Start by marking “The Thanos Quest: Book Two: Games and Prizes (The Thanos Quest, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Thanos Quest: Book Two: Games and Prizes (The Thanos Quest, #2)

The Thanos Quest: Book Two: Games and Prizes (The Thanos Quest #2)

The Thanos Quest, book 2 of 2.
Published August 1st 1990 by Marvel Comics (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Thanos Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thanos Quest

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Dec 11, 2016 Jon(athan) Nakapalau rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, comics
The quest for the Soul Gems continues...each gem a variable of the annihilation equation Thanos has planned for the universe!
Mphill968
Dec 12, 2016 Mphill968 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Soul gems > Infinity gems

So many stories have their beginnings in Thanos Quest. Looking forward to rereading them all!!! Jim Starlin is the best!
Maria
Jun 25, 2016 Maria rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Part 2 of Thanos' quest to control all 6 Infinity Stones picks up right where Part I ended, here's my review of it.

I really enjoyed the strategy Thanos used when facing each elder as he took his journey through the galaxy for the gems. I also was excited to get a further explanation about the gems themselves and how they came into being.

The end was quite interesting as his journey didn't have the outcome he expected. (view spoiler)
Stephen
Sep 23, 2010 Stephen rated it liked it
3.0 stars. Part 2 of a pretty good story in which Thanos (one of the more interesting "ultra powerful" characters in the Marvel Universe) begins stealing the six "Infinity Gems" from various other cosmic characters in order to make himself all powerful so that he can finally be "worthy" of being the consort of Death (who he has had the hots for forever). Decent writing, art and story.
Colin Moon
Jun 23, 2012 Colin Moon rated it really liked it
In which we realize: the infinity gems are, indeed, the remnants of GOD, who, out of loneliness, killed itself to create what is now. That's. . . fucking bleak. Also, Thanos just wants love, guys. Becoming god for a lady is a pretty good bet on impressing her, though, of course, Mistress Death is a little more old fashioned than that.
TJ Shelby
Jan 08, 2016 TJ Shelby rated it really liked it
Great finish to the story. Thanos gains the last three infinity gems. Great story-telling.
Andrew Greatbatch
Oct 15, 2015 Andrew Greatbatch rated it it was amazing
One of the most exciting comics i've ever read.
Immano
Mar 07, 2015 Immano rated it it was amazing
Parts of this review are taken from my own of book one.

Perhaps nowadays the style in which Ron Lim draws this story, with the fantastic inks of John Beatty and the painted colors by Tom Vincent, may feel outdated. Perhaps it's Thanos' own style, with the spauldrons and the gauntlets and so on. Some people who've seen this for the first time in this day and age have commented to me in that sense.

Yet I mantain that, perhaps of all of Starlin's production, this and its second book are the most age
Hális F.
Nov 16, 2015 Hális F. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
The Thanos Quest is a story told in all the shapes and words worthy of the epic genre, wielding grandeur with excellent prowess and bearing similitude even to the classic sagas in the Greek mythology (but again, which grand plot written in modern times wouldn't?). Thanos obsession puts himself in the mixed archetypal figure of the anti-hero/protagonist villain seeking the ultimate prize, leading to Herculean quests and interesting encounters that prove Thanos to be one of the greatest characters ...more
Jordan Lahn
Jul 29, 2014 Jordan Lahn rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this volume much more than the first. The twist at the end actually made Thanos seem like a character you could sympathize with, even though he's a monstrous all-powerful being. It feels like a classic Greek tragedy or something, following the pattern of "be careful what you wish for."

Its definitely a story written in the 80s, and feels dated in some ways, but ultimately it still resonates.
Steve Magay
Aug 17, 2016 Steve Magay rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-faves
My disappointment in the Infinity Gauntlet was quenched on this book. Loved how Thanos outsmarted all the gem holders.
Marta L
Jun 20, 2016 Marta L rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O.O ALUCINANTE.
Genial la explicación final de todas las gemas.
Reyel2107
Jan 06, 2017 Reyel2107 rated it really liked it
great end !!!!!
Javier Galíndez
Oct 17, 2016 Javier Galíndez rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic
¡Excelente!

La ansiedad por Avengers: Infinity War me ha llevado a investigar un poco e indagar más sobre Thanos, nuestro querido titan loco.

Si aún no entiendes todo este tema de las Gemas del infinito y su origen, puedes venir a este maravilloso cómic y ¡tu fanboy/fangirl te lo agradecerá!

El amor de un Titan a La Muerte y la codicia por el poder hará que el universo tiemble de sólo pronunciar su nombre.
Mike
Jun 03, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing
** Note: The Thanos Quest is published as two books, but is a single story. Starting here is like picking up a book and flipping halfway through to begin. Read Schemes and Dreams first. **

"Games and Prizes" is book 2 of the 2 book story "The Thanos Quest." Published in 1990 it was a lead in to a giant crossover event in the Marvel Universe, "The Infinity Gauntlet." Thanos, servant of Mistress Death, sets out to collect the six Soul Gems (later known as the Infinity gems), each in the hands of on
Devero
Mar 07, 2015 Devero rated it it was amazing
Il miglior personaggio creato da Jim Starlin è certamente stato Thanos. Graficamente ispirato a Darkside di Jack Kirby, se ne differenzia col tempo per via della psicologia contorta, che in questo primo numero di due viene approfondita e chiarita in modo magistrale. Perché Thanos, innamorato della Morte, riportato in vita da essa per riequilibrare l'eccesso di vita senziente nell'universo, non è comunque mai contento. Vuole la Morte come amante, ma vuole anche essere l'unico amato dalla Morte. P ...more
Jonnathan
Jan 14, 2015 Jonnathan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Fabulosa entega, concisa, divertida, interesante y preambulo perfecto para un evento de mayor envergadura.

Aquí podemos apreciar a Thanos en todo su esplendor como personaje, haciendo gala no solo de su poder titánica, sino de una inteligencia superior a la hora de afrontar los diferentes escoyos en su cruzada por obtener las gemas del infinito.

Solo el elemento cósmico y la características particulares de estos objetos celestiales son interesantes per se, pero la manera en que Thanos desenvuelve
Mary Nicole
Aug 21, 2014 Mary Nicole rated it really liked it
Aww. Thanos just wants some love.

He's an interesting character, really. Okay, maybe he's got this over-the-top scheme of getting the whole universe under his control, but that's just because he wanted to be someone's equal (Mistress Death)--which didn't work, because he practically became more than a god after collecting the Infinity Gems. His impressive ingenuity, cunning and pragmatism also set him apart from a lot of villains.

Very decent story and art. A good prequel for The Infinity Gauntlet
Shane
Jun 23, 2012 Shane rated it liked it
Again, cool to get the backstory for an epic quest, but in this one Thanos solves most of his problems the same way he did with The Gardner in the first. Thanos is a cool character because he is both crazy strong, and crazy cunning, but this one felt like a re-hash of the first.

HOWEVER! The ending broke my f'n heart. Thanos was trying to get the gems to win over Mistress Death, yet he became too powerful as a consequence and she had no interest in him. I find my self oddly sensitive to his pligh
Travis
Jun 17, 2015 Travis rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
The prologue to 'Infinity Gauntlet' as Thanos wanders the cosmos challenging the Elders of the universe and gathering the infinity gems.

While it does portray the Elders, who I always liked, as a bunch of semi-competant dopes, I did enjoy Thanos out-devious-ing them and dealing with these big cosmic things.
Fun bit of sci-fi and the beginning of Jim Starlin re-introducing Thanos as a major threat in the marvel universe.
Alex Sarll
The mad Titan assembles the six Infinity Gems (first named as such in this story, it turns out) - again. His goal this time: to be a worthy consort for his beloved Death. Tragically, it doesn't quite go to plan. Even more tragically, although he is a genocidal monster, Thanos responds to what some might consider 'friendzoning' much better than a lot of 21st century boys.
James Torpy
Apr 20, 2014 James Torpy rated it it was amazing
Great book. The conclusion to the prelude to the Infinity book, this book sees Thanos take on three more externals for three more games as he has to defeat them in strength, speed and smartness. This is fantastic! I loved the book and think that this two part series is better than the Infinity Gauntlet, event though many people will disagree with me.
Be sure to check my review of book 1.
Feather Mista
Que Starlin bolacee todo lo que quiera, yo encantado de seguir leyendo las peripecias metagalácticas del Titán enamorado de la Muerte en busca de las poderosas -y cada vez más populares- Gemas del Infinito.
Gabriel Wallis
Jul 27, 2013 Gabriel Wallis rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
In book two of "The Thanos Quest", Thanos takes on the Collector (who's appearing in the 2014 "Guardians of the Galaxy" movie), the Runner, and the Grand Master to attain their Soul Gems (Infinity Gems). And he does it all to prove his love for Mistress Death.
Tyler
Jan 09, 2015 Tyler rated it liked it
Very interesting prelude to the Infinity Gauntlet arc. It's very 90s (and late 80s) in many ways. I enjoyed the plot, particularly the end and a few of the encounters with Elders, but some of the execution is clunky and trippy.
Jonathan Carlson
Apr 27, 2015 Jonathan Carlson rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. I love how strategic Thanos is. And I absolutely adored the end when he finds out what he does is almost all for naught. That add so much depth to his character.
Don
Jan 30, 2016 Don rated it it was amazing
What can I say, this was just a great story all the way through. Great suggestion by my friend Tony to read it. Smart, psychological story set in the fantastic space world of Marvel.
Matías Silva Osorio
Matías Silva Osorio rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2013
Bertrand Lau
Bertrand Lau rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2013
Geoff Sebesta
Geoff Sebesta rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2010
  • Secret Warriors, Volume 6: Wheels Within Wheels
  • Fantastic Four: 1234
  • The Incredible Hulk: Future Imperfect
  • Annihilation: Conquest, Book One
  • Batman: Vengeance of Bane (Batman: Vengeance of Bane, #1)
  • Cable & Deadpool, Volume 1: If Looks Could Kill
  • Essential Silver Surfer, Vol. 1
  • Annihilation: Conquest, Book Two
  • Fantastic Four: The End
  • The Mighty Thor Omnibus
  • Logan (Wolverine)
James P. "Jim" Starlin is an American comic book writer and artist. With a career dating back to the early 1970s, he is best known for "cosmic" tales and space opera; for revamping the Marvel Comics characters Captain Marvel and Adam Warlock; and for creating or co-creating the Marvel characters Thanos and Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu. Death and suicide are recurring themes in Starlin's work: Pers ...more
More about Jim Starlin...

The Thanos Quest (2 books)
  • The Thanos Quest: Book One: Schemes and Dreams (The Thanos Quest, #1)