Start by marking “Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1)

Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful #1)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  390,144 Ratings  ·  23,472 Reviews
The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean,
Published August 14th 2012 by Atria Books (first published May 26th 2011)

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesThoughtless by S.C. StephensFifty Shades Darker by E.L. JamesFifty Shades Freed by E.L. James
Intense And "Angsty" Romance
1st out of 2,102 books — 6,253 voters
Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesTwilight by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
Books You Are Tired Of Hearing About
20th out of 449 books — 958 voters

More lists with this book...

Shelly Crane
Dec 04, 2013 Shelly Crane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what to write about this book. The reviews for the book were SOOO incredibly misleading. I thought Travis was going to hit her, or come close, the way everyone was going on about the 'abuse' in the book. I get it, it was intense. But having seen real abuse with my own eyes, in real life..I didnt understand what everyone else saw that made it be worse and stand apart from all other books.

This is a book about an alpha male. Just because it's not a paranormal book and instead, a contem
Hayley
Lucy
Sophia.
* Warning: If you're easily offended by cursing, and/or aggressivity, then don't FUCKING read this. *

I am literally losing it. This book contains one of the most disturbing scenes I have ever read in any book. EVER.
So here's one excerpt from the book.

Abby slept with Travis and left his apartment in the morning without saying goodbye. This is his reaction, a few hours later :

“Travis is a fucking wreck! He won’t talk to us, he’s trashed the
apartment
, threw the stereo across the room… Shep [room
S.C. Stephens
Apr 15, 2012 S.C. Stephens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow...Travis, Travis, Travis. I liked him, I hated him, I liked him again...I worried about his sanity...then I loved him. And, oddly enough, I had a lot of the same feelings about Abby! So many times I wanted to scream at her, then him, then her again! Great, complex characters. I loved this!! Wonderful story, wonderful world, wonderful author!
Dd
Mar 04, 2014 Dd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Shake in your boots,boys,and drop your panties,ladies!

I give you : Travis 'Mad Dog' Maddox!

"He made his entrance,shirtless,relaxed and unaffected.The lean muscles stretched under his tattooed skin."

Okay ladies,here we go.1,2,3 and....S.W.O.O.N!!

"He oozed sex and rebelliousness with his buzzed,brown hair and tattooed forearms."

Uh-oh boy!!Here go my ovaries!!

Ummm...QUESTION!!

Can I get pregnant from this?

Anyway....

Okay,now the storyline!!

Abby Abernathy has a secret.She has a past.A dark past.An
Emily May

(view spoiler)
Kristen
5 stars with a caveat, and by far my most difficult review to write to date.

I’m honestly baffled by my response to this book because I not only enjoyed the story, but I also gave it high marks. In many ways this book is everything I hate in a Young Adult romance, but I still found myself enthralled, giddy, and starry eyed, regardless of how annoyed I became at time. In fact, I felt like I was at odds with myself during most of it. There was my latent teenage self, all starry eyed and idealistic,
Kat Kennedy
Nope. Can't do it. It's just too horrible. I've reached my max saturation point of stupidity.
Kiki
This book is a nightmare. It's as if Jamie McGuire reached into my brain, found my worst nightmare, wrote it down, and then charged me $13.99 to relive it.

But that's not all. I read this book on an 8-hour flight from London to Toronto. This book and I spent 8 hours together, in coach seating, with nothing to do but surrender to the impossibility of an escape. There was nowhere to run and nowhere to hide, as this book stared up at me, begging to be read.

"Give me a chance," it said. "Just because
Rose
Jamie McGuire's "Beautiful Disaster" is the worst adult contemporary romance novel I've had the displeasure of reading.

I'm imagining I've raised a few eyebrows with beginning this review on that note. You might be thinking "Well, aren't you being a little melodramatic, Rose? It's just a book - it can't possibly be that bad, right?"

*exhales slowly* Let me state for the record I'm a person who likes reading many different kinds of romances because I'm an avid reader and genres know no bounds with
Brittany
Jan 10, 2014 Brittany rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jamie McGuire. Putting the woman's movement back 200 years. D: It saddens me that someone from my own gender is writing such shallow and mindless dribble. I know the economy is bad, but damn have some pride!

If you were able to get through this book without throwing up I have to applaud you. I had to stop reading at page 225 because I was becoming physically ill. It wasn't the subject that sickened me, it was HOW the subject was being written. The characters and their reaction to Travis' obsessi
Jude
May 23, 2013 Jude rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-my-shelf

*My Review on Walking Disaster. No Spoilers.

The book Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire has been all around the Blogosphere lately. It became available on Netgalley and many bloggers are currently reading it. This book has caused many controversy and has earned some really nasty reviews, still, the book has an average rating of 4.13. I recently stumbled upon a review that said very very no-so-nice things about Beautiful Disaster, and it also mentioned that everyone that rated this book wit
Abbi Glines
Jul 30, 2011 Abbi Glines rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favs
I rarely review books unless the author is a friend of mine. However, I thought I'd say something about this one. I put off reading this because I'd read the reviews and the ones that complained about the editing issues worried me. I don't like reading a book for enjoyment and find myself mentally editing it the entire time. OMG, I am so glad I gave in and read it. It's insanely good. Yes, there are errors but honestly I was so wrapped up in the story I didn't care. It is really edgy and I would ...more
Whitney Atkinson
Jan 03, 2016 Whitney Atkinson rated it did not like it
This book isn't beautiful, it's just a complete disaster. Travis is psychotic, abusive, and overprotective. I cannot believe shit like this gets published.
Aestas Book Blog
Mar 28, 2013 Aestas Book Blog rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

“I need to hear you say it. I need to know you’re mine.”
“I’ve been yours since the second we met.”

ooooo *sigh* what can I say about this book except that its reeeeally good, HIGHLY addictive and utterly captivating. You literally feel compelled to keep turning the pages. You just can't stop. No joke!

Abby and Travis meet in college. He's a tough, charming, insanely hot, tattooed badboy who also is a womanizing A student who fights in a ring at night and once he meets Abby, he's just captiva
~ Becs ~
I read this because it tops so many lists here on Goodreads and I wanted to see what the hype is about but it sadly didn't even begin to live up to my expectations. I actually believe this may be the worst book I have ever read.

The characters are poorly developed, the writing style just appalling, I never really understood their motivations and the narrative never gave them time to react to situations. This felt like it had been written by a twelve year old to me.

This takes place over 2 semeste
Kat Stark
Feb 29, 2016 Kat Stark rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-adult, reviewed

For all who loved this book please read no further...

The only way I can express my feelings is through this definition:

word di·ar·rhe·a
wərd dīəˈrēə/ [wurd dahy-uh-ree-uh] *

noun. The Beautiful Disaster

adjective.

1. used to describe the useless drivel of waste pouring out of the ends of a book.

2. feeling sickly from either:
a) bad writing centered on unnatural dialogue
b) infuriating characters (hypocritical-mary-sue-slut-shaming pigeon and insecure-angry-and-controlling-bastard psychofucker
Torie
Jan 11, 2015 Torie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, books-i-own
WARNING: THIS BOOK IS LIKE CRACK

Because you feel like such shit for reading it, but you can't stop yourself from reading it anyway. There were more typos than I could count, the dialogue is just so cheesy it's cringe-worthy, the boy is such a Gary-Sue, BUT...oh my Lord I could NOT stop myself. I was so grossed out by myself for liking it, my boyfriend was grossed out by me liking it, but I couldn't pull myself away!

The Issues
The boy is a character OBVIOUSLY conjured by a woman and a HUGE Ga
Angela
May 25, 2016 Angela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star-reads
I haven't been this pissed off reading a book since Bad Romeo. Beautiful Disaster was a cluster eff of a read managing to throw everything I hate in a book into one novel.

My first issue with this book are the characters. Our leading lady is Abby Abernathy. Then there's our leading man Travis Maddox. I can capture my feels for both of them at the same time. I HATE THEM!!! I CAN'T STAND THEM!!!! Actually that really undersells how I feel towards them but whatever. Abby is DUMB! there's is no other
karen

I know we're fucked up, all right? I'm impulsive, and hot-tempered, and you get under my skin like no one else. You act like you hate me one minute, and then you need me the next. I never get anything right, and i don't deserve you…but i fucking love you, Abby. I love you more than I've loved anyone or anything, ever. When you're around, I don't need booze, or money, or the fighting, or the one-night stands… all I need is you. You're all think about. You're all I dream about. You're all I want.

o
Katya
May 02, 2012 Katya rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have a little dilemma with reviewing indie books. On one hand, I get it why authors might prefer to go down the self-publishing road. With an industry that gives us Halo and Hades, I'd be disheartened too. The thing is, indie writers face a lot of difficulties getting their stuff out there and making a profit, because the general assumption is that self-pubbed books are poorly written, poorly edited things that no agent wanted to take on.

So I was very conflicted about reviewing this book. ED
Colleen Hoover
May 23, 2016 Colleen Hoover rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book right after (shameless plug) I wrote my first book, Slammed.
Speaking of Slammed, who do you think would win in a fist fight between Travis Maddox and poetry teacher, Will Cooper?
Haha.
HAHAHAHA.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Let's look on the bright side. Will Cooper would write a really kick-ass poem about his hospital stay.
kristina
Apr 02, 2013 kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I think this is my favorite book ! I'm still book hangovered .

Where should I begin?
Ummm , yeah ...

Travis
“I belong to my beloved, and my beloved is mine.”

I loved him , many people may consider him as immature but his will for love was unbelievable.
Travis is fighting illegally ,he is hot , he has tattoos and all the girls want to f*ck with him. ( I wonder why?*innocent eyes*)

Abby

She was just an innocent girl who fell for someone that reminded her , her past.She bet with Travis and this gave an
Ceilidh
Jan 11, 2012 Ceilidh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Now that I have officially joined the Kindle army, I felt that it was an appropriate time to start checking out the burgeoning e-book and self-published market. Only a fool would underestimate the growing power and influence of the e-book market in relation to mainstream publishing and I’ve noticed several particular books coming up time and time again amongst both my GoodReads friends and the book blogging scene in general. This book is one of them.

I’d be lying if I said that I ever thought th
Ridley
I can't really be bothered to write my usual style of review. I'm the last person on the planet to read it, so summarizing the plot just seems a waste of time. Instead, I'm going to skip straight to my criticism.

First off, if you don't like first person narration, this is not the book that will change your mind. It uses the device particularly poorly. Our narrator, the heroine, at times has too much insight into the minds of others and at other times has too little knowledge of her own mind. Non
Stacia (the 2010 club)
*Update June 2012 - My thoughts have changed about the book and my rating has been lowered yet another star. I am unable to explain why though, due to reasons which are not allowed to be stated because they are in conflict of GR policy of what is/is not allowed in a review.

*Update December 2011 - original rating dropped. I realized after much thought that the ending really bothered me. I wish (view spoiler)
Wendy Darling
Jun 30, 2011 Wendy Darling marked it as will-never-read  ·  review of another edition
And another one bites the dust.
Kristin (KC)
I definitely had a hard time putting this book down! The characters were very well fleshed out and I was quick to build up a fondness for them. The story was able to maintain its intensity throughout its entirety. I can see why some readers feel as though Travis' character was too violent, and at times, it did get overwhelming — but I feel as long as readers understand that this is a work of fiction and not a guide on how to find violence attractive, there should be no permenant damage. I also f ...more
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Feb 06, 2012 Kagama-the Literaturevixen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Kagama-the Literaturevixen by: a stupid misguided person
Horrible. Didnt finish.

Whats the deal with the cover? I am talking about the woman and her hellish tongue-cover. Is that supposed to be symbolic? She kissed Travis and got infested with his unholy STDS?

I didnt understand what made them find each other likable..there is no hint of it before they state it.

I read back to see if i missed something.Nope,just like that they are BFF-s.

She doesnt want to change him...she accepts him like he is. Even though what he is is a violent sex-addict who uses up
YA Buddy Readers'...: Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful #1) by Jamie McGuire - Restarting May 22nd 2016 105 149 6 hours, 15 min ago
Bargain Basement: $1.99 - Beautiful Disaster 1 8 May 17, 2016 06:53AM
Scrapbook Loving ...: beautiful disaster 1 2 Apr 26, 2016 09:20AM
What are Travis Maddox's real initials? 12 297 Apr 04, 2016 01:14PM
Between Friends B...: Check In After Chapter 11 (Half Way Mark) Thoughts? 8 8 Jan 30, 2016 05:52AM
Travis Maddox's initials? 1 74 Jan 25, 2016 11:11PM
Eastern University..... 35 415 Jan 16, 2016 06:02PM
  • Futures and Frosting (Chocolate Lovers, #2)
  • Seduced in the Dark (The Dark Duet, #2)
  • Sempre (Forever, #1)
  • Mine (Real, #2)
  • Reckless (Thoughtless, #3)
  • Love Unrehearsed (Love, #2)
  • Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2)
  • Taking Chances (Taking Chances, #1)
  • Twisted Perfection (Rosemary Beach, #5; Perfection, #1)
  • Crush (Crash, #3)
  • The Edge of Never (The Edge of Never, #1)
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
  • Rock Me (Ross Siblings, #2)
  • Bully (Fall Away, #1)
  • Fall From Grace (Mad World, #1)
  • The Sweet Gum Tree
  • Avoiding Responsibility (Avoiding, #2)
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
Jamie McGuire was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma. She attended Northern Oklahoma College, the University of Central Oklahoma, and Autry Technology Center where she graduated with a degree in Radiography.

Jamie paved the way for the New Adult genre with the international bestseller Beautiful Disaster. Her follow-up novel, Walking Disaster, debuted at #1 on the New York Times, USA Today, and Wall Street Jou
More about Jamie McGuire...

Beautiful (3 books)
  • Walking Disaster (Beautiful, #2)
  • Something Beautiful (Beautiful, #3)

“To douchebags!" he said, gesturing to Brad. "And to girls that break your heart," he bowed his head to me. His eyes lost focus. "And to the absolute fucking horror of losing your best friend because you were stupid enough to fall in love with her.” 6047 likes
“I knew the second I met you
that there was something about you I needed. Turns out it
wasn’t something about you at all. It was just you.”
3494 likes