Start by marking “Gevaarlijke Dame” as Want to Read:
Gevaarlijke Dame

Gevaarlijke Dame (Maura Ryan #1)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  2,341 ratings  ·  80 reviews
De uit Ierland afkomstige familie Ryan woont in een achterbuurt van Londen. Gevlucht voor een troosteloze toekomst, maakt de ambitieuze oudste zoon Michael een bliksemcarrière in het criminele circuit en verschaft zo ook zijn familie 'werk'.

Zijn jongste en enige zusje, Maura, wil echter niets weten van de misdaden van haar broers. Tot een schokkende gebeurtenis haar ertoe
Published 1993 by Luitingh-Sijthoff (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Gevaarlijke Dame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gevaarlijke Dame

W.H. Johnson
I’ll tell what I was going to say when I finished this book, my first Martina Cole gangland novel. I had it in mind to muse on the fact that she is a best-selling author, that she certainly knows the world of crime and criminals and that she is without any doubt a compelling story teller. Dangerous Lady absolutely zips along and the reader is drawn into a gripping crime story, a crime saga, dealing as it does with the Ryans, an East End criminal family, over a period of thirty years. It’s a tale ...more
Jana
If I were 17 I think this book would have been perfect. Blow my mind in pieces and I would probably go to London and find myself an Irish boyfriend. Hohoho! Just yeah, not entirely 17 anymore and although this books smells like teen spirit, it smells as well like once upon a time gorgeous mister Harold Robbins and once upon a time irresistible mister Sidney Sheldon.

Well Martina Cole would have smelled even better if I were still 17. I think I will never forget Jennifer Parker from Sheldon's 'Ra
Barbra
I love this author's books - very gutsy and powerful.

Back Cover Blurb:
No one thinks a seventeen year old girl can take on the hard men of London's gangland, but its a mistake to underestimate Maura Ryan: she's tough, clever and beautiful - and she's determined that nothing will stand in her way.
Together, she and her brother Michael are unbeatable: the Queen and King of organised crime. But notoriety has its price. The police are determined to put away Maura once and for all - and not everyone in
Joanne Nock
This is the best book I've read in ages, genuinely gutted to not be able to rate it higher than 5*. One of Ms Cole's earliest, and in all honesty, probably a love story with a criminal twist rather than full on gangland-fest.
Here we meet the Ryan family for the first time, with the enigmatic Michael as the oldest, only girl Maura is the youngest and 7 boys of varying aptitudes in between.
My usual criticisms of Martina Cole in that she goes on a bit too long in racking up the violence and cou
John Marsh
Andrea
Engrossing read by an author who always provides vibrant characters and twisty plots. This is the first book about Maura Ryan, the youngest child in an impoverished Irish family whose fortunes improve when the eldest, Michael, becomes London's king of the underworld. This is as much about sibling loyalty and rivalry as it is about crime, and it's all very well done.
Nicole
This book started my long obsession with Martina Cole...great gritty stuff. Mobs, drugs, crime, sex, power...it's got it all! Love Martina Cole and this book was amazing!! Couldn't put it down!
if you like a book that keeps you hooked but has those moments where your not sure you want to keep reading this is the one for you
Tracy
This book is not one I would have naturally chosen, but having fallen into my lap I read this on holiday. Although not the most sophisticated read....what a belter of a story! I was hooked right to the end, the characters are brilliant, I really bonded with them and was keen to know how things would evolve for the relationships within the family. You could be a literary snob about this book, but what's the point when it provides great entertainment and does make you think about right and wrong a ...more
Moira
Excellent Britsh saga about a criminal firm run by the Ryan family.
Jamie
I liked this a lot - Martina Cole tells great stories - my only bug with some of her books is that the dialogue sounds a bit too posh for the London that she writes about...Geezers talking like they attended Eton just seems wrong, however in this earlier book, the dialogue seems more natural and as a result I enjoyed this a little bit more than some of her later books.

There are some very disturbing moments in the book, the violence is brutal but not horribly graphic and is in context - East End
David Roberts
I am reviewing the thriller novel Dangerous Lady by Martina Cole which is a very good book which I bought from a local supermarket. This novel was Martina's first published novel in 1992 and has recently been reissued to celebrate its 20th anniversary. Martina writes gritty thrillers centred in and around London and indeed she lived on a tough housing estate in Grays near London that inspires many of her novels. In terms of domestic sales she is one of Britain's top authors. Anyway this book is ...more
comfort
3.5 stars - if only Goodreads would give us this option.

This is the third Martina Cole book I have read, and whilst I find the storylines very engaging, I feel that once again the writing style is quite repetitive, I am not sure how many times I read "Mickey was attractive to both men and women" I got it the first time.

Story about a gutsy teenaged girl who takes on the family "business" with her brothers- most of whom are not as astute as she turns out to be.

We learn about the Ryan family right
Angela
This book is absolutely brilliant. I'm so glad I discovered Martina Cole. Dangerous Lady grabs hold of you from the start and you can't help but be engrossed in the story, unaware of the hours passing by. Highly recommend this wonderful book about a London gang-the Ryan family.
Lynette
This book started off really well, the first 3rd of it was superb, but around half way through I started to feel it was getting overly drawn out and lost its way.

The book overall was padded out with a bit too much repetition on character descriptions, I got the point the first time that Michael was big / good looking / dangerous, same goes for Maura, the repeated reminders of her appearance frustrated me. Also there was a lot of wasted time on pointless conversations between accessory character
Ruth
Pippa
This has a good pace. I'm not sure if I gave up because I thought it would be too heart-breaking, or because it hadn't held my interest well enough. I suspect it might have been the emotional place I was in.
Redfox5
I judged this by it's boring cover and thought this would be your normal run of the mill crime novel. But I was wrong. I ended up being really engaged in the story. I had a love hate relationship with the Ryans. They were likable but all nasty bastards. I didn't want them to have a happy ending, which is why I haven't given them full marks. This book has made me more inclined to pick up other Martina Cole books whereas I wouldn't have though about doing that before. I think this would make a rea ...more
Lewlin
A gritty family saga set in London's gangland, that is definitely worth reading. Whether the characters are good or bad, you can't help but like them.
Louise Jennings
This is the first book I read of martina cole and is a totally different style to what I normally read but I really enjoyed the book. It is based of a family brought up by a drunk dad and taught to rob and commit crimes sending them into a criminal life. With four of the brother being killed Maura takes over the business and ends up nearly gettin her and her other brothers killed due to police finding evidence presented by the mother only a long lost love saves her. It kind of shows how a lot of ...more
Jayne Wagner
I read this a couple of years ago! Maura is hard woman! It was great to refresh the brain, plus I've read most of the others so when Patrick Kelly was mentioned I was oooooohing! lol.. Can vaguely remember what happens in Maura #2 can't wait to read it again though.. :) x
Liane
This is the first time I have read a Martina Cole novel and it was fantastic!! It is not the normal sort of thing I go for -gangland crime and murder but I was surprise and every pleased to learn that I could not put it down! It was so easy to read, even though there are many characters, it switches from one to another with ease and every chapter leaves you desperate to know what happens in he next!

I am looking forward to reading the sequel and I have also downloaded four other Cole novels which
Amanda
Yes I've been reading a Martina Cole again. Another fantastic read. Its taken me a bit longer than usual again because I've been having some trouble staying away of an evening. A great read, a little stomach churning in places and the language is strong but again, not as strong language that I read in my first ever book. It's a strong story and yes there is a follow-up which I've read, and I think that's Maura's Game and yes I recommend that too. If you like Martina Cole, yes you will love this, ...more
MissDiva Luscious
Martina Cole is my favourite author and I find her books highly engaging and so so hard to put down
Haze Werner
First Martina Cole I have read. Really enjoyed it! I am onto the sequel now.
David Corrigan
My favorite of her books. Kept my interest, couldn't put it down :)
Shelley Raperport
excellent gritty mob book.enjoyed very much!
Richard
This is my first Martina Cole book. My partner has been glowing about her books for a while and this one has been on my kindle for a while, so I gave it a go. The story gripped me right from the start and never let up. The portrayal of gangster family in London between the 1950s-1980s was brilliantly described. If you like reading about the Krays or the Richardsons, this fictitious family the Ryans, supercedes even them. Fiction it may be, but close to the truth, probably. Never a wasted word th ...more
Rosalina Salfarlie
I had read most of it in college and had to give it back because my time was up. (I hate library times). The best underworld novel I have ever read that is all I cam say and tell you to pick it up and know for certain that you will love this book.
Pipa Guest
A good gangland thriller. Looking forward to reading Maura Ryan - book 2!
  • The Game
  • The Make
  • The Betrayer
Martina Cole was born and brought up in Essex. She is the bestselling author of fourteen novels set in London's gangland, and her most recent three paperbacks have gone straight to No. 1 in the Sunday Times on first publication. Total sales of Martina's novels stand at over eight million copies.

More about Martina Cole...

Maura Ryan (2 books)
  • Maura's Game (Maura Ryan, #2)
The Ladykiller The Runaway The Take Two Women Maura's Game (Maura Ryan, #2)