Start by marking “The Last City (The Demon War Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Last City (The Demon War Chronicles, #1)

The Last City (The Demon War Chronicles #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  26 reviews
An intoxicating blend of noir crime, science fiction and fantasy THE LAST CITY is BLADE RUNNER meets PERDIDO STREET STATION.

Scorpia – the last city of Aquais – where the Ar Antarians rule, the machine-breeds serve and in-between a multitude of races and species eke out an existence somewhere between the ever-blazing city lights and the endless darkness of the underside.

Published August 1st 2012 by Momentum

To ask other readers questions about The Last City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last City

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothThe Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodUglies by Scott Westerfeld
Best Science Fiction With a Female Protagonist
258th out of 780 books — 1,963 voters
The Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Wise Man's Fear by Patrick RothfussThe Final Empire by Brandon SandersonThe Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott LynchThe Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
New Speculative Fiction Stars
308th out of 810 books — 2,202 voters

More lists with this book...

Tudor Ciocarlie
A very good debut novel. The blurb says that "THE LAST CITY is BLADE RUNNER meets PERDIDO STREET STATION." But Nina D'Aleo is not Philip Dick or China Mieville and this is a good thing. She has a very interesting, unique voice that tells wonderful things. The setting is incredible, the characters very good, but what is really impressive is the ability with which the writer is juggling with almost every fantastic creature and fantasy concept from the last 1000 years. And in no moment what D'Aleo ...more
Paul Nelson
The blurb attracted me to this debut novel as I stumbled across it on Amazon.

An intoxicating blend of noir crime, science fiction and fantasy The Last City is Blade Runner meets Perdido Street Station.

Scorpia - the last city of Aquais - where the Ar Antarians rule, the machine-breeds serve and in-between a multitude of races and species eke out an existence somewhere between the ever-blazing city lights and the endless darkness of the underside.

As a spate of murders and abductions grip the city
The Last City is a book of balance. D’Aleo writes an action packed book which is balanced by an incredible world and some tantalizing depth. Her characters are wonderfully weird, balanced by some very humanizing attributes. D’Aleo’s world is absolutely memorable due to how wonderfully unique it is. Her prose are stunning. Basically, for a debut work, this is a book that the author should be amazingly proud of, as it truly sets her apart from the crowd. I can’t wait to see what’s next. D’Aleo is ...more
That was a great debut novel. A mix of genres and a bunch of interestinf characters.
For my taste there have been too many fights.
Full review in progress .. should be available end of September 2012.
Patrick O'Duffy
The standout element of this book is its bizarre, brilliant setting - Scorpia, a 1000-level skyscraper-city populated by humans, aliens, imps, androids and animal-breeds, a city of weird magic and cyberpunkish technology, a city groaning with history and grotesquerie. It's the kind of setting that demands that you not just willingly suspend but completely ignore disbelief; if you can do that, D'Aleo colourfully evokes this decaying, vital, fascinating place in every chapter.

Sadly, the story she
Jason Beech
Nina D'Aleo's The Last City is a mash-up of sci-fi and fantasy, set I'm not sure where and peopled by I'm not sure what. If you're not much into fantasy or sci-fi then you'll have your patience sorely tested... but stick with it.
The population in The Last City is a bunch of differing races whose genetics have mashed with different animals, some illegally. So, you have a gangster with lion characteristics, spectral breeds which can merge into walls, and main characters who can read your heat to c
Holly Kench
The Last City is an intense combination of fantasy and sci-fi with a touch of noir. I have never read anything quite like it.

I will admit that the combination of genres made it initially a little difficult to get my head into the story, but D’Aleo’s incredible world building soon sucked me in. There is an ease to the world building in The Last City which comes as something as a surprise given the genre combination. The fantastical creatures, sci-fi tech, and futuristic landscape are all describe
Maree Kimberley
If you are a fan of fast-paced action and adventure set in some brilliant world-building, then The Last City is the book for you.

I always have great admiration for any writer who can create a convincing, authentic world for their novel, and D'Aleo has done a masterful job of creating the legion of posthuman species and the multi-layered city of Scorpia they inhabit. The unveiling of the world is skilfully woven within the action, avoiding any heavy-handed slabs of backstory.

There is also a goo
Sean the Bookonaut
The Last City by Nina D’Aleo is one of the growing number of novels that have been picked up by the PanMacmillan digital offshoot Momentum. It's available in both digital and print on demand format as per Momentums business model.

The Last City was characterised as Perdido Street Station meets Blade Runner. I haven't read the Miéville title but going on online summaries I can see the comparison. With D’Aleo’s Scorpia we have an ancient city, that is falling down in as much as it is being built up
I don't know if I have enough superlatives to describe this book. It's billed as Bladerunner meets Perdido Street Station, but it's far closer to Mieville than Dick (assuming that by "Bladerunner" they mean "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.) The calling card of Last City is the alpine levels of creativity, but there are too many things gone right.

The prose is always very good and sometimes even quite excellent. The intriguing plot is convincing without ever seeming contrived. But like with M
Henry Lazarus
Nina D'Aleo has a strange, but ancient world that has both magic and technology; Androids, human breeds with wings, and demons in Scorpia , The Last City(trade from Momentum)of Aquais . The Oscuri Trackers investigate strange murders, and they have several in which the corpses came from something explosive within them. Led by Copernicus Kane, a harsh man demanding perfection because of his horrible father, they don’t realize they are faced with a rise of immortal demons. The rest of the team inc ...more
Jason Franks
The Last City is an excellent SF-Fantasy adventure novel that runs roughshod over genre boundaries but never fails to deliver on its characters.

Nina D'Aleo drops you right into the action and lets you work out what's happening for yourself. There are no sodden exposition dumps, no languid and verbose descriptions of the scenery or the settings. We discover the world of the Last City by living in it.

D'Aleo's characters are equally well thought-out delivered. They're unique, cool, flawed and int
Sachin Dev
Nina has done what a lot of new authors would be dreaming of. Rewrite the rules of the genre with a mash-up that pushes the boundaries and refuses to be straight-jacketed into a certain “type” of fantasy writing. It’s a bold vision – unabashed and unapologetic in its originality and imagination, deftly executed in a lyrical prose that brings alive the last city of Scorpia with world building of tantalizing depths that leaves you gasping for more.

Weird in the good sense (‘Mievelle-esque’ sense) w
I got a copy of this to read through NetGalley. First off, I'm a sucker for a great cover and this one really caught my attention.

This book is an interesting mix of fantasy characters in a sci-fi world. My one complaint is that I would have loved cheat sheet listing of the various character species/types. It took me a bit of time to get into the story but I think that was mainly because I was trying to remember the specifics about all the characters introduced.

The author built a stunning world
This is really a C+ grade

I liked this story a lot. The author has made an original, decadent world with an interesting mix of races that are not the usual suspects. It begins as a police procedural and then moves into end of the city, everything at risk mode. It also reads as if the author has these amazing intentions and ideas and begins to lose a bit of control over the story as everything is connected/wrapped up. I am looking forward to the next book with pleasure.
While this was a riveting and imaginative sci-fi read, it felt too simple. There were too many grandiose ideas (some of which may be resolved in sequels) and it felt cramped. Compared to China Mieville it's extremely plain, with too much reliance on easy character verbs. The pace was good, the plot solid, if somewhat expected. Despite a good attempt at world building I never really got a solid picture in my mind, possibly because of having too much going on.
Amanda Bridgeman
I loved this book. It's the first one I've read in a while that actually made me want to get back to it. It's filled with great characters of all shapes and sizes (and flaws), has an intricately woven plot that keeps you turning the pages, and is set against a rich tapestry of world-building that stretches the imagination. I look forward to the follow-up book that's in the works!
Dec 28, 2012 Liviu marked it as started_finish_later
saw some reviews that interested me; the sample was ok'ish and there is some resemblance to the M. Sagara Cast series which i started but never got far into but as I was in a buy books mood and the book was only 3$ on Amazon Kindle, I thought it worth

second try as i really want to like this book and I keep getting bogged down in its style
Amy Clark
I think that Nina D'Aleo created a amazing new world. This book grabbed my attention from the begining and I couldn't put it down. This book has the perfect mix of scifi/fantasy/mystery with a touch of romance. I can't wait for the next book hopefully it comes out soon. I would definitely recommend this book.
Really great example of a large cast, intense sci-fi hybrid thriller. If you want my full impressions, check out my podcast review of this book at my website. I'm looking forward to more from D'Aleo!
Di Turner
I really enjoyed this book - it was a mix of science fiction and fantasy, with all sorts of different races in the book - bots, humans, witches, imps, and so forth. Kept me interested all the way through looking forward to reading the next instalment.
David Leger
Interesting mix of sci-fi and fantasy, science & magic. The book tends to be somewhat incoherent early on, but everything comes together and the suspense holds you.
Loved this, but can see it being a "you either love it or you hate it" title for people. :)
Elspeth LaMorte
So... this book was kind of amazing.
Doreen Dalesandro
Nov 22, 2012 Doreen Dalesandro marked it as to-read
Shelves: sci-fi, owned-kindle
Kindle freebie, 11/22/12
Rolando marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Mordax added it
Aug 18, 2015
Malfestro marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Land of Hope and Glory (Land of Hope and Glory, #1)
  • Driving Me Nuts!
  • Touched by the Light
  • The Transformed
  • Faith
  • Snoops in the City
  • A Second Chance at Forever
  • Brimstone (Earth, Air, Fire and Water , #1)
  • Long Eyes and Other Stories
  • Haunted Spouse
  • Deadly Affair: A Georgian Historical Mystery (Alec Halsey Mystery, #2)
  • In the Mouth of the Whale (The Quiet War, #3)
  • The Ultimate Inferior Beings
  • Immersion
  • Aurora: Darwin (Aurora, #1)
  • Dancing With Eternity
  • How To Be A Goddess
  • And Blue Skies From Pain (The Fey and the Fallen, #2)

The Demon War Chronicles (2 books)
  • The Forgotten City (The Demon War Chronicles, #2)
The White List The Forgotten City (The Demon War Chronicles, #2) The Forgotten City: The Demon War Chronicles 2