Start by marking “Prince Puggly of Spud and the Kingdom of Spiff” as Want to Read:
Prince Puggly of Spud and the Kingdom of Spiff

Prince Puggly of Spud and the Kingdom of Spiff

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  78 reviews
Weston is back in rhyming style with a book about princes and princesses, kings and kingdoms, and what it means to look good in polka-dot bell-bottoms.

Prince Puggly of the muddy, supremely unfashionable Kingdom of Spud is surprised when he receives an invitation to a lavish ball in the far trendier Kingdom of Spiff. The poorly-dressed prince is sure that the Spiffs will ta
Published February 2013 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about Prince Puggly of Spud and the Kingdom of Spiff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince Puggly of Spud and the Kingdom of Spiff

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini TaylorFallen by Lauren KateDivergent by Veronica RothUnwind by Neal ShustermanA Million Suns by Beth Revis
blue book cover
92nd out of 307 books — 34 voters
October Mourning by Lesléa NewmanNix Minus One by Jill MacLeanNothing by Robin FriedmanSharp Teeth by Toby BarlowBrains For Lunch by K.A. Holt
Verse Novels for Boys
28th out of 39 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Gabrielle Carolina
I loved it!

And if I had more time I would write a hilarious, rhyming review
But that would take more than a minute or two
To express, exactly just how I felt
About Prince Puggly of Spud, and his love of felt
And other ridiculous, garish designs,
his swampy kingdom-
which he considers sublime-
Plus Princess Francesca and her pillow tower
Which I confess I could stay in for hours

Basically the point I am trying to make
Is that I have advice MG lovers should take-
The second that this book hits shelves
I s
Michelle
I can't believe the book was all in rhyme.
It made reading it an excellent time.
If Seuss and Dahl are something you like,
then this book will fill you with excite.
I'll recommend this to many a friend
cuz the cutest part had to be the end.
Gail
Clever. Funny. A longer slightly more mature Seuss-like read. Theme: Be your own person. Who you are can't be measured by what you wear. It's more important to consider the content of someone's character. My boys were reluctant to read "poetry" or a book in verse but it's one our summer reading challenges. And surprisingly, they both enjoyed it; the oldest reading ahead. The 10 year old rated it 4.5 stars and the 8 year old rated it 5 stars. Well worth it.
Juli
Written in rhyme, very clever
And the creative text formatting makes it a visual treat as well
Lots of great vocabulary
Long reign Prince Puggly
Can't wait to share it with my class
Hannah Givens
I'm so glad Robert Paul Weston did another novel in verse after Zorgamazoo! It seemed a little simpler than Zorgamazoo, more a young child's fairy tale, but it works! It's about some small conflicts between the kingdom of Spud, where everyone wears crazy clothes, and the Kingdom of Spiff, where everyone wears the height of fashion.

My favorite part is the moral: neither style is really better than the other, everyone should be free to try the clothes they want (as long as they don't get a rash),
Go
This was wacky, witty, and wonderful. I loved it. It had detailed descriptions of the kingdoms (specifically of Spiff and Spud), the characters, and their clothes, which were often in the spotlight. The illustrations made the story even more entertaining; the only thing that could have made them better were if they were in color. I would love to see all the many outrageous outfits worn in the Kingdom of Spud.

“In Spiff, every hairpiece was natty and neat, while in Spud? They seemed to be scraped
Justyn Rampa
Prince Puggly of Spud and the Kingdom of Spiff is the second novel in verse from Mr. Robert Paul Weston. After reading Zorgamazoo and falling desperately in love with that book, I of course needed to read this second book in verse, not at all related to the plot and characters of Zorgamazoo.

While Zorgamazoo was a pinch of Seuss mixed with a whole lot of Roald Dahl, Prince Puggly of Spud and the Kingdom of Spiff was a whole lot of Seuss mixed with a dallop of Dahl. Zorgamazoo was darker in tone a
Rachna
I received this book as part of the first readers giveaways in exchange for an honest review. I have to say that this book was so much fun! Written completely in rhyme, the author also uses the page space in fun and innovative ways. This book is great for children from grade 4-6, even for those who don't like reading much. It's also great for adults who like children's literature. The story is about a prince from a not so hip kingdom and not so hip princess from a very hip kingdom. I won't give ...more
Susie Finkbeiner
This is a fun read-out-loud book. We enjoyed it greatly. Highly recommended for anyone who likes a clever story.
Nina
I won a copy of the book through Goodreads Giveaways.
After I finished reading it, there was so much I wanted to say!

I guess calling it delightful would describe it well
And I'm now a fan of Puggly's great-granny, that I can surely tell.

The way it was written and the layout
Impressed me so much that with no doubt

I decided to mirror the book and rhyme.
As you can see I'm not as good as Robert Paul Weston, but that's fine

Because I just needed to highly recommend the book through this review
And to say
Laurel
Feb 08, 2013 Laurel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children & Parents
Shelves: first-reads
I may be an adult (supposedly!), but this book was a ton of fun to read - I kept bugging my husband by reading verses out loud!

You can't help it - if you're reading silently, you're voicing the verses in your head, and if you're reading out loud, you literally CAN'T keep from doing the different voices.

I can't imagine a more fun book for reading to your children! Or any children! What an absolute ball!

(And I don't even HAVE children - just 3 cats and a sometimes very annoyed and indulgent husban
Niki
Robert Paul Weston’s novel-in-verse is delightfully adorable and entertaining! The Kingdom of Spud crowns Puggly their prince because of his outrageous clothing, but he is not accepted by neighbouring kingdoms due to their supposedly, stylish clothing. With the help of Princess Francesca from the Kingdom of Spiff, Prince Puggly helps everyone overcome their conceited fashion trends, all under his great-granny’s watchful eye.
Short-listed for the 2015 MYRCA.
Aimee
May 19, 2014 Aimee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: youth
This book is so FUN. I loved the story, the characters, the message, the vocabulary, and the best part - it's written in rhyming verse! It would be great to read with your kids, so they can see the fun fonts used, hear the verse, and learn new words. Super fun!
Amy
I received this book for free through the Goodreads First Reads giveaways, and it was a pleasure to read. The whole book rhymes! I can't wait to read it to Madilyn when she's old enough to understand it.
Dolores
While I appreciate the message here, and give the author props for a full-length book in rhyme, for me, it really didn't work. It read like an overly long Dr. Seuss book-with considerably less charm. Sometimes the book flowed along beautifully and sometimes it felt forced by the effort to find a word that rhymed. Sometimes a passage went on waaaay too long, which made me feel like the author had a bunch of rhymes written that he was enamored with and decided to use them all. Sometimes the book m ...more
Linda
This is a novel in verse and it didn't really appeal to me. The story of neighboring kingdoms, all dedicated to being the ultimate consumers of constantly changing fashions follows Prince Puggly, a newly created prince from the Kingdom of Spud and his interactions with the Kingdom of Spiff (and these are not good). The only person in Spiff to not be interested in fashion is Princess Francesca who is only interested in reading. Between the two of them, they manage to teach the rest of the world a ...more
►●◄Aмвєянєαят σя Aмвєя¢ℓαω►●◄
It was amazing I whould recommend it for all ages especially kids
Scott
I liked it because it was weird. -Roxy, age 6.

Bookworm1858
Source: Received from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

To be honest, I probably would have never picked this book up if it hadn't been sent to me for review. Not because it looks uninteresting but because I don't read much middle-grade unless it's by authors who are established in YA already. But I am so very glad that I had the chance to read this because I absolutely adored it!

When I first started reading, I thought it seemed a little odd. That is because it is told in rhyme! Yes
Chris
This book is a fast read and cleverly written. I really liked all of the different fonts used and the creative way text was displayed. The book is told completely in rhyme, which was a bit much for a book of this length. I commend the author though - amazing rhyming! I sometimes had to read stanzas more than one time to get the cadence correct, which I think is the only stumbling block.

I think kids would enjoy having this book read aloud to them. I think rhyming things really lend themselves to
Alida
I gave this book to our granddaughters, ages 13 and 11, to read and review. Here are some of their comments:

Melissa: It shows that clothes and fashion are not important but family is. How you act is very important. I like the way it rhymes and that the words take the place of pictures.

Elena: It shows that fashion isn't everything. It's kind of annoying that the people are always insulting each other. I like that the words sometimes act like pictures. The rhyming makes it more interesting.

I also
Andrea
I won this book from the First Reads Goodreads program in exchange for an unbiased review.

So I get the book and start reading it like any other book. About two pages in I stop and start over. You need to read slowly, to enjoy the rhythm and rhyme! So I get through those two pages, stop, then start over again. This time I'm reading aloud, it just demands it! In fact I can't resist finding someone to read it to!!

This book was so much fun. There is the Kingdom of Spiff, where everyone wears the fin
Caryn Caldwell
In this humorous tale with an important message, the bookish Princess Frannie of Spiff and unlikely Prince Puggly of Spud team up to fight their fashion-obsessed kingdoms. In the process, they show that it's not what you wear that counts, but who you are.

I loved this one. The author's witty and frequently surprising word choices made me laugh out loud several times, and the moral that we should judge people by their personalities instead of their clothes is admirable. It was easy to relate to an
Tammy Duvall
I wanted to like this book but I feel like I just read 200 pages that could have been condensed into one chapter. The story lacks excitement and emotion. I felt like the moral was smacking me in the face on every single page. I'm not sure how my students will react to this book but I'm sure the poop and underpants references will hook a few of them. On a positive note the word choice in this book was excellent . It would be a great source for lessons on synonyms.
Josh
While I absolutely loved the writing style and respect Weston's ability to rhyme and still make sense/be funny, I found the plot to be somewhat boring and pointless. The whole thing is about what kind of clothes you wear and of course includes a prince and princess relationship that's destined to be. The word art cleverly scattered throughout lost it's appeal over time but I still respect the effort. Overall, it's a uniquely written story with a less-than-unique plot and message.
Erica
The kingdoms of Spiff and Spud couldn't be more different. One values fashion above all else while the other prides itself in its more humble and mismatched tastes. But not everyone in Spiff rejoices in uncomfortable fashions. The princess would much rather read in her pajamas than go to some stuffy ball. When Prince Puggly of Spud and the Princess of Spiff meet up they hatch a plan to teach the Spiffians a lesson in blindly following trends. This book is pure, entertaining froth. The light and ...more
Annette
I read this on a Kobo, which made it a bit confusing at times, because the words didn't akways go in the right direction. I am assuming that in the print version there is a graphic depiction of, for example, going up a hill, but on the Kobo the words are stacked backwards on top of each other.

The story is cute, and has good morals. I will probably read the first chapter to gr 5 to 8 classes to introduce it as a MYRCA book.
Pamela
The rhyme and rhythm of a Dr Seuss but for a whole chapter book - it drove me a bit insane. Also, I thought the sartorial satire was a bit stale and cliched, but my teenaged daughter found the premise cute and humorous. So, maybe it'd work for younger audiences. My students may have more difficulty relating than at some schools since our Title I school also requires uniforms.
Nan
Very unusual, entire book is told in rhyme. Sounds like Dr. Seuss, but actually has a great deal of difficult vocabulary. Need to listen closely to follow some of it, but begs to be read out loud. Different kingdoms judge their people by the clothes they wear. King of Spiff cares more about what his daughter wears than the kind of person she is, so she runs away. Kingdom of Spud wears flashy, crazy clothes and are looked down upon by those in Spiff, but the Spudlians think it's just fun. The pri ...more
Colette Dufault
Combine a bookish princess with a beggar prince and you have the re-imagined worlds of the Emperor's New Clothes in the kingdoms of Spiff and Spud. Written entirely in rhyme, it is a good idea to read in small doses to stay focused on the plot. Its read-a-loud qualities are obvious! Wonderfully inventive, totally enjoyable, in one word: "autobiographicaholic". ;-)
  • Follow Follow: A Book of Reverso Poems
  • The Pet Project: Cute and Cuddly Vicious Verses
  • UnBEElievables: Honeybee Poems and Paintings
  • Gone Fishing: A Novel in Verse
  • Like Bug Juice on a Burger (Eleanor, #2)
  • Lulu's Mysterious Mission
  • What We Found in the Sofa and How it Saved the World
  • The Robe of Skulls (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #1)
  • Lulu and the Dog from the Sea (Lulu #2)
  • Stardines Swim High Across the Sky: and Other Poems
  • Baking Day at Grandma's
  • Looking for Me
  • Frog Song
  • Frogged
  • Fleabrain Loves Franny
  • This Journal Belongs to Ratchet
  • Words with Wings
  • The Hero's Guide to Storming the Castle (The League of Princes, #2)
Ahoy. This is my small, oddly-shaped island in the GoodReads archipelago. You're welcome to surf, swim in the lagoon, or stroll along the pier (where they sell prawns and whelks by the cupful). If you'd like to keep things topical—as well as tropical—head down to the beach and sling yourself in a hammock with a good book. One of these, perhaps...

My first novel, ZORGAMAZOO, won the 2011 California
More about Robert Paul Weston...
Zorgamazoo Dust City The Creature Department Blues for Zoey Gobbled by Ghorks