Start by marking “Jumping At Shadows” as Want to Read:
Jumping At Shadows

Jumping At Shadows

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  6 ratings  ·  5 reviews
When Belle discovers the secret of a family heirloom, she and her friend Rosy are propelled into a world of the shadows—the same shadows that have been haunting Belle all her life. Soon Belle realises that the future rests in her hands, and only she can keep the magic of her ancestors from falling into the clutches of a dangerous mad man.

Shadows have always haunted the wo...more
ebook, First Edition, 139 pages
Published July 14th 2012 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Jumping At Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jumping At Shadows

Tony Noland
In “Jumping at Shadows”, by Helen Howell, Belle and her school chum Rosy discover that an old family heirloom is the part of a magical inheritance, brought to our world by one of Belle’s ancestors, many hundreds of years ago. Digging in the garden, they unearth another section of the magical device. Upon bringing them together, powers are revealed that have lain dormant for centuries.

These came from a parallel world of magic and wizards, dreaded spells and usurpers battling for control of the la...more
Larry Kollar
I'm glad to say I had the opportunity to beta-read Jumping at Shadows last year. It was a fun read then, and it has only improved since. It made me think of a Hallmark Special, and I could almost hear the accents of the English girls as I read, except that Hallmark Specials don't often feature parallel worlds and magic. And there's some real grit in this story, don't let my comparison make you think it's all happy-sappy.

Belle and Rosy are charming girls, on the edge of adolescence, not yet inter...more
Tom Gillespie
For a while now, I have been reading and enjoying Helen Howell’s brilliant adult-themed short stories and works of flash fiction that frequently delve into the darker underside of human nature. But her latest release, Jumping at Shadows marks a delightful and unexpected shift in style and genre, and illustrates the versatility of Helen’s exceptional creative abilities.

Jumping at Shadows is a beautifully written fantasy aimed at kids of all ages. It is a story about a friendship between two girls...more
Katherine Hajer
Jumping at Shadows is a fantasy novella for ages 8 and up, written by Helen Howell.

Belle and her best friend Rosy are fourteen, and endure the taunts of the local "mean girls" on a daily basis. The girls tease Rosy for her looks (and her refusal to give in to their bullying), but they are mean to Belle because she's different. She claims to be able to see shadow-people that no one else besides her mother and grandmother can see, a trait inherited in her family along the female line.

That ability,...more
Cathy Olliffe-Webster
Author Helen Howell has such a charming 'voice' in this book that Jumping at Shadows is remarkably hard to put down. The two youngsters who 'jump' from adventure to adventure are funny and sweet (but not too sweet) and manage to ingratiate themselves with the reader as their story picks up steam.

What young girl doesn't dream of travelling to faraway and imaginary lands where magic rules and evil lurks around every corner; a place where spunk and bravery can rule the day and the bad guy may not s...more
Carolyn Injoy
Carolyn Injoy marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
John Wiswell
John Wiswell marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Sherry Fundin
Sherry Fundin marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Chuck Allen
Chuck Allen marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2013
Ashlea
Ashlea is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2012
Gale Stanley
Gale Stanley marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2012
Helen
Jul 25, 2012 Helen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Helen is the author of Jumping At Shadows, her debut Novella, a fantasy fiction for children 9/10 years up to adults, released in 2012.

Her second Novella I Know You Know, a Psychic Thriller for adults, was released by Crooked Cat Publishing on February 21 2013.

Her New Novella Mind Noise will be released early in 2014 by Crooked Cat publishing.

She is a fiction writer, who writes in several genres w...more
More about Helen A. Howell...
I Know You Know Mind Noise Jumping at Shadows FEAR: A Modern Anthology of Horror and Terror (Volume 2)