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Vitor
Vitor marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Don Jimmy
Don Jimmy marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Julie Bailey
Julie Bailey marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Ernest Thomas
Ernest Thomas marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
  • You Do Not Talk About Fight Club: I Am Jack's Completely Unauthorized Essay Collection
  • Dora: A Headcase
  • Clown Girl
  • The Pomodoro Technique
  • Shifu, You'll Do Anything for a Laugh
  • Roomanitarian
  • El camino de las lágrimas
  • Dermaphoria
  • Punk Land
  • Nighthogs: A Pearls Before Swine Collection
  • Angel Dust Apocalypse
  • Newspaper Diapers
  • Hell's Half Acre
  • Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth (Tales of Terror, #3)
  • قوم لا يتطهرون
  • The Healthy Programmer
  • Or Is That Just Me?
  • The Continual Condition: Poems
Written in stolen moments under truck chassis and on park benches to a soundtrack of The Downward Spiral and Pablo Honey, Fight Club came into existence. The adaptation of Fight Club was a flop at the box office, but achieved cult status on DVD. The film’s popularity drove sales of the novel. Chuck put out two novels in 1999, Survivor and Invisible Monsters. Choke, published in 2001, became Chuck’...more
More about Chuck Palahniuk...
Fight Club Choke Invisible Monsters Survivor Lullaby

“Everybody looks a little crazy if you're looking close enough and if you can't look that close, then you don't really love them.” 20 likes