Oh, wie schön ist Panama

Oh, wie schön ist Panama

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  2,355 ratings  ·  24 reviews

Little bear and little tiger live in a little house by the river. One day, a wonderful-smelling crate floats past them, with the word PANAMA written on it. Little bear and little tiger decide that Panama must be the land of their dreams, and set off on a quest to find it.

A touching story about learning to appreciate what you have.

“Janosch’s pictures of the adventurers have

Published January 31st 2002 by Beltz (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Oh, wie schön ist Panama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh, wie schön ist Panama

The Neverending Story by Michael EndeMomo by Michael EndeThe Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob GrimmKrabat by Otfried PreußlerThe Little Ghost by Otfried Preußler
Best German Children Literature
12th out of 158 books — 126 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnimal Farm by George OrwellSwitch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  Prince
Best Talking-Animal Books
90th out of 348 books — 487 voters

More lists with this book...

Martini
Als vor dem Haus des kleinen Bären und des kleinen Tigers eine Kiste mit der Aufschrift "Panama" angespült wird, die auch noch herrlich nach Bananen duftet, machen sich die beiden Freunde auf den Weg, um dieses wunderbare Land zu finden, denn dort wo Bananen wachsen, muss es auf jeden Fall besser sein als zu Hause. Auf ihrer Reise machen sie viele neue Bekanntschaften und erleben so manches Abenteuer, bis sie schließlich erkennen, wo es wirklich am schönsten ist.

Was habe ich das Buch als Kind ge...more
Mimi
Jun 18, 2008 Mimi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Libby & Anna
Shelves: kids-books
the English translation is" "The trip to Panama" by Janosch. I am currently trying to purchase the English version to see if it does it justice. Janosch is one of the best-known German artists and children's book authors. The tiger-duck is an absolute cult in Germany for Generations .

The stories and the writing is fresh and endearing. The little tiger and the little bear find a banana crate and decide to travel to the place the bananas came from.

In the middle of the cute illustrations you see...more
Theresa
Probably one of my favourite German children's books out there, or really, any book for that matter. The illustrations are beautiful and the story itself and the moral it conveys is just outstanding.
Žilvinas Navickas
Beautiful fairytale that I found in primary school library. I remember the feeling of freedom reading it, and freedom of joy, travel, dreams.
Kiberius
This book was the reason I was obsessed with Panama for a long time during my childhood.
Manuela Tinoco
this book is ADORABLE... read it when I was a child
Hans
Een mooi boek. De sfeer die geschetst wordt spreekt me erg aan: het kleine wereldje van beer en tijger dat opgeschrikt wordt door fantasieen over het magisch klinkende Panama. Een boek over perceptie, over de onbereikbaarheid van dromen en over de doelloosheid van het bestaan.
Katarina
A sweet little story about a Tiger and a bear trying to find their way to something better, but having fun and remaining wonderfully optimistic along the way. The illustrations are as much a part of the story as the text (which often refers to the illustrations), and feature, if you pay attention offbeat details. A book I will love to read to my kids someday.
j.
I still remember this being one of my favourite books when I was little and just in kindergarten. My mom read this to me a lot and when I finally could read it by myself, I kind of did all the time. Beautiful story, as everything by Janosch.
Adinda
Mijn eigen versie is weliswaar uit 1989, maar dat ik daarmee al de 26e druk in handen heb zegt eigenlijk al genoeg: een heerlijk zelflees-prentenboek, met de intussen overbekende personages (de Tigerente!) en illustraties. Feelgood-jeugdsentiment!
Fi °♥° LoveMoonStars
I've read this when I was really, really young.
It is one of those good children books you can have that has great colourful pictures and big letters (which is easier to read) in them, which makes them fun to read.
Callie
You know, I recently re-read this book, and it's not the same as I remember it. I will say, though, that I think Tiger takes an unfair advantage of Bear's good nature.
Claire
I am really not sure if I consider this a childrens book. Anyway, I loved it. The bear and tiger are so cute! They have a lovely adventure. Wonderful!
Lucy Chau
no sé si es gracias a esta historia que cuando digo Panamá en Europa, me dicen "oh...bananas", pero no es cierto que Panamá huele a bananas.
Kristen
This was a very popular children's book in Germany when I was there, so I bought it. :) We saw Tiger-Ente's everywhere!
Kristīne
Ak, skaistā Panama bija tik skaista un forša! Šī ir tā grāmata, kuru gribas nopirkt saviem vēl nedzimušajiem bērniem.
Tina
This is a lovely, quirky, quiet little story about looking for a better life and finding it, with a little twist.
Aliena
Oh man, how much I love this little book. Even now with 32 it's still one of my favorite children's books.
Max
Really hard to read even though it is a children book. That's because it is in German.
Mazz Linkin
i read this on day as a kid... and i cant remember anything...
Maria Kukkonen
I read it in Finnish and me and my mom, we adore the illustration.
Azur
This is the very first book I had to read in school.
Rosamund
Was für ein schöne Kindergeschichte :)
Miglė
The best read book in my childhood :)
  • Jim Knopf und Lukas der Lokomotivführer
  • Die kleine Hexe
  • Eine Woche voller Samstage (Sams, #1)
  • Immer dieser Michel
  • Pünktchen und Anton (Dots and Anton)
  • Die rote Zora und ihre Bande
  • Max und Moritz. Eine Bubengeschichte in sieben Streichen
  • Die Wilden Hühner (Die Wilden Hühner, #1)
  • The Little Vampire
  • Pancakes for Findus (Findus and Pettson) (Findus & Pettson)
  • Der Trotzkopf
His real name is Horst Eckert. He is mostly known for his books for children which have won several awards.

Website: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janosch
More about Janosch...
Post für den Tiger Ich mach dich gesund, sagte der Bär Komm, wir finden einen Schatz Traumstunde für Siebenschläfer Polski Blues: Roman (German Edition)