Start by marking “The Italian Country Table: Home Cooking from Italy's Farmhouse Kitchens” as Want to Read:
The Italian Country Table: Home Cooking from Italy's Farmhouse Kitchens

The Italian Country Table: Home Cooking from Italy's Farmhouse Kitchens

If you dream of Italy—and who does not?—be prepared to fall in love with this extraordinary cookbook. Written by Lynne Rossetto Kasper, author of The Splendid Table: Recipes from Emilia-Romagna, the Heartland of Northern Italian Food (winner of both the James Beard and Julia Child/IACP Cookbook-of-the-Year Awards), it is every bit the equal of its celeb ...more
Published October 6th 1999 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about The Italian Country Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Italian Country Table

Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella HazanThe Silver Spoon by Clelia D'OnofrioItalian Kitchen by Kate WhitemanThe Splendid Table by Lynne Rossetto KasperMade in Italy by Giorgio Locatelli
Best Italian Cookbooks
74th out of 99 books — 36 voters
Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking by Anya von BremzenMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildThe Nordic Cookbook by Magnus NilssonThe Italian Country Table by Lynne Rossetto Kasper
Essential Cooking Classics
5th out of 9 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Stephanie
Feb 16, 2009 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Stephanie by: present from my mom
Shelves: cookbooks
I love her stories and sensibility! One of my favorite recipes in this book is the sweet pear and rosemary pizza, which combines fresh pears with fruity olive oil, rosemary, orange zest, and freshly ground black pepper. It is delicious!
Rachel
May 20, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-eatin
I want to make everything in this book. But most specifically I want to make the Potato "Gatto". Even more specifically I want to make a Potato Gatto the size of my dining room, eat my way into it, curl up, and nap for six weeks.
Melanie Turner
Jan 05, 2008 Melanie Turner rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
The Balsamico Chicken and Northern Mountain Dinner are really delicious. I also hear the chocolate coins are amazing. This cook book is VERY well done.
Terri Jacobson
Apr 19, 2012 Terri Jacobson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
A beautiful look at Italian cooking and culinary traditions. Beautiful photos, great recipes.
Charlise
Apr 18, 2016 Charlise rated it really liked it
One of my favorite cookbooks - I love Kasper's recipe for foccacia bread - in fact, she devoted an entire chapter to homemade foccacia bread - it is simply delicious. Following her recipes make you feel like a gourmet cook.
Karen
Nov 15, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
The best Italian cookbook I have ever seen. Will be making the "Crushed Buttermilk Potatoes". Yum Yum
Shauna
Jun 16, 2014 Shauna rated it really liked it
Feels like you actually visit Italy while reading this cook book.
Judith
Jul 12, 2016 Judith rated it it was amazing
Timbale!
Karen Eades
Jan 30, 2013 Karen Eades rated it it was amazing
There are recipes in this book that I have made over and over, they are so good I crave them. Specifically, the Potato Gatto, the braised pork and three peppers over polenta, and the balsamico roast chicken and potatoes to name a few. The minestrone is great, as is the linguine with pistachio almond pesto. In addition to the recipes, I loved just reading all the stories and cooking advice in this book. The pictures make my mouth water.
Beth
Jun 30, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing
Incredible read and incredible recipes. Rossetto Kasper is so good at explaining technique that the cookbook winds up being really accessible, even if you're not an experienced cook. For those who are, there's plenty there, particularly many old-time, family-style foods not normally written down. One of my favorite books (not just among cookbooks) ever.
Jim
Jan 01, 2013 Jim rated it it was amazing
Kaspar's books are all excellent but this is my favorite. Being prejudiced towards rural cooking of any cuisine, I think she produces a series of recipes that are each memorable when prepared, clearly explained, and illuminated by anecdotes of the region. A real keeper.
Lisa
May 25, 2013 Lisa marked it as to-read
Recommended to Lisa by: Peg Hensleigh
Shelves: food
perused this at Peg & Robb's. recipes look amazing. cook's notes are thoughtful. history is fun to read.
Dennis
May 03, 2008 Dennis rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
I've always like to listen to Lynne Rossetto Kasper on NPR. Her books are just as much fun.
Elizabeth
Mar 18, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Authentic Italian meals -- love this book for it's recipes and stories.
Joshua Herbert
Mar 18, 2013 Joshua Herbert rated it really liked it
I'ma gonna cook amy waya through thisa book.
Eric Hines
Sep 26, 2009 Eric Hines marked it as to-read
Shelves: food, cooking
food & cooking
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Kim Carlson
Kim Carlson marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
mary halleck
mary halleck marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Derek Stapleton
Derek Stapleton marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2016
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Sarah blount
Sarah blount rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Patrick Alcock
Patrick Alcock marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
S
S marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Emily
Emily added it
Aug 06, 2016
Stacey
Stacey rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
M
M marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
  • Simple to Spectacular: How to Take One Basic Recipe to Four Levels of Sophistication
  • French Cooking in Ten Minutes: Adapting to the Rhythm of Modern Life
  • Patricia Wells at Home in Provence: Recipes Inspired By Her Farmhouse In France
  • Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, with Recipes
  • The Dean and DeLuca Cookbook
  • The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook: 350 Essential Recipes for Inspired Everyday Eating
  • Paris Sweets: Great Desserts from the City's Best Pastry Shops
  • Classic Home Desserts: A Treasury of Heirloom and Contemporary Recipes from Around the World
  • The Old World Kitchen: The Rich Tradition of European Peasant Cooking
  • Sky High: Irresistible Triple-Layer Cakes
  • The New Whole Foods Encyclopedia: A Comprehensive Resource for Healthy Eating
  • La Cucina: The Regional Cooking of Italy
  • The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Italian: Recipes from the New and Old Worlds, Simplified for the American Kitchen
  • The Italian Baker
  • Bobby Flay's Boy Meets Grill: With More Than 125 Bold New Recipes
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life
  • Fish: The Complete Guide to Buying and Cooking
  • Splendid Soups: Recipes and Master Techniques for Making the World's Best Soups
Lynne Rossetto Kasper is an award-winning American food writer and radio journalist. She is the host of the American Public Media program The Splendid Table, whose targeted audience is "people who love to eat." The weekly program features a series of interviews with chefs, restaurateurs, and wine experts. Guests vary from week to week, but every show includes a segment with food travelers and auth ...more
More about Lynne Rossetto Kasper...