Start by marking “Revenge of a Not-So-Pretty Girl” as Want to Read:
Revenge of a Not-So-Pretty Girl

Revenge of a Not-So-Pretty Girl

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Faye doesn't mean to hit the old lady she and her friends are mugging. But she does. The old lady isn't moving, but Faye has no reason to feel guilty for leaving her there. The old lady might be ancient and wrinkly now. But back in the day, she was as beautiful as they come—a famous movie star. And everyone knows that pretty and mean always go together.

But Faye does feel
Published April 9th 2013 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Revenge of a Not-So-Pretty Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revenge of a Not-So-Pretty Girl

Blood Tithe by Glenn J. SoucyStung by Bethany WigginsAlpha Girl by Kate BloomfieldRevenge of a Not-So-Pretty Girl by Carolita BlytheTaken by Erin Bowman
April 2013 YA FICTION
4th out of 29 books — 25 voters
The Elite by Kiera CassThe Program by Suzanne YoungThis is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. SmithTaken by Erin BowmanDark Triumph by Robin LaFevers
New YA April 2013
51st out of 81 books — 145 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica
Looking at this cover and title, I thought I was in for a bubbly book about a girl getting revenge on the pretty girls in school. Ha, boy was I wrong. I guess I should really start reading the back covers of books I get for review before reading them...

It's 1984 and 14-year-old Faye has found herself in with the wrong crowd. With a mother who hates her and a dad off doing his own thing and not really in the picture, Faye really has no idea where she fits in, so she starts hanging out with girls
Suzanne
The title is sort of deceptive: There’s not really very much revenge in this book, so I’m a bit afraid that teens who pick it up will be expecting some hi-jinks at the expense of mean girls, but that’s not what they will get, so there’s one reason they might not check it out or read it if they do take it home. Another reason some might not dig it is the mid-1980s setting. Just long enough ago that some readers might miss some of the fashion and popular references, though Faye’s obsession with Mi ...more
Melinda
Sep 18, 2013 Melinda rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
I wish that I had known what I was getting into before I started reading this book. Usually I can find a redeeming quality in a book but this one was hard for me. From the hateful descriptions of Caroline's fatness to the constant inability of Faye to own her issues, I just was over this book. So here's the kinda good. The book flowed from moment to moment. I wasn't ever confused about what was going on even if I didn't understand why. I felt sorry for Faye's home situation. Her mom needed help ...more
Natalie Couch
I didn't much enjoy this book when I first picked it up, but Faye really turned it around by the end of the novel. For every recycled plot line in the book, there is also an equally unique message unfolding. Faye is the real embodiment of youth crime and broken, destructive homes. She never comes off as a stereotype, and her growth as a character is touching. I'm a bit confused, though, about whether or not she fully redeems herself for valuing beauty too much. She sees Gerald differently in the ...more
Alma  Ramos-McDermott
Fourteen-year-old Faye lives with her abusive mother in a rundown section of Brooklyn in 1984. She hasn’t quite developed the womanly body or smooth, sophisticated look of some of the girls in her school, and feels plain, flat chested and ugly. Unable to fit in, she falls in with the wrong crowd and becomes a petty thief.

Read the whole review on my blog (don't forget to follow me on "Should I read it or not?" to get all my reviews in your inbox): http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.c...
Kyara
Wisteriouswoman
It had me worried in the beginning when I realized that the main character was hanging with a bad crowd. Even so, I stuck with it and was glad to see it is really a book about redemption and restitution.

Sometimes our best lessons in life come through the school of hard knocks. But other lessons come from the wisdom of people that have lived hardship themselves. This book could be a learning opportunity for many readers as they see the consequences, for good or evil, of the choices that both Fay
Sherri
It’s 1984 and no matter how much 14-year-old Faye Andrews dreams about Michael Jackson’s moonwalking, whenever she opens her eyes, the despair of her daily life threatens to overwhelm her. Growing up in the slums of Brooklyn, New York with an abusive mother is not easy when you are also trying to survive your freshman year of a Catholic high school.

Faye’s stress relief is to take revenge by stealing from pretty girls simply for the reason that they’re white and pretty and she’s black and ugly.
Shelley
This is definitely a fat-hating book. Based on the title, I really expected it to challenge societal ideals of beauty, but it doesn't. Prettiness isn't actually discussed all that much, just that pretty = mean and that other people will like pretty girls no matter how mean they are. But Faye, the narrator, is just as shallow as anyone else. She has a crush on Curly because he's so good-looking, even though he doesn't care about Faye and they don't even really know each other. She comments on her ...more
Megan Jensen
I didn't want to read this book. It didn't appeal to me in anyway, but I started it, and I read it in one night. In the beginning, I hated Faye but by the end of the book, I loved her and Evelyn, and their story left me in tears. That being said, I wouldn't recommend this book for anyone under the age of seventeen. Even though the main character is 14, there are several curse words, underage drinking, and discussion of the male anatomy. I loved the book, just not for younger kids.
Sade Means
In Brooklyn, 1994, fourteen year old Faye Andrews is was in deep trouble. She mugged and robbed an old lady that just may have been a big, beautiful movie star, but she also accidently killed that certain movie star, too. It isn’t the first time Faye hasn’t jumped people before—most of them had it coming anyway. She goes for the people who deserve it. The people who are so beautiful that they look down on the ones that aren’t so lucky to be blessed with good looks or money for designer labels. ...more
Aziza
I'll be honest, when I first started reading this I felt it was a little slow for my taste. I thought that Faye was gonna end up being a delinquent through out the whole book, BUT that didn't happened. When I took the time out this weekend to actually sit down and try to finish reading this novel, I was really surprised by it's journey and the outcome of it. I will admit I cried a lot at the end (to the point where it was getting hard to read hahaha), but this book holds a very special place in ...more
Kathryn
Unless you happen to be a shoplifter or petty thief, this is not your everyday YA read. That's just what I liked about it—Blythe's protagonist, Faye, assumes that the reader will take such activities in stride. I love stories that pair young characters with seniors, and due to the flaws that become apparent in both characters over the course of this story, the relationship between Faye and the elderly woman she attacked is particularly touching. Surprisingly, considering her gruff upbringing by ...more
Hope
This book tells a story of redemption, and uses an odd plot. I thought at first that it was another racial promotion book, but as I read on the story opted more to just how a young girl in 1984 was living her life. There were some parts that reminded my of myself, such as when Faye keeps trying to fix someone else's problems and ignores her own. Also, she underestimates her character and tells nobody about her life at home except her elderly friend, Evelyn Rider. Also, this book isn't boring for ...more
Serina
14 year old black girl in browx nyc is thief an in general hates an grumbles about the hand she delt. But then befriends this 80 year old white lady an attitude shifts. Almost @ end of each chapter excellent piece of thought killing wisdom. Does have couple curse words. One scene of under age drinking an also where boy trys to get blow job. That isn't explicit but u know what he asking for, she turns away cuz Rbr mom said don't get pregnant. Even thou it set in the 80s I think most young black g ...more
Emma Ball
Very good, good diversity for list.
Anna
Pros: Great main character with plenty of flaws and attributes; presents "problems" without becoming didactic or horribly depressing; offers a historical (can you call the 1980s that?) novel that feels fresh and modern.

Cons: A cover and title that seem at complete odds with the book. At first glance this looks like it will be a quirky, fun read. While it's a great story, it's not a light read at all. It was really jarring when I began reading this thoughtful, slow, and tough story.
Connie
I really enjoyed the self-discovery that Faye goes through in the novel because it made her seem more realistic and three-dimensional. The beginning showed her one-sided view of her environment, which got on my nerves a bit, but I understood that it was a result of her tough upbringing. In the end, she evolves into a confident, mature individual respected by the reader. I liked the troubled-teen-mentored-by-a-senior situation and had fun following Faye as she learned about herself.
Autumn
Unusual YA debut about an emotionally detached teenager who learns to open up a little by befriending an old lady she robbed. I really enjoyed the protagonist's tough, world weary stance -- it seemed completely appropriate given her home life. Blythe gently introduces the themes of karma and redemption without undermining her heroine's credibility. Give this to your favorite hard case high schooler and see if they will admit to liking it! Looking forward to more from this author.

If every part of this book had been like the last third or so, it would have been great! It just dragged a little too much in the beginning for my taste.
Erin Schable
This book is not just another teen book. It's a journey. It's about how chance meetings change lives, it's about the journey of a delinquent girl into a young woman who may not have had a chance if not for her meeting an old woman and making some selfish choices that ended up not being so selfish. It's about how it's never too late to be touched by someone new no matter how old you are or how hard you try to isolate. It's a beautiful story and I'm happy I read it.
Carolita Blythe really names the feeling of the time (1984) and commands a good sense of place ~ Flatbush neighborhood at that time. One of my favorite parts was seeing how the main character came to understand why she hung out with a bad crowd and what she got out of the thuggery they were wrapped up in committing. The changes that come about, and her understanding of her own mother's anger and violence toward her are very convincingly portrayed.

Kefira
Jan 19, 2014 Kefira rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Cover and title were misleading, not sure why it was set in 1984, good but nothing special
Janet
Oct 05, 2013 Janet rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Powerful read about the power of love, of redemption, of family. When Faye and her friends rob and old lady and Fay accidentally knocks her down, she worries about the old lady and goes back to check on her. Thus begins an unusual friendship of two very lonely people. I'll have to admit, I teared up at the end. Great MS read.
Pam Bohmfalk
While I liked the ultimate message of this title, it seems like it took forever to get to a part I could enjoy. There are lots of discussable issues in this book but there seems to be a lack of focus - sort of like real life I guess. This one just didn't do it for me.
This book was really interesting because it came from the perspective of someone that we normally would look down upon in society - a young black girl who is involved in crimes not out of necessity, but to gain a rush. A really endearing read that creates hope for the future.
Melissa
So, a decent teen book with an interesting black heroine and a strong intro. But the author has set the plot in 1984 for no discernable reason, and there's way too much packed into the story. I'm not sure teens will stay with it the whole way through.
Jamie
I liked this novel about a young girl growing up in '80s Brooklyn who gets sucked into a crime that takes her in ways that neither she (nor you ) will see coming. Fully realized with a strong sense of time and place.
Alicia
Wonderful! One of the best YA books I've read in a long time. Took a few days to settle into the story but after that, I couldn't put it down in anticipation of how the book would end. Loved it!
  • Nine Days
  • Pinned
  • Son of a Gun
  • Road Trip
  • Tell Us We're Home
  • Sweet 16 to Life (Langdon Prep #3)
  • The Secret Prophecy