Start by marking “The Ehrengraf Presumption (Ehrengraf for the Defense #2)” as Want to Read:
The Ehrengraf Presumption (Ehrengraf for the Defense #2)

The Ehrengraf Presumption (Ehrengraf for the Defense #2)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  3 reviews
When I finished writing The Ehrengraf Defense in 1976, I knew I had found a character I’d like to revisit. But it was Frederic Dannay’s immediate enthusiasm for Ehrengraf that made me write one story after another about the diminutive attorney. Fred, of course, was one of the pair of cousins who wrote the Ellery Queen mysteries, and it was Fred who edited Ellery Queen’s My ...more
Published January 10th 2012 by Lawrence Block

To ask other readers questions about The Ehrengraf Presumption, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ehrengraf Presumption

Jim A
This is a delightful short story by Lawrence Block. It's actually one of several by Block featuring Ehrengraf.

Ehrengraf is a criminal defense attorney who only charges his clients a fee if he gets them off. How he accomplishes that is the meat of the story. Those who like a little bit of twist to their story will love this character.

Cathy DuPont
I love short stories and this one is short, short but great, great.

The difficulty with writing short stories is one of brevity. It's the key but saying a lot in the fewest and hopefully the simplest words possible makes a successful short story and it's hard writing. There’s an opening, the middle, the close in a few words and that's hard.

And this little jewel is one of the shortest short stories I'm sure I ever read but one of the best, too. Love the character, Martin Enhrengraf, an attorney.
Ellen
Short, smooth and to the point., July 26, 2012
By Ellen Rappaport (Florida)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Ehrengraf Presumption (Ehrengraf for the Defense) (Kindle Edition)
No one can write like L.B. My favorites of his are Matt Scudder and Bernie Rhodenbarr so I thought I'd try something new (for me that is) on kindle.

"The Ehrengraf Presumption" is a short story about an attorney who never loses no matter what side of the bench he's on. In this case he is defe
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
D
D marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Susan Jackson
Susan Jackson marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Angel Park
Angel Park marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
P
P marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Andy Dean
Andy Dean marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Heather Robertson
Heather Robertson marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Patrick Malone
Patrick Malone marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2002.

From his web site:

I'm told every good author website needs a bio, so here's mine:

"Lawrence Block's novels range from the urban noir of Matthew Scudder (A Drop of the Hard Stuff) to the urbane effervescence of Bernie Rhodenbarr (The Burglar on the Prowl), while other characters include the globe-trotting insomniac Evan Tanne
More about Lawrence Block...

Ehrengraf for the Defense (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Ehrengraf Defense (Ehrengraf for the Defense, #1)
  • The Ehrengraf Experience (Ehrengraf for the Defense #3)
  • The Ehrengraf Appointment (Ehrengraf for the Defense #4)
  • The Ehrengraf Riposte (Ehrengraf for the Defense #5)
  • The Ehrengraf Obligation (Ehrengraf for the Defense #6)
  • The Ehrengraf Alternative (Ehrengraf for the Defense #7)
  • The Ehrengraf Nostrum (Ehrengraf for the Defense #8)
  • The Ehrengraf Affirmation (Ehrengraf for the Defense #9)
  • The Ehrengraf Reverse (Ehrengraf for the Defense #10)
  • The Ehrengraf Settlement (Ehrengraf for the Defense #11)
The Sins of the Fathers (Matthew Scudder, #1) Eight Million Ways to Die (Matthew Scudder, #5) When the Sacred Ginmill Closes (Matthew Scudder, #6) Hit Man (Keller, #1) Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #1)