Start by marking “Vietnam: The Ten Thousand Day War” as Want to Read:
Vietnam: The Ten Thousand Day War

Vietnam: The Ten Thousand Day War

Hardcover, First Edition (U.K.), 368 pages
Published January 11th 1981 by Thames/Methuen Publishing Ltd. (first published January 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Vietnam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vietnam

R.M.F Brown
Mar 31, 2013 R.M.F Brown rated it it was amazing
Looking back on the Vietnam war, you could be forgiven for asking: what in God's name went wrong?

Maclear's book charts the development of the war from 1945 to the fateful escalation in the gulf of Tonkin, along the way highlighting a catalouge of missed opportunities and sheer stupidity on both sides.

We see the drip drip drip of mission creep as successive presidents from Eisenhower to Kennedy slowly commit more and more combat resources to Saigon. We see the destruction of Johnson, who's socia
Kevin Tole
May 05, 2014 Kevin Tole rated it it was amazing
I first read this book not long after it came out. It was required reading back then. I didn't know anything about it being a part of a TV series. Recently I have wanted to go back over things like Vietnam and this book came immediately to mind and finally I managed to get a copy secondhand.It seems quite mad that a book as good as this should be out of print and unavailable in a new copy and edition.

This is THE best non-fiction book I have come across on Vietnam and it still sits proud above th
Tom Oman
Jul 22, 2013 Tom Oman rated it it was amazing
This may be, or at least was at one time, the definitive book about the Vietnam War. It provides an all encompassing overview of the whole conflict from French involvement, and into the post-US withdrawal years to the end of the conflict (hence the 10,000 days).

Might be a little bit heavy reading for someone with absolutely no background regarding the conflict. But it does a great job of discussing the entire episode from the highest levels of international diplomacy, down to individual battles
Tom B
Nov 14, 2016 Tom B rated it liked it
This book gives a great account of the war in Vietnam. Not only the war with the Americans, but also with the French. However there are some flaws in this book. Although the book follows mostly a chronological path, it jumps back and forth a lot, which makes it a bit hard to follow some times. Also the book provides only a single map and no other visuals.
Emily
Mar 23, 2010 Emily rated it it was ok
This book took me a very long time to read. My brother passed it on to me over a year ago, and I started it a couple of times but could never stick with it. I finally was able to finish it out of desperation when I moved and had no television or internet or anything better to read unpacked. I really love learning about history, and I love understanding historical events and their significance... i can say that I accomplished one of those two by reading this book. I did "learn" more about the ...more
Bruce
Mar 06, 2009 Bruce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, like others I have read, points out mistakes that were made beginning with getting involved in Vietnam after WW II. Several individuals argued against it but their arguments went unheeded. There is also mention of unintended signals i.e. the removal of an individual from the embassy staff for reasons not pertaining to the war. There is also the issue of not following Sun Tzu's advice which was to 'know your enemy'. MacLear also discusses Nixon's 'madman theory' in negotiations to end ...more
Hulananni
Jul 25, 2007 Hulananni rated it really liked it
This is a book about the "American" war and/or the Vietnam War written by a Canadian. Recommended to me by a friend. I borrowed it from a library and now have ordered a copy for my bookshelf. Makes me wonder how blind some politicians can be to the reality of having global peace...and how not to go about achieving the same. Many pages brought gasps of incredulity to my mouth and some provoked outright laughter and disgust.
Catherine
Jul 10, 2015 Catherine rated it really liked it
A comprehensive look back at the environment surrounding the war. How the west got involved and why, and the decisions that caused them to remain there for so long. There are so many players, opinions and agendas it a wonder it ever ended. Seriously, you could change the names and it could be a document about the war on terror. Will we ever learn?
Charles
An interesting account of the entire Vietnam War. This book covers the war from the very beginning when the U.S. had only 5 advisers in the country until the final chopper lifts off. A very well written book.
Titus Hjelm
An interesting, almost contemporary (1981) take on the Vietnam 'conflict'. It begins promisingly by illustrating views from both sides, but then concentrates on the US side for the rest of the book, which seems like a lost opportunity. Popular, but insightful.
Elaine
Jun 10, 2011 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
This is a very valuable book containing information set out clearly on the politics and the war from both sides. I found this book to answer quite a few of my questions on the war in Vietnam.
I really commend the author for the way he presented the information.
Timothy Urban
Jul 31, 2011 Timothy Urban rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nixon and Kissinger play good cop, insane cop and both end up feeling they have no choice but to live up to their stupid threats. Michael Maclear does a fine job of explaining the machismo, the arrogance and the million of bombs that wer dropped on the Vietnamese.
William Sariego
Jul 29, 2016 William Sariego rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
An excellent book and a well balanced account of our (at the time) longest war. Written in 1981, perhaps there is newer scholarship and better sources now, but this remains a very readable account of the conflict.
Esther
Jan 23, 2014 Esther rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A detailed overall picture of the US involvement in Vietnam. One of those books that leads you off into many other avenues.
John
May 06, 2010 John rated it it was amazing
Very interesting, non-judgmental look at the Vietnam War. The only drawback potentially is that it was first published only six years after the war ended, which I question if was too soon.
Troy
May 04, 2012 Troy rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book it sure opened my eyes up.So many facts that know one knew about except those that were there.It was a war that we could have avoided all together.
Robert Morganbesser
Aug 14, 2014 Robert Morganbesser rated it it was amazing
A seminal work. One of the best books written about this terrible, Needless war. Must reading for anyone interested in learning about this terrible time in history.
Sierranonno
Sierranonno rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2016
Bob
Bob rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2012
Dale Wark
Dale Wark rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Mark Rodney
Mark Rodney rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2015
Jay Bryant
Jay Bryant rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2012
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2013
Ibru Sidd
Ibru Sidd rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2016
Tom Bixler
Tom Bixler rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Emma Campbell
Emma Campbell rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2013
Lau Jun
Lau Jun rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2013
Sobia Hussain
Sobia Hussain rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Nabel2
Nabel2 rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Clain Jaques
Clain Jaques rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2011
  • The Vietnam Wars 1945-1990
  • The Phoenix Program: America's Use of Terror in Vietnam
  • Safe For Democracy: The Secret Wars Of The CIA
  • Forgotten Armies: The Fall of British Asia, 1941-1945
  • The Hidden War: A Russian Journalist's Account of the Soviet War in Afghanistan
  • The Age of McCarthyism: A Brief History with Documents
  • Blowback: America's Recruitment of Nazis and Its Destructive Impact on Our Domestic and Foreign Policy
  • Devil's Game: How the United States Helped Unleash Fundamentalist Islam
  • The Price of Power: Kissinger in the Nixon White House
  • America's Kingdom: Mythmaking on the Saudi Oil Frontier
  • Rethinking Camelot: JFK, the Vietnam War and US Political Culture
  • The Pacific War, 1931-1945 : A Critical Perspective on Japan's Role in World War II (The Pantheon Asia Library)
  • Whiteout: The CIA,Drugs and the Press
  • K Blows Top: A Cold War Comic Interlude Starring Nikita Khrushchev, America's Most Unlikely Tourist
  • Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media