4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  7 reviews
This handbook is a guide to developing stage costumes that are personally distinctive and artistically expressive. Features include: health and safety practices in the costume shop; chapters on pattern drafting and sewing operations; and an expanded section on alterations.
Published November 2nd 1992 by Heinemann Drama

Margie
An excellent reference book. I plan to continue checking it out from the library on a near-permanent basis.
Sally Reardon
Jun 12, 2008 Sally Reardon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: seamstresses, pattern drafters
Shelves: sewing-books
Comprehensive, insightful, and enormously helpful, this book contains the single best sloper method I have ever encountered (no slash & rotate darts for the basic block here, folks!). It also has an enormously helpful section on fitting the basic block with all kinds of common fit problems and how to compensate for them. Also a small selection of beautiful color photos and fun "extras" like a section on wig-making, costume construction, period hat styles, etc.

My only caution is that the basi...more
Rachel
I didn't make it through the whole thing before I had to return it to the library, but what I saw was excellent. A lot of material about everything from machines to patterning and sewing techniques to creativity in making props. This would be a great reference tool.
Miyo
This a textbook used in theatrical costume design.
Everything you need to know about costume shops and the building of costumes
Good sewing construction section.
A must have for all costumers.
Jamie
A necessity for me. I have used this book as a costume designer, costume technician, and in sewing my own creations and halloween costumes. A fabulous book for any seamstress to own.
Janin
An -excellent- resource for costumers and those who like to sew (:
Michael Deibert
Well written, has plethera of information.
Antonis Glytzouris
Antonis Glytzouris marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Antonis Glytzouris
Antonis Glytzouris marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Funke
Funke marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Jennifer is currently reading it
Mar 13, 2014
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Marlinda
Marlinda marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Romanka Bojdová
Romanka Bojdová marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Nando Rodriguez
Nando Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Athletina Melati
Athletina Melati marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Jade Walker
Jade Walker marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Vesna
Vesna added it
Jan 20, 2014
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Zarked
Zarked marked it as to-read
Dinesh
Dinesh marked it as to-read
Clove
Clove marked it as to-read
Andrea Higgins
Andrea Higgins marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Rachel
Rachel added it
Dec 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Costume Designer's Handbook: A Complete Guide for Amateur and Professional Costume Designers From Page to Stage: How Theatre Designers Make Connections Between Scripts and Images The Costumer's Handbook: How To Make All Kinds Of Costumes Where The Truth Lies The Costume Technician's Handbook: A Complete Guide for Amateur and Professional Costume Technicians