Start by marking “The Spectacular” as Want to Read:
The Spectacular

The Spectacular

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  37 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
From the same fictional world as his forthcoming novel Hawthorn & Child, Keith Ridgway gives us a self-contained story about the danger of stories. A novelist that no one reads, Clive Drayton has decided to set aside literary fiction and write a bestseller. Easy, right? But there are choices to be made. What sort of story should it be? A thriller, of course. About a co ...more
Published June 11th 2012 by Granta Books

To ask other readers questions about The Spectacular, please sign up.

Sue Bridgwater I don't know how you're fixed for Indie bookshops, but my local one will always go to great lengths to get anything, including POD items. I never…moreI don't know how you're fixed for Indie bookshops, but my local one will always go to great lengths to get anything, including POD items. I never resort either to chain bookshops or online until I've tried that. It may mean a short wait, but they rarely fail me.(less)

Aaron (Typographical Era)
Feb 21, 2013 Aaron (Typographical Era) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Keith Ridgway returns to the wonderfully perplexing universe of Hawthorn and Child with his newest offering, The Spectacular: An Olympic Event.

The novels of Clive Drayton are critically acclaimed by the press and overwhelmingly ignored by mainstream readers. His lack of commercial success, coupled with his recent falling out with his wife has left him in dire financial straits. He’s moved into his own apartment and he’s ready to write his next book. Challenged by his agent’s claim that he couldn
Andy Weston
Jan 12, 2014 Andy Weston rated it it was amazing
Its almost impossible to review this and not give away any of the story. It is such a short novel that each part of the story is key. Suffice to say, it's about a novelist trying to write his tour de force. That's enough. All I can say is read it. It will take you less than an hour and is fantastic entertainment.

As with Hawthorn and Child, Ridgway writes with that black humour that is becoming his hallmark, and makes you chuckle away at the most inappropriate time.

Highly recommended.
Blair
A very short story which is nevertheless brilliant. I bought this because I really want Hawthorn & Child and can't really afford it at the moment, but my idea has kind of backfired, as I enjoyed The Spectacular so much that I now want to read the full-length book about ten times more than I did before! I loved everything about this - the premise, the style, the humour. Excellent.
Gary Lyons
Feb 10, 2013 Gary Lyons rated it really liked it
A nice little surprise at the end of my kindle edition of "Hawthorn and Child".

Ridgway's short story on the dangers of story writing and being too involved in your work.

Carolyn
Sep 02, 2012 Carolyn rated it really liked it
very clever
Helen Bundy
Helen Bundy rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Rosie
Rosie marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Tom
Tom rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2016
Jyoti51
Jyoti51 rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Colin Greenland
Colin Greenland marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Jennifer S. Rubin
Jennifer S. Rubin marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Jonathan O'Brien
Jonathan O'Brien rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Nonums
Nonums rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Susan
Susan is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2015
Ada
Ada marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Alison Gray
Alison Gray rated it really liked it
May 06, 2015
Aya
Aya marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Sarah McMullan
Sarah McMullan is currently reading it
Jan 03, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Dec 10, 2014
Sumeet
Sumeet marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
John
John rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Cryssilda
Cryssilda rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2014
Lori
Lori rated it did not like it
Feb 04, 2016
Rachelmusician
Rachelmusician marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Imogen G
Imogen G marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
John
John rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2014
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014