The Golden Age of Death (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #5)

The Golden Age of Death (Calliope Reaper-Jones #5)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Meet Amber Benson's "authentically original creation" (Locus)

My name is Calliope Reaper-Jones (Callie to my friends). I’m Death’s Daughter and—as of very recently—the (reluctant) head of my father’s company, Death, Inc.

I was gradually learning how to be a businesswoman. Had the power suits and shoes down, though the day to day was slow going. Then I was blindsided by Enem...more
Mass Market Paperback, 324 pages
Published February 26th 2013 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Age of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Age of Death

Twice Tempted by Jeaniene FrostFrost Burned by Patricia BriggsEver After by Kim HarrisonHeart of Obsidian by Nalini SinghHouse Rules by Chloe Neill
2013 Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy (January - June)
173rd out of 290 books — 1,113 voters
Magic Rises by Ilona AndrewsArchangel's Legion by Nalini SinghFrost Burned by Patricia BriggsHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostThe Mystery Woman by Amanda Quick
Mi UF / RP 2013
14th out of 36 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Ash
Whew, I'm glad that's over. No more subjugating myself to a book series with oodles of potential but no payoff in the end. Amber Benson's The Golden Age of Death is the final book in the Calliope Reaper-Jones series about Callie's trials and tribulations over becoming the C.E.O. of Death Inc. Golden Age is from Callie's and every other character's POV in the book.

The mysterious Man in Gray has an insidious plan to destroy humanity by merging two universes together. One where Callie is not Death...more
Rachel
Ahh, so. I started this back in January, read about 100 pages, and then stopped. I feel like my inability to read books quickly has nothing to do with how I like them; it's a personal flaw. My reviews almost always include an explanation like this one about why it takes me so long to read these books. Anyway, this past week I felt more motivated to read, and because this is the one I've been putting off for over a year, I made myself read until I was finished.

So, I believe this is the last one o...more
Trisha
There comes a time when every living thing must die. Even Death has to end its reign sometime. That's why the Ender of Death exists-to maintain a balance in the world. It's the checks and balance rules of life and death. No one can have too much power. Otherwise, the world can be destroyed. In this fifth and final part in the Calliope Reaper-Jones series, we see just how far all the good and evil characters we have come to know will go to save the or ruin the world. Even Callie seems to surprise...more
Pure Textuality
I went into this book with multiple feelings – anticipation (because I ADORE this series), sadness (because it’s the last in the series) and apprehension (because I was seriously afraid that I was going to be disappointed with how it ended).

The Golden Age of Death is the last book in the Calliope Reaper-Jones series. This was a series I discovered completely by accident. I was perusing Twitter and found Amber Benson. She probably looks familiar to my fellow Buffy fans out there as Tara, Willow’s...more
OpenBookSociety.com
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Caro

Spoilers!!

Let me try and not give everything away, but just in case OBS did add a big SPOILER at the top of this post. Why? Well, because, this book was just amazing! First, we have the topic of Death, which is quite something to talk about or in this case, write about. But, in this novel, Death, takes the pretty appearance of the young and fashionable, Calliope Reaper-Jones, former Death’s daughter.

In this latest book, The Golden age of Death, Callie not only...more
Angela
Benson is a good author; I really like how creative the series has been, and some of the characters and plots she's created. When I first discovered the series, I read whatever books are available and was impatient for the next.

So why did it take me so long to finish this one? It's not like I read it off and on since May. I started it in May, couldn't get into it, and only finished it due to wanting to clean up my "unread books" shelf.

I think the way it started out, so...serious, and DOOOOOM, wa...more
Matt Randall
I love Amber Benson's writing, but I have to say, this book and the one before it weren't quite as amazing as the first three. I think this may be the final Calliope book, and if it is, the series ends on a pretty down note.

As for The Golden Age of Death itself, it's a good read. There is a lot of POV shifts, though, especially at the beginning. I don't know that we needed to spend so much time learning about the people who died since only Bernadette played any real role in the story.

While I r...more
Mary
I've got to be honest with you, the first half of this book is a hot mess. There's way too much going on and between the flipping between points of view at the toss of a coin, random flashbacks and unfocused yet multiple directions this story was taking, I seriously considered DNFing it.

But I'm glad I didn't. One of the main reasons I didn't is because the first four books in this series are witty and compelling, following the story of Callie Reaper-Jones as she makes poor choices in her love li...more
Kirsten
The Golden Age of Death by Amber Benson finds Calliope Reaper-Jones, Death’s Daughter still acting as the head of her father’s company, Death, Inc. Not something that most people go to business school to do, but nonetheless, Callie is learning on the job. Then, just when she thinks things are starting to settle down, she’s attacked by unknown enemies and ends up someplace unfamiliar. The real issue is that without somebody acting as the head of Death, Inc. nobody can die properly. That means tha...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5-4

*Review*

The Golden Age of Death is apparently the fifth & final novel in Amber Benson's Calliope Reaper-Jones series. The story itself is a continuation from How to Be Death in that a key player from that book continues to make deadly moves and alliances to finally get rid of Callie as the head of Death, Inc. and replace her with his own puppet. There is also a new player that is introduced who wants to go even farther and bring about a reign of destruction...more
Michael Higgins
This is the fifth book in Amber Benson's Calliope Reaper Jones series. Which has surprisingly grown more addicting and more "grown" up with each successful novel. As I stated in my review of "How to Be Death" each of the previous four novels had a different feel to them, a different theme and style. In each case the audience is shown a more mature version of Calliope and Ms Benson. As she continues to write, her characters seem more comfortable with their sexuality and motives. Which is delightf...more
Ingo
Started reading May 10th, 2013. As I liked all other books in the series (this being the fifth) and having read one other book by Amber Benson, I am looking forward to it.
Read a few reviews here on goodreads and after finishing it, I have to disagree with them.
Wether this is the final book or not, it is the best in the series.
Daniel is a douchebag and was a bad choice from the heroine as a boyfriend, here he also comes over es being overly dependent on his girl and slightly whiney. Without spoil...more
Stefanie
Unfortunately this book ended up in a bad time during my life as I was reading it before I had to say goodbye to the best part of my life, my heart dog. So the stress before and after that horrible day really affected how much enjoyment I really got out of the story. Overall it seemed a bit tame compared to the previous books in the series. The one thing I really liked about how this story was set up, was how we weren't just seeing it from Callie's point of view.

The story progressed at a good p...more
Ashley
This one started rough but ends solid. You just have to shift through the 3rd person narration for characters you've never met and don't care for. Yet some of these characters you end up liking and caring for in the end while some you still don't care for in the end. As the story progresses you can see how these different characters factor in and make sense to the plot but I think the story would have been fine had some of these sections been cut out. When you had characters you are invested in...more
Michelle Leah Olson
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Associate Reviewer - Kathy M:
*Copy received from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review

Callie, the dark and funny protagonist in Amber Benson’s Calliope Reaper-Jones series, just can’t get a break!

Due to the untimely death of her father (murdered), Callie must now run the family business, Death, Inc. and try to find time for romance with her boyfriend Daniel, the former right hand of the devil.

The Golden Age Of Death is a wonderful mix of macabre humor...more
Becky
Dear Amber,
that is quite possibly the most terrible, least satisfying end to a series EVER. in addition to nobody living happily ever after, we never get to know certain points in characters' backstories that you've been taunting us with all along.
Way not satisfied. love the characters and the world, but I think that's the worst series ending I have ever read.
Kristi
This was a good one! It's written a little differently, as Callie isn't in every scene so there is some shifting you'll want to be ready for. But you can truly see how Callie has grown into her role as Death, and how she recognizes that her father, who was a good man and did what he thought was best, still made mistakes that led them to where they are. There's sadness and death, but even if death there is victory, so the saying goes. Give it a read!
Dr susan
The Golden Age of Death was not what I expected. The ending was not what I expected. If this is the last of Calliope's adventures, she is not getting a 'happily ever after.'
Too many points of view made the story difficult to follow at times, and caused me to take an abnormally long 3 days to read Golden Age.
I have no idea how to rate this book right now; I will sleep on it.
Heather
Another fun adventure with Calliope Reaper-Jones with many overlapping stories with all our favorite characters. With that said, I am so sad about the ending and don't feel satisfied with how Callie and Daniel ended up. Is this really the end?
Jutta
didn't like this one that much. first, the blurp on the back promised zombies......no zombies. and the PoV kept changing. from first person with Callie, the third with a bunch of different characters.... so, not so much this time.
Deborah
I'm going to miss Callie, but this was a nice goodbye. Not my favourite of this series mainly because we didn't spend enough time with Callie (and a few unexpected deaths and unresolved issues saddened the end).
Vincent Lombardo
Although not as good as the last one, it is a definitely a worthy read. I loved the multiple point of view and getting a growing love for the characters. Cant wait to see whats next for these characters.
Michael Mckinney
Great ending to a wonderful series. I was totally satisfied on how this one ended. Highly recommend this series for its creativity, humor and really interesting characters.
Dobby
I was a little confused by the perspective jumping and the ending of the series seems a little rough, but I love the characters in this series. I hope Amber Benson keeps writing.
Nora-adrienne
This is one of my favorite Urban Fantasy series. The characters have tons of chutzpa and really kick butt. I'm hoping it runs for a long long time.
Éric Desmarais
I have grown to really like Calliope in the previous books. Unfortunately she was barely in this one and the book suffered for it.
Christle Gray
Kind of bittersweet addition to the series. Too many side stories to keep up with, I think. Still liked it, though. Amber Benson rocks!
Dan
I loved the series, and this one is a great addition to the series. Can't wait to see what Amber Benson comes up with next.
gremlin
The first part of this book is definitely a confusing mess, but it gets better for the last half.
Heather
Great finish to this book series! Amber has definitely improved as a writer.
  • Deliverance (Mortal Path, #3)
  • Devil's Paw (Imp, #4)
  • Darklands (Deadtown, #4)
  • Switchblade Goddess (Jessie Shimmer, #3)
  • Inhuman Resources (OSI, #3)
  • Coveted (Gwen Sparks, #3)
  • Maggie Get Your Gun (Maggie MacKay, Magical Tracker, #2)
  • Blonde & Blue (Alexa O'Brien, Huntress, #4)
  • Love on the Run (Nola O'Grady, #4)
  • Dragon Justice (Paranormal Scene Investigations #4)
  • Realm Walker (Realm Walker, #1)
  • Graveyard Child (The Black Sun's Daughter, #5)
  • Bedeviled (Dark Breed #2)
  • Under the Gun (Underworld Detection Agency, #4)
  • Age of Voodoo
More about Amber Benson...
Death's Daughter (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #1) Cat's Claw (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #2) Serpent's Storm (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #3) How to be Death (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #4) Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow & Tara (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #25 Buffy Seasons 5 & 6)