Start by marking “Klinika śmierci” as Want to Read:
Klinika śmierci

Klinika śmierci

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,319 Ratings  ·  726 Reviews
Lata osiemdziesiąte w Stanach Zjednoczonych. W środowiskach gejów i narkomanów szerzy się epidemia AIDS. Rozchodzą się pogłoski, że w jednej z nowojorskich klinik dwaj lekarze, Harvey Riker i Bruce Grey, opracowali lek przeciwko tej chorobie. Nagle zaczyna się seria tajemniczych morderstw. Ofiarami stają się homoseksualiści leczeni w klinice. Czy zostali zabici dlatego, że ...more
Published November 2011 by Albatros (first published September 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Klinika śmierci, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Klinika śmierci

Suzanne
Mar 21, 2016 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I’m aghast. I’ve forgotten to review a book. A Mister Coben book, I might add! Loved this as much as any of his others, but not so much the medical theme. He loves his all star all American basketball, doesn’t he?!

This was an interesting one, a missing protagonist, a beautiful heartbroken wife/model/business woman at the top of her empire, a cop best friend making sure she’s ok without him.

Largely set in Sydney, which was a fun addition and at the start of this one HC states his apologies for h
Bill Garrison
Oct 26, 2011 Bill Garrison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Coben is easily one of my favorite authors. The joy of discovery I felt while reading books like NO SECOND CHANCE and THE INNOCENT is something I hope for every time I read a book by a new author. Unfortunately, this early book by Coben is not really worth reading. Coben says as much in the intro when he urges readers to put the book away if they've never read his books before. Why? Because it is so bad, you probably won't finish it.

Knowing how good Coben was, and enjoying his other rereleased e
Brenda
Jul 29, 2011 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller lovers
I loved this one! Thought it was a new release, and didn't realize it was a re-release until I read the letter from Harlan Coben at the very beginning of the book.

Sara and Michael were a celebrity couple..Sara a top reporter for NewsFlash and Michael a top basketball player for the New York Knicks. Their good friend, Dr Harvey Riker, was in charge of the clinic which was looking for a miracle cure to AIDS. But things were going wrong...the patients who were showing up as cured, were being murder
Katz Nancy from NJ
I beggan reading Harlan Coben with his breakout book Tell No One. Wow! I found a new author whom I followed with each successive stand alone book he wrote. Then one day, very out of character for me, I read Long Lost,the newest book in the Myron Bolitar series. I have since began the series from the first book and look forward to each title in the series. Recently I came across a Coben book, Miracle Cure, which was written over 20 years ago and had not read. While I enjoyed it, it lacked the sar ...more
Mary
Apr 09, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medical
I can always count on Coben to deliver a story that will grab me and hold on tight until I finish it. This book, written in 1991, delivered for me. As a liberal reading the book for the first time in 2014, it might be hard to understand the apparent lunacy of the politicians, religious leaders and researchers in the book, but they all seemed real to me. Perhaps part of the reason is that I remember when the AIDS epidemic hit. I remember the struggle to get it recognized as a disease that could k ...more
Mark Chisnell
So, I guess three stars is a little at odds with the title of the review, and it reflects my initial puzzlement with the book. Coben says in his intro that it's a very early book, and a bit rough in places... so why publish?

I didn't really finish it, I skipped through the last 20% to check what happened, and that's pretty serious. The book's characters aren't terribly real, the plot twist is a little hackneyed, the writing is average and some of the political stuff is self-indulgent...

But. And i
LATOYA SAUNDERS
Ellen
Apr 13, 2016 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coben
Miracle Cure by Harlan Coben.

The author warns us at the beginning that this is one of his earliest books published and far from being one of his favorites. We are informed that if we have not read any of his later books to turn away from Miracle Cure. I have read several of his novels and especially enjoy the Myron Bolitar series.

The aids epidemic has many on the verge of panic but there is one doctor in Manhattan who has dedicated his life's work to ending this disease and bringing hope to the
Helen Beesley
Jul 20, 2015 Helen Beesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Coben...moves quickly, suspenseful, and really didn't see the ending coming....
Muyiwa
Jan 04, 2012 Muyiwa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Miracle Cure is a book revolving around a Couple. The Man, Micheal Silverman, is a renown basketball player with the NY Nicks and his wife, Sara Lowell, is a popular TV Network news reporter. Their family, friends and acquaintances all seem to be connected to a conspiracy involving serial murders, lies, suicides and other such gruesome acts all apparently related to a top secret AIDS clinic.

Miracle Cure is an old book having first been published in 1991. It was brought back into print last year
Deb
Oct 15, 2011 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A doctor is working on finding a cure for Aids. His patients are getting better but are being killed by a serial killer. This book brought up some major problems the world has now and one of them is money and where it should be allocated. If you are working on a cancer cure and you lose millions of grant money to Aids research you might question the decisions that are made. This is the quote I liked from this book: "You see: focus can be a dangerous thing. your view of the world narrows. You gro ...more
Lorna
Jan 09, 2014 Lorna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fast reading, but you can tell it was one of his first works.
Clarabel
Feb 27, 2016 Clarabel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-killer
C'est un Harlan Coben vintage que l'on découvre, avec ce roman écrit en 1991 mais publié vingt ans après. Personnellement j'ai trouvé son avant-propos assez hypocrite : « Si vous n'avez jamais ouvert un de mes livres, arrêtez-vous tout de suite. » prévient-il, sous prétexte d'excuser son œuvre de jeunesse, qu'il n'a jamais corrigée.

L'histoire, donc, nous renvoie aux heures sombres de la découverte du Sida (New-York, fin des années 1980). La clinique privée du Dr Harvey Riker, en passe de trouve
Christine
Be aware that this is not a new book, but a re-release. While the book says "A Harlan Classic - Now Back in Print", I didn't notice that until after I had purchased the book. I focused on the description of the book which mentioned a beloved TV journalist and a basketball star facing a deadly disease and a serial-killer which sounded intriguing. I didn't realize the disease was AIDS and that the book was originally written in 1991 and was just re-released in 2011. Some of the characters opinions ...more
Priyam Gopani
Jan 26, 2013 Priyam Gopani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have started reading all of Harlan Coben books...aiming to be like the biggest fan ever ! Because seriously, his books are simply amazing...they take me to a totally different world...a world of lies and deception...WITH JUSTIFICATION! Coben's characters never deceive without reason..they always have an excellent reason for lying...for deceiving..for disappearing...and even for murdering!

'Miracle Cure' is Coben's second book after 'Play Dead' but it is my 8th or something...and to be fair, I h
Jim
Oct 24, 2011 Jim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When an author is just starting out, rejected manuscripts are expected. When the day arrives when an author makes it big, and publishes one bestseller after another, publishers sometimes go back to earlier works that were initially rejected and publish them. Sometimes these earlier works are gems, and we are pleased that they can finally reach a mass audience.

But sometimes the reason that early works were not published is because they were awful. They were the necessary homework required of an a
Mussy Schold
May 25, 2014 Mussy Schold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who is good and who is evil? , Who is the killer, who is not the killer but the perfect storm that feeds the killer? Doctors, a journalist, a pro basketball player, a US Senator, a father, a husband, a couple of ex's, a bimbo sister, a hired killer, and a baby face lieutenant all make this a fun murder mystery. I would recommend Harlan Coben stories for those who enjoy an entertaining drama and murder mystery without the worries of characters who might tug at your heart.
Heather
Dec 06, 2015 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i enjoyed the story, but it was quite dated. i didn't connect with any characters, and there were a few story lines that didn't get wrapped up. the author warns you not to read it, and even though it was a little rough, it still kept me entertained for the weekend.
Dan
Jan 17, 2016 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I liked this book a lot; it was written very well, but the author would disagree; he put a caveat (warning) about reading this book on the first page. He warned that "Miracle Cure" was his second book and it didn't have the magic writing of his recent books that made him famous.
I disagree... 4 stars
Nicki
Aug 29, 2014 Nicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harlan Coben is a new author for me. Got to admit, I was a bit nervous when I read the disclaimer at the beginning of the book warning the reader to put it down if they have not read his more recent work yet. This is his second book, which had not been published at the time.
I decided to ignore it and read the book anyhow. The topic of a cure for AIDS sounded interesting to me, and I wanted to read Harlan Coben finally as I had been seeing his books around for a while.
Need not have worried. Thi
Erin
Oct 03, 2011 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I should have followed the instructions of the preface and not read it. I love Harlan Coben, he's one of my favorite mystery authors. I don't know the story behind this book, other than surmising that he wrote it 20 years ago and they just republished it as a "new release".... why? Why would you let them republish something you didn't think was up to par? I lost a bit of respect for the author over this one. I seem to be in the minority here, so maybe it's just me. Generally I enjoy picking up h ...more
Rhonda
Nov 21, 2014 Rhonda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked it. Good suspense. A bit dated but still held my interest as most of Coben books do. Nice and accurate presentation of AIDS crisis and society's view.
Penny
Jun 18, 2015 Penny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coben-harlen
What a waste of my time. I love Coben. However, if I had bothered to read the "disclaimer" in the front of the book at my local grocery store, I may not have purchased it. This is a new "release" of his second novel copyrighted in 1991. Here are parts of a review that I've copied from fantascticfiction.com (and that I wholeheartedly agree with) follow:
"His new effort is an uneasy stew of contemporary American types..."; "These types and others are stirred into a pretty unbelievable story that ra
Karen
I was so wrong in my guess of who the murderer was, WOW! Well played Harlan Coben, well played.

At least with Cassandra I went from wanting her dead to glad she got what she deserved. She never did see that coming...karma b*tch.

I was right about Michael's situation and what was REALLY happening to him. How terrible and evil to make him go through all that...so f*cked up. So thrilled there were some happy endings.

Even though he opens up with this being his first book, I can see his writing style.
Joel Margolese
An early Harlan Coban book which is, like his later books, fast paced. It's also populated with characters who were progenitors of Myron Bolitor and friends. But sadly, the plot wasn't nearly as believable as his later books. The twists not quite as unexpected and the characters not as deep or as interesting. It's a fun, quick read, but only worth reading if you've read a lot of Coben's books and want to experience his complete oeuvre.
And luckily, Mr. Coban agrees. In his forward, he says, go r
William Bentrim
Mar 27, 2016 William Bentrim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Miracle Cure By Harlan Coben

Coben has an eclectic style. This book reminded me more of a Michael Palmer or Robin Cook book due to it's medical crisis focus. The crisis is AIDS and the setting is in those frightening years of homophobic panic and AIDS patients facing no future.

This book highlights the dangers of obsession regardless of what that obsession might be and whether it is socially acceptable or not. I'm not sure if Coben meant this book to be a social commentary beyond AIDS but the wel
Giovenna
May 12, 2015 Giovenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, what can I say? This is the 13th book I’ve read from the great Mr. Harlan Coben which concludes me on being a huge fanatic of his writings, and I really am.

The book begins with prewords from Mr. Harlan, telling the reader that he was just in his 20’s when he wrote it, which also serves as a warning for the first time readers of his works. I totally agree with Mr. Harlan there. The book was very Harlan Coben but still lacking from being Harlan Coben.

For the scenes. It was really easy to di
Samyann
Pretty close to Harlan Coben’s first or second novel, narrated by Scott Brick, 13.5 hours of listening in unabridged audio format. Audible indicates a release date of September, 2011 by Brilliance Audio. The original hardback edition if Miracle Cure goes way back to the early 1990s.

An aids clinic, on the cusp of discovering a Miracle Cure, is losing patients via violent murders. If a cure is found there are those who would benefit financially, there are many with suspicious motive. A religious z
Ed
Apr 14, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: coben and thriller fans
In an introduction to this printing of one of his early books, Coben suggested that if you haven't read his later stuff that you read a few before starting this book. I've read almost all his books so perhaps I'm not a good example but I thought, with some exceptions, that "Miracle Cure" was a very good thriller.

The book opens with a Dr. Bruce Grey, being killed and the murder made to look like a suicide. It turns out that Grey along with his partner Dr, Harvey Riker are on the cusp of finding a
Kristi
May 17, 2016 Kristi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
You can tell this is his earlier work. It's not that great a story line and not that fast paced or exciting either. It is ok but I wouldn't say that it's a MUST read, especially compared to his other books.
  • Southern League: A True Story of Baseball, Civil Rights, and the Deep South's Most Compelling Pennant Race
  • King of Paine
  • Stone Rain
  • Mad Powers (Tapped In #1)
  • Son of Stone (Stone Barrington, #21)
  • Treasure Hunt (Wyatt Hunt, #2)
  • Death Benefit (Pia Grazdani #1)
  • Capitol Murder (Dana Cutler, #3)
  • The Crime Writer
  • Vigilante (Shane Scully, #11)
  • The Last Lie (Alan Gregory, #18)
  • Revelation (Book One of the Revelation Trilogy)
  • Don't Tell a Soul
  • Hemelen
  • The Hanging of Samuel Ash  (Hook Runyon #4)
  • 28 Pages
  • She Loves Me Not
  • Reckless (Ty Hauck, #3)
With over 60 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben’s last seven consecutive novels, MISSING YOU, SIX YEARS, STAY CLOSE, LIVE WIRE, CAUGHT, LONG LOST and HOLD TIGHT all debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and lists around the world. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Coben is the winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first aut
More about Harlan Coben...

“stopped her by raising his hand. “I don’t want to argue with you, Sara. I know you feel differently. Suffice to say that this is how I see it.” 0 likes