Start by marking “Chasing Charlie (A Texas Legacy Romantic Comedy-Prequel)” as Want to Read:
Chasing Charlie (A Texas Legacy Romantic Comedy-Prequel)

Chasing Charlie (The Texas Two-Step #1)

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,058 Ratings  ·  131 Reviews
Raised in a family of rodeo champions on a South Texas cattle ranch, Charlie wants only one thing: to avoid thrill-seeking cowboys.

Davis Murphy, cowboy wannabe and one of Dallas's most eligible bachelors, needs a pretty and witty faux fiancée so his widowed mother will marry her longtime gentleman friend.

Charlie, his local librarian, seems the prefect choice.

Charlie's firs
Published July 12th 2012 by MacGowan Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Charlie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Charlie

Kathy ~ Bookworm Nation
3.5

This was a cute, lighthearted romance. Throw in a fake engagement and you've got an entertaining read. Davis knows his mother will never move on with her life if Davis isn't settled himself. So, Davis begs (more like tricks) the local librarian to be his fake fiancé for a night.

Charlie is at a point in her life where she wants to experience new things and push herself. I thought they were cute together and had fun chemistry. I did not get her aversion to cowboys. At all. I kept waiting for s
Tausha
Apr 13, 2015 Tausha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 I really liked this one. Quick, clean, witty, and fun. I had to laugh at Charlie, she was a cute, shy little librarian who blames it all on the little red dress.
Tracy Helps You
Aug 01, 2014 Tracy Helps You rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chasing Charlie is a fun, witty, lighthearted romance ~ perfect for a day at the beach or poolside.
Charlie is a librarian whose life seems to be in a rut. After losing someone in a rodeo accident, she never wants anything to do with a cowboy again. She left her family’s ranch after the death of her parents to live in the big city and has always played it safe. She decides to take a small step toward being less withdrawn and putting herself out there. That first step was buying, and actually dari
Sharon Martin
How far would you go to make sure your parents lived the life they really wanted? That's the deliberation of Davis, a wannabe cowboy who has always dreamt of owning his own ranch but had to put that all on hold since he had to take over his fathers business when he died. Not only that Davis is the handsome bachelor in town who could have his pick of any lady, happy as he is his mother's isn't. Her only dream is to see her son married, she has even turned down moving to Tokyo with the love of her ...more
Danelle
Jul 22, 2014 Danelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Talk about a strange plot to a novel, but let me say ” It works”!! I thoroughly enjoyed reading about this swear-off all cowboy type librarian, who gets tangled up in a escapade with none other than a champion, a champion cowboy that is! And is it all just a ruse to help fulfill a plan for his mother to marry? Maybe- Maybe not? Will Charlie become entangled into true love in which she turned her back on?

There were times where a literally started giggling-which really caught me off guard. I am no
Julie Baswell
Jun 08, 2014 Julie Baswell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charlie Nelson lost her parents when she was eight years old. Being raised on the family ranch by her two older brothers, she left as soon as she was old enough. She took a job as a research librarian which helped her to stay withdrawn and out of the public eye, never taking chances or experiencing life. Her one rule was to never have anything to do with a cowboy. When her roommate gets engaged, Charlie decides it’s time to gradually step out of her shell.

When Davis Murphy’s father died eight ye
Ruth Hill
Aug 07, 2014 Ruth Hill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When it comes to clean romances, I often demand quite a bit from the authors and the stories they write. I expect little to no profanity, no bedroom scenes, and engaging characters with a genuinely intriguing story. Add a bit of humor, and I will be eternally grateful. I am quite happy to report that this book has all that and more! Squeaky clean, full of fantastic romance, and filled with smart humor. To make it even better, the book is such a quick read that the reader can potentially complete ...more
Shira Ohayon
Did not finish at 5%, which is quite shocking to me. It's just that, at some point, I couldn't understand what was written. I don't know, is it meant for only Texans to understand?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Anyway, not rating it, wouldn't be fair to do so, maybe someday I'll give it another go.
Shame.
Donna
Nov 01, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It was a nice quite romance even if it was a common idea in a book. He needed a fake fiancee and they fell for each other. It was the typical cliche but it was well written and I enjoyed it.
Heather
Sep 01, 2015 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western-romance
I liked the preview for this book, but I had a hard time with the execution. There were times that the story lost it's flow. I was left feeling that pieces of the story went missing.

Charlie confused me. She is supposed to be a librarian and someone who doesn't take risks. She needs adventure and to live life. I can appreciate that, but her strong personality didn't seem to jive with that early description of her. She was a lot tougher than that and gave Davis and everyone else some serious sass.
Jo-Anne
Mar 06, 2016 Jo-Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book about a year ago and liked it so much that I read it again.

Oh my goodness! I couldn’t put this one down for a second - both times I read it. After the death of her parents, Charlie was raised by her two older brothers on the family ranch but she left for the city as soon as she was old enough. Her job as a research librarian helped her to stay pretty much invisible. She didn't take chances and wanted a quiet life which her job helped her accomplish. Because of her background on
Crystal Martin
Aug 05, 2014 Crystal Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such A Sweet Romance!

Disclosure: I received this book, Chasing Charlie By Kathy Carmichael, to review through Beck Valley Books Book Tours, all the opinions above are 100% my own.

Chasing Charlie is such a sweet romance! It isn't full of sex and raunchy scenes. Instead, it is a wholesome love story that is created from a very non-traditional proposition. And it's a very quick read. I read it in one sitting so it would be great to take to the Dr.'s office or when you travel!

Charlie is ready to bre
Becca
Aug 01, 2014 Becca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was an adorable and fun read. The author is amazing by getting straight to the point with what the plot is going to be about, and I really appreciated that. I have not been a fan of books that take too long to develop the story and plot in the beginning. The character of Davis Murphy is a businessman that is very successful and is one of the bachelors in Dallas that is most eligible. It’s a funny bit that he is a guy that wants to be a cowboy. He has always wanted to be one and so he g ...more
Amber
Jul 27, 2014 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook
I received this book to review through Beck Valley Books Book Tours, all the opinions above are 100% my own.

I did not want to put this one down! It was very fast and extremely funny and cute!

Bad things always come with little red dresses, or really really good things as Charlie finds out.

I really liked both of the characters. Charlie is very smart and funny but she has one rule. Never to get involved with a cowboy. But she can't help but fall more and more for Davis who wants to be a cowboy.
Julie
Chasing Charlie by Kathy Carmichael is an ePublishing Works release. I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

What is the phrase? Short but sweet? This charming contemporary romance fits into that category. No, there really isn't anything in here that is new or unique per se, it's so darned cute I sat down and read it all in about an hour. Charlie is a librarian living a low key uneventful life and she likes it that way, thank you very much. But, a little dress on the
Michele
Jul 08, 2014 Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun and cute book this is. It would really be perfect for a day at the beach--a quick read too!

When Davis, a confirmed bachelor, realizes that the only reason his Mom is not marrying the love of her life because he would be left alone he knows he has to do something. Not actually get married, heaven forbid, but a fake fiancee might calm his Mom down so she would not worry about him any longer and finally accept her long time friends marriage proposal. Besides he wants to become a cowboy a
My Book Addiction and More MBA
CHASING CHARLIE by Kathy Carmichael is a perfectly light, refreshing read for summer. It's great for an afternoon of reading on the beach or by the pool. I really enjoyed this fun, charming romance about Charlie and Davis. Charlie is a librarian in a Texas town who has fallen into a routine and is bored with the men she dates. She has practically resigned herself to settling into a "librarian" lifestyle. Her roommate advises her to step outside the box and live a little larger. Charlie accepts t ...more
Elizabeth Towns
Jun 30, 2014 Elizabeth Towns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Writing

Kathy Carmichael is a gifted writer. That is the only thing you can say about an author who pulls you into a story line quickly and makes you feel like you know the characters. Her writing is skilled and adept, almost seducing the reader into the romance as much as the main character, Charlie, is seduced into facing her fear and plunging into love.

Is this a classic romance novel? Yes!! In the best ways possible - a couple you can root for and feel that euphoric stirring in your own he
John Kurtze
Jun 13, 2014 John Kurtze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
CHASING CHARLIE (THE TEXAS TWO--STEP SERIES) by Kathy Charmicael is a good romantic comedy based in Southern Texas. The description of the Southern Texas city life versus life on a large cattle ranch. The story is about a young successful business man Davis Murphy. Who has stepped up to take over the family title business "Murphy Title" when his dad dies. He has built the business to the point that he can hire a CEO to run the company so he can pursue his dream of running a ranch raising horses. ...more
Holly
Jul 18, 2014 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very sweet book. I really enjoyed reading it. Charlie is a wonderfully headstrong women who thinks she knows what she wants, but one simple change, well changes everything! Her quite librarian life is suddenly thrown off course as want to be cowboy Davis shows up wanting her to pretend to be his fiancée so his mom will get married. Of course she had no clue that saying yes to a not so simple request would end up changing her life and view.

Davis is just as headstrong as Charlie and eve
Sherry
Jul 03, 2014 Sherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have a couple of hours free and are looking for a light, funny, quick read then look no further. Chasing Charlie by Kathy Carmichael moves quickly in both the pace of the book and the romance department.

Charlie is the librarian looking to spice up her life with a new dress. That dress seems to make men (a man) fall all over himself. Actually, not so much but once she buys the dress Davis walks into her life. It’s a whirlwind from then on. Pretending to be engaged so his mom will move on w
Davidandkelley Crandall
It definitely did not take long to get engrossed in the plot of this charming book. Humorous, unconventional, and kept me in high spirits long after finished. I loved that the characters were not at all complex with rich history that had me excited about learning the whole story. Carmichael effectively created this book with unforgettable characters, a rich setting and numerous subplots that put this novel at a whole new level!

It is rare that I pursue Western reads, however after this story I wa
Charissa
May 13, 2015 Charissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Cute romance with the ‘fake engagement’ scenario. I’ve read a ton of these books and always wonder who in real life would ever stoop to a fake engagement for any reason. But with that said, this story was fun to read and not annoying as most of the other stories in this genre are. Charlotte (Charlie) is a cute librarian who buys a red dress at the beginning of the story to try to step out of her non-risk-taking shell. What happens after she buys that dress will make you laugh. She’s a super cute ...more
Lynn
I can't write a real review because I DNF'd this. I knew it wasn't for me when the "hero" during our first scene with him was talking to a family friend while he picked out 6 identical Valentines presents for his 6 girlfriends. He's a cowboy wannabe, they call him the "Rhinestone Cowboy" and he comes of like a tool. He was buying these "girlfriends" chocolate cowboy hats with popcorn balls in them. He came off as cheesy and I decided that I wasn't interested in a book with him as a hero.

Also, th
Leila
Jul 14, 2014 Leila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick, easy read. I started it late in the afternoon and had it finished before I went to bed the same day. It was a combination of being a shorter read and a good book that I didn’t want to walk away from.

Chasing Charlie was predictable to the past few romance books I have read. A hot hunk, not looking for love who is taken by surprise. What wasn’t predictable was everything else that happens!

Davis is a wannabe cowboy, rancher, rodeo competitor who is currently working in titles. He
Colleen B
Jul 22, 2014 Colleen B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can completely see this book made into a movie. It’s a total romantic comedy. (I’m a huge Sandra Bullock and Reese Witherspoon fan… this book could totally fit into their movie category.) I was amazed that as I was reading I kept thinking “this totally wouldn’t happen in real life” but the more I got into the story the more I absolutely loved it. The family relationships in the book may have been my favorite thing. The way Davis would do anything for his mother’s happiness. The way Charlie int ...more
Sonya Neal
Jul 13, 2014 Sonya Neal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a wonderfully light, quick, and satisfying read. Charlie is a sweet librarian who is stuck in a rut and trying to spice up her life (but only a little). Davis has his heart and mind set on being a cowboy instead of a successful businessman, but first he wants to see his mom happily married to the man of her dreams. But she won't marry until Davis is settled.

When Davis approaches Charlie to be his fake fiancé for one night, the ball starts rolling, and hilarity (and romance) ensues.
Valerie Steimle
Dec 29, 2015 Valerie Steimle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-stories
I just wanted to read something fun that would take me away from reality. I was exhausted from all the Christmas fun and this was a good time to curl up on the couch while it rained outside and read something great. Chasing Charlie was it!! A great romance story with fun twists and turns and clean.
Laura Reading
Dec 07, 2015 Laura Reading rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you combine two very strong personalities, who each think they have a life plan, add in some family dynamics, (aren't they all dysfunctional?) and try to plan a last minute wedding, you can not help but result in a humorous read.
Charlie thinks she needs to take some small risks to liven up her boring life. Her life plan is about predictability without risk. Davis has taken the responsible road and wants to experience adventure and adrenaline while pursuing his dream. All he has left to do
Dee/ bookworm
Charlie is a librarian who has sworn off ranchers and cowboys. Davis is a cowboy who needs a fiancé for a few weeks to get his mother to agree to the life she wants, to move to Tokyo with her boyfriend. She won't go until Davis is taken care of. He, Davis, scemes to get Charlie to be his fiancé until they go, or about two weeks. Will she agree? Will she fall in love?

This was a good read, but not great. They could have used Philip, the boring boyfriend turned possessive when dumped, but they didn
  • Accidental Cowgirl (Whisper Creek, #1)
  • Mail Order Regrets
  • Getting Lucky (Lucky, #3)
  • Cinders' Bride (Mail Order Brides of Texas, #1)
  • Promises to Keep
  • Blind Passion (Wyatt Brothers, #1)
  • The Handfasting
  • Skating on Thin Ice (Game On in Seattle, #1)
  • Her Best Shot (Hot & Nerdy, #1)
  • Cross the Ocean
  • Starting Over (Nugget, #4)
  • Runaway Cowboy (Rodeo #3.5)
  • The Cowgirl Ropes a Billionaire (The Cowboys of Chance Creek, #4)
  • Broken Wings
  • Family Honor (A Cop in the Family, #3)
  • The Seduction of Emily
  • Destiny Wears Spurs
  • The Christmas Cowboy (Rodeo Romance, #1)
Award-winning author, Kathy Carmichael, writes mysteries, women's fiction and romance. Her 2009 release, HOT FLASH, was named by the American Library Association's BOOKLIST as one of the Top 10 Romance Fiction titles for 2009. Her latest release (and her first mystery novel), DIARY OF A CONFESSIONS QUEEN, received a starred review from BOOKLIST.

She lives on Florida's west coast, along with her hus
More about Kathy Carmichael...

The Texas Two-Step (5 books)
  • Country Courtship (The Texas Two-Step, #2)
  • Courting Trouble (The Texas Two-Step, #3)
  • My Southern Bride (the Texas Two-Step Series, #4)
  • Abby's Cowboy (The Texas Two-Step #5; Inheritance #8)

“She started at the sound of a knock on the door. Opening it a crack, the clerk peeked her head in. "Come out here and look at yourself in the full-length mirrors.” 0 likes
“You know dear," assured one woman, "men have to be trained, just like any household pet. It’s up to the woman to lay down the rules from the beginning.” 0 likes