Start by marking “Suspect” as Want to Read:
Suspect
Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Suspect

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  12,199 ratings  ·  1,791 reviews
LAPD cop Scott James is not doing so well. Eight months ago, a shocking nighttime assault by unidentified men killed his partner Stephanie, nearly killed him, and left him enraged, ashamed, and ready to explode. He is unfit for duty...until he meets his new partner.

Maggie is not doing so well, either. A German shepherd who survived three tours in Iraq and Afghanistan sniff
Published January 22nd 2013 by Putnam Adult

To ask other readers questions about Suspect, please sign up.

Kemper
My mother is the office manager for a small city’s police department and several years ago I visited her at work, and she introduced me around the station. The K9 came in with his handler, and the dog ran up to my mom for a happy hello. He noticed me and immediately went into a Who-The-Hell-Is-In-My-Office mode. The officer gave him the ‘Be cool.’ command, and the dog was instantly friendly. After a quick sniff to make sure I wasn’t carrying drugs or explosives (Luckily, I had locked them all in ...more
Alan
Perhaps you'll start this book, as I did, by wishing it had been Elvis Cole #14 and/or Joe Pike #5. But you will definitely finish it cheering and hoping that it is actually Scott & Maggie #1!

This was a great new read from Robert Crais with a cast of new characters (although the hyper sex-driven SID criminalist John Chen from the Cole/Pike books makes a cameo appearance in his usual sleazy style) centring around two post-traumatic stress syndrome damaged survivors trying to make a go of it a
O'Dell Isaac
I'm a big fan of Robert Crais' Elvis Cole series (and the Joe Pike spinoff series), but I must admit I have been less of a fan of his stand-alone fiction. This is not a knock on Crais as a writer; it's more about my own tendency to form attachments to series characters. So when Suspect came out and I realized it was a stand-alone, I was less than enthused. But in my desperation for something new to read, I reluctantly picked it up.

It turned out to be one of Crais' best novels.

LAPD officer Scott
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
A man and his dog. It's a beautiful thing.

Maggie the German shepherd kicked this up into the five-star zone for me. Crais made her so real that I wanted to zip down to L.A. and stage a dognapping. Of a fictional dog...

Scott James is a Los Angeles cop with PTSD. Maggie has PTSD too, following an event in her service to the U.S. Marines. Scott and Maggie team up to solve a murder, and they end up rehabilitating each other.

I loved the way Crais included small sections viewed from the dog's perspe
Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
Jan 28, 2014 Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Admirer's of Working Dogs
This sounded great! About a working dog (don’t even get me started, I’m fanatical in my admiration) and a police officer both struggling with PTSD. Maggie the dog was a bomb sniffer in Afghanistan, Scott an LAPD cop. Both lost their partners, both are wounded - unable to function - that is till they meet and form a healing bond. Well written, the debilitating symptoms of PTSD described with finesse. I mean what’s not to like? An interesting touch Scott doesn’t even LIKE dogs, only chose a K-9 c ...more
Ami

I gobbled this up for few hours -- safely to say that this is, so far, my FAVORITE Robert Crais novel, Cole/Pike notwithstanding.

For me personally, this novel is less on the thriller-suspense but more on the friendship between Scott and the amazing 85-pound black-and-tan German shepherd dog by the name of Maggie. Both Scott and Maggie have experienced a tragedy in their lives.

Scott got shot at the same night he lost his partner, Stephanie in a sudden nighttime assault. Scott always fee
Mike (the Paladin)
What can I say here other than...SCORE? Excellent read.

What we got here is a story of two badly, badly injured individuals who are brought together by circumstances and help each other heal as they also help those who come in contact with them. The fact that one of the individuals is a German Shepherd makes no difference at all.

Or for some may even make it better...Dean Koontz would love this book. Someone needs to recommend it to him.

Maggie is a Marine. She has multiple jobs but one of them is
Karla

4.5 Stars! Gripping, intense plot...fantastic narration!

Maggie
 photo 1ea8dfa6-ef98-447d-b337-dc31d6fe9c40_zpsnrkysv45.jpg
My first read by this author and I really enjoyed it! While there was a satisfying ending, I could see these characters finding their way into another story, and I'm hoping that's a possibility! Do you hear me Robert Crais??

About the audiobook...
 photo audiogif_zpse5a62770.gif
Macleod Andrews is one of my favorite narrators. This talented man knows how to use his voice no matter the genre of book he reads, and always gives it that extra little punch!
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
This is a book that you need to read if you're an animal lover! I loved the whole aspect of the bond that formed between Scott and Maggie. They are both wounded warriors, grieving their lost love ones, and somewhat rejected because of their emotional/physical wounds. Maggie was so awesome, I felt my heart fill with love for this wonderful German Shepherd. I am a huge fan of this breed, and Crais presents their wonderful natures in the most truthful and vibrant way.

Crais fills in some interestin
Sean Peters
My second Robert Crais book, and this was a very entertaining, enjoyable, exciting read.

I am an animal lover, which helps with this book, I admire the work done with all dog trainers/handlers/soldiers/police, which is the base of this story.

What a team, one man and his dog, or one policeman and his dog.

You feel throughout this book the relationship grow and built between a dog recovering from injury and a policeman recovering from injury together.

The tension stays at an even pace for two thirds
Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated"
I just loved this book! I would've given it 3 stars just for the dog! But, it added to that with a great mystery-thriller-police procedural storyline and the relationship that grows between a man and his K9 partner (both of whom have PTSD) just makes it that much better.

I also really liked Maggie's POV. That was just cherry on the top. It also made me think of my relationship with my dogs all the more. They are pack and I am their pack.

I think even non-dog people would like this book, but if y
Cathy DuPont
Well, I did start this book about six weeks or more ago but only got through the first chapter when a library book called or something. New books have only two weeks, so I had to get those behind me. That's my lame excuse for starting this one, then putting it down. That and then just forgetting.

Robert Crais is one of my favorite writers living today. Now I can say that I've read everything he's written.

Editorial Comment - Characters in Series
This is a stand-alone and let me say up front, that
Robert
SUSPECT had all the makings of a good novel, at least on paper anyway: well-rounded characters, intriguing plot, subplots, and interesting twists along the way. But I can’t help but think it was like kissing your sister. Sure, you can grin and bear it and hold back the gag reflex and then immediately drink a bottle of Scope, but there’s no spark, no flare. The moment ends and then you end up racing off in the other direction and having nightmares for weeks.

Maggie certainly had plenty of chutzpah
Will
If you have ANY affection for dogs at all, "Maggie" will capture your heart. Battered, bruised, and suffering from canine PTSD after serving as a Marine in Afghanistan, Maggie comes home after being badly injured and is recruited into the LAPD. Teamed with her human partner, Scott - who has issues of his own - the two of them meet, bond, and eventually trust each other with their lives. The chapters written in Maggie's POV are priceless.
Rex Fuller
Truly Outstanding. One of Crais' best. On a par with Taken and The Watchman. If you are a dog person you will know exactly what is going on. If you are a cat person you will learn a lot.
Sharon Michael
Great read. Excellent portrayal of PTSD in both men and dogs and a realistic and compassionate view of the emotional attachment between the working partners. This is going to be one that I re-read.
KatieMc
Nov 14, 2014 KatieMc rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery solving dog lovers
Recommended to KatieMc by: Danny Tyran
How have I never read Robert Crais before? This was the perfect damaged cop meets new damaged partner and they fight their way back sort of story. Scott and Maggie are a newly formed pack. Scott is the human alpha and Maggie is his Afghanistan veteran German Shepard. Turns out I have a thing for mystery solving Afghanistan vets.
[spoiler]
Cormoran Strike FTW!
[/spoiler]
Scott and Maggie suffer from both physical wounds and PTSD. Scott was shot in the line of police duty, but he was lucky as his part
Kathleen
I liked it, and want a sequel. My first book by this author, but I've seen plenty of his crime-drama television series. This felt similar, with that general feeling that everything will turn out okay in the end. Or so I hoped.

Loved the German shepherd Maggie, rejoicing to form a new pack. Her alpha, Lieutenant Scott James. Her joy at being able to protect and serve him. He may be all about saving the world and avenging his dead partner Stephanie, but Maggie Girl is all about him. Whatever makes
Danny Tyran

I loved this Robert Crais's novel. So much that I pre-ordered his next book (The Promise), due out April 28. I'm looking forward to reading it.

I thought that because Scott is a policeman and his partner, Maggie, is a dog, it was very different from Crais' usual books, in which both partners, Cole and Pike are humans, with Cole being private detective and Pike, his long-time friend, always ready to assist in his investigations or when things go wrong.

But Scott is on paid leave, since he was shot
Jane Stewart
3 stars. Above average for the dog relationship. Average detective story. Good suspense toward the end.

Two things are happening.
ONE:
Scott and a dog recently recovered from gunshot wounds. They lost their work partners in the shootings. They suffer post traumatic stress and jump when they hear loud noises. The dog was a military dog sniffing for bombs in Afghanistan. Scott was a Los Angeles cop. The story begins with Scott joining the K-9 division where he meets Maggie the dog. The two begin tra
Anna Erishkigal
When was the last time you read a book that made you choke up and cry in the first chapter? I was recommended this book by a fellow dog lover and I just love-love-love Maggie, and the fact some of the chapters are written from her point-of-view. Gives a realistic depiction of PTSD. This is a great thriller that you'll have a hard time putting down.
Carol
I heard Robert Crais talk about his book Suspect a while ago. I was immediately attracted to the story by Crais' enthusiasm for his subject. Many authors are dog owners, some host to a houseful. I thought Crais was one of them. Reading his bio I see his home is a feline one at present but I knew there had to be dogs in his past. Reading additional interviews Crais explains he had always had dogs from the time he was a kid. The last, Yoshi, was a big guy, an Akita. After living with Crais for fif ...more
Glee
Not a bad book. But not a good book. Disappointed, because I have come to expect so much more from Crais. I adore the Elvis Cole books, and grew to really like his sidekick, Joe Pike. But this book and his last (Taken) seemed flat to me. Well written, clean prose, decent plot, just...flat. (I will concede the second half of the book was much more of a page turner than the first half.)

About halfway through this book I hit upon a passage that reminded me of what I was missing - the humor. Best del
Linda
I loved this book for several reasons:
It's not filled with gratuitous violence. Oh yeah, someone does get shot 16 times, but it fits with the plot. These days crime writers seem to dispose of victims in the most sadistic ways possible, and then describe the scenes in excruciating, disgusting detail. Not Crais.

Second, this book includes a K9 that you can't help but love. Give me a mystery, include a dog, and I'm hooked! Crais strikes me as a cross between David Rosenfelt and Michael Connelly.

His
Sandi
Robert Crais is one of those authors who you can always count on for good, quality entertainment and this book was no exception. Listened to the audio version which was narrated by MacLeod Andrews.
James Thane
MWD Maggie T415 is an eighty-five pound black and tan German shepherd; she's also a Marine halfway through her second deployment in Afghanistan. With her handler, Pete Gibbs, she works as part of a patrol and explosives detection team. The two are devoted to each other and then one morning, while out on patrol, Maggie is sniffing out IEDs, when the unit comes under enemy fire. Pete is killed; Maggie is badly wounded and when they are choppered out together, Maggie is left with no one.

Scott James
Jerry
Once we discovered Robert Crais and his great character, the wise-cracking but clever LA private detective Elvis Cole, we have slowly exhausted the entire Crais bibliography. In addition to thirteen Cole novels, usually featuring some brawn from his silent partner, the mysterious Joe Pike, there are now two more books with Pike as the leading man; and four additional standalone mystery thrillers not part of either set.

“Suspect” falls into that latter category, and to a great extent, is a “man an
Tony
SUSPECT. (2013). Robert Crais. ***.
The first part of Crais’s new novel is doggerel. Well, not really doggerel: it’s about a dog. This dog, Maggie, was a trained military dog, one who had been selected and honed to detect a vast number of chemicals used to make explosive devices. She was on her third tour with her handler, a Marine, in Afghanistan, when a suicide bomber blew himself up in front of them. Then a sniper took aim and shot Maggie from his post in a small village. Her handler was dead
Randy
LAPD cop Scott James and his new partner, Maggie, are both broken beings.

Just over nine months before, Scott and his then partner had witnessed a car accident and went to render aid, only to be fired upon by two men in the big rig that had t-boned the Bentley. Another vehicle had roared up and two more men with automatic weapons had joined the ambush. They were firing on the Bentley and Scott and his partner Stephanie as well. Both hit, Scott tries to reach their police unit for the shotgun and
Miles
Full review on my blog:- http://www.milorambles.com/2013/04/28...

I should begin this review by writing a quick disclaimer! I’ve never ever wanted a dog, a cat, a gerbil or a pet of any kind, I’ve never had a pet in my life – unless you count a goldfish that survived for one day when I was in primary school – and I blame my parents entirely for this horrific upbringing!! I’ve never expected to get to this point in my life and want one, that is until now and I blame Robert Crais entirely! Ok so it
  • A Serpent's Tooth (Walt Longmire, #9)
  • Hounded: An Andy Carpenter Mystery
  • The Black Box (Harry Bosch, #18)
  • Silken Prey (Lucas Davenport, #23)
  • Ghostman (Jack White, #1)
  • Creole Belle (Dave Robicheaux, #19)
  • Robert B. Parker's Wonderland (Spenser, #41)
  • The Boyfriend (Jack Till, #2)
  • Breaking Point (Joe Pickett, #13)
  • Guilt (Alex Delaware, #28)
  • Black Fridays (Jason Stafford, #1)
  • The Execution (Jeremy Fisk, #2)
  • Never Go Back (Jack Reacher, #18)
  • Die a Stranger (Alex McKnight, #9)
Robert Crais is the author of the best-selling Elvis Cole novels. A native of Louisiana, he grew up on the banks of the Mississippi River in a blue collar family of oil refinery workers and police officers. He purchased a secondhand paperback of Raymond Chandler’s The Little Sister when he was fifteen, which inspired his lifelong love of writing, Los Angeles, and the literature of crime fiction. ...more
More about Robert Crais...
The Watchman (Joe Pike, #1) The Sentry (Elvis Cole, #12, Joe Pike, #3) The First Rule (Joe Pike, #2) The Monkey's Raincoat (Elvis Cole, #1) The Last Detective (Elvis Cole, #9)

“Talk to her, goddamnit. She ain't a stick of furniture. She is one of God's creatures, and she will hear you. I see these goddamned people walkin' dogs, yakking on their phones, makes me wanna kick their sissy asses. What they got a dog for, they want to talk on their phones? That dog there will understand you, Officer James. She will understand what's in your heart. Am I just shouting at the grass and dog shit out here, or are you reading what I am telling you?” 12 likes
“A dog could see your heart in your eyes, Budress told him, and dogs were drawn to our hearts.” 9 likes