Start by marking “The Art & Craft of Story: 2nd Practitioner's Manual” as Want to Read:
The Art & Craft of Story: 2nd Practitioner's Manual

The Art & Craft of Story: 2nd Practitioner's Manual

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Based on Mixon's work as a successful independent fiction editor, The Art & Craft of Fiction: A Practitioner's Manual brings together in one place everything you need to know about writing a novel, an in-depth exploration of the myriad aspects of creating fiction in a warm, entertaining voice that welcomes you into the greater fellowship of all writers. Victoria Mixon' ...more
Published September 2011 by La Favorita Press (first published March 31st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Art & Craft of Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art & Craft of Story

K.M. Weiland
Most of us read writing how-to books for the cold hard facts. We’re searching for some nugget handed down to us by in-the-know people that will transform us into prodigies or bestseller s—preferably both. (Actually, if I had a nickel for every cold, hard, dry, and deadly tome on the craft I’ve slogged through, I wouldn’t need to be a bestseller.) But longtime editor Victoria Mixon’s book offers much more than cold hard facts—it offers a hilarious, engaging read that would be worth the effort of ...more
Roz Morris
I have a friend from colleg who should have been writing novels years ago. It's one of those traits you recognise - a certain way of understanding a character, a flair with language.
This book by Victoria Mixon is going to be my next birthday present to her.
Victoria Mixon takes books we all hold dear in our hearts and analyses why the author set the traps they did, characterised in the way they did, switched the story arc in the way they did.
For readers who are now feeling their way as writers,
Kristen Otte
Mixon's book is an excellent resource for aspiring and experienced fiction writers. She writes from a practical standpoint from her many years of various writing experience. There is plenty of great advice and useful tips on story structure, the creative process, developing characters, grammar and living as a writer. Besides the great information, she will make you laugh throughout the book. It's an enjoyable and helpful read for all fiction writers.
May 05, 2012 London rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writers, Beginning Writers
Recommended to London by: K.M. Weiland
Shelves: writing, non-fiction
——The Review——

One of the frustrations when buying instructional books is determining if a book is written for someone of a similar skill level as yourself. In a break between writing, I spent five years teaching myself an extremely complex 3D program, Autodesk Maya. Once you learn the basics, finding new instructional materials becomes difficult. Much of what is written assumes very little knowledge. Sometimes a book called "Advanced Techniques" targets advanced beginners instead of people who h
Lara McKusky
Alright, I’m just gonna say it: Victoria Mixon is a genius. You can even assume I’m doing it in a sing-song voice.

I’ve read Donald Maass---invaluable. Instructive. I’ve read Betsy Lerner---engaging and funny. Victoria would be their love child. Donald Maass is definitely in teaching mode in his books and Betsy reveals a lot of the behind-the-scenes of publishing which is definitely informative, but Victoria’s book is a funny, instructive reference (and if I have just misused commas, it’s becaus
David Fuller
Man, do I wish I'd appreciated earlier how liberating proper story structure is earlier. Like, say, seven drafts of my novel ago.
Victoria Mixon's book is a godsend for writers working on a novel in any genre. She outlines a basic structure for the whole novel in three acts, and then the structure of each, and then breaks that down into rough guidelines as to when in the MS everything appears -- and proceeds to show it at work in a parallel analysis of Edward Anderson's Thieves Like Us, James M.
Cindy Dalfovo
I liked this book, it presents a lot of things that work, and some considerations about characters, plot, setting, point of view and even a chapter about parsing.

But it drags. A lot of the first pages are spent on saying that characters are important and they should be 3D and have real feelings and habits. Well, yeah, I already know that, it's quite simple and obvious to most people who have been writing for a while, I guess. No need to spend dozens of pages on that.

Other than that, it's an inte
Mindi Rosser
Here are my highlights from reading the Art and Craft of Fiction (2nd Edition) by Author Victoria A. Mixon. You can also watch my 2-minute-video-book review here:

Favorite Section - definitely the revision sections. Her tips for revising the first draft would complement my own revision process seamlessly.

Not-So-Favorite Section - learning how to develop plot by analyzing not one BUT SIX stories simultaneously. Trying to follow all SIX plotlines put my brai
My favorite writing book! Mixon's advice is practical, approachable and clear! Highly recommended!
Scott Kennedy
An inspiring and useful book on writing, especially useful in its comparison of similarities in different plot model structures.
Great blend of craft and art, structure and creativity, all expressed in entertaining prose.
Very colorfully written for a textbook.
Amber Zade
Amber Zade marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
RTucker is currently reading it
Oct 08, 2015
Rachel Skinner
Rachel Skinner marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Drew Rogers
Drew Rogers marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Mark Davess
Mark Davess marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Scott Goodwin
Scott Goodwin marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Caitlin marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Oleg Shevelyov
Oleg Shevelyov marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Rebekah Rhoades
Rebekah Rhoades marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I've been a professional writer and editor for more than thirty years and now make my living as an independent editor through my blog on the craft of writing, A. Victoria Mixon, Editor.

I started out on Goodreads reviewing vintage mysteries as I worked my way through my vast (and growing) collection, but, as it turns out, I simply can't keep up with myself.

More about Victoria A Mixon...

“What Hemingway really did right, though, was work at fiction as a craft to be learned thoroughly and painstakingly throughout his life.” 0 likes