Start by marking “The Things I Want Most: The Extraordinary Story of a Boy's Journey to a Family of His Own” as Want to Read:

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The remarkable story of a couple who risked everything to open their home--and their hearts--to answer an abandoned child's wish.

It was a small note buried in the file of a deeply troubled eleven-year-old boy--a plea for a normal life Rich and Sue Miniter couldn't ignore:

The Things I Want MOST:
A family
A fishing pole
A familyThe Miniters heard in that simple note the voice o
Published February 1st 2000 by Bantam (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Things I Want Most, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Things I Want Most

Honest account of the risk undertaken when adopting a "difficult" child. Gives you lots to think about if you are considering adoption of an older child.

Mike è un cosiddetto "bambino difficile", ha alle spalle una lunga storia di abbandoni, e quando Rich e Sue decidono di prenderlo in affido non sanno cosa li aspetta. Credevano che fosse un esserino debole e bisognoso d'amore, e che l'affetto di due persone che lo trattassero come un figlio avrebbe risolto tutti i suoi problemi. Ma Mike sa che quella a cui è stato affidato è solo una famiglia temporanea, e fa di tutto per non affezionarsi, esplodendo in scatti di rabbia quando si accorge di aver
This book is different than most books I enjoy reading, although I do love memoirs. It is about a unique and inspiring family who takes on a difficult foster child named Mike. The setting is lovely - you can just imagine the beautiful mountains of upstate New York and their cozy country inn. On the other hand, you can picture every detail of their heart-wrenching interactions with Mike as he struggles to find himself and acclimate to their family. I was so fascinated with the story that I wanted ...more
Maria Michaloski
Loved this. It was very well-written. I laughed with it and I cried with it. Very moving.
I love this book. I read it every few years because the boy in the story is so similar to our daughter. It is ironic because the first time I read it was before I met our daughter and I thought that nothing like that would EVER happen to us. Ta da! It did! And it is okay and entertaining and hard and wonderful. Just like this book.
This is the story of a foster child, and the family who took him in. I don't think I could ever be a foster parent, it sounds so incredibly hard, but I think it is amazing that this family took this child and just kept trying and trying until they finally made some progress. It's very sad in parts, but definitely a good read.
May 28, 2007 Shannon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: child welfare workers
This book was an easy, quick read. If you are interested in foster children, you would likely enjoy it. The writing is pedestrian, and the author uses a formula that gets predictable quickly (kid acts out, chaos ensues, parents have light bulb moment,changes made, kid makes miraculous improvements, rinse, repeat.)
I really enjoyed this book. I felt it was a good description of foster care of hard kids from the foster parents view. I really love that this family stuck with this kid and didn't give up!!!
This book really inspired me and I keep coming back to the story over and over again. Wonderful. Unexpected.

I even emailed the author and after many months he wrote me back. It was very sweet of him to take the time.
Would recommend this book to anyone thinking of becoming a foster parent, or anyone with a "difficult" child. I don't have children, but it was an interesting read for me.
A difficult story... sad and inspiring and frustrating all at once. I realized even more what mamzing angels foster and adoptive parents are.
Oct 08, 2012 Hannah added it
Shelves: adoption
SO good. about a foster child with lots of behavioral trouble, told by the father. very encouraging story.
A page turner. I had to stay up late a few nights cause I couldn't put it down.
Melindatestori marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Sherri marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Shi marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Julie Schmidt
Julie Schmidt marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Arlene marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Hasan Brusk
Hasan Brusk marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Disinformation: 22 Media Myths That Undermine the War on Terror Leading from Behind: The Reluctant President and the Advisors Who Decide for Him Shadow War: The Untold Story of How America is Winning the War on Terror Losing Bin Laden: How Bill Clinton's Failures Unleashed Global Terror Mastermind: The Many Faces of the 9/11 Architect, Khalid Shaikh Mohammed