Start by marking “The Things I Want Most: The Extraordinary Story of a Boy's Journey to a Family of His Own” as Want to Read:

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  84 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The remarkable story of a couple who risked everything to open their home--and their hearts--to answer an abandoned child's wish.

It was a small note buried in the file of a deeply troubled eleven-year-old boy--a plea for a normal life Rich and Sue Miniter couldn't ignore:

The Things I Want MOST:
A family
A fishing pole
A familyThe Miniters heard in that simple note the voice o
Published February 1st 2000 by Bantam (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Things I Want Most, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Things I Want Most

Every Silver Lining Has a Cloud by Scott StevensGarbage Bag Suitcase by Shenandoah ChefaloGoodnight, and Thanks for the Vodka by Harpie2003 - Thanks for the Vodka by Harpie2004 - Thanks for the Vodka by Harpie
Social Work/Human Service Books
103rd out of 142 books — 74 voters
The Horse and His Boy by C.S. LewisThe Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John BoyneThe Kitchen Boy by Robert AlexanderThe Boy in the Suitcase by Lene KaaberbølFarmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Books with the word 'Boy' in the title
126th out of 193 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Silk
Honest account of the risk undertaken when adopting a "difficult" child. Gives you lots to think about if you are considering adoption of an older child.
Thais
Nov 06, 2012 Thais rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Mike è un cosiddetto "bambino difficile", ha alle spalle una lunga storia di abbandoni, e quando Rich e Sue decidono di prenderlo in affido non sanno cosa li aspetta. Credevano che fosse un esserino debole e bisognoso d'amore, e che l'affetto di due persone che lo trattassero come un figlio avrebbe risolto tutti i suoi problemi. Ma Mike sa che quella a cui è stato affidato è solo una famiglia temporanea, e fa di tutto per non affezionarsi, esplodendo in scatti di rabbia quando si accorge di aver
Christine
Jan 01, 2011 Christine rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
This book is different than most books I enjoy reading, although I do love memoirs. It is about a unique and inspiring family who takes on a difficult foster child named Mike. The setting is lovely - you can just imagine the beautiful mountains of upstate New York and their cozy country inn. On the other hand, you can picture every detail of their heart-wrenching interactions with Mike as he struggles to find himself and acclimate to their family. I was so fascinated with the story that I wanted ...more
Maria Michaloski
Jun 20, 2015 Maria Michaloski rated it it was amazing
Loved this. It was very well-written. I laughed with it and I cried with it. Very moving.
Torina
Oct 17, 2011 Torina rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I read it every few years because the boy in the story is so similar to our daughter. It is ironic because the first time I read it was before I met our daughter and I thought that nothing like that would EVER happen to us. Ta da! It did! And it is okay and entertaining and hard and wonderful. Just like this book.
Shannyboo
Feb 28, 2011 Shannyboo rated it really liked it
This is the story of a foster child, and the family who took him in. I don't think I could ever be a foster parent, it sounds so incredibly hard, but I think it is amazing that this family took this child and just kept trying and trying until they finally made some progress. It's very sad in parts, but definitely a good read.
Shannon
May 28, 2007 Shannon rated it liked it
Recommends it for: child welfare workers
This book was an easy, quick read. If you are interested in foster children, you would likely enjoy it. The writing is pedestrian, and the author uses a formula that gets predictable quickly (kid acts out, chaos ensues, parents have light bulb moment,changes made, kid makes miraculous improvements, rinse, repeat.)
Amanda
Mar 24, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I felt it was a good description of foster care of hard kids from the foster parents view. I really love that this family stuck with this kid and didn't give up!!!
Christine
Sep 27, 2011 Christine rated it it was amazing
This book really inspired me and I keep coming back to the story over and over again. Wonderful. Unexpected.

I even emailed the author and after many months he wrote me back. It was very sweet of him to take the time.
Jen
Jan 04, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it
Would recommend this book to anyone thinking of becoming a foster parent, or anyone with a "difficult" child. I don't have children, but it was an interesting read for me.
Karen
Dec 13, 2010 Karen rated it it was ok
A difficult story... sad and inspiring and frustrating all at once. I realized even more what mamzing angels foster and adoptive parents are.
Hannah
Oct 08, 2012 Hannah added it
Shelves: adoption
SO good. about a foster child with lots of behavioral trouble, told by the father. very encouraging story.
Nadine
Jan 30, 2013 Nadine rated it it was amazing
A page turner. I had to stay up late a few nights cause I couldn't put it down.
Phoebe
Phoebe marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Abigail Cornejo
Abigail Cornejo rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Agni
Agni marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Peggy Geiger
Peggy Geiger marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Laura added it
Mar 30, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Monica Riva
Monica Riva rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2016
Nikki Maurice
Nikki Maurice rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Chandler
Chandler rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Dec 21, 2015
Melindatestori
Melindatestori marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Claire Yar
Claire Yar rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2015
Jennifer Wells
Jennifer Wells rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015
Maura50
Maura50 rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2015
Meg Leight
Meg Leight rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2015