Start by marking “The Cold Spot” as Want to Read:
The Cold Spot

The Cold Spot

Clay Daniels is an outcast among outcasts. Cursed with a terrible birthmark on his face, his life is an endless misery of teasing and physical abuse from his classmates. Things only get worse when his parents die and he's forced to move in with cruel relatives who make the torture of school seem like paradise.

Then everything changes when he meets a boy named John in the wo
Published January 30th 2012 by Delirium Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Cold Spot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cold Spot

Dec 11, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2012-reads
3.5 stars.

Slightly better than "He Waits" although it suffers from the same problems. Once again, I feel that this book was written for a younger audience, based on the prose level, simple plot structure, and characterization. We do get a feel for the protagonist Clay Daniels and his motivation, but the outcast teenager who acquires a supernatural buddy(ies)/protector has been done so much better elsewhere with "Dweller" by Jeff Strand being pretty much the gold standard.

This novella does have a
Aug 11, 2013 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best things about reading a story by JG Faherty is the incredibly authentic characterization. In this novella about a lonely boy forced to endure the vicious cruelty of others on a daily basis, I found myself so caught up in the characterization that I never saw where the end was going. (A rare pleasure for someone who reads as much fiction as I do!) THE COLD SPOT is an emotionally potent novella that hits like a ferocious punch to the gut.

Dave Thomas
Feb 16, 2012 Dave Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
T.S. Eliot once wrote that "Youth is cruel and has no remorse." Well, this concept is brilliantly on display in JG Faherty's "The Cold Spot," a compelling, addictive read that will take you back to your formative school days and having you thanking the good Lord that they're over.

As if Clay Daniels's parents and his dog dying in a horrific fire just two weeks prior wasn't bad enough, he's now forced to move in with an uninterested aunt, a borderline drunk of a disciplinaran uncle, and three lous
CC Stapleton
Dec 03, 2012 CC Stapleton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The pains of adolescence are well known by everyone. The struggle to find one’s self and be accepted by their peers is usually one of the most harrowing events in growing up. JG Faherty’s, The Cold Spot, illustrates the vulnerability of youth and the manipulation of death with unnerving detail and motivation.

Faherty reintroduces one of the oldest horror stereotypes with gut-wrenching honesty. The youthful naivety in the search for acceptance is fully detailed in Clay’s derailing. Turning to some
Benjamin Uminsky
This is my first Faherty piece and overall, I found it to be simply ok. Certainly, it was a competently told story, and I didn't find any major blunders in the work itself. However, I can't really say that I was entirely engaged by any of characters.

In particular, our protagonist, Clay Daniels, had a fairly bland yet whiny personality... one that was certainly appropriate for a teenager, but not one that helped him stand out as a character. I think I am giving this story 3 stars because I can ap
Anthony Hains
Jul 14, 2013 Anthony Hains rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Cold Spot is the first work by J.G. Faherty that I have read. I am especially partial to ghost stories because they can genuinely creep me out. So, I am always thrilled to come across a good one. I’m excited to say that The Cold Spot fits the bill - and then some.

Clay is a young adolescent whose parents have recently died in a fire, and he is sent to live with some rather crude relatives in upstate New York – far from his home in Florida. Clay has the misfortune of having a large port wine
Apr 15, 2013 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clay Daniels was born with a terrible birthmark on his face. All the kids at school would make fun of him and call him names. Clay's mother and father were killed in a fire. Clay was force to live with an aunt and uncle that he could not stand. Things changed one afternoon while walking through the woods, Clay meet a boy name John. John accepted Clay for what he was and wanted to hang out with him, There was only one problem with John and his friends, they were dead. Clay was so happy to have fr ...more
Brett Talley
Nov 29, 2012 Brett Talley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great piece from J.G. Faherty. People are going to start thinking I am him in disguise, but Faherty's short works, particularly those focusing on children, are chillingly good.
Feb 16, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A truly chilling ghost story with a blindsided twist.
Brooke marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Mike added it
May 24, 2016
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Erin rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Beiza added it
Mar 03, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Nika Won
Nika Won marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Brandon marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Noble Savage
Noble Savage marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Ange marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Brian Lassiter
Brian Lassiter marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Scott marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Ksenia rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2014
Jfx rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2014
Jennifer Verri
Jennifer Verri marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Holly Gollnick
Holly Gollnick rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2015
Bill marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
JG Faherty is a Bram Stoker Award and ITW Thriller Award nominee and the author of six novels, nine novellas, and more than 50 short stories. He writes adult and YA horror/sci-fi/fantasy, and his works range from quiet, dark suspense to over-the-top comic gruesomeness.

His novels and novellas, all of which are listed on Goodreads, include THE CURE, CARNIVAL OF FEAR, GHOSTS OF CORONADO BAY, CEMETER
More about J.G. Faherty...