Start by marking “Last Dance with Mary Jane” as Want to Read:
Last Dance with Mary Jane

Last Dance with Mary Jane

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Peter was not prepared when his love Shayne died in a car crash. His days have become therapy and drinking himself to sleep. His only solace is listening to Shayne's voice mail to hear his voice one last time. He is starting to think that fate is against him.

He has no idea how right and wrong he is.

CONTENT ADVISORY: This title is a love story that does not contain a HEA.
ebook, 1st Edition, 76 pages
Published August 18th 2012 by Silver Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Last Dance with Mary Jane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Dance with Mary Jane

Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderArmed & Dangerous by Abigail RouxStars & Stripes by Abigail RouxChase in Shadow by Amy LaneWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2012
250th out of 607 books — 1,412 voters
Aaron by J.P. BarnabyChase in Shadow by Amy LaneKeeping Promise Rock by Amy LaneBareback by Chris OwenFinding Zach by Rowan Speedwell
Heartbreaking Gay Romance
71st out of 190 books — 104 voters

More lists with this book...

T.A. Webb
Peter isn't handling the death of his partner well. Ah, that's an understatement, perhaps. He's out of his friggin' mind.

He's drinking, thinking over and over about the irony of what strength and will it took for Shayne to not only accept his diagnosis of Stage 2 HIV infection and the six or seven year life expectancy, but to actually overcome it and be healthy on the other end. Then, to lose his life in a freak car accident when he had everything to live for.

And the worst of his downward spiral
Ami
The blurb is pretty simple -- but the story is anything but. It has a paranormal element, with Shayne answering Peter's call eventhough he died almost a year ago, as well as another plot related to Fate. However, there is no ghost love or second chances that returns Shayne back to life. The warning content clearly says no HEA.

I have no idea how to review this without giving away the whole story. All I can say that its another great short story from John Goode. It tells a story how Peter (as the
Sammy Goode
It is often a fact of life that an author, upon finding their niche, remains there, rarely venturing into another genre. After all, when was the last time Stephen King wrote historical fiction or Dean Koontz wrote a romantic comedy. No, for the most part an author hits his mark and comfortably remains there, honing his craft.

John Goode, on the other hand, is a rule breaker…no staying put in one genre for him—no, he decided to take a walk away from YA m/m fiction and stroll into the adult M/M wor
Sadonna
Ah, John. You got me again.

A completely surprising, tragic, gut-wrenching story that will take you on a roller coaster ride. Whatever I say here will not do any justice to the beauty of this story. Just read it. If it doesn't move you, you have never really loved and lost anyone.

Brilliant.
Claudia
Even not having a HEA, this book is wonderful, but heartbreaking.

I had to stop reading on 90% of the book, otherwise I would cry in front of a lot of people. So, I finised it in my house alone, and I was really sobbing when I finished it.

Totally loved it - Thanks John for this amazing book

Lucy
It is the mark of an incredible story that days after I’ve read it, I can just think of parts of it and it will make me cry. Those who know me know that HEA is mandatory for me. I do not read bittersweet. Yet, something about the cover of this book, a picture of two so very happy looking people with the glass of the frame shattered, caught my eye, and then I wanted to know – who is Mary Jane? I will say, when I found out, yes, it fit.

Shayne is diagnosed with HIV when he is 25, and Peter spends
Bibek Thapa
John Goode is awesome! This story was short, sweet, an eye-opener and just plain amazing, even though it’s not a HEA story.
I’d read all of John Goode’s published books till date except this one. I contemplated reading it but then I saw the warning: “This title is a love story that does not contain a HEA” so I pushed it down on my TBR pile. And that was my biggest mistake. This story, albeit a sad romance, was still a really good one. Even in the midst of all the sorrow and pain Goode still manag
Anthos
Should I ever have doubted that John Goode could write about nearly everything, I'd know better now. This is not Foster High, this are not the realms of Arcadia – but it's another book in the legendary John Goode quality: well constructed (but not artificial) story and excellently written. I liked the characters and especially enjoyed to meet again the candidae sorores (white sisters) of my former Latin class as such colorful characters.

It's a pity the book is currently not available anymore (I
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Lucy
Genre: M/M Bittersweet
Rated: 5 hearts

Check out the review at: Hearts On Fire Reviews
Absynthe
Oh you evil bastard. You made me bawl like a baby.

Painful, sorrowful, beautiful, poignant, moving and deeply romantic.
Moniqee
It maybe a last dance with Mary Jane but this is a great dance that had me cried at the last phone call.

Felicia
I loved this book. It made me cry the whole time I was reading it.
Sandym
Sep 02, 2012 Sandym rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
I read this book based on a review I read by Tom Webb. Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure I would have read it, as I love Mr. Goode's writing. However, the superb review pushed it to the top of my TBR list.

I have two words. Thank you. These are both directed at John Goode for writing this book and also to Tom Webb for suggesting it in a review. Holy Fates, what a story. It was so wonderfully written. My heart broke over and over again for Peter, who lost his love. As I read I tried to put myself
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
5 Hearts

First published at MM Good Book Reviews

Peter is still in the throes of grief nearly a year after his beloved Shayne died. His regrets are hard to deal with and his only solace is listening to Shayne’s voice on his voicemail, then something happens and Peter discovers that fate may just be taking pity on him.

John Goode has produced a story that is touching, its heart-breaking and it is tragic. Peter is in therapy trying to deal with the loss of the
ManOhMan

Reviewed by Ana: It seems like Peter has always expected the worst from life, but when the love of his life Shayne dies in a tragic car accident, Peter cannot seem to get over his grief. This a poignant and at times a heartbreaking story about someone with regrets over things left unsaid and who is miraculously given a second chance to say what should have been said. the story at times moved slowly and was frustrating to read. This is not necessarily a bad
The Novel Approach Reviews
Last Dance with Mary Jane will not give you a happy ending as such. Don’t expect the long awaited kiss, the drive into the sunset hand in hand while strings flair and tears fall. Some people don’t like the lack of happy endings. I love to mourn the end when it is all it can be, just another paving stone on the road alone. John Goode has ruined me for other authors, and thus here it comes. Five stars for the man who made me cry, yet again, like no one else can.

BJ's full review can be found at Th
Imelda
i cried while reading this... if only its a little bit longer...
i would like to see peter be happy again
5 stars!!!!!!!!!!
Amanda
I normally don't read stories that don't end with an HEA. I think what made this ok for me to read is the fact that there isn't another love interest; This is Peter's story.
Peter lost his life parter, Shayne. He is having trouble getting over Shayne's death and thinks fate keeps getting in the way of his life, killing anyone important to him and shitting on his happiness. This was a bittersweet story with a paranormal twist....one that asks: What would say do if you had one last chance to talk
Meggie
Wow, this novella is truly an emotional bomb. John Goode has written an excellent even if emotionally tragic story. Peter, the main character, is devastated. We could simply describe him as being near to a complete emotional breakdown. Peter wasn't braced for the death of his partner Shayne. Through the story Fate helps Peter with accepting a basic fact, everyone dies and we can only accept that and try to live one.
This is a deeply moving story, Recommended!
melek
Well I was little confused was little lost but then it was clear to me shayne died Peter can't let go of him, his getting help but doesn't help. He starts getting calls from shayne even after death. So basically his in another world not sure mayb this way peter is trying to keep sane. Mayb there might be hope. I don't no peter wants shayne and I want this to be happy but it's not.
Phil Ansell
Who knew that such a short story could stir so much emotion? I suppose I should have known that when it comes to John Goode's writing incredible things can happen. (and tears, let's not forget those) Just a wonderfully bittersweet story.
Kaje Harper
4.5 stars. An intense and imaginative story about a man mourning the death of his lover, mired in regrets and unable to move forward. The resolution was bittersweet and satisfying.
Christopher Louis
A beautiful story of unending love. Though there is not a "happily ever after", I felt a sense of peace knowing that a closure of some kind took place.
Gwendolyn
I bought this a few weeks ago but waited into I was in the mood for a tear jerker. So good, but I went through a number of tissues.
Cris
Oct 12, 2012 Cris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: gay
Really, really liked this. It broke my heart and gave me hope. Not much more I can say than that.
Page Crusherz
4.5

Ok, I admit it...I cried. Very moving, sweet story.
Isabel
This is a beautiful and moving story...
Rick
EXCELLENT tear jerker
Idamus
*Sniffles*
WhatAStrangeDuck
I received a copy of the story in exchange for an honest review, so here it comes. I’m not well versed in writing reviews and I’m not an English native speaker, so please bear with me.

Content:
It is a story that deals with the loss of a beloved person and it manages very well to convey the hurt and anger that is sometimes connected with grief. It made me laugh a little and cry a little, and that is just as it should be. It touched me and that is actually the highest praise I can give.

Form:
  • Places In Time
  • (Un)Masked
  • Don't Look
  • Test of Faith
  • Light Outside the Closet (Haven Coffee House Boys #1)
  • Unbreak My Heart (Unbreak My Heart, #1)
  • Letting Go
  • Kamikaze Boys
  • Caregiver
  • Mourning Heaven
  • From Out in the Cold
  • Listening To Dust
  • 911
John Goode is a member of the class of '88 from Hogwarts school of wizardry, specializing in incantations and spoken spells. At the age of 14 he proudly represented District 13 in the 65th Panem games where he was disqualified for crying uncontrollably before the competition began. After that he moved to Forks, Washington where, against all odds, dated the hot, incredibly approachable werewolf ins ...more
More about John Goode...
Maybe With a Chance of Certainty (Tales from Foster High, #1) End of the Beginning (Tales from Foster High, #2) End of the Innocence (Tales from Foster High, #4) Raise Your Glass (Tales from Foster High, #3) Tales from Foster High (Tales from Foster High, #1-3)