Start by marking “Jackman” as Want to Read:
Jackman

Jackman (Love is Always Write)

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Mike slowed his pace as he walked by “Jackman” as he liked to call him. The man’s shirt clung to his skin with sweat in the summer heat, highlighting his well-developed muscles. Mike debates buying Jackman a cool soda and chatting him up, but he wasn’t exactly the forward type. The jackhammer stopped and Mike’s heart pounded as Jackman caught him staring. Mike’s breath cau ...more
ebook
Published July 12th 2012 by Smashwords (first published May 19th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Jackman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jackman

Bev

Another one from the Love is Always Write event 2012. Strange story, but it proves that you shouldn't always jump to conclusions. 3 stars
Penumbra
I submitted a prompt for the M/M Romance Love is Always Write and it was picked up by Penny Brandon. The prompt was a picture prompt of a man using a jackhammer. Here was my prompt:

Wendy Ann
I love it when a story throws me a curve ball, and this one threw a huge curve ball in the form of one very big construction guy named Steve. Steve was nearly the opposite of everything you’d expect and seemed like one very human teddy bear – someone to cuddle with! Mike learned to eat a little humble pie when Steve proved all his assumptions about the guy wrong. The proverbial case of “never judge a book by its cover” was the lesson to be relearned in this fun story. Great job – thank you!!
MLE
Found Mike to be a bit of a judgmental snob. What would have been wrong if Steve was just a construction worker? Would that make him any less intelligent?
Monika
I really liked this short! Loved the MC's, loved that it made me laugh, just didn't love that it ended!
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Cute story, that just goes to show that you can't judge a book by its cover.
Melanie~~
Finished Jackman. I thought it was adorable. I keep picturing a smallish man with a giant of a construction worker. The juxtoposition give me such a warm fuzzy feeling. Just like the juxtoposition of Steve's huge size and gentle, affectionate manner.

Even though this is a pretty short story, there is still a little conflict amongst the fluff.

4 stars easily.
Audrey
Cute m/m short story with a love interest who's not what he appears to be.

Note: This is a freebie short story from the Goodreads M/M Romance Group's event "Love is Always Write." The story can be found here on the group's discussion board: "Jackman" by Penny Brandon.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
I found this one pretty dull. It was kind of jumpy and the reader doesn't really see much. Reader doesn't really get to know either character or anything really. It's free and short so that's good.

I read it like two days before posting this and already can't remember the characters or anything about the story :(
Pamela Su
Cute short story. It's a definite quickie story and the pacing is fast. There's not enough time to really get to know the characters but it's a nice, quick way to spend the time reading anyway.
Edina Rose

The story is OTT but either it's too OTT or it's not OTT enough. Exaggeration is not easy to manipulate. I enjoyed it though. It was funny.
Adara
Some assumptions are false. Take care to get to know the inside before you judge by the outside. That's what you'll find in this story. Very sweet. =)
mw138
Very sweet story about two opposites who find love. Steve was a total sweetheart and Mike learned a valuable lesson: don't judge a book by its cover.
Bookbee
A sweet short story that proves "Never judge a book by it's cover." and "First impressions are important, but everyone deserves a second chance."
garnetyuna
Good short story. As the saying goes, "never judge a book from its cover". So, yeah, I liked that Steve wasn't stereotyped. :)

Cecilia Rodriguez
Very sweet story. Steve was such a sweetheart.
Furio
This short erotica is based on a potentially good idea but it is hurried, it features one unlikeable lead and it sports quite the number of stereotypes about gay men.
Not my thing, really.
Katy Beth Mckee
A story of going for it when you feel the attraction. This is a sweet story of what happens when you make assumptions and how it can work out if you give it a go anyway.
GlamLawyer
2.5 stars One of the MCs was nerdy in the beginning but then he develepod into snobbish. At that point the story list me a bit. Still an OK read.
Jamie
The start of this was great, then I was a little annoyed at Steve but it all came together in the end. Short and fun.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This isn't what I expected at all from the cover and description. It's a sweet story, although most of it unbelievable for me. Both characters are much more complex then I thought they would be, and I really liked Mike's thoughts and reactions. I like that not everything about Jackman was perfect, and that he was a bit off sometimes. but it started way too fast, I like a bit of story and tension before the MCs get together, and it ended way too abruptly. I felt like a big section was chopped off ...more
Arlyn
It occurred to me as an afterthought when I finished the book, that I love the title now that I understand it's reference. An odd couple who proves the idiom "You can't judge a book by it's cover". Misleading first impressions and miscommunications almost derail this relationship before it starts....which would have been a real disappointment as it turned out to be just what the two young protagonists needed.
Jess
I liked the characters but I found some of their interaction confusing and the plot a little odd. I loved the beginning but then the strange date nights etc was a bit off putting - I would have preferred something more simple.
Tamela
I liked the characters but I was confused when Mickey kept thinking how confident "Jackman" was, even though he kept making wrong moves, forgetting the time, etc.
Kallie
I enjoyed the characters in this story but as always I wanted more. I don't know why I bother reading short stories, I'm never satisfied with the length.
Paul
short story,

watch out for the jackman when you pass a builing site, this book may have your wondering what this guy is realy like.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Gray's Fallen
  • Safe
  • Close Encounters
  • Stay With Me
  • His True Nature (The Forestry Series, #1)
  • Crocodylus Acutus
  • Disciplinary Action
  • Kiss and Makeup
  • Just Be
  • Time Enough
  • West, Haven
  • Incongruent Angel
  • Call Me Burt
I've been writing for years, but have only recently realised other people are interested in what I write. I'm also a complete romantic who believes everyone can fall in love if only they open their heart to the possibility!
More about Penny Brandon...

Love is Always Write (1 - 10 of 147 books)
  • Into Deep Waters
  • Magick's Cucumber
  • For Those Who Wait
  • Disciplinary Action
  • Soulmates
  • With This Ring
  • Predators
  • Roses in the Devil's Garden (Fallen Rose, #1)
  • Time Enough
  • Dirty Play
Blind Passion Choices (The Looking Glass #1) Wanting Jack Because of You Playing The Field