Start by marking “Chasing Charlie (A Texas Legacy Romantic Comedy-Prequel)” as Want to Read:
Chasing Charlie (A Texas Legacy Romantic Comedy-Prequel)

Chasing Charlie (The Texas Two-Step #1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Raised in a family of rodeo champions on a South Texas cattle ranch, Charlie wants only one thing: to avoid thrill-seeking cowboys.

Davis Murphy, cowboy wannabe and one of Dallas's most eligible bachelors, needs a pretty and witty faux fiancée so his widowed mother will marry her longtime gentleman friend.

Charlie, his local librarian, seems the prefect choice.

Charlie's firs
Published July 12th 2012 by MacGowan Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Charlie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Charlie

Danelle
Talk about a strange plot to a novel, but let me say ” It works”!! I thoroughly enjoyed reading about this swear-off all cowboy type librarian, who gets tangled up in a escapade with none other than a champion, a champion cowboy that is! And is it all just a ruse to help fulfill a plan for his mother to marry? Maybe- Maybe not? Will Charlie become entangled into true love in which she turned her back on?

There were times where a literally started giggling-which really caught me off guard. I am no
Crystal Martin
Such A Sweet Romance!

Disclosure: I received this book, Chasing Charlie By Kathy Carmichael, to review through Beck Valley Books Book Tours, all the opinions above are 100% my own.

Chasing Charlie is such a sweet romance! It isn't full of sex and raunchy scenes. Instead, it is a wholesome love story that is created from a very non-traditional proposition. And it's a very quick read. I read it in one sitting so it would be great to take to the Dr.'s office or when you travel!

Charlie is ready to bre
Becca
This book was an adorable and fun read. The author is amazing by getting straight to the point with what the plot is going to be about, and I really appreciated that. I have not been a fan of books that take too long to develop the story and plot in the beginning. The character of Davis Murphy is a businessman that is very successful and is one of the bachelors in Dallas that is most eligible. It’s a funny bit that he is a guy that wants to be a cowboy. He has always wanted to be one and so he g ...more
Tracy Helps You
Chasing Charlie is a fun, witty, lighthearted romance ~ perfect for a day at the beach or poolside.
Charlie is a librarian whose life seems to be in a rut. After losing someone in a rodeo accident, she never wants anything to do with a cowboy again. She left her family’s ranch after the death of her parents to live in the big city and has always played it safe. She decides to take a small step toward being less withdrawn and putting herself out there. That first step was buying, and actually dari
Sharon Martin
How far would you go to make sure your parents lived the life they really wanted? That's the deliberation of Davis, a wannabe cowboy who has always dreamt of owning his own ranch but had to put that all on hold since he had to take over his fathers business when he died. Not only that Davis is the handsome bachelor in town who could have his pick of any lady, happy as he is his mother's isn't. Her only dream is to see her son married, she has even turned down moving to Tokyo with the love of her ...more
Michele
What a fun and cute book this is. It would really be perfect for a day at the beach--a quick read too!

When Davis, a confirmed bachelor, realizes that the only reason his Mom is not marrying the love of her life because he would be left alone he knows he has to do something. Not actually get married, heaven forbid, but a fake fiancee might calm his Mom down so she would not worry about him any longer and finally accept her long time friends marriage proposal. Besides he wants to become a cowboy a
My Book Addiction and More MBA
CHASING CHARLIE by Kathy Carmichael is a perfectly light, refreshing read for summer. It's great for an afternoon of reading on the beach or by the pool. I really enjoyed this fun, charming romance about Charlie and Davis. Charlie is a librarian in a Texas town who has fallen into a routine and is bored with the men she dates. She has practically resigned herself to settling into a "librarian" lifestyle. Her roommate advises her to step outside the box and live a little larger. Charlie accepts t ...more
Elizabeth Towns

The Writing

Kathy Carmichael is a gifted writer. That is the only thing you can say about an author who pulls you into a story line quickly and makes you feel like you know the characters. Her writing is skilled and adept, almost seducing the reader into the romance as much as the main character, Charlie, is seduced into facing her fear and plunging into love.

Is this a classic romance novel? Yes!! In the best ways possible - a couple you can root for and feel that euphoric stirring in your own he
John Kurtze
CHASING CHARLIE (THE TEXAS TWO--STEP SERIES) by Kathy Charmicael is a good romantic comedy based in Southern Texas. The description of the Southern Texas city life versus life on a large cattle ranch. The story is about a young successful business man Davis Murphy. Who has stepped up to take over the family title business "Murphy Title" when his dad dies. He has built the business to the point that he can hire a CEO to run the company so he can pursue his dream of running a ranch raising horses. ...more
Julie Baswell
Charlie Nelson lost her parents when she was eight years old. Being raised on the family ranch by her two older brothers, she left as soon as she was old enough. She took a job as a research librarian which helped her to stay withdrawn and out of the public eye, never taking chances or experiencing life. Her one rule was to never have anything to do with a cowboy. When her roommate gets engaged, Charlie decides it’s time to gradually step out of her shell.

When Davis Murphy’s father died eight ye
Amber
I received this book to review through Beck Valley Books Book Tours, all the opinions above are 100% my own.

I did not want to put this one down! It was very fast and extremely funny and cute!

Bad things always come with little red dresses, or really really good things as Charlie finds out.

I really liked both of the characters. Charlie is very smart and funny but she has one rule. Never to get involved with a cowboy. But she can't help but fall more and more for Davis who wants to be a cowboy.
Julie
Chasing Charlie by Kathy Carmichael is an ePublishing Works release. I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

What is the phrase? Short but sweet? This charming contemporary romance fits into that category. No, there really isn't anything in here that is new or unique per se, it's so darned cute I sat down and read it all in about an hour. Charlie is a librarian living a low key uneventful life and she likes it that way, thank you very much. But, a little dress on the
FicCentral
centralpickshijackedbyysar

ReasonsToRead
If Charlie Nelson knows just one thing, it's that cowboys have no place in her future. But she's stuck in a rut, that too-safe place where spontaneity and risk-taking never venture, and while her life may be comfortable, it's getting boring and lonely. But then she meets Davis Murphy.

A successful businessman ready to leave it all behind in favor of his own ranch, Davis is the last guy Charlie would pick for a date, much less a fake relationship. But Davis's mother is putting off her own happily
Ruth Hill
When it comes to clean romances, I often demand quite a bit from the authors and the stories they write. I expect little to no profanity, no bedroom scenes, and engaging characters with a genuinely intriguing story. Add a bit of humor, and I will be eternally grateful. I am quite happy to report that this book has all that and more! Squeaky clean, full of fantastic romance, and filled with smart humor. To make it even better, the book is such a quick read that the reader can potentially complete ...more
Holly
This was a very sweet book. I really enjoyed reading it. Charlie is a wonderfully headstrong women who thinks she knows what she wants, but one simple change, well changes everything! Her quite librarian life is suddenly thrown off course as want to be cowboy Davis shows up wanting her to pretend to be his fiancée so his mom will get married. Of course she had no clue that saying yes to a not so simple request would end up changing her life and view.

Davis is just as headstrong as Charlie and eve
Sherry
If you have a couple of hours free and are looking for a light, funny, quick read then look no further. Chasing Charlie by Kathy Carmichael moves quickly in both the pace of the book and the romance department.

Charlie is the librarian looking to spice up her life with a new dress. That dress seems to make men (a man) fall all over himself. Actually, not so much but once she buys the dress Davis walks into her life. It’s a whirlwind from then on. Pretending to be engaged so his mom will move on w
Davidandkelley Crandall
It definitely did not take long to get engrossed in the plot of this charming book. Humorous, unconventional, and kept me in high spirits long after finished. I loved that the characters were not at all complex with rich history that had me excited about learning the whole story. Carmichael effectively created this book with unforgettable characters, a rich setting and numerous subplots that put this novel at a whole new level!

It is rare that I pursue Western reads, however after this story I wa
JoAnne
Charlie is a librarian. She is single but is looking for man that is not boring but not a cowboy. Davis wants his mother to be happy. Her boyfriend, Jim, is getting transferred to Japan. Davis tells Jim that he will fake an engagement to make his mother think he won't be alone. Then she will marry Jim and move to Japan with him. He sees Charlie coming out of a store and runs after her. He knows her from the library. He asks her to be his fake fiancee and come to dinner with Jim and his mother. S ...more
Leila
This was a quick, easy read. I started it late in the afternoon and had it finished before I went to bed the same day. It was a combination of being a shorter read and a good book that I didn’t want to walk away from.

Chasing Charlie was predictable to the past few romance books I have read. A hot hunk, not looking for love who is taken by surprise. What wasn’t predictable was everything else that happens!

Davis is a wannabe cowboy, rancher, rodeo competitor who is currently working in titles. He
Colleen B
I can completely see this book made into a movie. It’s a total romantic comedy. (I’m a huge Sandra Bullock and Reese Witherspoon fan… this book could totally fit into their movie category.) I was amazed that as I was reading I kept thinking “this totally wouldn’t happen in real life” but the more I got into the story the more I absolutely loved it. The family relationships in the book may have been my favorite thing. The way Davis would do anything for his mother’s happiness. The way Charlie int ...more
Sonya Neal
This book is a wonderfully light, quick, and satisfying read. Charlie is a sweet librarian who is stuck in a rut and trying to spice up her life (but only a little). Davis has his heart and mind set on being a cowboy instead of a successful businessman, but first he wants to see his mom happily married to the man of her dreams. But she won't marry until Davis is settled.

When Davis approaches Charlie to be his fake fiancé for one night, the ball starts rolling, and hilarity (and romance) ensues.
Adriana
Fun Read!
Chasing Charlie by Kathy Carmicheal has come out just in time to put some fun into my life. I really enjoy comedy, especially the romantic ones. I immediately fell in love with Charlie!

Charlie, the librarian raised by cowboys and daughter of ranchers - but who is not into cowboys – a little stubborn not knowing how her life would change after Davis proposes a scheme that she agrees to. All seemed well until an unusual twist of faith.

It was amusing to read how Davis and Charlie got alo
Jessica
This is the first book that I have read of Kathy Carmichael's and I am absolutely impressed! I started this book on a Wednesday afternoon when I was nursing Rosalie for her afternoon nap and by Wednesday evening, I was done with it! It was fantastic! Right off the bat, I wondered exactly WHY Charlie didn't like cowboys, and I envisioned things absolutely blowing up when she and Davis started their "fake engagement". One thing I wish would have been mentioned just a bit sooner was WHY Charlie did ...more
Laura Frost
Chasing Charlie is adorable! Who hasn't wanted to get their parents off their back just for a few minutes? A pretend fiancée sounds like the perfect plan to me. What could possibly go wrong? Charlie is a character I fell quickly in love with. As a fairly shy librarian (even though I am not currently working in a library) I could easily relate to her.

Funny and sweet, their whirlwind romance draws you in and keeps you entertained throughout. This is a great summer read: light and entertaining, pe
Charlotte Lynn
Davis Murphy finds out that his mom, Ellen, will not marry her longtime friend, Jim, because she feels that will leave Davis alone. That is where Charlie comes in. Davis decides that he need a temporary fiancée, just to prove to his mother that he will not be lonely without her and that she can move on with her life and be happy. Charlie decides to help him with his plan. Little does Davis know that Charlie can tempt him to give up his dreams of being a cowboy and tempt his bachelorhood.

My Revie
Wanderlust
Cover & Title - 4 out of 5
Favorite line - "I realized that, to really live, to experience life, i had to make choices and take some chances. So I'm staking my life on you loving me, too"
Favorite Character - Charlie

"We're almost there, Cinderella. Better put your shoes on."

The story starts with Davis convincing Charlie to be his fake fiance so that he can convince his mother to move on, get married and moved halfway across the world with the love of her life. He begs for just one night of he
Fiona
Davis Murphy is a successful businessman and one of the most eligible bachelors in Dallas. He's also a wannabe cowboy; it's been his dream since he was a little kid. Jim is in love with Davis' mother and wants to marry her but she has said "no" because her son is settled yet. Now, Jim has only 2 weeks before he moves to Tokyo. Davis has a plan. He needs to find a women to be his fake fiance and introduce her to his mother. Then, his mother will be happy. But, none of his girlfriends will do beca ...more
Angela McKinney
I really enjoyed this book. It was cute and kept me wanting to read more. I especially loved the main character Charlie. She was easy to like and easy to relate to. Her romance draws you in and keeps you reading. The book was easy to read and very entertaining. It made a good quick read too. Definitely 5 stars from me!
Karen Dawkins
Whimsical love story, well-written. Great read for summer beach days or lazy, long afternoons on the screen porch. This may be a romance novel, but it's witty and well worth the read.
Beth Carpenter
A cute setup, even if it takes a little suspension of belief. Charlie and Davis are both likable characters, as are their families. A fun and easy read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Award-winning author, Kathy Carmichael, writes mysteries, women's fiction and romance. Her 2009 release, HOT FLASH, was named by the American Library Association's BOOKLIST as one of the Top 10 Romance Fiction titles for 2009. Her latest release (and her first mystery novel), DIARY OF A CONFESSIONS QUEEN, received a starred review from BOOKLIST.

She lives on Florida's west coast, along with her hus
More about Kathy Carmichael...
Kissing Kelli  (Texas Legacy Romantic Comedy, #1) Hot Flash Angel Be Good Diary of a Confessions Queen Your Magic Touch