Start by marking “Eye of the Moonrat (The Bowl of Souls, #1)” as Want to Read:
Eye of the Moonrat (The Bowl of Souls, #1)
read excerpt

Eye of the Moonrat (The Bowl of Souls #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  797 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Justan was raised on the outskirts of the Dremaldrian Battle Academy. He watched his father ascend the ranks within the academy to become one of the most respected warriors in the kingdom. The only thing he has ever wanted is to become an academy student and follow the path of his father. Unfortunately, only the best can enter the academy and Justan is a horrible fighter....more
Kindle Edition, Ebook, 360 pages
Published May 13th 2012 by Amazon: Kindle Direct

To ask other readers questions about Eye of the Moonrat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eye of the Moonrat

The Orb of Truth by Brae WyckoffBlood Song by Anthony  RyanThe Emperor's Edge by Lindsay BurokerThe Silver Sphere by Michael DadichBlood and Betrayal by Lindsay Buroker
Best Indie Fantasy Books
110th out of 540 books — 1,089 voters
Hounded by Kevin HearneStorm Front by Jim ButcherThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussZero Sight by B. Justin ShierZero Sum by B. Justin Shier
Contemporary Fantasy for Guys
153rd out of 425 books — 264 voters

More lists with this book...

Dany Zaidi
This book is one of my all time favourite book. It has a heroic fantasy story line in which the main character is weak but gets stronger and stronger and before you know it he is the guy who everyone turns to. Although this is how most heroic fantasy goes I really like the fact that it all makes sense. I mean yea Justan becomes stronger but it didn't take him a chapter to become from weak to he-man. No it happens slowly but surely. I like the fact that he got stronger by his own efforts first be...more
Timothy
The Eye of the Moonrat, all things considered is a good read. I will say the book does seem to start off as a young adult novel from the viewpoint of a teen who thinks he knows better then all how to become a warrior. There is growth in the character but the first few chapters can be a bit hard to get through. Though the book starts out as a coming of age story you tend to loose site of that rather quickly.

I thought the characters were well thought out. The showed growth and depth along the jou...more
Ben Hale
Eye of the Moonrat follows a young man that wants to master weapon skills like his father. At first glance it might appear as your run of the mill fantasy, but there are a number of things that set this book and series apart.
First, the progression of the main character's growth is exceptional, and in many ways, unexpected. At many points he struggles a great deal before accomplishing anything. The author did an excellent job not making him too strong right from the beginning.
Second, the villai...more
We start out with Justan being portrayed as an underdog - brilliant at strategy, but unable to perform in physical combat. His second and last try at getting enough points in the entrance tournament to the Warrior's Academy fails, but he's given an unexpected chance to try one more time.

As he begins his training, it's quickly shown that there's no disability or other physical limitation holding him back, simply the fact that he never pushed his physical limits and generally assumed that he knew...more
Paul Leitner
the premise of an incapable protagonist valiantly trying his best was intriguing, if not terribly inspired.
It was completely invalidated when halfway through the book, the protagonist is suddenly (in the book equivalent of a "rocky" montage) transformed into mr. perfect. And no, it does not get better or more believable in the next books of the series.
Andy
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Eye of the Moonrat tells the story of a boy whose only desire is to enter to warrior school in hopes to follow in his father's foot steps. This was a fast fun read and though it follows a classic fantasy theme the author was very creative. I read all the books in the series as well as the novella Hilt's Pride written by Trevor H. Cooley ( a self published author ). I am anxiously awaiting the fourth book in the series and Trevor H. Cooley will remain on my reading...more
Steven
Very good the beginning was okay but luckily it progressively got better so far i'm am happy with this book i can't admit i would have done things the same way lol he was very complacent in my opinion but still i started on the second book so far it's pretty good can't wait to see what happens so many mystery's so many possible outcomes it keeps you guessing and i believe thats one of the things i like most about this book

I hope you all enjoy it as much as i did :)
Kristoffer Jarvis sr.
Super fantastic adventure . I absolutely loved this whole series so far . I still have to read book 5 and on. I'm excited to start them . I have put them off for awhile in hopes that audible.com would get off there butts and record these books... Ah well. I guess I better fit them into my busy life and if audible ever gets around to it then I'll listen to them then too.
Vaelin
Another great Indie read! I was initially a bit wary of the title and the fact a lot of readers were mentioning it reads like a YA coming of age story (first 15% was a bit worrying) but was very happy with how it panned out. It certainly kept me wanting to continue reading and find out what was next (always a good sign LOL)and I will certainly be reading Book 2!

Sam Lonberg
Enjoyable read. The main character is ok, but the supporting characters are quite good. There is a lot going on this story, so the writing is pretty bare bones and straightforward. It does pick up near the end, so I am looking forward to the next book in the series.
Raychel
I like how the hero isn't naturally skilled or strong, he really has to work at everything. I also like that he has flaws, he's arrogant, full of himself, and unwilling to ask for help. It makes him human
Roger Walker
It was good, but I would've liked it more if it was written more as a standalone book. It feels only halfway done (because it is) even though I finished a full book.
Rob Davies
What a fantastic read this was. Brilliant story, excellent characters and very well written. I was gripped from the first chapter. Bring on book two!
Gautam Surath
Eye of the Moonrat is one of those easy adds to your "to-read" shelf. Its got a decent overall rating and the synopsis is intriguing. So it appears to have all the things going for it making 3 stars I give it a bit of a disappointment. But in some ways it has set up the books to come so well that it ensures you will continue with the series and that in itself is a job done. Trevor handles the multiple POV's nicely and each protagonist has been very interestingly crafted. You know these protagoni...more
Carrie Snider
I actually read Trevor's manuscript and edited it a bit before he published it. I enjoyed the story, and Trevor's passion comes through.
John Hoddy
Really enjoyable fantasy. I loved the characters, especially Fist the ogre. Definitely reading the rest of the series.
Mel
Dwarves, Elves, warriors, wizards, ghosts, kick ass chicks. Hoo baby was this book for me! I recommend!!!
Steve Johnston
Not overly original but very enjoyable. It's one of the better stories I have read of late.
Roberta Polak
A little juvenile, but a good read nonetheless. Already picked up book 2 in the series.
John Angelidis
20 pages in and I don't know if it's medieval fantasy or modern times.
There are swords but there is also bulying and mages in a school where people freely beat each other with sticks plus 17 year olds are treated and act like boys.

Actual quote from the book :

"No one’s gonna hassle you about it, Benjo. This is a warrior training school..."

Yea mate warriors are known for their lack of discipline, wth.

Another one :

“Who are you?”
A frown appeared on her fair face. “That is not for you to ask, boy.”...more
Bryan Bonesteel
Great book and series!! Can't wait for the next series from Trevor H. Cooley!!
Sally
Loved it! This will probably be one of my new favorite fantasy authors.
Rodrigo Da silva
Really enjoyable. Looking forward to the sequel.
Kathy
Fantastic! Can't wait to read the next one!
David Stringer
I really enjoyed this book, and recommend with ease! As a genre I was getting a little tired of it, and so begun this with a sense of 'here we go again'. But I was pleasantly surprised.

It wasn't full of the usual exotic and absurd names that you struggle to keep up with, get confused by and subsequently follow. The writing style has a nice simple flow to it and the author has done a great job keeping the story and character development going throughout the story.

One big feature I liked, was the...more
Amanda Kern
I picked this book on a whim. Now I am hooked. I can not believe what happens this character in a short amount of time. I read this book in one night and I was left for wanting more. It dragged me along with Justan and his adventures. I can not wait till the next book for I want to know what is going to happen next.
There is currently four our of the five books out. There is also a side story one of the sub characters. I have read all of Mr. Cooley books so far. I am currently waiting impatient...more
Alex
I've already read this whole series from start to finish. Having grown up reading fantasy, sometimes, I find myself yearning for another epic tale to dive into, and this one delivers. Easy to read, the plot is also complex enough to engage any reader. Even on rereads, you will see new things that Trevor planted to give you hints about what is to come. I have started reading the series over again, but now with my husband who enjoys this book as well.
Phillip Olive
I'm not a huge fan of the classic fantasy worlds with orcs, goblins, dwarves and wizards. However that being said I loved this book. I had a hard time putting it down. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because the ending felt more to me like a chapter break. This does not stand well by itself. Good thing for me it seems this 5 book series has already been completed.
Andrew
Loved it, i skipped the history of the hound(most of it), dont really like the 3 people perspective and i hope that justan(i think that is the name) manage to screw the whole mage academy, then leave and defend his home as a warrior-mage,
you know, the "i take the magic in" and all.

ps: SCREW THE WHITE WIZARD, HOPE HE DIES AT THE PROTA´S HANDS :)
Review trailer 2 11 Jun 23, 2014 05:39AM
  • Magus (Advent Mage Cycle, #2)
  • Whill of Agora (Whill of Agora, #1)
  • Wielder's Awakening (Wielder, #1)
  • The Sorcerer's Ascension (The Sorcerer's Path, #1)
  • House of Blades (The Traveler's Gate Trilogy, #1)
  • The Builder (The Young Ancients, #1)
  • Wizard Rising (The Five Kingdoms, #1)
  • Elseerian (The Chronicles of Lumineia: The Second Draeken War, #1)
  • Thinblade (Sovereign of the Seven Isles, #1)
  • A Crucible of Souls (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #1)
  • Taming Fire (Dragonprince Trilogy #1)
  • Sword Bearer (Return of the Dragons, #1)
  • The Shadow of Gods (The Godling Chronicles, Book #3)
  • The Noble Fool (The Hungering Saga, #1)
  • Apprentice Swordceror (Blademage Saga, #1)
I was born in South Carolina and have lived all around the United states. Utah, New Mexico, Michigan and Tennessee.

I started reading novels in second grade and my love of Fantasy started with Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain series. I couldn't get enough, continued with David Eddings, Tolkein, Robert Jordan. All I wanted was to become a published writer.

The characters and concepts that even...more
More about Trevor H. Cooley...
Messenger of the Dark Prophet (The Bowl of Souls #2) Hunt of the Bandham (The Bowl of Souls, #3) The War of Stardeon (The Bowl of Souls, #4) Mother of the Moonrat (The Bowl of Souls #5) Hilt's Pride (The Bowl of Souls, #1.5)