Start by marking “A Red-Rose Chain (October Daye, #9)” as Want to Read:
A Red-Rose Chain (October Daye, #9)

A Red-Rose Chain (October Daye #9)

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  4,528 Ratings  ·  468 Reviews
Things are looking up.

For the first time in what feels like years, October “Toby” Daye has been able to pause long enough to take a breath and look at her life—and she likes what she sees. She has friends. She has allies. She has a squire to train and a King of Cats to love, and maybe, just maybe, she can let her guard down for a change.

Or not. When Queen Windermere’s sene
Published July 7th 2016 by Corsair (first published September 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about A Red-Rose Chain, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Reesa Graham
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sophie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Choko
May 09, 2016 Choko rated it really liked it
*** 4.44 ***

A buddy read with the Fae inhabitants of BB&B!!!

Another wonderful installment in the October Daye series and the only thing that brings clouds on my sunny day is the realization that this was the last of the already published books.... What are we going to do while waiting for SM to create and publish the rest of the books??? We will miss our Fae and changeling friends terribly!!!

So, this was book 9 and by this point the fans of the series, which I consider myself to be a part
Robin (Bridge Four)
Read with my UF girls at Buddies Books and Baubles

4.5 Blood Tells Stars

It seems like so long ago that I started book 1 in this series and thought.

Oh my gosh there are NINE books to go though in this series.

Well here I am at book nine and now my thoughts are more like

What???…there are ONLY nine books in this series and I’m at the last one

I’ve come to really love October Daye and crew in this series. I can’t believe I’m at the end of the published books and now I have to wait like everyone else f
Brad
May 03, 2016 Brad rated it it was amazing
The series is still good and and still going strong!

The Knight Hero of the realm is about to go on a quest she's absolutely and perfectly suited for. Can you guess what it is? Did you guess that it was diplomacy and the prevention of war among the Fae? No? Um, yeah, I guess I kinda lied just now, didn't I? Sorry.

Still, what could go wrong? I mean, it's not like she has any issues with how changelings are treated among the full blooded Fae, right? There couldn't ever be any problems cropping up
Susana
Re-read September 5th 2016
******
Well, it appears that hell has frozen over, because the only reason I'm not giving this book two stars is due to the fact that it's been my favourite series for the last couple of years!

I'm sorry, but as much as it pains me to say it, this was fucking boring!
And repetitive! Over and over the same things. The same stories. The same patterns. Retold ad infinitum through out the entire book. WTH?
I've just only recently read "A Winter Long". Yes, that's right: I manag
Kira
Sep 07, 2016 Kira rated it really liked it
Sept. 1, 2015: 4.5 stars
Sept. 5, 2016: 4 stars

Update (Sept. 2016):
This book is my second least favorite book in the series. It's a really good book, but it didn't have the action the other ones did. I didn't notice it until rereading it, but the amount of recapping was insane. I understand why some recapping is necessary, but it was too much.

Original review (Sept. 2015):
I wasn’t sure what to expect going into this knowing that it took place in a different setting, but it did not disappoint. Toby
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*My Thoughts*

A Red-Rose Chain is the 9th installment in author Seanan McGuire's October Daye series. The story picks up (3) months after the end of The Winter Long. One could say that this is the third book in Toby's new story arc that started with Chimes at Midnight with Toby, May, Jazz, Quentin, and Tybalt taking down the Queen of the Mists, and installing her with the person who should have held the title after her father was murdered; Arden
Harald Koch
Oct 05, 2015 Harald Koch marked it as paper-copies  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-a-copy, paper
It amuses me that a book that hasn't been *written* yet has a 4.75 rating.
Veronica
I won this ARC through Goodreads' First Read giveaway and it was another excellent adventure with Toby and her family-by-choice. This book had a less frenetic pace than the last two books which is fine by me since I thought Toby and her crew lacked some breathing room in those. That's not to say that this book was dull or lacking in any way. Seanan McGuire continues to add layers to this fae world of her creation and the stakes are no less dire for Toby or, well, anyone. But Toby is facing a ...more
Pippa DaCosta
Sep 14, 2015 Pippa DaCosta rated it it was ok
2 stars - Goodreads rating: 'It was okay' and it was. I adore this series, especially the last couple of books. But this one just left me feeling completely flat.

Deposed Queen of the Mists is back, trying to kill Toby (who isn’t?) but this time she has a sidekick in the King of Silences, who uses changeling servants and generally treats anyone not pedigree fae as trash. Toby gets involved—by way of an ambassador role—along with Tybalt, May and Walther.

And yeah, that's kind of it. I kept waiting
Joanita
May 26, 2016 Joanita rated it really liked it

04/05/2016 Yay, it's our weekly TnT buddy read over at BB&B with my fellow October Daye addicts.

“Preventing a war is always the right thing to do,” he said gravely. “War is not a game, for all that some would play it as they would a round of whist. War is a tragedy in motion. Everyone is innocent, and everyone is guilty, and the crows come for their bodies all the same. The only ones who benefit in war are the night-haunts, and even they would rather their feasts came in smaller portion.”
Maria Dimitrova
Weekly buddy read with the Toby Daye fanatics at BB&B

What are we going to do now that we've read all the books that are out? How do you go from one book per week to one per year? I don't think I can handle the withdrawal! I barely handled it when I had to stay away from the next book for a couple of days! *inconsolable sobbing*

And just when we all thought that we're finished with Miss Crazy Bitch #2 aka the former Queen of the Mists she's back and making life miserable for all the denizen
All Things Urban Fantasy
If THE WINTER LONG was a cataclysmic event completing so many of the series' arcs, A RED-ROSE CHAIN is a triumphant rise from the ashes. Toby and her friends are thrown into unfamiliar waters with the highest of stakes, and the narrative sparkles along as they alternately quip and kick ass through this mystery. A return of everything fantastic about this series, A RED-ROSE CHAIN proves that with good and the bad revelations in her rearview mirror, Toby's adventures march triumphantly onward.

True
Julia
Aug 30, 2015 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, urban, arcs
If THE WINTER LONG was a cataclysmic event completing so many of the series' arcs, A RED-ROSE CHAIN is a triumphant rise from the ashes. Toby and her friends are thrown into unfamiliar waters with the highest of stakes, and the narrative sparkles along as they investigate, quip, and kick ass. A return of everything fantastic about this series, A RED-ROSE CHAIN proves that with good and the bad revelations in her rearview mirror, Toby's adventures march triumphantly onward.

True to her growth ove
Beth
Sep 23, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, own
This series is an automatic pre-order for me. I might not get to it right away but as long as I know I have it I'm good.

Toby and crew once again must save the day, but this time she is going in with an ambassador's role. Her new role leaves less battling, but don't worry its Toby...there is always blood shed.

I love the cohesiveness that has been found in Toby's crew. The character development has been marvelous throughout.

Looking forward to seeing where this will head next, of course I'll have i
Pia
Sep 28, 2015 Pia rated it it was ok
Finished!!!!!
About time too. It took me almost a month of plodding through this. If not for my stubbornness I probably wouldn't have finished it (believe me, it cost me).

In hindsight, I might as well have skipped this installment.
For one thing, IMO there wasn't enough story there for a novella, let alone a whole book, and this story felt almost as a stand alone, adding nothing to overarching storyline. Ugh.

For another, it was boooooring. A lot of repetitions of stuff we already knew from earlie
Melindeeloo
I am fond of these books in audio -they revived my interest in the Series- and it was definitely worth waiting the extra week.

I enjoyed Red Rose Chain. This far into the Series, I am pretty attached to Toby and the cast- so, I could pretty much be happy with everyone doing mundane things as long as the gang's all here. But the plot is doesn't leave much time for the ordinary. When Silences declares war on the Mists, Toby and crew have to play diplomats, and there is no way to forget they are i
Ivy
An awesome installment in the October Daye series.

Review to come later this year.

05/03/16

Apparently I forgot to write the review for this book. Well, now here it is.

5 stars

An awesome installment in the October Daye series. Glad Walther found the cure for elf-shot and we finally found where he was/is from. Interesting to see the false Queen of the Mists again. Also sad to find out who betrayed the Kingdom of Silences. Can't wait for Toby and Tybalt's wedding!!!!

Can't wait to read Once Broken Fai
Katie Michaels
Aug 28, 2016 Katie Michaels rated it really liked it
I have to give credit to Seanan McGuire. It's a pretty great feat to keep a series entertaining and engaging after nine books; and that is just what she has done here with this latest installment in the October Daye series. She crafts new stories and circumstances for her characters that feel fresh, while she still draws on their rich history and past connections to make them relevant. She is consistent without ever being boring. But perhaps most importantly, she continues to infuse these ...more
Suz
Sep 07, 2015 Suz rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Poor Toby, she always gets put through the ringer.

Wonderful story, as always. I love seeing the way October is still growing, and how her relationship with Tybalt pushes them both to grow.

I ADORE watching Tybalt be in love with Toby. It's nice that she loves him back, but Tybalt is totes sigh-stuff.
Indiana
Sep 24, 2015 Indiana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ebook, urban, fairy, 2015
A disappointing entry in this series which has been very up and down for me. They say happiness makes for dull reading and I suspect that is a bit of what this book suffers from. October Daye is pretty happy in her life with a great fiancée and a solid group of good nice friends and while such things are great and desirable to experience in real life, they aren't so exciting to read about. So the action has to come from the outside and sadly this round of adventures for the Scooby game was just ...more
Lindsay
Sep 10, 2015 Lindsay rated it really liked it
This series continues to be excellent and this is a typical entry in it.

The Kingdom of the Mists where Toby lives has war declared on it by the nearby Kingdom of Silences. (The faerie world versions of San Francisco and Portland respectively.) Queen Arden of the Mists sends Toby to Silences as an ambassador to attempt to head off a war. This is roughly like attempting to put out a fire with petrol, particularly considering the King of Silences was appointed by the previous Queen of Mists that T
Cathy
I hoped for a bit more Spike once he was included in the road trip, but that wasn't a significant issue. The Powell's mention was cute. Mostly it was as much fun as expected, lots of adventure, humor, outrage, romance, excitement, etc.
Samantha
Apr 26, 2016 Samantha rated it liked it
This one was pretty dark and was creepy at time. Full review to come soon.
Danya
Sep 20, 2016 Danya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t know how she does it, but Seanan McGuire continues to surprise, delight, and shock me with this series – even as far in as book nine! In the interest of avoiding spoilers, this review is going to be a bit vague when it comes to the actual plot of A RED-ROSE CHAIN and the previous books in the series, focusing instead on why I was so damn impressed by it.

Using tiny nuggets from the earliest books in the series, Seanan McGuire expands Toby’s world and adds new creatures, new kingdoms, and
Bea
McGuire did it again. Tight plotting, witty banter, strong characterization, "A Red-Rose Chain" was just about perfect. Toby has become a hero and she shows us why in this story. She's accepted her role and grown into it.

"A Red-Rose Chain" takes place months after the events of "The Winter Long". Life has calmed down but life never stays calm long for Toby. If it did, we wouldn't have books. :D I laughed at Toby being named diplomat. Impulsive, reckless, rash, smart-mouthed Toby? But to give her
Marzie
Sep 01, 2016 Marzie rated it really liked it
From September 2015:

I'd give the book 4.25 stars.

A Red-Rose Chain is clearly a transitional book, following the powerful one, two punch of The Chimes at Midnight and The Winter Long.

There were things I loved about this book, including the tell-tale reappearance of Spike, the Rose Goblin (who appeared in the first book of the series, and now appears in the first book of "Act II"), more time with May Daye, and learning more about Walter. I missed The Luidaeg (only a phone call appearance or two).
☀Rachael☀
Sep 15, 2015 ☀Rachael☀ rated it it was amazing
Loved it!! I like that Toby has grown enough to take help with her and not march in alone! I do wish that there was more May as I do love May! And the Lewshack (sorry can't spell it as I listen!)! For a moment there I did think that Toby had (view spoiler) on the whole I loved it and I'm glad it wasn't just another Toby searches for a lost kid book! 5,000000 stars from me! I did also miss Sylvester saying "Oc Toby!"
Angela
Sep 27, 2015 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I found this instalment a bit slow going for me. It seems I like more action packed books. Probably my least favourite in the series to date.
Amy (Other Amy)
Thus he that overruled I oversway'd,
Leading him prisoner in a red-rose chain:
Strong-tempered steel his stronger strength obey'd,
Yet was he servile to my coy disdain.
-William Shakespeare, Venus and Adonis
...
"It's not that I don't like the new Queen an'all, but every time I go with you to visit royalty, somebody winds up dead or exiled or whatever..."

Now that was the fairy tale I wanted. So now to try to review it. The previous book, The Winter Long, was supposed to be things coming to a head, mys
Sophie
Sep 03, 2015 Sophie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Toby Daye fans, people who want a rose goblin
ROSE GOBLINS EVERYWHERE!

The Winter Long had Toby finding out a lot of information about her past and her family. So in this one, we go outside of Toby's personal life and have her visit the Kingdom of Silences to try and prevent a war. That's not to say that things don't get pretty personal for Toby, especially since Silences has NOT been kind to its changelings…

So, road trip to Portland! Walther, who thus far has been a relatively minor character, takes center stage in this one, and we find out
Urban Fantasy Afi...: November 2016 - A Red-Rose Chain 1 6 Oct 25, 2016 05:41AM
Saucy Wenches Boo...: Red Rose Chain by Seanan McGuire 63 30 Sep 30, 2015 05:05PM
Girls, Guns and G...: Red Rose Chain - September NRBotM 13 31 Sep 20, 2015 01:36PM
  • A Fantasy Medley 2
  • Glitter and Mayhem
  • Shadow Rites (Jane Yellowrock, #10)
  • Deadly Spells (Prospero's War, #3)
  • Grave Visions (Alex Craft, #4)
  • Mountain Echoes (Walker Papers, #8)
  • The Dragon Conspiracy (SPI Files, #2)
  • Long Live the Queen (The Immortal Empire, #3)
  • Dark Ascension (Generation V, #4)
  • Infinity Bell (House Immortal, #2)
  • Kitty Saves the World (Kitty Norville, #14)
  • Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
  • The Future Falls (Gale Women, #3)
  • Elysian Fields (Sentinels of New Orleans, #3)
  • Fury of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #6)
  • Banishing the Dark (Arcadia Bell, #4)
Hi! I'm Seanan McGuire, author of the Toby Daye series (Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, An Artificial Night, Late Eclipses), as well as a lot of other things. I'm also Mira Grant (www.miragrant.com), author of Feed and Deadline.

Born and raised in Northern California, I fear weather and am remarkably laid-back about rattlesnakes. I watch too many horror movies, read too many comic books, and
More about Seanan McGuire...

October Daye (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1)
  • A Local Habitation (October Daye, #2)
  • An Artificial Night (October Daye, #3)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye, #4)
  • One Salt Sea (October Daye, #5)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • The Winter Long (October Daye, #8)
  • Once Broken Faith (October Daye, #10)
  • The Brightest Fell (October Daye, #11)

“Be sure you include a gift card for Tim Hortons,” he said. “That’s how we say ‘sorry for killing your firstborn son’ in Canada.” 13 likes
“You insinuated yourself into my heart like a worm into an apple, and I am consumed by you.” 6 likes