Start by marking “Chesapeake 1850” as Want to Read:
Chesapeake 1850

Chesapeake 1850 (Steamboats & Oyster Wars: The News Reader #1)

The life of Ethan Aaron Douglas is chronicled as the ten-year-old joins his grandfather for a life on the Chesapeake Bay. With his grandfather as captain of a steamboat traveling between Norfolk, Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, the boy learns quickly about life on the water. From hurricanes to blue crabs life on the Bay changes quickly. Learning Shakespeare and witnessing ...more
Published July 13th 2012 by Privateer Clause Publishing Co.

To ask other readers questions about Chesapeake 1850, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chesapeake 1850

Vicki
Feb 12, 2016 Vicki rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-history
An enjoyable read about a 10 year old Ethan Aaron Douglas taking to the sea with his grandfather. Learning about the sea and how to help with the cargo. There were many opportunities for his grandfather to teach him life lessons with the events that occur on board the steamship. It was a good read. The book follows Ethan through his own ownership of the ship during and after the war between the states.
A great look at the history of that era.
Patsy
Jun 16, 2015 Patsy rated it really liked it
This is a true story of Ethan Aaron Douglas starting at the age of 10 living on a steamship with his grandfather in the Chesapeake Bay area, transporting goods up and down the bay. Ethan received a very good education about life. This is based on true events of his family also other families in the area. The steamship hauled produce, animals and passengers. As Ethan became older he was assigned more responsibilities that he tackled on a daily bases. One interesting event was to read the news pap ...more
Anthony
Jul 28, 2013 Anthony rated it it was amazing
Shelves: civil-war, history
July 22, 2013
A review by Anthony T. Riggio of Ken Rossignol’s “Chesapeake 1850” (Steamboats & Oyster Wars: The News Reader)

I purchased this book on Kindle and having been somewhat familiar with the Chesapeake Bay and being a charter member of the Chesapeake Bay, Bluefish and Beverage Society, circa 1981 thru 1995, a group of supervisors from FBIHQ who would fish two or three time a year from Maryland on a Charter boat and spend the day fishing and “beering”.

In any event, the title caught my
Thom Swennes
Apr 02, 2015 Thom Swennes rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-e-book
Life upon a steamer in the Chesapeake Bay seems similar to that along the Mississippi. Ten year old Ethan Aaron Douglas adds a new and refreshing perspective to the places and events during the pre Civil War years. I am very familiar with Mark Twain’s Life on the Mississippi and see many similarities. Aboard the Savannah Ethan observes life on both sides of the line that will soon separate into a desperate conflict. Any boy (or girl) would love to spend their summer holidays aboard such a ship a ...more
David
Jan 30, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
Using a young boy working for his grandfather who is captain of a steam ship navigating from Norfolk, Va, Washington, DC through the Chesapeake Bay to Baltimore before, during and after the Civil War is the setting of this great read on everyday life as it was then.
Using the grandson/cabin boy as the vehicle through whose eyes we witness this era, while interspersing actual quotes from contemporary newspapers with factual places and people the reader in both entertained and educated at the same
Gus Philpott
Nov 30, 2013 Gus Philpott rated it it was amazing
As a Midwesterner, I had never thought oysters and oystermen and the whole market for them. This book is an interesting read from the perspective of a young lad who starts working on a boat during the summer and see his work expand to full-time as the country approaches the Civil War.

The story held my attention as the youngster grew and took on more responsibilities. Here's a chance to learn about the region, entrepreneurship and families.
Rhenda
Jun 17, 2015 Rhenda rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. It seemed to me to be written in the style of an old turn of the century kid's book, the kind where you read it and think, "Wow, that was written for kids?" I mean that in a good way. It was intelligent and educational, like a story that was intended to educate. There were a few places where it seemed to draw out a bit long, but it's possible I was getting tired while reading, not bored with the writing so much. Overall, I liked it.
Linda
Jun 20, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
I am so interested in the Chesapeake Bay and the history of it's hard scrabble fishermen. This book gave the history of the steamboats, the Civil War and the oyster wars in the late 1800's through newspaper accounts.
Frank Sloan
Jan 16, 2015 Frank Sloan rated it liked it
An interesting novel-like history

A nice, clean, attention grabber. It was quite easy to become caught up in the storyline. I'm looking forward to additional books in the series.
Karin
Jan 11, 2017 Karin rated it it was amazing
Chesapeake 1850 by Ken Rossignol
I think that parents and teacher need to read this book - Especially the first ten or so chapters that introduce us to Ethan and his Grandpa. Ethan feels that he learned more during the summer months on Grandpa’s ship than he did all year in school back in Georgia. He learned to read and learned history and current events as he read to the passengers – most of whom couldn’t read. I learned a lot about oystering, sailing, relationships, and the Civil War while rea
Dane Robinson
Dane Robinson rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Cindi Knowles
Cindi Knowles rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Dianna
Dianna rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2015
Karyn Schulz
Karyn Schulz rated it it was ok
Oct 08, 2016
Jenny Bennett
Jenny Bennett rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Sharon Westcott
Sharon Westcott rated it it was ok
Jun 21, 2015
kathie Volante
kathie Volante rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2014
Traci
Traci rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2017
Tehila
Tehila rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Joan
Joan rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Gerald R. Taft
Gerald R. Taft rated it it was ok
Aug 07, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it it was ok
Apr 22, 2013
Marjie Ervin
Marjie Ervin rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2017
Marci LeHew
Marci LeHew rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2015
K. Lynn
Jun 24, 2016 K. Lynn rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-ya-lit
Purchased for my daughter. Not a bad book, but not sufficiently interesting to keep her reading.
Vicki Murphy
Vicki Murphy rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2015
John Nolan
John Nolan rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Robert
Robert rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Mrs Bearmaker726
Mrs Bearmaker726 rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2015
Karen L Laughon
Karen L Laughon rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
Writing in true crime, maritime history and cruise thrillers occupies most of Ken Rossignol's time.
As a maritime history speaker, Rossignol enjoys meeting audiences around the world and discussing the original news stories of the sinking of the RMS Titanic and other maritime history topics.
In recent years Rossignol has appeared on more than a dozen ships in the Pacific, Atlantic, Mediterranean an
More about Ken Rossignol...

Steamboats & Oyster Wars: The News Reader (2 books)
  • Chesapeake 1880 (Steamboats & Oyster Wars: The News Reader #2)