The Vow: True Events that Inspired the Movie

The Vow: True Events that Inspired the Movie

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  12,014 ratings  ·  1,361 reviews
When she finally awoke, she had no idea who Kim was. With no recollection of their relationship and while Krickitt experienced personality changes common to those who suffer head injuries, Kim realized the woman he had married essentially died in the accident.

And yet, against all odds, but through the common faith in Christ that sustained them, Kim and Krickitt fell in lo...more
Published February 12th 2012 by B&H Publishing Group (first published June 15th 2000)

Jessica
I was very disappointed by this book, and I think this is one of those rare instances where the movie will actually be better than the book.

By now, I'm sure everyone knows the story - and since there's a movie, there's no room for ending spoils, which is why I'll go into detail about what I didn't like.

The way the book was written was not ideal - the bylines say Kim and Krickett Carpenter, yet only Kim narrated. I would've liked to hear what Krickett had to say. And Kim was very repetitive. Fo...more
Michelle
I can not say enough good things about this book. In my honest opinion I think it should be required reading for any couple going through premarital counseling. After completing this easy read I honestly wanted nothing more than to hug their necks and tell them Thank You for sharing such a courageous story of their infinite faith and devotion to each other and to God.

But let me address the two most common complaints with this book.

It's Preachy: ok you are reading an amazing story of the miracl...more
Margo
I went into this book thinking it was going to be a Nicholas Sparks novel- I was so wrong. It is an incredible story but lacked the romance I was hoping for.
Beth Fred
Melissa Jarmel
If you're reading this book because you enjoyed the movie and want more of it, you'll be a bit shocked or confused when you read this. The movie is cute and Channing Tatum is a lot of fun to look at, but the love story in the movie completely leaves out the reason why they decided to keep their vows in such a terrible situation: they loved God and wanted to honor the commitment they made to him. So the book centers on that theme: honoring God and being faithful. I think it's a really beautiful s...more
Jenn
This is our March book club book. After seeing the movie, I was very intrigued to read this book. It's a quick read. I really enjoyed hearing about how their faith helped them through this trail. It's a great reminder that God is there for all of us. One of my favorite quotes, ”We don't dwell on the bad times but look ahead to the amazing things we know God still has in store for us.” One more that I loved, ” if there is something missing in your life, seek the Lord. If you once had him in your...more
Hillary Peters
Very, very inspirational book. It's amazing how the prayers were answered from God.
"Krickitt's soul can't be affected by any injury because it's immortal. Her faith will always be there. It's there now. We've seen it. God has preserved her for some great purpose, and her faith is there to carry through." The ending paragraph of this book really hit me, I love this book. I can't wait to see the movie, I hope it's very inspirational like the book.
Joan Lattanzio
Ugh. I decided to read the book that had been on the back of every shelf of every single library in the world (for good reason) because after seeing the trailer for the movie I was compelled to look for the book.. Being a reader myself and as im sure everyone thinks the same, books are always leagues aways from the movie.. So I started reading it, to make the story short I believe the movie will be better than the book. Something unheard of right? I havent seen it yet but ill give it that at lea...more
Jenifer
Five months ago my husband was in an accident and suffered a major head injury. So when my BBF dropped this book off to me yesterday. I was intrigued and read it from beginning to end. Our story is different in many ways. My husband remembered me but took time to remember others. We have been together for 18years and we already have children. But in many ways the thoughts and questions Kim had to work through are the same, the early days of my husband coming home were rough. Because of this the...more
martinyfelix
I came to know this book when I watched the movie (which was good but could be better) and I was curious to read the real story from the real people. The book is told by Kim Carpenter but not Krickitt and I wish that she had also told us her story and what she went through. I wanted to know what she felt when she suddenly woke up and discovered that she was married to a stranger, how she coped with that and what made her decide to fight for her marriage.
And although Kim tells his story, I expec...more
Dana Arcuri
Several months ago, my teenage daughter remarked that she wanted to see the movie, The Vow. When I was grocery shopping, I purchased the book in hope she would read the story. However, after the book sat for months unread, I decided to pick it up and check it out for myself.

This is when I discovered The Vow was based upon a true life story about Krickitt and Kim Carpenter. In 1992, the young couple met, bonded through their Christian faith and fell in love over a long distance phone call.

Shortl...more
Ummu Auni
I picked up this book after finding that people who downloaded books with similar taste with me also picked up this. I was intrigued upon seeing the cover, I realised then, the cover made me attracted to read the book.

The novel much basically covers Kim's whole point of view the first few chapters were interesting especially on how they met, fell in love and then, when the accident happened, life changed especially when Krickitt's short term memory of being married to Kim had been wiped out fro...more
Paula Espadinha
Já há algum tempo, fui presenteada com um livrinho adorável - the vow - que devorei numa hora, se tanto!

Trata-se duma história de amor, que não pertence ao reino da fantasia! É, para variar, bem real e por isso é tão especial!

Numa época em que os desentendimentos e divórcios estão na ordem do dia, o casal Carpenter apostou e investiu no Amor, mostrando-nos ser possível um relaccionamento durar e perdurar!

Quando terminamos este livro, por mais desilusões que tenhamos coleccionado, há um pensament...more
Yunita1987
Buku ini bagus banget...buku ini bukanlah buku yg hanya menceritakan kisah romantis ataupun kisah perjuangan sang suami untuk menyelamatkan istrinya. Tetap banyak hal yang aq peroleh setelah baca buku ini. Yang pasti baca buku ini menyadarkan kepada kita kalau disaat kita memiliki banyak masalah janganlah khawatir tetapi serahkan semuanya kepada Tuhan dan jangan pernah berpikir kalau Tuhan jauh dari kita atau tidak mendengarkan doa kita. Karena Tuhan tau apa yang terbaik untuk kita.
Selain itu,...more
Jeanette
Kim Carpenter tells the gripping story of his whirlwind romance and marriage to Krikkit, followed two months later by a devastating three-vehicle accident that put his new wife into a comma. Miraculously, she survived the severe brain injury and coma - but she had lost all memories of meeting, courting, marrying, honeymooning and beginning a new life with her husband.

This is a book of great love and faith through huge obstacles that kept me glued to the page. Kim is courageously honest in retel...more
Eve
No more Christian fiction for me... I mean, maybe it's ok if you're into that kind of books but it was definitely too much for me. The 2 stars, anyway, are not only because the book is Christian fiction but also because the narration is poor, the story has no details and descriptions and the love story sounds great if you read the plot but it's nothing special when yo start reading the book. We decided to get married because it was the logical step?! Come on...
Keri Leach
This book was a super quick read but it was for sure uplifting!! It reminds you that love can conquer all! We cant see the whole picture but He can, this book helps you in remembering to trust in God. Now to see the movie :)
Elizabeth
In the beginning of the story, I found this book very, very boring. Once Krickitt got to the rehab center, things got interesting and I enjoyed this part the most. I loved how she still was connected to God through her journal even after forgetting a lot of other things. Also, she sounded normal in her journal, but not while speaking to Kim.

Now for the Cons, people.

1) I'm sorry, but who names their son Kimmer, and LETS people call him Kim? And THEN his brother's name is a girl's name too, thoug...more
Read, Run, Ramble
I loved the story, but didn't feel like it was all that well written. The story alone is what kept me reading - Kim and Krickitt are inspiring people and the events surrounding their lives are tragic, yet also uplifting (in how the handled them). However, the book came off as very repetitive. Even as a short read, I felt like most pages after the accident were repeats of the same information/concept, written in almost the same way.

I think the book would have benefited from some of Krickitt's per...more
Nicole
I was skeptical about this book. Particularly since Nicholas Sparks was involved with the movie adaptation, and even the Nicholas Sparks movies I like tend to end with me openly weeping in the movie theater. In spite of this, I felt compelled to give this book a try, and I'm so glad that I did. In a world where we tend to glorify violence, cheating, and general discontent, it is so refreshing to read a book about a couple that worked through overwhelming odds. This should be required reading for...more
Nicole
Glad I read this book . . . different from what my usual read . . . and Kim Carpenter's right in his message - their story gives people hope. . . I admire his patience and his love for Krickitt . . .

Overall: 4.0 stars!!!
Gina Meeks
The story was very intriguing, but the writing was pretty bland. I'm still excited for the movie though. Good writing combined with a great story should make for an entertaining flick.
Be Awesome Be A Book Nut
What a beautiful story! WOW....just...just...WOW. This is NOTHING like the movie. Other than she gets hit by a car and looses part of her memory, the rest of the story is NOTHING like it really happened.

This is a short VERY quick read but inspirational! A story of how 2 people meet, a woman where her beliefs are everything, a man who fell in love with her and just WEEKS after they get married, they are in a HORIFIC accident, as a result leaves his bride without any memory of the past 5 years (...more
Jen
Excited for the movie to come out on Valentine's Day!
Amie
I knew I wanted to read this book before watching the movie, but I think this is one case in which the movie is probably better than the book. It is an autobiography of course, of Kim and Krickitt Carpenter, who were in a motor vehicle accident 1 month after being married. Krickitt suffered major brain damage and lost all memory of ever knowing/met/or married Kim. The story is of their recovery and attempt to get back what they had lost.

Initially, it was hard for me to read, because so much of w...more
Stephanie
The Vow
By: Kim Carpenter
June 15, 2000.
Non-Fiction

This story is about the tragic events of Kimmer and Krickett Carpenter’s lives. Kim was a baseball coach for a local college from where he lived in New Mexico. Krickett worked at a baseball store a few states over in California. There first encounter was when Kim was ordering shirts for the coaching staff. He called Krickett’s store to order them. He talked to Krickett and they would joke about baseball. He had a elementary school crush on her. S...more
Denise
I cannot describe how wonderful I thought this book was. I highlighted a lot of phrases, paragraphs, and sentences in it. The things this couple went through...and they kept their promises to not only each other, but to God as well. They never asked once "why me? Why us?"

This book had me crying in the beginning and then in the end. It's a beautiful story. Some people say they want to hear from Krickett. I think it's great and fabulous just the way it is. Both Kim & Krickett perservered and...more
Kathy  Porter
YOU owe it to yourself and to the amazing Kim and Krickitt Carpenter to read "The Vow." For a large majority of my 23 years upon this Earth, I have grown up hearing their story as they are a local couple who live in my community. It was so nice, after 20 years of hearing all about their courage and indestructible faith, to finally read--in their words--how God used a most horrific accident to build their love and use them as His hands and feet to bless the world. The Carpenters are the living pr...more
Anna Kangas
The faith, fortitude, and perseverance this couple commanded in the face of unspeakable tragedy is incredible. However, as someone who was very struck by their story and inspired by their dedication to their faith and their marriage, this narrative is sorely lacking. It would have done their story justice to perhaps work with a seasoned writer to help them recount what happened in a way that would make sense to the readers. This is not a boring story. But it is told in a boring way.

Kim begins t...more
Camille
I am no hero. I have made mistakes just like anyone else has, and I wouldn't be who I am today without my faith and trust in Him.- Kim Carpenter

The story of Kimmer and Krickitt Carpenter has inspired a lot of people particularly families because despite their predicament, they were able to survive it and build a new life. The element that hasn't changed despite the trials and difficulties they faced is the presence of God in their lives. Despite what happened, they placed their faith in the Lord...more
The Vow Movie 8 43 Apr 20, 2013 04:04PM
Which Should Come First: The Book or the Movie? 30 63 Nov 01, 2012 10:49AM
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
  • Hope Unseen: The Story of the U.S. Army's First Blind Active-Duty Officer
  • A Plain and Simple Christmas
  • Meet the Annas: A Musical Novel
  • Dead Politician Society: A Clare Vengel Undercover Novel
  • Everybody's Daughter
  • Flight to Heaven: A Plane Crash...A Lone Survivor...A Journey to Heaven--and Back
  • Queen of the Waves (American Tapestries)
  • It Happens Every Spring (Four Seasons)
  • Beyond Ordinary
  • I'm No Angel: From Victoria's Secret Model to Role Model
  • Travelers Rest
  • Unmeasured Strength
  • Bridleton
The Vow: The True Events that Inspired the Movie Para Sempre: A história que inspirou o filme Steve Joy Paintings, 1980-2007: Uncreated Light

“God hasn't forgotten you, God will never forget you. He says He will never leave you comfortless, and He won't. You can't use Him up or wear Him out. Hang on to him. He wont forget you. So please don't forget Him.” 14 likes
“I want you to remember that in life you will encounter some very tough times, but you can find your strength in God. If there is something missing in your life, seek the Lord. If you once had Him in your life and now He seems far away, guess who moved? He is still there; just go to Him. He loves you with an everlasting love, and through obedience to Him all commitments will endure.” 9 likes