Playing The Royal Game (#8 The Santina Crown)

Playing The Royal Game (The Santina Crown #8)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  29 reviews
The Santina-Jackson Royal Fairytale: Fact or Fiction? Falling in love with a prince might be every girl’s dream, but is Allegra Jackson’s royal fairy-tale really all it seems? Allegra’s headline-grabbing family have hardly prepared her for a life of public duty and sinfully delicious Prince Alessandro of Santina has always seemed virtually allergic to the idea of settling...more
Paperback
Published August 3rd 2012 by Mills & Boon (first published January 1st 2012)

Jacqueline
Fairly decent book. A different take on the whole royal thing. A couple of things writing wise held it back for me. The sense of time was vague. I think a lot of time passed in the book but the author did not account for it well. There was a dirth of words like "three weeks later" etc. Also at the end suddenly she was using poetic phrasing like "Gone were the days in which..." "Soft was the hand that..." You either need to write the whole book like that, in which case it really doesn't fit the H...more
Dalia
The last entry to the Santina continuity
This is the story of Allegra & Alessandro. The truth behind the hasty engagement party is now revealed.
Allessandro lives & works in London. He isn't ready yet to return to Santina to embrace his duties as a crown prince & marry his long term convenient fiancée.When he meets Allegra, Alex comes up with a plan : pretend to be in love with an unsuitable woman to have a reason to break up his engagement. Then, when his people reject Allegra, his pa...more
RLA

A couple of the previous books in this continuity series hinted at something that is not as it seems about the engagement between the Allegra and Alex (the event that started it all!) and that really whetted my appetite, I was very much looking forward to reading their story.

But, I also have a nagging feeling that this might be an accidental pregnancy story, there is nothing wrong with that of course but I knew that the series deserved something 'more'. I'm so glad I was wrong, in fact...more
Sara  HarlequinJunkie
Reviewd by: HarlequinJunkie Romance Reviews

Playing the Royal Game by Carol Marinelli was a well-written conclusion to the Santina Crown Series.

In this book we finally get an insight into Allegra Jackson and Alessandro Santina’s hasty engagement and their relationship.

I really liked the way this book started out and way it ended…. The middle parts I felt was lacking a bit of romance and intimacy between the H/h as the story progressed.…At times Alessandro came off a bit cold and disconnected.

Wh...more
Ashley
Full review can also been see at My Two Cents

"Time line? Where is it? This while reading it I kept getting lost to the days, and the activities. Some points started on a certain day, with a few activities, mild conversation but by the end of the conversation time had passed it was supposed to be another day? It was confusing trying to figure it out. I don't see how it can be a Tuesday morning after brunch with the royals when a conversation in the hall starts, and suddenly when the conversatio...more
Rhonda
Playing the Royal Game by Carol Marinelli
4 STARS

Playing the Royal Game is the last book in the The Santina Crown series I believe. It is the first one I have read and now I wish I had read the others. They sound interesting and fun.
Allegra Jackson was having a rotten day. She has been looking for work and after having no luck entered a bar and decided to have a bottle of champagne. She was fired because the boss wanted personal favors from her.
Prince Alessandro Santina runs his own company. He...more
Mariana Bezerra
This is an ongoing series and I haven’t read the other books, but it was quite easy to fall in this Cinderella story and at the end I was cheering for their happy ending. After everything Allegra suffered from her family she deserved some good in her life.

Don’t get me wrong, she wasn’t abused or anything like this, but they treated her like a slave, only working to give them money and for once she was doing something for herself, but apparently it was not enough because she was still unhappy.

Ale...more
Donna McBroom-Theriot
This was such a cute book, and such an easy read. From the moment an unsuspecting young girl agrees to become the pretend fiancé of a real-life-prince, the roller coaster of life takes over and the twists and turns do not stop until the last page.

“She looked at the card and then back to him, to liquid brown eyes and the smile that was, frankly, dangerous. There was a confidence to him, an air of certainty – and she knew in that moment why he was so completely successful.”

Looking back, the book...more
Tinamariesays
Allegra Jackson refuses advances from her boss and she is terminated. She desperately searches for another job, and this leads to a chance meeting with Prince Alessandro Santina. She absentmindedly wanders into a private club to sit and gather her thoughts and is later confronted by a waitress for not signing in. Prince Alessandro, or Alex, as he calls himself, steps in to save her from embarrassment. He is very somber himself because he is being forced to return to Santina to get married and fu...more
Hsiau Wei
Kathie (katmom)
Thank you NetGalley and Harlequin for giving me the opportunity to read PLAYING THE ROYAL GAME.

This is definitely a HARLEQUIN. All of the elements are in place. Alpha male with a bit of sadness in his past (that whipping he was given as a 7 y/o? Yeah, hurt my heart)... A very nice woman with some drama in her life (wow, what a FAMILY!)

A chance meeting where they talk and drink a bit (a LOT) of champagne...and then ENGAGED! But just for pretend...until, of course, it has to be real.

Lots of drama....more
Beckey
Allegra leaves and quits her job mid-shift because she tired of her boss’s innuendos towards her. On her way home she goes into a bar (club) and meets Alex.
Alex is the Prince of Santina, who is affianced to young lady that is friends of his family. Alex’s parents are calling him home to assume his rightful place as heir and commitment to the betrothal. Alex wants no parts in that.
Alex concocts a hasty shame with Allegra to be his fiancé and things take off from there.
The book may be a part of s...more
Alexander Petkovski
After losing her job, Allegra goes to a private bar and meets a mysterious man Alex. She doesn't know that he is royalty. After she finds that he is Prince Allesandro of Santina, they have a serious conversation - considering. Alex makes a rather interesting proposal for Allegra worth of a million pounds. He has to be engaged for a short period of time.
Is Allegra ready to get into this wild adventure?
She better wish the money are worth it.

Allegra is a strong character but she has a vulnerable si...more
Aisha
This is a great finale for this spectacular series!! After seeing Alex and Allegra through all the books-and hating them sometimes, so I started reading the book with a serious aversion of these two-, I'm glad that it was really a good story for them. Sometimes I wanted to hit Alex so hard because he was some kind of jerk with Allegra. And Allegra, whom I hated after the way she talked to Izzy in "Defying the prince", was fighting for her freedom all the time. It was a really good ending for the...more
Stacey Conrad
Oct 10, 2012 Stacey Conrad rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: harlequin romance lovers
Shelves: netgalley
Allegra agrees to a sham engagement to Alex, a Crown Prince, who is expected to marry— duty—not love dictates his actions. Neither of them planned on falling in love. So—it’s a Harlequin—it has all the trappings of what I read when I was younger. Sweet virgin girl falls for a man who shows his second face after he’s trapped her into complying w/his plan to accomplish his goal. He takes the whole book to realize she’s exactly what he really needs. HEA ensues. And yet, for some reason, Allegra dre...more
Mel
Ehhh This book was just ok. I was a fan of the whole regular girl turned princess, but there was too much of a disconnection between the prince and his impending princess. They spent so little time together that their "looooove" was just too unbelieveable. I can't get THAT into fantasy, you know?
So to me, this book just didn't do it for me. It's also part of a series of this disfunctional British family who seem to fall in love and marry into royalty. *yawn* It's cute the first time or two, but...more
Mecque
This is my favorite Harlequin Presents so far. All of the previous Santina Crown stories are mentioned. That brought a bubbly fun to what could have been an unexciting romance. Allegra and Alex are both very reserved protagonists, but their inner monologues were so charming! I'm really weak to stories about Plain Janes who worm their way into their subjects' hearts. This was a solid ending to what has been a pretty great miniseries.
Romantic Reads and Such
a love story about what could be, hampered by expectations and being forced into a specific role - to access the full review, please visit http://romanticreadsandsuch.wordpress...
Tanya Mayes
Great read I thought it was a nice ending to the series and I still wanted more. Alex and Allegra was a great couple. Love at first sight but didn't know it. I love it.
Beth Owens
I really loved this book. I am glad that everyone came to their senses in the end. LOL love HEA.
Judith Wright
A different approach then what I usually read out of HR, but refreshing and enjoyable.
Amber
Okay, this was way better than I thought it was going to be. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Tawnya
Very good book! I loved the way the author tied up the end of the series.
Janice
Last book in the Santina Crown Series. Great series. Enjoyed all the books.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: The Santina Crown
Category: Classic Romance
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: The Santina Crown
Category: Classic Romance
Yvette
It was ok, a little sappy at the end though.
Chris Mead
4.5 stars I loved this book!
Carol Marinelli was born in England to Scottish parents, then emigrated to Australia, where there are loads of Scottish and English people who did exactly the same, so she’s very at home there.

She lives in the outer suburbs of Melbourne—pretty much in her car, driving her three children to their various commitments.

Carol writes for the Harlequin Presents and Medical lines and she also writes conte...more
More about Carol Marinelli...
One Tiny Miracle Emergency: Wife Lost and Found Innocent Secretary...Accidentally Pregnant The Desert King's Housekeeper Bride A Legacy of Secrets (Sicily's Corretti Dynasty, #1)