Start by marking “The Italian Country Table: Italian Country Table” as Want to Read:
The Italian Country Table: Italian Country Table
Preview

The Italian Country Table: Italian Country Table

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  14 reviews
If you dream of Italy -- and who does not? -- be prepared to fall in love with this extraordinary cookbook. Written by Lynne Rossetto Kasper, author of The Splendid Table: Recipes from Emilia-Romagna, the Heartland of Northern Italian Food (winner of both the James Beard and Julia Child/IACP Cookbook-of-the-Year Awards), it is every bit the equal of its celebrated predeces ...more
Published October 6th 1999 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about The Italian Country Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Italian Country Table

Stephanie
Feb 16, 2009 Stephanie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Stephanie by: present from my mom
Shelves: cookbooks
I love her stories and sensibility! One of my favorite recipes in this book is the sweet pear and rosemary pizza, which combines fresh pears with fruity olive oil, rosemary, orange zest, and freshly ground black pepper. It is delicious!
Rachel
I want to make everything in this book. But most specifically I want to make the Potato "Gatto". Even more specifically I want to make a Potato Gatto the size of my dining room, eat my way into it, curl up, and nap for six weeks.
Melanie Turner
The Balsamico Chicken and Northern Mountain Dinner are really delicious. I also hear the chocolate coins are amazing. This cook book is VERY well done.
Terri Jacobson
A beautiful look at Italian cooking and culinary traditions. Beautiful photos, great recipes.
Karen
The best Italian cookbook I have ever seen. Will be making the "Crushed Buttermilk Potatoes". Yum Yum
Shauna
Feels like you actually visit Italy while reading this cook book.
Karen Eades
There are recipes in this book that I have made over and over, they are so good I crave them. Specifically, the Potato Gatto, the braised pork and three peppers over polenta, and the balsamico roast chicken and potatoes to name a few. The minestrone is great, as is the linguine with pistachio almond pesto. In addition to the recipes, I loved just reading all the stories and cooking advice in this book. The pictures make my mouth water.
Beth
Incredible read and incredible recipes. Rossetto Kasper is so good at explaining technique that the cookbook winds up being really accessible, even if you're not an experienced cook. For those who are, there's plenty there, particularly many old-time, family-style foods not normally written down. One of my favorite books (not just among cookbooks) ever.
Jim
Kaspar's books are all excellent but this is my favorite. Being prejudiced towards rural cooking of any cuisine, I think she produces a series of recipes that are each memorable when prepared, clearly explained, and illuminated by anecdotes of the region. A real keeper.
Lisa
May 25, 2013 Lisa marked it as to-read
Recommended to Lisa by: Peg Hensleigh
Shelves: food
perused this at Peg & Robb's. recipes look amazing. cook's notes are thoughtful. history is fun to read.
Dennis
I've always like to listen to Lynne Rossetto Kasper on NPR. Her books are just as much fun.
Elizabeth
Authentic Italian meals -- love this book for it's recipes and stories.
Joshua Herbert
I'ma gonna cook amy waya through thisa book.
Eric Hines
Sep 26, 2009 Eric Hines marked it as to-read
Shelves: food, cooking
food & cooking
Marianthi
Marianthi marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Connie Schuelka
Connie Schuelka is currently reading it
Apr 07, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Amy W
Amy W marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Lynne Rossetto Kasper is an award-winning American food writer and radio journalist. She is the host of the American Public Media program The Splendid Table, whose targeted audience is "people who love to eat." The weekly program features a series of interviews with chefs, restaurateurs, and wine experts. Guests vary from week to week, but every show includes a segment with food travelers and auth ...more
More about Lynne Rossetto Kasper...
The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper The Splendid Table The Splendid Table's How to Eat Weekends: New Recipes, Stories, and Opinions from Public Radio's Award-Winning Food Show Eating In with Lynne Rossetto Kasper Italian Holidays: Eating In with Lynne Rossetto Kasper, Issue 3