Start by marking “The Golden Age of Death (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Golden Age of Death (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #5)

The Golden Age of Death (Calliope Reaper-Jones #5)

Meet Amber Benson's "authentically original creation" (Locus)

My name is Calliope Reaper-Jones (Callie to my friends). I’m Death’s Daughter and—as of very recently—the (reluctant) head of my father’s company, Death, Inc.

I was gradually learning how to be a businesswoman. Had the power suits and shoes down, though the day to day was slow going. Then I was blindsided by Enem
Mass Market Paperback, 324 pages
Published February 26th 2013 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Age of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Age of Death

Pure Textuality
Sep 24, 2012 Pure Textuality rated it it was amazing
I went into this book with multiple feelings – anticipation (because I ADORE this series), sadness (because it’s the last in the series) and apprehension (because I was seriously afraid that I was going to be disappointed with how it ended).

The Golden Age of Death is the last book in the Calliope Reaper-Jones series. This was a series I discovered completely by accident. I was perusing Twitter and found Amber Benson. She probably looks familiar to my fellow Buffy fans out there as Tara, Willow’s
Shelley
Jul 15, 2012 Shelley rated it really liked it
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5-4

*Review*

The Golden Age of Death is apparently the fifth & final novel in Amber Benson's Calliope Reaper-Jones series. The story itself is a continuation from How to Be Death in that a key player from that book continues to make deadly moves and alliances to finally get rid of Callie as the head of Death, Inc. and replace her with his own puppet. There is also a new player that is introduced who wants to go even farther and bring about a reign of destruction
OpenBookSociety.com
Mar 04, 2013 OpenBookSociety.com rated it it was amazing
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Caro

Spoilers!!

Let me try and not give everything away, but just in case OBS did add a big SPOILER at the top of this post. Why? Well, because, this book was just amazing! First, we have the topic of Death, which is quite something to talk about or in this case, write about. But, in this novel, Death, takes the pretty appearance of the young and fashionable, Calliope Reaper-Jones, former Death’s daughter.

In this latest book, The Golden age of Death, Callie not only
Michael E.
Jun 02, 2013 Michael E. rated it really liked it
This is the fifth book in Amber Benson's Calliope Reaper Jones series. Which has surprisingly grown more addicting and more "grown" up with each successful novel. As I stated in my review of "How to Be Death" each of the previous four novels had a different feel to them, a different theme and style. In each case the audience is shown a more mature version of Calliope and Ms Benson. As she continues to write, her characters seem more comfortable with their sexuality and motives. Which is delightf ...more
Kirsten
Nov 07, 2013 Kirsten rated it liked it
The Golden Age of Death by Amber Benson finds Calliope Reaper-Jones, Death’s Daughter still acting as the head of her father’s company, Death, Inc. Not something that most people go to business school to do, but nonetheless, Callie is learning on the job. Then, just when she thinks things are starting to settle down, she’s attacked by unknown enemies and ends up someplace unfamiliar. The real issue is that without somebody acting as the head of Death, Inc. nobody can die properly. That means tha ...more
Ash
Aug 09, 2014 Ash rated it did not like it
Whew, I'm glad that's over. No more subjugating myself to a book series with oodles of potential but no payoff in the end. Amber Benson's The Golden Age of Death is the final book in the Calliope Reaper-Jones series about Callie's trials and tribulations over becoming the C.E.O. of Death Inc. Golden Age is from Callie's and every other character's POV in the book.

The mysterious Man in Gray has an insidious plan to destroy humanity by merging two universes together. One where Callie is not Death
Mary
Mar 10, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
I've got to be honest with you, the first half of this book is a hot mess. There's way too much going on and between the flipping between points of view at the toss of a coin, random flashbacks and unfocused yet multiple directions this story was taking, I seriously considered DNFing it.

But I'm glad I didn't. One of the main reasons I didn't is because the first four books in this series are witty and compelling, following the story of Callie Reaper-Jones as she makes poor choices in her love li
Rachel
Dec 19, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Ahh, so. I started this back in January, read about 100 pages, and then stopped. I feel like my inability to read books quickly has nothing to do with how I like them; it's a personal flaw. My reviews almost always include an explanation like this one about why it takes me so long to read these books. Anyway, this past week I felt more motivated to read, and because this is the one I've been putting off for over a year, I made myself read until I was finished.

So, I believe this is the last one o
Angela
Jan 07, 2013 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: supernatural
Benson is a good author; I really like how creative the series has been, and some of the characters and plots she's created. When I first discovered the series, I read whatever books are available and was impatient for the next.

So why did it take me so long to finish this one? It's not like I read it off and on since May. I started it in May, couldn't get into it, and only finished it due to wanting to clean up my "unread books" shelf.

I think the way it started out, so...serious, and DOOOOOM, wa
Matt Randall
Mar 24, 2013 Matt Randall rated it really liked it
I love Amber Benson's writing, but I have to say, this book and the one before it weren't quite as amazing as the first three. I think this may be the final Calliope book, and if it is, the series ends on a pretty down note.

As for The Golden Age of Death itself, it's a good read. There is a lot of POV shifts, though, especially at the beginning. I don't know that we needed to spend so much time learning about the people who died since only Bernadette played any real role in the story.

While I r
Trisha
Feb 20, 2013 Trisha rated it really liked it
There comes a time when every living thing must die. Even Death has to end its reign sometime. That's why the Ender of Death exists-to maintain a balance in the world. It's the checks and balance rules of life and death. No one can have too much power. Otherwise, the world can be destroyed. In this fifth and final part in the Calliope Reaper-Jones series, we see just how far all the good and evil characters we have come to know will go to save the or ruin the world. Even Callie seems to surprise ...more
Ingo
May 11, 2013 Ingo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Started reading May 10th, 2013. As I liked all other books in the series (this being the fifth) and having read one other book by Amber Benson, I am looking forward to it.
Read a few reviews here on goodreads and after finishing it, I have to disagree with them.
Wether this is the final book or not, it is the best in the series.
Daniel is a douchebag and was a bad choice from the heroine as a boyfriend, here he also comes over es being overly dependent on his girl and slightly whiney. Without spoil
Stefanie
Unfortunately this book ended up in a bad time during my life as I was reading it before I had to say goodbye to the best part of my life, my heart dog. So the stress before and after that horrible day really affected how much enjoyment I really got out of the story. Overall it seemed a bit tame compared to the previous books in the series. The one thing I really liked about how this story was set up, was how we weren't just seeing it from Callie's point of view.

The story progressed at a good p
Ashley
May 04, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it
This one started rough but ends solid. You just have to shift through the 3rd person narration for characters you've never met and don't care for. Yet some of these characters you end up liking and caring for in the end while some you still don't care for in the end. As the story progresses you can see how these different characters factor in and make sense to the plot but I think the story would have been fine had some of these sections been cut out. When you had characters you are invested in ...more
Michelle Leah Olson
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Associate Reviewer - Kathy M:
*Copy received from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review

Callie, the dark and funny protagonist in Amber Benson’s Calliope Reaper-Jones series, just can’t get a break!

Due to the untimely death of her father (murdered), Callie must now run the family business, Death, Inc. and try to find time for romance with her boyfriend Daniel, the former right hand of the devil.

The Golden Age Of Death is a wonderful mix of macabre humor
Esther
Dec 08, 2015 Esther rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Hm. Too bad, not as good an ending as I had hoped. I read this book in short little increments instead of one go, which did not help matters. It was quite chaotic.
Suddenly, the book is written from the points of view of multiple people, instead of just Callie (which was the case in the previous volumes). The characters are all over the place, and none of them really get to develop depth. Story-wise, character-wise. They all just... do shit. I didn't feel a true connection to any of them, which
Glen
Apr 11, 2016 Glen rated it it was ok
I've mentioned before that I'm not a fan of authors alternating points-of-view between characters. It seems to me as though someone in the authorial community did a workshop on it or said it was an awesome idea or something, as it seems everyone is doing it now. Not a fan.
Also, the series has been pretty good so far with build-up and climax but this book was about as anti-climactic as I think it is possible to be. Unless of course you actually cared about the extremely weird and dysfunctional re
Kristi
Oct 15, 2013 Kristi rated it it was amazing
This was a good one! It's written a little differently, as Callie isn't in every scene so there is some shifting you'll want to be ready for. But you can truly see how Callie has grown into her role as Death, and how she recognizes that her father, who was a good man and did what he thought was best, still made mistakes that led them to where they are. There's sadness and death, but even if death there is victory, so the saying goes. Give it a read!
Becky
Jan 01, 2014 Becky rated it liked it
Dear Amber,
that is quite possibly the most terrible, least satisfying end to a series EVER. in addition to nobody living happily ever after, we never get to know certain points in characters' backstories that you've been taunting us with all along.
Way not satisfied. love the characters and the world, but I think that's the worst series ending I have ever read.
Dr susan
The Golden Age of Death was not what I expected. The ending was not what I expected. If this is the last of Calliope's adventures, she is not getting a 'happily ever after.'
Too many points of view made the story difficult to follow at times, and caused me to take an abnormally long 3 days to read Golden Age.
I have no idea how to rate this book right now; I will sleep on it.
Deborah
Mar 22, 2013 Deborah rated it really liked it
I'm going to miss Callie, but this was a nice goodbye. Not my favourite of this series mainly because we didn't spend enough time with Callie (and a few unexpected deaths and unresolved issues saddened the end).
Jutta
Apr 26, 2013 Jutta rated it it was ok
didn't like this one that much. first, the blurp on the back promised zombies......no zombies. and the PoV kept changing. from first person with Callie, the third with a bunch of different characters.... so, not so much this time.
Heather
Mar 31, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Another fun adventure with Calliope Reaper-Jones with many overlapping stories with all our favorite characters. With that said, I am so sad about the ending and don't feel satisfied with how Callie and Daniel ended up. Is this really the end?
Topher
Sep 05, 2016 Topher rated it really liked it
A nice conclusion to an enjoyable series, with just enough going on to leave it open for some more if the author wants...but otherwise, sufficiently wrapped up to leave the reader with a nice sense of completion.
Vincent Lombardo
Dec 21, 2012 Vincent Lombardo rated it really liked it
Although not as good as the last one, it is a definitely a worthy read. I loved the multiple point of view and getting a growing love for the characters. Cant wait to see whats next for these characters.
Diandra
Apr 26, 2013 Diandra rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
That ending... why? :(
Eric Desmarais
Jan 20, 2014 Eric Desmarais rated it it was ok
I have grown to really like Calliope in the previous books. Unfortunately she was barely in this one and the book suffered for it.
Dan
Mar 15, 2013 Dan rated it really liked it
I loved the series, and this one is a great addition to the series. Can't wait to see what Amber Benson comes up with next.
Ming
Jan 07, 2013 Ming rated it liked it
can't really say I am sorry to see this one go
Anita
Nov 19, 2015 Anita rated it really liked it
Pfew, that was better than book 4!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Inhuman Resources (OSI, #3)
  • Darklands (Deadtown, #4)
  • Alchemystic (The Spellmason Chronicles, #1)
  • Frost & Bothered (Discord Jones #4)
  • Under the Gun (Underworld Detection Agency, #4)
  • The Devil's Backbone (Niki Slobodian, #5)
  • Moonshifted (Edie Spence, #2)
  • Dead Letter Day (Messenger #3)
  • Blood of Eden (Sloane Skye, #1)
  • Cold Copper (Age of Steam, #3)
  • Shadows Before the Sun (Charlie Madigan, #4)
  • A Taste For Blood (The Godhunter #6)
  • Dragon Justice (Paranormal Scene Investigations #4)
  • Pas (War of the Alphas #4)
  • The Shifting Price of Prey (Spellcrackers.com, #4)
  • Steal the Night (Thieves, #5)
  • License to Ensorcell (Nola O'Grady, #1)
  • Age of Voodoo
More about Amber Benson...

Calliope Reaper-Jones (5 books)
  • Death's Daughter (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #1)
  • Cat's Claw (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #2)
  • Serpent's Storm (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #3)
  • How to be Death (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #4)