Circling the Waggins: How 5 Misfit Dogs Saved Me from Bewilderness

Circling the Waggins: How 5 Misfit Dogs Saved Me from Bewilderness

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A dog lover's true life adventure: Two middle aged women maneuver through one unexpected pet debacle after another in a rugged and isolated cabin in a National Park. They emerge from a dark and difficult time as they discover that even the tiniest of lives is precious; heartache and joy go hand-in-hand, and love is an eternal circle of wagging tails.
Published July 20th 2012 by Barking Planet Productions (first published July 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Circling the Waggins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Circling the Waggins

Marley and Me by John GroganDewey by Vicki MyronHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperOogy by Larry LevinWesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien
Animal Memoirs
83rd out of 210 books — 115 voters
A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronIf I Should Die Before My Dog -- by Joe ConnollyThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinMarley and Me by John GroganWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Dog Lovers
218th out of 265 books — 369 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Priester
I really loved this book, and at this time, 4/17/13, Circling the Waggins is my favorite nonfiction book as well as one of the best books I have ever read!
Although there are some sad moments, much of the book is really funny. I love how the book is told in present tense as if everything is happening now and brings you right into the moment with the author.
I found myself able to identify with many of the problems and joys the author has with her pets throughout the book. While I was reading I o...more
Cayr
Jul 17, 2012 Cayr added it  ·  (Review from the author)
More than twenty years of performing pet rescues could wear anyone down. Especially when the pets that end up being permanent residents in your home are the most irascible, insane and ridiculously un-adoptable pets known to man.

That’s the premise of Circling the Waggins; How 5 Misfit Dogs Saved Me from Bewilderness by C.A.Wulff, released from Barking Planet Productions.

Circling the Waggins follows two middle aged women as they maneuver through one unexpected pet debacle after another in a ru...more
Bob Tarte
There’s a lot more to living with dogs than wet noses and going walkies. Cayr Ariel Wulff entertainingly chronicles the rocky flip side of pet care in "Circling the Waggins," a heroic tale of triumph over turmoil and exhaustion. Wulff and her companion Dalene take in the misfits that have defeated lesser souls, including genius behemoth Waldo – a 75-pound golden/boxer mix with equal parts brains and brawn – an exuberant but mentally challenged Shih-tzu/Chihuahua named Rocket Boy, plus three more...more
Lianne Simon
Circling the Waggins warmed this cat lover's heart.

It's not a literary masterpiece, but if there's any animal lover in you, read this book. Cayr treats her pets the way many of us would like to--with the self-sacrificial love we often don't even show to other humans.

The author presents a first-hand account of her relationships with rescue animals over the years. Raising the little ones. Taking care of the sick, the infirm, and the aged. Mourning the dead. A little help and a lot of love from her...more
Kelley
This book is for anyone who is a pet person, especially a dog person. It's always nice to read about how crazy other people are with their dogs to know that you are still considered completely sane in this realm of dog ownership. I didn't like the comment about spaying and neutering. Yes we have pet over population, yes we have puppy mills, yes there are loads of irresponsible breeders, and most dogs and cats should be spayed or neutered.
The quote on the very last page is so true and wonderful....more
Robert
This is an intimate, honest, and touching journey of the heart as told by a dedicated pet-loving woman. Cayr Ariel Wulff shares her experiences, concerns and deep emotions with the reader.

The setting is a cabin-home in a national park forest. The characters are several adopted dogs, cats, and, for a while, domestic mice -- and two compassionate women. From the snows of winter, to the Halloween costume parades, this is a world founded on the love of dogs.

The candor and honesty of this biography i...more
Kelly Meister
In this heart-warming sequel to her debut memoir (Born Without a Tail), C.A. Wulff describes in hilarious detail the gang of animals who color her world and keep her sane. From lovable mutt Waldo (one of five dogs!) who appears to be both a dunce and a genius, to the trio of cats who try her patience by leaving their mark (and their footprints) in all the wrong places, to the rapidly-multiplying rescued feeder mice that she finds herself emotionally attached to, Wulff’s deft writing touch makes...more
Scorpio
Really enjoyed this book about this misfit author and her experience with her misfit pets. It's both funny and sad, but I found myself laughing more often than not. Liked this book much better than her first book, and came away from it feeling like I knew all the pets myself.
Marcel
Delightful, especially for animal lovers, but an absolute MUST READ for dog owners and anyone who is thinking about adding a dog to the family.
Richard Stephens
Cayr's story is proof that through love and laughter, animals can heal the human mind and body.
Mdolfan
nice read for an animal lover.
Karen
Sep 11, 2013 Karen added it
I really enjoyed this book, and I was happy to read about more than just cars and dogs. The mice were definitely interesting. The author goes above and beyond for her pets. I'm glad there are rescue people out there like this.
Friends Planet
Very disappointed.I found this book poorly written and not insightful. Did not get the sense that the love for pets was genuine and the constant reference to her personal issues was overbearing.
Tamara Bennett
Tamara Bennett marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Michy
Michy marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Jeanne
Jeanne marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
W
W marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
Susan Grodsky
Susan Grodsky marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2013
Tani Sanda
Tani Sanda marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
E
E marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2013
Kaitlin
Kaitlin marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2013
Polly
Polly marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2013
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Jessica McCarthy-Jokisch
Jessica McCarthy-Jokisch marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
All About Animals: Circling The Waggins discussion here... 28 9 May 18, 2013 12:02PM
Promotional offer 1 2 Oct 02, 2012 12:21AM
Cayr Ariel Wulff is a native Ohioan. She is an artist, author and animal advocate, with a graphic design background. She worked in the comic book field as an inker and letterer before authoring three books: Born Without a Tail , and Circling the Waggins: How 5 Misfit Dogs Saved Me From Bewilderness both memoirs of her years in companion animal rescue, and How to Change the World in 30 Seconds: A...more
More about Cayr Ariel Wulff...
Born Without a Tail How to Change the World in 30 Seconds: A Web Warrior's Guide to Animal Advocacy Online Parade of Misfits Circling the Waggins; How 5 Misfit Dogs Saved Me from Bewilderness