Start by marking “600 Hours of Edward” as Want to Read:
600 Hours of Edward

600 Hours of Edward (Edward #1)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  5,152 ratings  ·  787 reviews
A thirty-nine-year-old with Asperger’s syndrome and obsessive-compulsive disorder, Edward Stanton lives alone on a rigid schedule in the Montana town where he grew up. His carefully constructed routine includes tracking his most common waking time (7:38 a.m.), refusing to start his therapy sessions even a minute before the appointed hour (10:00 a.m.), and watching one epis ...more
Published August 14th 2012 by Amazon Encore (first published February 10th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about 600 Hours of Edward, please sign up.

Beth Have you read House Rules by Jodi Picoult? It's is still a male with the diagnosis - a son. The book talks a lot about how his mom deals with his…moreHave you read House Rules by Jodi Picoult? It's is still a male with the diagnosis - a son. The book talks a lot about how his mom deals with his disability though. I guess more books are written about boys/men on the Autism spectrum since it is more common for males to be affected than females. But still, there are girls out there with the disability. I agree that there ought to be a book from that standpoint.(less)

A new favorite, 600 Hours of Edward was an absolutely delightful read that hooked me from the first page. The main character, Edward, is 39 years old and happens to have Asperger’s Syndrome and OCD. In this touching story, we get a glimpse into a 25-day period (600 hours), of Edward’s life. It is the story of a challenging father/son relationship, but it is also a coming of age story in a sense, of how change affects Edward's life. It was laugh-out-loud funny, and yet at times so moving I could ...more

Fact : On October 26,2012 @ 8:00 P.M I finished reading "600 hours of Edward" my day is complete,but I won't file the book away , I will want to reread it.

Dear Author, I have no complaint,in contrary, I want to thank you for this extraordinary (I love this word) book , for creating a wonderful and unforgettable character such as Edward.

For the first time in my life, I actually felt like a hypochondriac. And for a day I thought I had Asperger’s syndrome and obsessive-compulsive disorder, my every movement tracked and accounted for, as my social skills dropped off a precipitous edge, only to return to normal the next day.

Edward Stanton rocked 600 HOURS OF EDWARD like Mick Jagger in his prime. His head (and mine) filled with numbers, as we tracked weather patterns, wrote letters of discontent, and consumed spaghetti and Diet Dr.
5+++ stars.

A beautifully written story about a 39 yr old man suffering from both OCD and Aspergers syndrome. I have so many emotions about this book, and I really need a few days to process them all before writing a proper review. I will say right now that this was one of the best books I have ever read, and that Edward is by far one of the most endearing characters I have ever been introduced to.

I am going to keep this short and sweet, since it has been a few weeks since i finished this b
What an absolute little gem of a book! Great characters, great story and so very well written. Loved it! Edward is such an adorable character that you absolutely cannot help falling in love with him. There are many laugh out loud moments nicely counterbalanced with many heartbreaking moments, most especially his turbulent relationship with his father. We could all learn lessons from Edward through his thoughts and perspectives on life. I adored his 'letters of complaints' and I want to watch Dra ...more
4.5 STARS! I just spent 600 delightful, intense, happy, annoying, enlightening, frustrating, hopeful hours , in the life of Edward Staton, a 39 year old man with a developmental disability. Although, people on this spectrum can vary quite a bit, many of Edward's "hours" reminded me of my precious son, Kevin. I'm very thankful for this book, and others, which give people insight into the world of this ever growing, segment of our population. My hope is that people will become more accepting and u ...more
I was on a bus for about 3 hours, today, so I was glad that I paid $1.99 for the audible add-on. I have never regretted an audible-add on, yet. You can’t beat the kindle-sync feature. The narrator was excellent. I wanted to wait and finish book on my commute over the next few days, but curiosity got the better of me, and I finished it when I got home.

This book is very easy reading. Edward, the main character, is endearing. I’m pretty sure that a real person could not experience so much growth a
Jason Pettus
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography []. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted illegally.)

As I've said here before, although I'm a big fan and champion of small-press, basement-press and self-published books, after reviewing hundreds of them now I've discovered that such designations are largely a self-regulating system, and that 95 percent of these titles were published under the circumstance
This was a great book! I found myself smiling broadly and even laughing out loud while I read it. The premise of the story was no laughing matter, however. Mental illness is always a tough subject for an author to tackle in a fictional setting. I can't imagine the difficulty they encounter trying to capture and illustrate the issues a mentally ill subject must deal with while at the same time ensuring that the character doesn't come across as "too crazy". Mr. Lancaster has done a superb job work ...more
I'm not sure what I can possibly say about "600 Hours of Edward" that would do it justice.

The author (Craig Lancaster) gives us a clear picture of all the participating characters in such a way, we get to enjoy feeling lost in the story as it happens. There are no paper cut-out characters here, this is fiction you forget is fiction. It's novels like these that make me swoon with awe that someone was able to *create* this. How? How is this possible?

"600 Hours of Edward" is a beautiful journey ev
Sometimes the nicest surprises come in the most unexpected packages. Such was this book for me. If not for its selection in a GR group read I would never have discovered it. According to the author page this was written “in less than 600 hours during National Novel Writing Month in 2008” by a newspaper journalist. I just think that’s cool. It’s also kind of offbeat, being published by Amazon Encore, something I’ve never really given notice to before.

In all honesty I didn’t exactly buy the rapid
Beth Sniffs Books
The book blurb says it all: “Edward Stanton likes facts. He likes order. He loves his rituals.” I seriously a book with a neurotic main character. It’s probably because [cough, cough] I have some issues of my own and find characters like this highly relatable and admittedly, comforting in an odd kind of way.

It would be easy for me share many examples of Edward’s habits, rituals, thoughts, and observations – especially since Edward and I have some in common – but I will show restraint and will j
600 Hours of Edward

To put it succinctly, I was blown away by "600 Hours of Edward."

Edward Stanton is 39 years old, unemployed, lives alone in a house purchased by his very wealthy politician father, and has Asperger's Syndrome and OCD. Because of his disability, Edward finds comfort in routine, order and repetition bring calm. His obsessions with the time he wakes up each morning and the low/high temps each day give him a sense of peace. He is comfortable with his isolation. These are things ab
Eh...this book was and interesting read. I liked Edward, and he was relatable, which I really liked given his mental health issues. I was unsure how real his experiences would be compared to someone who actually struggles with Asperger's; I would be interested in reading a non-fiction book about this. I found myself skipping over the parts about Dragnet and the Dallas Cowboys just to get through the story. This book was just ok for me, so I won't be reading the next book about Edward.
It does seem there is rather a trend for novels with autistic narrators written by non-autistic authors, and they seem to go along something like this:

'I woke up at precisely 7:23am - I knew this from turning my head a 90 degree angle and seeing the digital clock on my bedside table. This is two minutes later than the average time I have woken up so far this year (there have been 233 days so far because it's a leap year). I keep a chart of it, along with the numbers of left turns and right turns
Heidi Thomas
I have to admit I began reading 600 Hours of Edward with a bit of trepidation. This is fellow Montanan, journalist and friend, Craig Lancaster's first novel and I wanted to like it. But, I wondered, 278 pages about a man with Asperger's syndrome who obsessively-compulsively records the exact minute he awakes each morning? Someone who eats the same thing for lunch every day, drives to the grocery store every Tuesday, and makes only right-hand turns?

Well, I fell in love with Edward.

Rather than a c
This a delightful and insightful book about mental illness and family and relationships.

There is a reality to mental illness that is not humorous, but the story is told in a way that allows us to laugh and see the funny side of things. So while this could be a depressing book, it is not. The book tells a story of hope and healing. There is some heartache because the story could not be based in reality otherwise.

You will fall in love with Edward very soon in the book and I didn't realize until I
This book gives you a real slant into the life of an OCD personality. It's rather repetitious by the very nature of the subject. You are thinking with Edward. And the tale of his life, his relationship to his parents, especially his Father- every purpose too, has emotional balance and some deeper considerations within his own anxiety and slant of reaction.

I did like the way it ended. Edward ultimately has decisions to make that may not be completely logical.

My enjoyment level in the reading was
The protagonist is a 39 year old Asperger’s and OCD sufferer who dislikes assumptions and conjectures but prefers facts. Every night Edward writes a letter of complaints but instead of sending these letters, on advice from his therapist (who is a very logical woman), he just files them in green folders for safekeeping.

The story is bittersweet, initially I was annoyed at Edward idiosyncrasies, but his behaviour is exactly what the character requires. As the story progresses, I became engaged with
I was given this book as a present as someone very close to me has Aspergers syndrome.

What amazed me were some of the parallels between the book and my close one, especially the family interaction. Edwards' father distanced himself from his son because he did not take the time to understand him, thus Edwards' mother followed her husbands lead. Only after his father dies does Edwards' relationship with his mother mend, without the interference of his father and the detested attorney Jay Lamb.

Kath Middleton
Edward Stanton is 39 years old and lives with Asperger’s Syndrome and obsessive compulsive disorder. His life is only bearable because he has established a routine of collecting data about the weather and his waking times and the familiarity of it allows him to cope. Any deviation from this sets him worrying and makes him frantic. He sees a therapist once a week and likes her because she is logical. He loves logic and facts. The darker part of his life is his relationship with his father, a char ...more
Let me say I highly recommend purchasing the audible add-on narrated by Luke Daniels for this book as it will add richness to the story and bring the characters to life. Craig Lancaster does a good job with this fictional story showcasing some of the challenges 39 year old Edward Stanton faces on a daily basis living with both Asperger syndrome & OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder).

Even though a lot of the phrasing in the book is repetitive, I tried not to get bored with it as it was an imp
Anne Hawn Smith
I love this book! Someone compared it to Flowers for Algernon and I agree completely. I've already marked it as a “comfort read” and looking forward to reading it again. It is hard to believe that a book narrated by a 39 year old man with Asperger's Syndrome and obsessive compulsive disorder would be remotely interesting, but I found it hard to put down.

Edward Stanton lives in a house his wealthy father bought him when the symptoms of his condition caused too much interruption in his parent’s
Stephanie Marshall Ward
Thirty-nine-year old Edward Stanton has obsessive compulsive disorder and Asperger’s Syndrome. His illness — the OCD — is treated with medication and therapy, and the Asperger’s is just part of who he is: a bright, funny, methodical man who likes concrete facts and predictable routines. Edward has many abilities, but his rigidity and difficulty communicating with others have kept him from holding down a job. He is supported by his father, a wealthy developer and county commissioner.

Edward is oft
I just found out I won a copy of this book! I can't wait to read it. I work with an individual diagnosed with Asperger's and the reviews of this book thus far suggest it is enlightening and respectful in dealing with this illness.

This is a wonderful read! 600 Hours of Edward is the story of a middle aged man with Asperger's syndrome. While it's true the symptoms and severity of Asperger's syndrome vary making diagnosis difficult, I found this was a credible account of someone with a dual
Tamara Crowley
Edward - he prefers facts; has extreme OCD; writes letters of complaints that never get sent and watches DRAGNET at 10:00p.m. every night as if it is his religion. The story is written from Edward's perspective (which also means the story is influenced by Edward's "afflictions") and I realized half way through the book that I was also using Edward's compulsive habits of counting and recording data as benchmarks that kept me grounded and opened my eyes to the challenges society lays out for those ...more
Apr 12, 2010 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennifer by:
Shelves: general-fiction
Fictional portrayals of people suffering from mental illness are usually extreme, enough to make us take notice of just how "crazy" the person is. In 600 Hours of Edward, we see life through the eyes of a man suffering from OCD and Asperger's Syndrome. What we see is realistic and shows how the life of someone mentally ill can be both very different and surprisingly the same as the lives of so-called "normal" people. This book really sucked me in and I just had to know where this story was going ...more
This book had me straight up crying (no elegant tears, either) from an emotional punch to the gut. I really liked Edward as a character, and as he himself points out, he is really funny sometimes. It's not easy to navigate the world, your parents and new friends when you aren't neurotypical.
I listened to "Edward" on audible. Couldn't wait to get in the car and hear how Edward's day was going. I was sorry to see it end. I hope he's doing well.
What a discovery. Read it almost in one sitting. Quite unique and interesting.
Around the World ...: Discussion for 600 Hours of Edward 7 33 Sep 20, 2015 09:34AM
2015 Reading Chal...: 600 Hours of Edward by Craig Lancaste 1 17 Jan 28, 2015 04:00PM
  • Greyhound
  • The Wonderful Adventures of Geoffrey Scrutinous (Skulduggery Pleasant, #5.5)
  • When You Were Older
  • The Man in the Window
  • The Choiring of the Trees
  • Hurt Machine (Moe Prager, #7)
  • The Last River Child
  • All the Dancing Birds
  • Holly and Her Naughty eReader
  • Fujisan
  • Breakdown
  • Spirit Horses
  • Dear Adam
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
  • Ernie's Ark
  • Pilcrow (John Cromer, #1)
  • The Waiting Tree
  • Killer Queen (Painted Faces, #2)
When Craig Lancaster moved to Montana in 2006, at the age of 36, it was the realization of a dream he’d harbored since childhood, one that he figured had been overtaken by events, as so many dreams are.

“I have these incredibly vivid memories of visiting Montana with my folks on family vacations, and following my dad, an itinerant laborer who worked in the oil and gas fields of the West when I was
More about Craig Lancaster...

Edward (2 books)
  • Edward Adrift
Edward Adrift The Summer Son: A Novel The Fallow Season of Hugo Hunter Quantum Physics and the Art of Departure This Is What I Want

“That's the problem with belief: If you rely on it too heavily, you have a lot of picking up to do after you find out you were wrong.” 10 likes
“The complaint lies with me, not with you. I never could find a way to make you proud of me, and at some point, I think I stopped trying. When you were here, I blamed you for that. I think now, the failure is mine... It occurs to me that death is a funny thing - not funny in a laughter sort of way, but in a twisty sort of way. It's the people who are left behind who have to grapple with the regret. The one who is gone is just gone. Wherever you are... I hope you have regret about what happened yesterday.” 8 likes