Start by marking “Letters to a Fellow Seeker: A Short Introduction to the Quaker Way” as Want to Read:
Letters to a Fellow Seeker: A Short Introduction to the Quaker Way

Letters to a Fellow Seeker: A Short Introduction to the Quaker Way

In seven letters to a fictional correspondent, Steve Chase describes his spiritual journey among Quakers. The writer introduces the Quaker way to a newcomer in language that is personal and gentle, while offering powerful inspiration through stories.
Published June 2012 by QuakerPress of FGC

To ask other readers questions about Letters to a Fellow Seeker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters to a Fellow Seeker

Betty
Apr 01, 2015 Betty rated it really liked it
Title: Letters to a Fellow Seeker
Author: Steve Chase
Genre: Nonfiction, spirituality, Quakers
Setting: Mostly the modern day.
Reason for Reading: This was available to borrow at the Friends Meeting I've been visiting, and I've been looking for a good, short introduction.
Finished In: A day.
Pages: An easy 110.
Copyright Date: 2012
Cover: A photo of a youngish white guy typing on a tablet. There's a Bible on the table beside him.
Excerpt: The book is set up as a series of letters, as the title suggests.
Chel
Jul 14, 2012 Chel rated it it was amazing
I'm somewhat biased as the publisher of this book, but nonetheless, I do think it's great! Steve Chase describes what Quakers are and what it's like to be a Quaker in a very personal, inviting way. In doing so, he tells the story of his own spiritual journey, shows how he has wrestled with his values, and offers a lot of material for consideration (I was going to say meat to chew on, but remembered how many vegetarian friends I have). I think the book will be engaging not only to people who are ...more
Allison
Jul 15, 2016 Allison rated it really liked it
Loaned to me by a friend. A very readable and engaging summary of the Quaker faith, which I had not read much on since being assigned excerpts from The Journals of John Woolman in college. I found the author's orthodox Christianity a bit unexpected, as I am not accustomed to thinking of the Friends that way--a fact he addresses in the book. Overall, a very good introduction to an unusual faith tradition.
Gloria
Oct 29, 2012 Gloria rated it liked it
Shelves: for-the-spirit
Rather brief, easy to read book that answers many questions that a casual seeker might have. The questions are posed as letters. The questions are clearly meant to direct the reader to certain information. The author candidly answers many questions about style of worship, etc., and includes his own introduction to the Quaker life. Would be a good introduction to the faith.
Zana
Aug 19, 2014 Zana rated it really liked it
Very good introduction to the Quaker way. It was a little strange to read at first, as I've met Steve and the things that he shares in the book about his own spiritual journey are more intimate than I feel like I *should* know given our level of intimacy, but that wore off fast. I wish I hadn't waited an entire year to read it.
Kelly Poe
Nov 25, 2014 Kelly Poe rated it really liked it
I would recommend to anyone curious about the Quaker way or any relatively new Friends. I'm the latter, and this quick read taught me a lot about Quaker history as well as helped to make me much more productive in my silent worship.
Shirley
Apr 03, 2013 Shirley rated it really liked it
Good introduction to conservative Quaker meetings and process. Written as letters to a friend, it is quite personal and well-explained. Easy to read. Worth the time if you are interested in getting a basic understanding of Quakerism.
Amy Zavala
Amy Zavala rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2014
J. Brent Bill
J. Brent Bill rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2013
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2013
Douglas
Douglas rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2012
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Gary
Gary rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Gary
Gary rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Miriam Fisher
Miriam Fisher rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Harold Eppley
Harold Eppley rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Joel
Joel rated it it was ok
May 17, 2015
Ed Morrow
Ed Morrow rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2013
George
George rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Ruah Swennerfelt
Ruah Swennerfelt rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2013
Mary Elliott
Mary Elliott rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2014
Emmey
Emmey rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2013
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2012
Janola
Janola marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2012
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2012
Christie
Christie is currently reading it
Oct 10, 2012
Galadriel
Galadriel marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2012
T Hamboyan Harrison
T Hamboyan Harrison marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2013
Twinette Mcdonald
Twinette Mcdonald marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2013
Brigham
Brigham marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
Bottleupandessplode
Bottleupandessplode marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Dena Sanders
Dena Sanders marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Alicia Donner
Alicia Donner marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Niadwynwen Koch
Niadwynwen Koch marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Lainie
Lainie marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Marilee Gabriel
Marilee Gabriel marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Patricia
Patricia is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2015
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Elaine Byrd
Elaine Byrd marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Kendra Anspaugh
Kendra Anspaugh marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015