Start by marking “Touched by Death (By Death #1)” as Want to Read:
Touched by Death (By Death #1)

Touched by Death (By Death #1)

Death had touched anthropologist Jade Hansen in Haiti once before, costing her an unborn child and perhaps her very sanity. A year later, determined to face her own issues, she returns to Haiti with a mortuary team to recover the bodies of an American family from a mass grave.

Visiting his brother after the quake, independent contractor Dane Carter puts his life on hold to
Published June 17th 2012 by Valley Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Touched by Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Touched by Death

Mei
Feb 27, 2013 Mei rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
A blood-curdling story!

It started simple: a woman, Jade, an anthropologist that went on a humanitarian mission to help after the destructive Haiti earthquake and remained traumatized by the horrors witnessed there, returnes to Haiti after a year on another mission; this time funded by a wealthy businessman who wants to recover the bodies of his wife and child from a mass grave where victims of the earthquake were burried.

At first she doesn't want to go, but her brother convinces her to and, once
Jonel Boyko
Feb 23, 2013 Jonel Boyko rated it really liked it
What a hard hitting novel. It’s hard to imagine living through even one of these events, even though it does happen much more often that we like to admit. Mayer takes these very controversial topics and turns them into a captivating suspense novel that will leave you thinking.

Mayer uses her fluid, well written style to create scenes and communities that you can’t help but picture in your mind’s eye. She has the ability to lay everything out in graphic detail without dwelling on it. Each and ever
Sandy S
Sep 23, 2012 Sandy S rated it really liked it
TOUCHED BY DEATH by Dale Mayer

TOUCHED BY DEATH is the June 2012 contemporary suspense/mystery novel by Dale Mayer. Anthropologist Jade Hansen’s life has been a world of depression. Following a trip to Haiti (the previous year) to help victims of an earthquake, Jade returned home to the loss of almost everyone she cared about and quite possibly her mind. When a wealthy American businessman wanted to recover the bodies of missing family members, Jade would find herself back in Haiti helping to exc
Amy R
Aug 18, 2012 Amy R rated it really liked it
What a story. I was tired at the end of this one (in a good way). Jade is asked to join a team to travel to Haiti to look for the remains of a family from the US that were buried in a mass grave after an earthquake in order to send them back for a proper burial. The problem is Jade is suffering from depression caused by events that happened in Haiti the last time she was there. She has also been grieving over her ex-fiancé that left her and a miscarriage six months before. Her brother Duncan tho ...more
Kelly
Jul 12, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it
Dale Mayer liked to put her poor characters through some pretty tough things. This time around it's post-traumatic stress and a whole lot of dead bodies. I wish I could say that the dead bodies were the hardest thing that Jade ends up facing, but... well, I can't. She's got some baggage. She's forced to work through it and she's ending up stronger because of it but it's a rough road at first.

I liked the dynamic between Dane and Jade. They spark. Sparking is good. Sparking leads to unstoppable co
Cynthia
Jan 20, 2014 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
WOW this book has to so many twist and turns, I never saw the end coming. Was so surprised when I found out who the killer was. I still don't fully understand the why. Jade had been through so much it was nice to see that she found her man and things were working out. Poor Dale trying to help a brother through some bad times. John has a many things go wrong in his life, he just couldn't get a break. His wife and family are nuts or are they?

Death all around due to a grave that was from an earthq
Kylie
Sep 18, 2012 Kylie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: won-giveaway
Wow, did that throw a wicked curve ball or what! Wonderfully written. It was interesting, full of mystery and action, left you guessing right to the very end. The blossoming romance was beautiful and sweet, while there was an instant connection, the growth of the relationship wasnt rushed.
Julie Baker
Mar 30, 2014 Julie Baker rated it really liked it
Just when I thought I had it all figured out (about halfway through) the twists started coming. I liked the insight into the Haiti situation during the immediate aftermath of the big quake and the glimpse of the recovery efforts. It made that whole situation more real than it ever had been for me since I am no where near Haiti. Jade's personal story is heart breaking. To have been so affected by what she saw and did that she couldn't find her way back into her every day life is sad. The treatmen ...more
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
Jade Hansen has enough troubled memories to last a lifetime, yet she finds herself accepting a job filled with even greater heartache once she returns to Haiti.

Dane Carter puts his construction firm on hold to fly to Haiti to help his brother with the aftermath of another earthquake. After meeting Jade, he wishes to stay and help with the ordeal.

Jade realizes she faces depression, especially after arriving in Haiti again after another earthquake strikes the suffering people. The memories of the
BooksandBeyondFiftyShades
Aug 25, 2014 BooksandBeyondFiftyShades rated it it was amazing

*5 Star Review* Book #9

Touched by Death
By: Dale Mayer.

Jade Hansen, is a shell of the person she once was. Tragedy has touched her life in more ways than one and more than once. A year ago she was engaged and in Haiti after the first devastating earthquake hit the area. Jade was broken by all the devastation and death that surrounded her in Haiti.

After returning to the states she lost her fiancé and death of her unborn child drives Jade within herself. After much prodding
Beth Cutwright
Jul 23, 2012 Beth Cutwright rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It's the second I have read of Dale Mayer and she certainly can spin a fine story! Her words built a tension within me as I read and usually I am very good at knowing what the resolution to a suspense/mystery is long before the final pages. But I did not catch on until the author revealed it, even though I had trouble accepting it myself.
It was set in Haiti, after the big Earthquake when Jade Hansen returns to Haiti to reclaim her life and the healing that she so desperately n
Sherry Haynes
Jan 10, 2015 Sherry Haynes rated it liked it
I read this through the collection of WTRAFS Gemstone collection. I haven't the slightest idea why it was included in the collection since BDSM is involved. That maybe the reason I am giving this book a 3 star instead of a 4 since I had really not wanted a pyscho suspense book.

Here is what I think;

The book is a good for a suspense type book or even a psycho killer book. It does have issues of voodoo, abuse, and death. If any of those type things are trigger issues then you may need to avoid th
Julie
Jul 27, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic suspense novel by the fantastic author Dale Mayer. In this book we find anthropologist Jade Hansen has not been having a easy time of it since coming back from Haiti a year ago after helping with the aftermath of a earth quake.

One year on and she as been asked to join a team to get back the family of a wealthy American who will do all he can to recover his family bodies from the mass grave they are in.

There are lots of twists and turns and every page keeps you guessing as to
Courtney
Aug 25, 2013 Courtney rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. Anthropologist Jade returns to Haiti to join a team of specialists to uncover a mass grave and indentify the remains that are found. While there the team stumbles into something extra and has to find a killer while completing the work they were assigned to do as well. I thought the book was well written and the ending was well done. I've read Dale Mayer's Psychic Visions series before this and was quite pleased with this stand-alone book.

I received this title from NetGalley
Christa
May 25, 2016 Christa rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook-arc
I felt like I'd been put through the wringer by the time I finished this one! It had lots of twists and turns. The main character, Jade, had endured much before heading to Haiti to recover the bodies of an American family. While there, she meets Dane, who is their to help rebuild after an earthquake. As they begin to get close to one another, danger and terror are at their door.

Gitte
Nov 01, 2013 Gitte rated it really liked it
Shelves: krim, romance
Got this in a ten book romance bundle on my kindle for 0.99 $ and didn't expect anything speciel.
So much better than I thought. A good book with good details on both the destruction on the island as well as the reactions of all involved. I think Jade is very well written. Especially her depression after her first trip and the year following.
I will be looking for other books from Dale Mayer.
Katie Cate
Feb 27, 2015 Katie Cate rated it it was ok
This book was ok. It took a bit to get into it and was slow going at first The mystery itself was interesting, but there were too many plot pojnts of "something was off" and "I felt someone watching me" An ok read with a good mystery but I just didnt like the author 's writing style and pace.
Jo Notary
Feb 09, 2016 Jo Notary marked it as to-read
342pgs, anthropologist lost an unborn baby and her sanity in Haiti, she goes back with a team to recover the bodies of an american family in a mass grave, following an earthquake. She meets a contractor there to help rebuild, and he realizes she is what is missing in his life. when they open the mass grave, she finds herself confronting death and terror again.
ᴴᵁᴳˢX꙰ᴬᴺᴰX꙰ᶜᴼᴼᴷᴵᴱˢ
Not sure whether I liked it a lot or just okay for me.

I like the characters but I didn't like the dark side of the story. I mean I'm not one for reading these kind of thriller or horror or whatever but I tolerated it and the read was good.

Who knew the twist to this story.
Chinarose
Aug 12, 2012 Chinarose rated it it was amazing
I Love this series! Each book in the series can be read as a stand alone novel. However, if your an avid reader like me, once you've read one book, you'll fall in love with the whole series and asking for more.
Neeka
Feb 28, 2013 Neeka rated it really liked it
Shelves: dale-meyer
I really enjoyed the book - though not as much as the previous books in the series.
The story line is good and I love the characters. I guessed who was behind the killings before it was revealed. All in all this was a fun read.
Adis
Got t from giveaway. Started reading soon...
Merle
Oct 22, 2013 Merle rated it it was ok
Not a great story. I also didn't care for the writing. Using the backdrop of Haiti after the recent earthquake, the players seemed to pale against the suffering of the inhabitants.
Michelle Baldwin
Jul 11, 2014 Michelle Baldwin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense
I loved it !!!! no spoilers
Great read fantastic storyline fast pasted .. couldn't put it down .. can't wait for book two
Ht
Jul 24, 2015 Ht rated it it was amazing
it was a very good short read. i have to look for the second book.
Kelly
Nov 09, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
epic book fully enjoyed touched by death really enjoyed reading thus book how love can still happen with all this death around, the ending was great it took me by surprise.
Sunnie
Sunnie rated it it was ok
Dec 05, 2014
Cathi Smith
Cathi Smith rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2014
Vicki
Vicki rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2013
Danitza Hamilton
Danitza Hamilton rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Making Connections: 885. TOUCHED BY DEATH by Dale Mayer 11 42 May 30, 2013 12:31PM
  • Perfect Evil
  • On Ice
  • In The Still Of the Night (Blonde Barracuda, #2)
  • License to Thrill
  • Stardust Miracle (Miracle Interrupted #2)
  • August Unknown
  • Walk the Right Road Box Set
  • High Seas Deception
  • Necessary Detour
  • Leaning (Montana, #1)
  • Winter's Destiny
  • Privy to Murder
  • Courage Dares (Sisters of Spirit, #4)
  • Her Honor's Bodyguard
  • The House on the Shore
  • Trust No One (Vista Security, #2)
  • InSight
  • Unlock the Truth (Desert Heat #1)
Dale Mayer is a USA Today bestselling author best known for her Psychic Visions and Family Blood Ties series. Her contemporary romances are raw and full of passion and emotion (Second Chances, SKIN), her thrillers will keep you guessing (By Death series), and her romantic comedies will keep you giggling (It's a Dog's Life and Charmin Marvin Romantic Comedy series).

She honors the stories that come
More about Dale Mayer...

By Death (3 books)
  • Haunted by Death (By Death #2)
  • Chilled by Death (By Death #3)