Start by marking “Love, Hypothetically (Theta Alpha Gamma, #2)” as Want to Read:
Love, Hypothetically (Theta Alpha Gamma, #2)

Love, Hypothetically (Theta Alpha Gamma #2)

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,187 Ratings  ·  198 Reviews
Paul's been called many things-graduate student, humanities tutor, jock-hater, even broke-but "forgiving" isn't one of them. When the new women's softball coach at Calapooya College specifically requests Paul to tutor his athletes, Paul's forced to put aside his strict "no athletes" policy for the sake of his paycheck. Enter Trevor Gardiner, former Major League Baseball pl ...more
Published August 27th 2012 by Riptide Publishing (first published August 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Love, Hypothetically, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love, Hypothetically

Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderArmed & Dangerous by Abigail RouxStars & Stripes by Abigail RouxChase in Shadow by Amy LaneWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2012
225th out of 617 books — 1,449 voters
Tigers and Devils by Sean KennedyCaught Running by Madeleine UrbanThe Locker Room by Amy LaneStr8te Boys by Evangeline AndersonHeart in Hand by salifiable
Best Gay Athletes
92nd out of 344 books — 619 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*Re-read in audio format*

Original review found here.

**New audiobook rating: 4.5 stars**

I'm a HUGE fan of the Theta Alpha Gamma series by Anne Tenino, and I had nothing but good memories of this book, which I read originally over three years ago.

Love, Hypothetically features one of my FAVORITE tropes in romance EVER, which is the enemies-to-lovers theme, but more specifically, the former-betrayer-to-lover theme. This is a cousin to the former-bully-to-lover trope, which... gah, gets me every t
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**4.5 stars**

I've said it before and I'll say it 1,000 times over, Anne Tenino just writes stuff that I love to read. She writes these little hot, funny, light books that push all of my buttons in the best way. I rate for enjoyment level and I enjoy the HECK out of her books. This one was no exception.

"Love, Hypothetically" was an adorable story about reunited lovers. I disliked Paul from Frat Boy and Toppy, but Anne did a fab job of placing me inside his head here and making me root for him. In
J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie*
3.5-- Dammitall --Stars!!!

Was it just me or was "dammitall" used a bit excessively??

Aside from that, I enjoyed this one. I don't think quite as much as Frat Boy and Toppy. But it was still funny, and sweet and sexy.

Apparently we met Paul, one of the MCs, in Frat Boy...I don't remember him at all.

Paul has a thing against jocks. As in he hates them. All thanks to baseball playing Trevor.

Paul fell in love with Trevor in high school. But Trevor being the jock he was, kept his sexuality in the clos
Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

I was very eager to read this follow up to Frat Boy and Toppy when I saw that the author was carrying on into a series. Not simply because I liked that book so much, because I really did, but also because I was really eager to see how Anne Tenino would redeem Paul. In Frat Boy, Paul was the bastard friend of Sebastian, who was livid that his friend was falling for a brainless jock and frat boy. No matter where their relationship led, every time Paul found him
Heller
Feb 27, 2013 Heller rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, contemporary
I did not like Paul in Frat Boy and Toppy I thought he was an ass and treated Brad horribly so I love when an author can turn a character around and have me rooting for them instead.

I actually ended up feeling quite sorry for Paul. He held onto his anger for too long though. Even if things hadn't worked out with him and Trevor I'd like to think that Paul would have be able to let go of some of his bitterness after Trevor apologized. I hope anyway.

I thought Trevor had a lot of guts to approach
Mandapanda
Aug 27, 2012 Mandapanda rated it liked it
Shelves: various-romance
OK novella about a gay teacher who gives his former jock boyfriend one more chance. I liked this better than Frat Boy and Toppy but I still much prefer this author's other two series, Whitetail Rock and Task Force Iota. This college series seems more formulaic and forgettable, and the characters less appealing. But it's a nice quick read and no doubt many people will enjoy.
Rachel Haimowitz
As hilariously adorable and sweet as you'd expect any Anne Tenino story to be. She gets better and better with each piece she writes. If you're looking for a feel-good, laugh-out-loud contemporary romance you can read on a single sunny afternoon, this is a perfect choice.
.Lili.
Mar 21, 2014 .Lili. rated it it was amazing
I love this book!
 photo tumblr_mfalrbqTqN1rikzhro1_500_large_zps33db813a.gif

Are you in the mood for a great short read? Then look no further! This was an awesome shorty! It had it all. It was sweet, funny, angsty, emotional, and smutty.

This is the story second story in the Theta Alpha Gamma series by Anne Tenino. Although technically it can be read as a standalone, I would recommend reading the first story first just so you can experience what a great writer Anne Tenino is. Paul was such a bitch in the first book- I wasn't sure if I'd like him- ever. W
Monika
Aug 30, 2012 Monika rated it really liked it
Shelves: g-romance
4.5 Stars

OMG! How stupid am I that I didn’t realize this was a sequel to Frat Boy and Toppy when I started reading it. I thought Paul seemed familiar and the feel of the book reminded me of something that I just couldn’t put my finger on until the light bulb finally went off when I hit the halfway mark. *head hits desk*

Did it matter? Not really, but things did click when I realized it. Like the fact I could now remember why it seemed so familiar...Paul... I remember Paul being an ass in Frat Boy
Christina
May 07, 2013 Christina rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m-romance, sports

I never really liked Paul but he was an interesting character. I was hoping for more development in this book, but it fell flat. We were told what happens to Paul when he was in high school but we weren't given enough time to feel his pain. Everything got back to the present day and worked itself out far too quickly. I'm glad I understand him more and it was fun seeing Sebastian, Brad, and Toby again but other than that it I had very little connection to Paul or even Trevor for that matter.

Also
Heather C
Nichole (Dirrty H)
Aug 28, 2012 Nichole (Dirrty H) rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, 2012, college-boys
I was really loving this, and then it just sort of turned on a dime and had it's nice sappy ending and I felt like there was a huge chunk missing from the middle. Not to say that I didn't like the ending, I just had a hard time following the leap. This needed about 20 more pages.
Aleksandr Voinov
Paul's snarky voice is just so entertaining. Anne does character voice so well, but above all, I really really want to know more about Toby.
Aiko
Been waiting for this story since I finished reading Brad and Sebastian's story, seeing that we get introduced to this prickly douchebag, Paul, in that book. And prickly douchebags are one of life's more fascinating things.

The blurb pretty much sums up the way the story goes nice and tidy. The plot line isn't a particularly strong one. Or maybe I should call it predictable instead of weak.
Boy falls in love with jock, jock hurts boy, jock tries to make amends, boy hurts jock, kiss and make up. A
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Paul is a porcupine, very prickly and abrasive, I know he has his reasons but it still took a bit for me to like him.
I did feel for him with what his Highschool boyfriend, and I use that term loosely, did to him, literally outing him and leaving him to suffer the consequences.
Trevor was a jock, with dreams of a pro ball future and he was a teenager, so it was understandable that he didn't react as he must have wished he did, given age and maturity.
He comes back into Paul's life and grovels, I
Saioa
Mar 29, 2016 Saioa rated it really liked it
Ok, I admit it: I love it when they grovel.

description

The more they have to work for it, the better.
I totally disliked Paul in the first book but I loved him on this one. Prickly and abrasive, Paul made me laugh out loud. I felt very sorry for him after what Trevor did when they were in high school, no wonder he was so bitter. Even so, knowing today's Trevor I couldn't hate him, he knew what he had lost and came back to fight for it (and grovel!).

description

Short, funny and sweet, another great addition to the series
Debra
I'm so glad I finally read Paul's story. He was so unlikable as Sebastian's roommate in Frat Boy and Toppy you knew there had to be something there.

When Paul finds his first love Trevor, the man who broke his heart so many years ago, is now a coach at the same college where Paul is, he has to come to terms with the feelings that have festered since high school. While Paul may understand the motives for Trevor's betrayal, it doesn't mean that he can forgive so easily. Paul quickly finds himself
ttg
Aug 29, 2012 ttg rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, reviews
I hadn't read Frat Boy and Toppy, the first book in this series, but this follow-up novella seemed pretty self-contained, and it was. I'm sure you would get more out of it if you've read FBAT, but overall I thought this was a nice enjoyable read, even on its own.

The story focuses on Paul, a graduate student who is reunited with his high school baseball player lover after a nine-year break, a break that was preceded by a betrayal that for Paul, was unforgivable and colored all his future interact
Kelly_Instalove
Grade: B+

Once again, I am forced to abandon my beloved and lazy One-Quote Review format because there were just too many good ones to choose from. One hundred pages, sixty "damn, that's good" highlights - you do the math.

"How does one go about about changing one's life?" he asked. Toby seemed to know a lot of useless crap, maybe he'd know the answer to this question.

It takes a lot of skill to turn a villain into a worthy hero. Yes, Paul was an evil little worm in the first book. But he freely
Amy
Aug 18, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars!! It’s no secret that I adore Anne Tenino! I love her books and the characters she writes. They are always full of personality. And this book was no different. You may remember Paul as Sebastian’s roommate from Frat Boy and Toppy. Paul is kind of judgmental, not a big fan of jocks or frat boys, and prone to “little fits” where he shoots off his mouth without thinking. I loved him and his “hypothetical” conversation with his friend Toby. They were hilarious!!

Anyway, Paul is tutoring for
Ije the Devourer of Books
Aug 29, 2012 Ije the Devourer of Books rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It is what I describe as a 'happy read'. It has some quirky characters, just the right amount of angst, some knotty problems, romance, lurrrrrve, resolution and forgiveness, the right pace and it has a happy ending too and no cliff hangers. One of the things I liked about this story was that Paul wasn't particularly endearing and its good to see the romantic perspective from some one who isn't completely nice and sounds rather grumpy. I was half way through when I reali ...more
MishyJo
Jun 26, 2016 MishyJo rated it liked it
3 stars
Hmmm. I liked the writing better in book 2 than one and maybe even the story. But somehow I feel less satisfied overall. Maybe it ended too soon.
Therese
Meet Paul. Paul is a bit of a grumpy old man on the outside.

description

Honestly, this applies to Paul’s inside as well. Paul is a bit of an asshole. As he says himself:
I’m a prick. A prickly, bitter, volatile prick, destined to splat on the floor of life.

He is quite difficult to like…he is bitter, he is vindictive, he is childish and just like the stereotypical grumpy old man, he seems to dislike the younger, „wilder“ generation…
Like when Paul and Trevor go sailing:
When Paul got pissed off at a speedboa
Marquetta (LoveToReadForFun)
Sep 07, 2012 Marquetta (LoveToReadForFun) rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m
I loved Frat Boy and Toppy and was immediately interested in Sebastian's grumpy roommate, Paul. I wanted to know why he hated jocks so much!

Love Hypothetically is Paul's story. In high school, he had a secret relationship with the star baseball player, Trevor. When Trevor humiliated and outed Paul in order to save his own ass, Paul was devastated. To Paul, athletes are not to be trusted and are only good for hurting people. Ten years later, Trevor is now the coach for the women softball team at
Vanessa theJeepDiva
Sep 05, 2012 Vanessa theJeepDiva rated it really liked it
“I’m a prick. A prickly bitter, volatile prick, destined to splat on the floor of life.” That quote from Paul about himself really sums up exactly who Paul is. He has had his heart broken and it has left him a bitter and sometimes very heartless individual. He has gotten so used to being a cynical ass that he doesn’t let the lack of people in his life get to him. To say Paul has trust issues would be a huge understatement.

In walks the new girls softball team coach Trevor. Trevor just happens to
Barb ~rede-2-read~
I just love a story that makes me feel good. I probably should have re-read Frat Boy and Toppy once I realized this was a sequel but it reads well independently and as soon as I started reading, Sebastian and Brad were easily remembered. In this sequel, Paul, a grad study who may hold the title for most cynical and annoying character I've read, meets his old high school lover, Trevor. Problem is that Trevor denied his love for Paul when they were caught in the showers in the boy's locker room at ...more
Jen
Apr 14, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it
Awwww, I loved this. Maybe even more than Frat Boy and Toppy . It was shorter and less graphically sexy, though just as funny and sweet. And I definitely think the story was deeper.

It was great exploration of what it means to trust and forgive the person you love. I don't blame Paul for his sort of assholey behavior in this book at all. Chances are high that in this same scenario, I would have done and said the same (if not worse). If someone I loved had "sacrificed" me (as Paul puts it) in th
Komal
Jul 29, 2014 Komal rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
3.5 stars. Not quite as funny as Frat Boy and Toppy. Paul was more annoying than he was endearing (think grouchy old man). However, Trevor was a total sweetheart & seeing him make amends was adorable. A sweet and light read, overall.
LenaLena
Aug 29, 2012 LenaLena rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
The conflict in this story is Paul's change of heart. And while I liked Paul as a character, we don't know him well enough to really feel the significance of what is happening to him. He made a few nasty comments in Frat Boy and Toppy, sure, but when we meet him here we get about half a chapter with him before Trevor is tossed back into his life and his world is turned upside down. What I am missing is the knowledge of what Paul's world is before that happens. I need to see him cynical, isolated ...more
Arthur
Aug 28, 2012 Arthur rated it really liked it

The story is very simple. Trev and Paul were lovers in high school. Being a jock with hopes to play in Major League someday, Trev denounced Paul when they were caught in the locker room. Hurt, Paul never trusted any jock in his life. When Trev came to the school where Paul pursued graduate degree, he asked for a second chance. But Paul was not sure he could...

I like that Paul didn't give in right away. Still, the process is a bit too fast. (view spoiler)
  • Fearless (Irresistible Attraction, #3)
  • Gold Digger
  • Second Hand (Tucker Springs, #2)
  • Where You Hurt the Most
  • Country Mouse (Country Mouse, #1)
  • Tailor Made
  • Josh of the Damned Triple Feature #1 (Josh of the Damned, #3)
  • The Walls Have Ears (College Fun and Gays, #3)
  • Foreshock
  • Cruce de Caminos (Layers of the Otherworld, #0.5)
  • Second Time Lucky (A Middleton Romance #2)
  • Never a Hero (Tucker Springs, #5)
  • Power Play: Awakening (Power Play, #2)
  • After the Fall (Tucker Springs, #6)
  • Deep in the Count
  • O Come All Ye Kinky
  • Once a Brat (Kinky Cupid, #1)
  • College Boys (Men of Holsum College, #1)
Catalyzed by her discovery of LGBTQ romance, Anne Tenino left the lucrative fields of art history, non-profit fundraising, and domestic engineering (in that order) to follow her dream of become a starving romance author. For good or ill, her snarky, silly, quasi-British sense of humor came along for the ride.

Anne applies her particular blend of romance, comedy, and gay protagonists to contemporary
More about Anne Tenino...

Theta Alpha Gamma (5 books)
  • Frat Boy and Toppy (Theta Alpha Gamma, #1)
  • Sweet Young Thang (Theta Alpha Gamma, #3)
  • Good Boy (Theta Alpha Gamma, #4)
  • Poster Boy (Theta Alpha Gamma #5)