Start by marking “From Buddha to Jesus (Chinese Simplified): An Insider's View of Buddhism & Christianity (Chinese Edition)” as Want to Read:

“From Buddha to Jesus” is currently the second-bestselling Christian book of all time in Thailand, a 95% Buddhist country. Now you can learn the 2 most popular religions in 1 book!

Widely acclaimed by readers who grew up with Buddhism and despised by a few Western converts to Buddhism, this book is now in 7 languages. Ignore the foreigner’s perspective and get the insider’
Paperback, Chinese Edition, 200 pages
Published 2012 by Discover Media (first published October 26th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about From Buddha to Jesus (Chinese Simplified), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Buddha to Jesus (Chinese Simplified)

Steve Cioccolanti
Jul 15, 2012 Steve Cioccolanti rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to you and your family / friends who have made this a bestseller in several countries, and the 2nd bestselling Christian book of all time in Thailand, my beloved nation of birth. True Buddhists are courteous, open-minded people who long for a way out of endless suffering. Christ loves Buddhists and He speaks to Buddhist hearts. True Christians will look for ways to improve their witnessing so as to share the truth of Christ every day.

God has done far more than I could have hoped for or i
Zoe
Jul 11, 2012 Zoe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a gem! Written in an easy friendly manner, I learned more about Buddhism than most of my Buddhist friends were aware of. The stories were interesting & illustrative. I liked that the author was respectful of both religions because I've heard of many Christians who inadvertently offended Buddhists when trying to share Jesus with them. This book gave me confidence to engage in meaningful dialog with Buddhists about my faith
Mt
Jul 03, 2012 Mt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got many people saved using what I read from this telling book. I used to think I already knew Buddhism cuz my family was Buddhist, but this helped me a lot. The Buddhists I spoke to did not find this offensive.

I notice the bad reviewers are sarcastic and not credible. Hopefully they're not real Buddhist, because what kind of Buddhist would talk like them?

Highly recommend you get this read!
Thinkingofpeace
Jul 12, 2012 Thinkingofpeace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five Reasons Why I like this book:

1. It helps me to realize that I’m not as good as I think I am. I always thought I was a pretty good person, didn’t kill anyone, didn’t break any nations’s law etc, but reading this, makes me realize God’s standards and how I need divine help! Only the proud cannot accept help.

2. I can relate to it, I tried to get rid of karma myself. I used to attend Buddhist seminars, received a lot of blessings from Buddhist monks, even going to ceremonies to release birds
Thinkingofpeace
Jul 04, 2012 Thinkingofpeace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Wendy
Jul 11, 2012 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish there are translations of this book in different languages, ESP in Chinese. Are there? It would help bring a real perspective of what practical Buddhism is about in Asia - definitely different from the concepts I was given in a western society.

Adam Heine
Feb 08, 2011 Adam Heine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There are some interesting insights into Thai Buddhism here. But Cioccolanti plays so fast and loose with the Bible (and with logic, for that matter), that I have to assume he does the same with Buddhism. I can't really recommend it.
Adeliyn
Jul 20, 2012 Adeliyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good way to expose oneself to Buddhism and Christianity at the same time. It's very true that the Westerners thoughts about Buddhism is very different to real Buddhism. This book will explains things quite thoroughly and makes sound argument.
Nick
Good effort, but bad product. Essentially the theory here is that Buddha was sort of like an Old Testament prophet. He set up rules for his followers to follow which were very strict. He also allegedly pointed to the coming of Jesus. The references to reincarnation and non-biblical beliefs are mostly brushed over or excused in some sense as a cultural accident, or at worst, a mistake. Thats ok though. This is essentially what Muslims tried to do with other religions. To incorperate them as prede ...more
Daniella
May 24, 2012 Daniella rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the most poorly written, misleading book on religion I have ever read. It's author's complete lack of knowledge of Buddhism is so profoundly obvious, that it renders the book an outright piece of Christian propaganda.
It's statements and discussions vary between bewildered lack of understanding and outright lies.
Please do NOT read this book if you interested in learning about Buddhism, as this author has no knowledge whatsoever and is proselytizing Christianity.
If you are interested about
Riglin
Mar 25, 2009 Riglin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is written by an Evangelical(Steve C.) for evangelism. For that reason, it's not written fairly and justly on Buddhism. It's not a book to learn about Buddhism.

Two Buddhist monks had independently exposed the slander, deceits and lies on Buddhism in this book 'From Buddha to Jesus'.

Those who wish to read the book review by a western monk,

Another book review by another Buddhist monk,

Andrew
Jul 12, 2012 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I shared what I learnt about Buddhism to a Buddhist friend of mine and he walked away from the conversation thinking about his believes. I know what is shared in this book is from the experiences of real Buddhists who have lived and grown in Buddhist countries where it is a culture.

Several lives have changed simply because of the truths found in this unique book that are compelling to Buddhists and equipping for Christians.
Edward Sok
Jul 15, 2012 Edward Sok rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is such a good book. Read it through and it really helped me understand more about Buddhism and its concepts. I've found better techniques of evangelising to others through this book. Everyone should read this book! Buddhist, Christian or anything it suits everyone!
Tim Baumgartner
Since I'm living in Thailand, this book by former Buddhist, now Christian, Steve Cioccolanti, is VERY helpful by including Thai theological words (which I know nothing about yet-unfortunately) that can be used in conversations with Buddhists. There are parables from the Buddha that supposedly will resonate with Buddhists I speak with. However, and maybe this is because I'm teaching World Religions, I was quite disappointed that more references were not given. There are almost 200 footnotes in th ...more
Girlie Garcia
May 05, 2017 Girlie Garcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly speaking, i don't have that much knowledge about Buddhism except what the western movies showed to me which i found it to be wrong after reading this book. I've learn a lot of new things that i didn't know before. My view of Buddhism was really changed. I've realized that as a christian it's not that hard to reach out to buddhist. All i need to have is to be equipped with the right and accurate information which Steve Cioccolanti provided in this book. It is not just informative but als ...more
Margaret Makewell
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Steve's style is so easy to read and follow. If you're a Christian around Buddhists, you need to read this.
Rod
Jan 30, 2011 Rod rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apologetics, buddhism

I enjoyed this book. Although half way through I started getting a little sceptical and doubting the authors abilities. It seems like his heart is in the right place but his facts seemed questionable. I know very little about Buddhism (doesn't everyone?) - although I have read quite abit. The problem seems to be that everytime i read something it disagrees with other things i've read: oh well, that's religions for you. It's apparently impossible to put any core Buddhist writings together in a Bi
Meichunyu
Feb 27, 2017 Meichunyu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book you can read in order to help your Buddhist friends choose life. It taught me the way Jesus evangelised. True repentance starts with recognising how sinful we are. True connection starts with finding out how similar we are. Yes, you can kick out your conversation by telling your buddhist friends Christianity is so much similar to Buddhism, but...
Jul 17, 2012 Thinkingofpeace rated it it was amazing

John
Nov 04, 2013 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author was born in Thailand in a family of Catholics, Buddhists, Methodists and Muslims and now is a follower of Jesus who pastors a church in Melbourne, Australia.
This book serves as a fine basic primer to Buddhism, especially from the perspective of other followers of Jesus. It convinced me that what most Westerners think they know about Buddhism is wrong. Certainly most of what I thought I knew about Buddhism was wrong. We use the word "karma" to mean things the Buddha never would have re
Sally
Dec 04, 2008 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining & informative read. It's a 1st-hand account from someone from a Buddhist country, who’s now a pastor and living in Australia with his wife.

The author took his family name from his 2nd father, who was not the one raising him. His mother had two husbands. The book touches on the differences between Buddhism & Christianity, and Reincarnation – why the Buddhists believe in it. According to the Buddhists, Buddha said that one man’s karma will never be enough to bewashed away
Heather Richmond
Preparing for a trip to a Buddhist country? If so, this book offers many ways to carry on a conversation that would get others thinking about Christ as a way out of the cycle of suffering! He has paid it all, and no matter how many lives you attempt to live in a way that you can be releases from karma, it will never happen! Christ is the Only way... He has paid the ultimate price for the sins of all the world!
I could not put this book down! I hope to build some bridges with the people God place
Charles Nguyen
Sep 02, 2013 Charles Nguyen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written with the subtle intention of defaming Buddha and Buddhism by a devious shyster. The only thing I would use this book is when I ran out of toilet paper. Pure propaganda that Goebel would have approved of.

Joanna
Jan 26, 2015 Joanna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's really unfortunate, he really could have used a content editor. Seemed like he couldn't decide whether to evangelize his reader or tell Christians how to contexualize the Gospel
Marty Machowski
The book helped me better understand Buddhism to be able to relate to a Buddhist friend. It helps to explain how to connect gospel concepts like sin and punishment to Buddhism.
Nicki
Mar 18, 2016 Nicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Awesome book that looks at Buddhism and answers Buddha's questions about karma (sin) with Jesus & Christianity.
Remya
Nov 02, 2012 Remya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting comparison between religions!
Fiona Ho
Fiona Ho rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Katrina Pang
Katrina Pang rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2016
Leon Hulse
Leon Hulse rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Natural Theology
  • Afterlife: Uncovering the Secrets of Life After Death
  • Benedetto Casanova: The Memoirs
  • The Ultimate Conversation
  • Things to Come: A Study in Biblical Eschatology
  • The Ghosts Of Evolution: Nonsensical Fruit, Missing Partners, and Other Ecological Anachronisms
  • Finn's Fate
  • The Seed
  • Basic Theology: A Popular Systematic Guide to Understanding Biblical Truth
  • The Captain's Dog: My Journey with the Lewis and Clark Tribe
  • The Unquenchable Worshipper: Coming Back to the Heart of Worship
  • The Sword Dancer (Lovers and Rebels, #1; Tang Dynasty, #4)
  • Religion Saves: And Nine Other Misconceptions
  • Reason in the Balance: The Case Against Naturalism in Science, Law Education
2119605
Born in Thailand to a family of Buddhists, Catholics, Methodists and Muslims, Steve has a unique perspective on world religions and global politics. Having traveled to 40 nations as a popular professional speaker, he is known for his passion to take common questions people ask and answer them in simple, multi-sensory ways.

Steve Cioccolanti is senior pastor of Discover Church, Melbourne, Australia
More about Steve Cioccolanti...