Start by marking “The Courtship of Miles Standish” as Want to Read:
The Courtship of Miles Standish

The Courtship of Miles Standish

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  15 reviews
This is a poem about the courtship of Miles Standish and Priscilla Mullins and then the Marriage of Priscilla Mullins to John Alden
Published April 10th 2007 by Nuvision Publications (first published 1858)

To ask other readers questions about The Courtship of Miles Standish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Courtship of Miles Standish

Tyler
What a refreshing change of pace. A great Sunday read about a long-ago ancestor. The book belonged to my great-grandfather, Howard Engh, and was given to me by my grandmother. A neat "decorative" book, it sat on my shelf for years and years until I was finally curious enough to open it up.

In essence, it's a love-triangle of pilgrims who arrived on the Mayflower in the form of a poetic ballad.
Aimee
but it was still better than the Twilight series.
Leslie
I found this poem a bit disappointing. I am glad I read it as its plot is part of the local history of Massachusetts, dealing as it does with the Pilgrims first few years in Plymouth, and I have seen parts of the poem quoted many times before (especially Priscilla's remark to John Alden). However, I found the poetry itself lacking a bit compared to other of Longfellow's works.
Benjamin
Nice allusions all throughout the poem, but otherwise I guess I have to say it's not my style of poetry. Perhaps it's Longfellow in general, perhaps it's just this poem. I don't know that I've read anything else by him. But I think I'll go back to the likes of Coleridge and Tennyson for poetry.
Julie
I ran across an old (1896) copy of this in the library and I was instantly reminded of "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving", in which Sally complains about how she has to give a report about Miles Standish, and Marcie refers to Peppermint Patty as Priscilla. The stitched binding, the heavy weight glossy paper with ink you could feel across the slippery pages certainly added to the pleasure of this read. The story though is indeed a classic. Longfellow's characters come to life quickly, and the story i ...more
Marcus
It's a little cheesy at times:
"Truly, Priscilla," he said, "when I see you spinning and spinning,
Never idle a moment, but thrifty and thoughtful of others,
Suddenly you are transformed, are visibly changed in a moment;
You are no longer Priscilla, but Bertha the Beautiful Spinner."
And awesome at others:
"Look! you can see from this window my brazen howitzer planted
High on the roof of the church, a preacher who speaks to the purpose,
Steady, straightforward, and strong, with irresistible logic,
Orthod
Ruby Hopkins
Have always loved this story, and fell in love with a beautiful, expensive hardcover edition (not this one :)) at Loganberry Books. After yearning for it for so long, I got it for my birthday one year, and it has remained one of my greatest treasures, not because of the book, but because even when I was really little I fell in love with the story of Priscilla Mullins and John... John... What's his name. Alden. Such a lovely poem and should be read by everyone, especially since Longfellow was wri ...more
I was vaguely familiar with this story thanks to my mother and an episode of Wishbone back in the day, but I'm glad I finally read it in its entirety. I enjoyed reading it aloud on a cold, rainy Sunday afternoon and was quite impressed with some of Longfellow's insights into the female mind. 3 stars for its predictability and historical inaccuracies, but I love the verse.
Priscilla Ferrara
I'm probably biased due to my name. However, I was not disappointed when I picked up this little story/poem. I always felt a tinge of shame for being so outspoken and direct with people but I'm glad to see there's another Priscilla that's not afraid to be assertive. :)
McLean
There's some unfortunate rather casual racism with regards to the Native Americans in this story, but the rest of the story is a nice little slice-of-life picture of Pilgrim life. This will likely end up being a fairly regular Thanksgiving read for me.
Julie
I decided to read it because it was one of the books in the game "Authors" which we played as kids. I'm glad I read it, but was glad when it was over. Not what I expected. I LOVE the poem of Paul Revere's Ride much more.
Kailey
I like the humor in this one. It made me laugh. Lovely wording; I found myself getting caught up in a single phrase for moments at a time. Can't remember the last time I enjoyed poetry so much!
Laurel Hicks
A great story beautifully told. Longfellow does a wonderful job of transporting the rhythm of Homer and Virgil to the New World.
Aryn
Jun 02, 2008 Aryn added it
The agony and loyalty of John Alden, wow! I love this, although I may be a bit impartial him being an ancestor of mine...
Sarah Smith
This was way too long. I did like it, however.
Joy C.
Joy C. marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Janet
Janet added it
Apr 09, 2015
Jessica Gemeinhart
Jessica Gemeinhart marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Candace
Candace marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Adia Standard
Adia Standard marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Stephen Wiseheart
Stephen Wiseheart marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Jennifer Trzeciak
Jennifer Trzeciak marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
  • The Adventures of Old Man Coyote
  • Wild Animals I Have Known
  • This Country of Ours
  • A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • The Story Of The Greeks (1896)
  • The King of Ireland's Son
  • The Bears of Blue River
  • The Offshore Pirate
  • American History Stories You Never Read in School but Should Have (Vol.1)
  • The Wonder Clock or, Four and Twenty Marvelous Tales
  • History of Julius Caesar (With Engravings)
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was an American poet whose works include "Paul Revere's Ride", The Song of Hiawatha, and "Evangeline". He was also the first American to translate Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy and was one of the five members of the group known as the Fireside Poets.

Longfellow was born in Portland, Maine and studied at Bowdoin College. After spending time in Europe he became a prof
More about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow...
The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere The Song of Hiawatha Evangeline: A Tale of Acadie Favorite Poems Henry Wadsworth Longfellow: Poems and Other Writings

“Yes, we must ever be friends; and of all who offer you friendship let me be ever the first, the truest, the nearest and dearest!” 17 likes