Start by marking “Iphigenia in Tauris” as Want to Read:
Iphigenia in Tauris

Iphigenia in Tauris

This edition of Euripides' Iphigenia in Tauris includes an introduction, the Greek text, detailed commentary and a metrical scheme. it was originally published in 1938 and aimed at undergraduates and scholars.
Paperback
Published August 28th 1998 by Bristol Classical Press (first published -420)

To ask other readers questions about Iphigenia in Tauris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iphigenia in Tauris

Jenny
May 14, 2016 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Μακάρι να'μουν από πάντα
δυστυχισμένη· γιατί όταν
σύντροφος είσαι με τις συμφορές,
αντέχεις· είναι δυστυχία
ν'αλλάζει η τύχη σου· για τους θνητούς
αβάσταχτο στη θλίψη να βουλιάζουν
ύστερα από χαρούμενη ζωή."

"[...]Είναι ντροπή μεγάλη
σε συμφορές τους φίλους σου να ρίχνεις
για να σωθείς εσύ.Κι ετούτος είναι
φίλος μου κι αγαπάω τη ζωή του
όχι λιγότερο από τη δικιά μου."
Daniel Chaikin
Jul 16, 2016 Daniel Chaikin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
44. Iphigeneia in Tauris by Euripides, translated by Richmond Lattimore
with editor’s foreward by William Arrowsmith
first performed: circa ~412 bce
translation 1973
format: 90 page hardcover
acquired: borrowed from library
read: July 16
rating: 4 stars

The library said that because of a hold it was due in only two weeks, instead of the usual six. So, I decided to read it right away.

This was a nice change from Euripides earlier plays. This play has a more dynamic feel. Prolonged brooding or angry mono
Jim
Jul 18, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am reading Canadian poet Anne Carson's translations from the Greek. They are so different from the standard translations -- and yet at least equally authoritative -- and they tend to be more interesting. Iphigenia among the Taurians tells a different story than the legends of Troy. Instead of being slaughtered as a sacrifice at Aulis, Iphigenia is spirited by Artemis to the Crimean peninsula, where she dwells among the Taurians and officiates over sacrifices to Artemis of Greeks who stray into ...more
David Sarkies
Apr 20, 2012 David Sarkies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Greek tragedy
Recommended to David by: Adelaide University
Shelves: tragedy
Orestes rescues another sister
7 August 2013

This does not really sit at the top of the list of Euripides' great plays, but then I suspect that this appeared in the volume of other playes (that is plays that weren't the seven great plays) that ended up surviving. In a way it seemed similar to some of the other plays of Euripides that I have read, particularly Helen. It appears that the plot and the theme in this play and in Helen are almost identical. Both plays are set in a foreign land, both in
Regan
Mar 18, 2015 Regan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading Anne Carson translate Iphigenia Among the Taurians is like seeing your favorite band live (finally!) and they open with your favorite song.
Oct 20, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: greek-drama
I don't consider this play to be the best of Euripides, but more along the lines of what is typical for him. Compared to Iphigenia at Aulis, this play is inferior to me. Once again, not a bad play, but not a good play either. Just kind of.... there, I guess.

Similar to Helen, Iphigenia Among the Tauri follows a "what-if?" kind of plot, this time focusing on the supposedly-sacrificed Iphigenia. In this version, Iphigenia is not dead, but sort of exiled instead; however, everyone still thinks that
Andrew
Apr 09, 2009 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: greek-plays
A tragedy that is not altogether tragic. This forcuses on Iphigenia (in this version saved from sacrifice by Artemis) being reunited with her brother. Iphigeneia is an interesting but not wholly sypathetic character. There are some inconsitencies and in some cases direct contradictions. Where past Greeks sacrificed or not, did A tragedy that is not altogether tragic. This focuses on Iphigeneia (in this version saved from sacrifice by Artemis) being reunited with her brother. Iphigeneia is an int ...more
Niya B
Jun 08, 2015 Niya B rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Concise, emotive, and wonderfully poetic. Carson's translation of Euripides is an accessible text that doesn't strip away the complications of religion, family and the subtle manipulation sometimes required to achieve what one most desires.
B. Rule
Mar 26, 2015 B. Rule rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carson's translation is clean, crisp, and at times, funny. I only wish she had drafted an introduction or some explanatory notes to get more of her thoughts on the play.
Carole B
Dec 06, 2014 Carole B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite of Euripides' plays so far, mostly because of the complexity of Iphigeneia as a character.
Jeanne
I'm not gonna lie, I've come to have a soft spot for the children of Agamemnon. Specifically Orestes and Iphigenia. I love Electra as well but not nearly as much as her siblings.

Maybe that's why this play resonated with me as much as it did.

It warms my heart to see the two siblings reunited after much longing on Iphigenia's side and much joy on Orestes. After living a life of grief they deserve to have something like a happy ending. I hesitate to call this a tragedy because of that but at the s
Dmk
Feb 08, 2017 Dmk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Instead of portaing well known myth Euripides' chooses one lesser known and it's is really refreshing. Plus with exotic setting in some unknown barbarian temple, this play gives you amazing feelings of unknown and excitement.

Once again witful plot (like in Helene) is used by characters to escape. Dialoques are full of clever argumentation. And the way how they found out that their brother ans sister is just briliant. Great play.
Jon
Dec 20, 2016 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tony
Jan 23, 2013 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
IPHIGENIA IN TAURIS. (?). Euripides. ****.
This is, on the surface, neither a comedy nor a comedy from Euripides (484B.C.-407B.C), but more of a tale of a clever swindle. Orestes (son of Agamemnon) and Pylades (his cousin and friend) land their ship on the shores of Tauris. It looks as if the wind and sea drove them there, but that isn’t the case. They are there on a secret mission: they have been ordered by the gods to carry out his wishes. After their landing on the shore, they are captured by
Rick
Jun 06, 2016 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this version of the myth, Iphigenia introduces herself as follows: “I am Iphigenia, daughter of the daughter of Tyndareus. / My father killed me— / at Euripus where stiff breezes / spin the salt-blue sea in spirals, / for Helen’s sake / a sacrifice to Artemis in famous Aulis— / or so people think.” But Artemis swapped a deer for Iphigenia, bore her away, and now, she is in charge of Artemis’s temple in Taurus. Her role is to lead the ritual slaughter of wandering Greeks. To her shore come two ...more
Ali
Aug 29, 2013 Ali rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tragedies
آگاممنون بخاطر یاری الهه آرتمیس در جنگ تروا، عهد کرده دخترش ایفی ژنی را به پیشگاه الهه آرتمیس قربانی کند. به ایفی ژنی گفته شده که او را برای ازدواج به "اولیس" می برند، حال آن که برای قربانی شدن به تاوریس برده می شود. بنا به روایت اوری پید، آرتمیس در آخرین لحظه گوزنی را بجای ایفی ژنی قرار می دهد و ایفی ژنی که به یاری آرتمیس زنده مانده، به خدمت معبد آرتمیس در تاوریس در می آید. اما ایفی ژنی این وظیفه را خوش ندارد و مایل است به خانواده در یونان بپیوندد. او خواب دیده که برادرش اورسته مرده است. اورسته ...more
Cymru Roberts
"No god is evil, I do not believe it."

Da fuq? Is this Euripides speaking? And to have Iphigenia say something like this? Very strange. Equally strange is the need for this one-off edition. I'm not mad at them for doing it, but I'm left to wonder why. Anne Carson's translation is fine, but it isn't like her translations in Grief Lessons. It isn't noticeably Carsonian. Also missing is an introduction by Carson, which I would have relished. I'd love to hear her thoughts on the myth of Iphigenia.

As
Natasha
I didn't read the translation of this that everyone raves about. I read the translation by Gilbert Murray because that's what gutenburg.org had, and that's free. Despite some archaic language, which can be excused considering he was born in the 19th century, I really enjoyed that he translated it into rhyming verse.

The play itself was enjoyable but when compared to Euripides' other plays lacked the compelling drama that keeps things moving. Iphigenia herself is a rather one-dimensional character
Mia Ivy
Feb 08, 2016 Mia Ivy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-challenge
Beautifully translated, I was in awe often from the phrasing, which rarely happens in other translations I've read. I will definitely be reading more of Anne Carson's translations (in fact, I already have 'An Oresteia'). Iphigenia stood out to me as a very intelligent female character, who is solely a "good" character, which I haven't found many of in Greek Tragedy. Don't get me wrong, I love my Medeas and Clytemnestras, but it was interesting to see other female archetypes explored. This was my ...more
Kevin
Aug 11, 2015 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what it is about Anne Carson's translations of Greek tragedy that make them seem so immediate and engaging, but I'm going to say it's her flexible line rather than those instances of challengingly direct contemporary idiomatic expression. Well, strike that. It's certainly those two things in juxtaposition: the second insures that you don't miss the sense of the action while being carried along by the rhythm of the first.

This play is especially recommended to those young people who
AGamarra
¿Qué le sucede a la abnegada hija de Agamenón que fue víctima de un sacrificio para favorecer la partida de los griegos y que aparentemente fue la causa de la infidelidad de su madre Clitemnestra? Aquí está el desenlace final de Ifigenia y también de Orestes y su amigo inseparable Pílades.
Ambos van por Ifigenia de manera casual al país de los Tauros donde algunas adversidades se les presentan. No es en verdad una tragedia.
Joe
A sequel to "Electra," and like most sequels, not as good as the original. It's like there were some people in Greece who demanded a happy ending for the Agamemnon saga, and Euripides obliged them with this. In Tauris, there is not much conflict; it seems like it was only written so that the actress who played Electra another chance to show off.
Zala
Pallas Athena saves the day!

Again...

This is not what I expected—people are supposed to be dead at the end of a tragedy. Or not I guess...

In this not so tragic tragedy whe have Iphigeneia reuniting with her brother, and in the end deus ex machina Athena resolves everything. Not the best tragedy I've read, but quite good nonetheless.
Brian
Jun 04, 2015 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I told a friend I was reading a Greek play translated by Anne Carson, and she said, "She's the best at what she does." I agree. Five stars for the translation but only three for the play itself, which, like most ancient Greek plays, feels flat and way too coincidental.
Jess Grayson
Quite an interesting play and take on Iphigenia's story, but I think, for a modern reader, the long recognition scene can get a bit boring.
Steve Gordon
Apr 21, 2013 Steve Gordon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"He who strives will find his gods strive for him equally." Euripides trousers, you mend-a-these trousers! One can't go wrong with anything from "the big three."
Rebecca
Mar 27, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
I enjoyed studying classical literature and learning about the Greek gods. This was a good play and I was able to see it performed at Weber State University which made it all the more enjoyable.
Erin
Jun 29, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're going to read Greek tragedies, read Iphigenia. One of the only stories I can think of where the overblown male heroes are outdone by a young girl. Go Iphigenia!
Helen
Helen rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2015
  • The Acharnians
  • The Persians
  • Ajax (Translations from Greek Drama)
  • Iphigénie
  • Cligès
  • Η λέσχη (Ακυβέρνητες πολιτείες, #1)
  • Όνειρο στο κύμα και άλλα διηγήματα
  • Ο ζητιάνος
  • Leucippe and Clitophon
  • Στα μυστικά του βάλτου
  • Legends of Charlemagne
  • Ο Γιούγκερμαν και τα στερνά του, Τόμος Β'
(Greek: Ευριπίδης )
Euripides (Ancient Greek: Εὐριπίδης) (ca. 480 BC–406 BC) was the last of the three great tragedians of classical Athens (the other two being Aeschylus and Sophocles). Ancient scholars thought that Euripides had written ninety-five plays, although four of those were probably written by Critias. Eighteen of Euripides' plays have survived complete. It is now widely believed that wh
More about Euripides...

“μεταβάλλει δυσδαιμονία
[It is change that causes pain]”
1 likes