Start by marking “The Coming China Wars: Where They Will Be Fought and How They Can Be Won” as Want to Read:
The Coming China Wars: Where They Will Be Fought and How They Can Be Won

The Coming China Wars: Where They Will Be Fought and How They Can Be Won

China's breakneck industrialization is placing it on a collision course with the entire world. Tomorrow's China Wars will be fought over everything from decent jobs, livable wages, and leading-edge technologies to strategic resources such as oil, copper, and steel...even food, water, and air. In The Coming China Wars, best-selling author Peter Navarro previews all these po ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by FT Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Coming China Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coming China Wars

Dec 06, 2012 David rated it did not like it
this book was a waste of time read about putting (now) China as the prime enemy for USA...USA consumption was high, so no companies want to build products in USA because it is expensive and no one wants to get low naturally, companies move to China to build at low cost..revenue goes to the pockets of CEO, Executives, PE firm, Wall Street...then China became the world factory for US appetite for massive consumption..then China is the enemy??because their economy is risen?? as a OEM facto ...more
erjan avid reader
Oct 12, 2014 erjan avid reader rated it really liked it
This book is certainly written from the pro-american perspective: china is catching up, we(americans) must do something about it. China pursues same goals and uses same methods US has been doing in the past: putting developing countries in the credit debt pit and asking for resources in the end to payback. The author does not notice this obvious thing!

The prof talks about chinese manufacturing that poisons not just the american trades but all other smaller weaker economies. The 'china price' des
Jul 15, 2008 Tripp rated it liked it
Peter Navarro is worried about China and if you read his book, you are at the very least, you may well get concerned as well. The Coming China Wars details problems with Chinese production, quality control, human rights and environmental protection. He also points to Chinese foreign policy as an indicator that China is moving into peer competitor territory. Let's look at each in turn.

Navarro wants US consumers to limit buying Chinese goods, because it is not good for the American economy and bec
Francis Schortgen
Jul 04, 2008 Francis Schortgen rated it did not like it
“[China] requires our understanding and engagement - not our enmity and suspicion, which could culminate in self-defeatingly creating the very crisis we fear.”

A line from the book? Hardly! Nevertheless, The Coming China Wars relates in an unmistakable to this quote, for it exemplifies in starkest terms the very enmity and suspicion that Will Hutton (2006) cautions against in “The Writing on the Wall: Why We Must Embrace China as a Partner or Face Her as an Enemy.” If the choice of title for the
Leader Summaries
Desde Leader Summaries recomendamos la lectura del libro China: conflicto a la vista, de Peter Navarro.
Las personas interesadas en las siguientes temáticas lo encontrarán práctico y útil: innovación, globalización.
En el siguiente enlace tienes el resumen del libro China: conflicto a la vista, La cara oculta del gigante asiático: China: conflicto a la vista
Mark Nichols
An interesting book, not really enough detail and let down by some generalities. That said, an important introduction to China's context. Worth reading after some Chomsky, lest the reader be tempted to point fingers...
Nov 22, 2008 Kathleen rated it liked it
An eye opening book to understanding the global ramifications of all of our actions. I also feel that if one reads it with an open mind, you will see how cyclical our world economy is...looks the same thing discussed in this book is about to happen in Vietnam. Basically if we are getting something cheap, it is usually balanced by an expense to someone else in the world. We read it for book club. My one complaint would be it was very doomsday with no answer son how to solve the problems. However, ...more
Apr 22, 2009 Jeanne added it
This book was a real eye-opener for me. How can we keep buying products from China when they abuse their people so badly? The money they get from us is used to buy nuclear weapons that they can use against us, and all the oil and minerals they can get their hands on regardless of the price. (Murder,Executions, torture are all part of their plan.)
I wonder if they will use their nuclear weapons first, or succumb to their own poisons and pollutions. It was hard for me to believe just how sinister
Rayn Roberts
Sep 02, 2014 Rayn Roberts rated it really liked it
Excellent information, but his editors need a course in English Grammar 101. Other than that, it's a good read.
TW Yeung
Feb 29, 2016 TW Yeung rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let's see to a real transformation of this so-called country of mine, currently besieged by the Communist Party. Every decision matters.
Mar 12, 2016 Elaine rated it really liked it
Shelves: america
pretty scary and few are paying attention.
Tom Schulte
Jul 02, 2011 Tom Schulte rated it liked it
The author really lets his imagination roam free on the possible flashpoints between the world's only superpower and the nation that wants to be the next one. I came to this book as one who thinks the paths of history and national desire will bring the U.S. to loggerheads, be it military or not. However, even with my prior notions and reading, this book highlighted several interesting irritants that I had not known of. These include, China vs. Vietnam over the damming of the Mekong, the looming ...more
Sep 25, 2009 Anna rated it it was amazing
Excellent. There is a lot to be concerned about with China. I agree with Mark Steyn that the weaknesses of our enemies are the greatest threat to us. China has a lot of internal problems. The book is also recommended by a CFR member. Highly ironic since those folks are busy doing all they can to break the might of America and to usher in the "New World Order". China is a huge threat. Hope people are paying attention when China is making moves to get the world to dump the dollar as the reserve cu ...more
Nov 11, 2008 Anne rated it it was ok
After reading this book, I've found myself checking obsessively for the origin of products I buy, so the book accomplished it's task, but it wasn't a pleasant read. I know it's written to appeal to the same type of audience as Friedman's The World is Flat, but I found myself getting anxious each time I picked it up from the breathless tone of impending doom (accentuated by way to many commas). The use of quotes got tiresome, as well as the clever headlines. (Weapons of Mass Construction.

Bravo on
Nick Woodall
Great book! Really clear and concise with great information and ultimate conclusions that will knock your socks off! If you are a china-watcher this book is for you.
Xujun Eberlein
Aug 14, 2008 Xujun Eberlein rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Xujun by: a publicist
The Coming China Wars by Peter Navarro is probably one of the most advertised China-related books this year. For weeks it nailed the small Adsense box on my Inside-out China blog (apparently Google did a good job of matchmaking), and I got so tired of seeing it all day everyday that I deleted Adsense. The book thus made my blog ad-free.

The question is whether it is worth the advertising money or a reader's time. Continue reading here:
Mar 14, 2014 Dany rated it did not like it
Apr 13, 2009 Jim rated it really liked it
China is likely to be a much bigger problem than we want to believe. You thought we were consuming the earth's resources? The Chinese want what we have and more! And who can blame them when we have set the standard for consumerism. Don't expect them to settle for second best. But it is a recipe for disaster. A good corollary to Thomas Friedman's books: The World is Flat, and "Hot, Crowded and Flat".
Aug 06, 2008 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Everyone should read this book. And then boycott all products "made in China" until that country demonstrates some global responsibility, humanity, ethics and morals. It will amaze you to find out what the world has let China get away with - much of it funded by us purchasing their knock-offs and cheap goods.
Sep 29, 2008 Di rated it really liked it
Eye opening book about how China is impacting the whole world; and potentially changing more than just ecomonic conditions. You get what you pay for, and we are all about to pay a price much higher than the Made in China label would suggest.
I would highly recommend this read.
Jan 02, 2014 Konami rated it it was ok
Although the Author makes some very valid points, the overall tone is xenophobic and alarmist.
Feb 11, 2012 Bill rated it really liked it
When I read this book many of the trade anecdotes of flawed and contaminated Chinese manufactured products had not hit the press. Since, I often wonder about the dangers in the products that make it to our shelves.
Apr 18, 2013 Ruth rated it liked it
I thought this was a good read for me to better understand some of the economics and business strategies and politics around China and US trade. It could have been written better though!
Jan 30, 2013 Lindz rated it it was amazing
Although the author seems bias, I would recommend this book as it enlightens one on a wide range of important issues that are taking place not only in China, but around the world.
Kris Wijoyo
Nov 02, 2007 Kris Wijoyo rated it liked it
Recommends it for: yang mau belajar cina
woi2 buku ini menurut gw rada berlebihan dalam menilai kejelekan cina, seolah2 US paling bener...tapi gw rada bingung kenapa bokap muji2 nih buku,,,,
Oct 02, 2007 Chris added it
Great data, but his anti-China is too overt.
David Dayton
Feb 05, 2009 David Dayton rated it did not like it
Shelves: dont-read, china
This book is horrible!!
Jan 06, 2012 Genemar added it
Shelves: non-fiction
Audible (Unabridged)
Jessie Bartholomew
Jessie Bartholomew marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2016
Angela marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2016
  • The High Middle Ages
  • Defending The Guilty: Truth And Lies In The Criminal Courtroom
  • London: A Short History of the Greatest City in the Western World
  • The Anglo-Saxon World (The Modern Scholar)
  • The Middle Heart
  • From Time Immemorial: The Origins of the Arab-Jewish Conflict Over Palestine
  • The American Way of War: Guided Missiles, Misguided Men, and a Republic in Peril
  • Tiger Head, Snake Tails: China today, how it got there and why it has to change
  • Snakehead (China Thrillers, #4)
  • Hunting Season
  • Last Night Another Soldier
  • China's Silent Army: The Pioneers, Traders, Fixers and Workers Who Are Remaking the World in Beijing's Image
  • Captive: My Time as a Prisoner of the Taliban
  • African History: A Very Short Introduction
  • Far Eastern Tales
  • China Goes Global: The Partial Power
  • So Damn Much Money: The Triumph of Lobbying and the Corrosion of American Government
  • Inside the CIA
A Professor of Economics and Public Policy at the Paul Merage School of Business, University of California, Irvine and holds a Ph.D. in Economics from Harvard University. He received several teaching awards in 2010 for the MBA programs that he teaches.

Navarro ran for office in San Diego, California, three times. In 1992, he ran for mayor, winning the primary race, but losing to Susan Golding in th
More about Peter Navarro...