Start by marking “The Cold Spot” as Want to Read:
The Cold Spot

The Cold Spot

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Clay Daniels is an outcast among outcasts. Cursed with a terrible birthmark on his face, his life is an endless misery of teasing and physical abuse from his classmates. Things only get worse when his parents die and he's forced to move in with cruel relatives who make the torture of school seem like paradise.

Then everything changes when he meets a boy named John in the wo
Published January 30th 2012 by Delirium Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Cold Spot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cold Spot

Peter Schwotzer
I love ghost stories, have ever since I was first able to read, something about them always gets under my skin and if they are as well written, twisted and creepy as JG Faherty’s “The Cold Spot”, well that just makes it even better.

This is the first book I have read by JG Faherty and if any of his other work is anything like this he is definitely an author I will be keeping my eye on.

“The Cold Spot” is a tale that will bring you back to the days of your youth, going to school, reliving those day
Chris
3.5 stars.

Slightly better than "He Waits" although it suffers from the same problems. Once again, I feel that this book was written for a younger audience, based on the prose level, simple plot structure, and characterization. We do get a feel for the protagonist Clay Daniels and his motivation, but the outcast teenager who acquires a supernatural buddy(ies)/protector has been done so much better elsewhere with "Dweller" by Jeff Strand being pretty much the gold standard.

This novella does have a
Kimberly
One of the best things about reading a story by JG Faherty is the incredibly authentic characterization. In this novella about a lonely boy forced to endure the vicious cruelty of others on a daily basis, I found myself so caught up in the characterization that I never saw where the end was going. (A rare pleasure for someone who reads as much fiction as I do!) THE COLD SPOT is an emotionally potent novella that hits like a ferocious punch to the gut.

Recommended!
Dave Thomas
T.S. Eliot once wrote that "Youth is cruel and has no remorse." Well, this concept is brilliantly on display in JG Faherty's "The Cold Spot," a compelling, addictive read that will take you back to your formative school days and having you thanking the good Lord that they're over.

As if Clay Daniels's parents and his dog dying in a horrific fire just two weeks prior wasn't bad enough, he's now forced to move in with an uninterested aunt, a borderline drunk of a disciplinaran uncle, and three lous
CC Stapleton
The pains of adolescence are well known by everyone. The struggle to find one’s self and be accepted by their peers is usually one of the most harrowing events in growing up. JG Faherty’s, The Cold Spot, illustrates the vulnerability of youth and the manipulation of death with unnerving detail and motivation.

Faherty reintroduces one of the oldest horror stereotypes with gut-wrenching honesty. The youthful naivety in the search for acceptance is fully detailed in Clay’s derailing. Turning to some
Benjamin Uminsky
This is my first Faherty piece and overall, I found it to be simply ok. Certainly, it was a competently told story, and I didn't find any major blunders in the work itself. However, I can't really say that I was entirely engaged by any of characters.

In particular, our protagonist, Clay Daniels, had a fairly bland yet whiny personality... one that was certainly appropriate for a teenager, but not one that helped him stand out as a character. I think I am giving this story 3 stars because I can ap
Anthony Hains
The Cold Spot is the first work by J.G. Faherty that I have read. I am especially partial to ghost stories because they can genuinely creep me out. So, I am always thrilled to come across a good one. I’m excited to say that The Cold Spot fits the bill - and then some.

Clay is a young adolescent whose parents have recently died in a fire, and he is sent to live with some rather crude relatives in upstate New York – far from his home in Florida. Clay has the misfortune of having a large port wine
Peter
Clay Daniels was born with a terrible birthmark on his face. All the kids at school would make fun of him and call him names. Clay's mother and father were killed in a fire. Clay was force to live with an aunt and uncle that he could not stand. Things changed one afternoon while walking through the woods, Clay meet a boy name John. John accepted Clay for what he was and wanted to hang out with him, There was only one problem with John and his friends, they were dead. Clay was so happy to have fr ...more
Brett Talley
Another great piece from J.G. Faherty. People are going to start thinking I am him in disguise, but Faherty's short works, particularly those focusing on children, are chillingly good.
Mike
A truly chilling ghost story with a blindsided twist.
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Noble Savage
Noble Savage marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
L.C. Moon
L.C. Moon marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Ange
Ange marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Brian Lassiter
Brian Lassiter marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Mallory Heart Reviews
Mallory Heart Reviews marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Jennifer Verri
Jennifer Verri marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Holly Gollnick
Holly Gollnick marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
Mike Strider
Mike Strider marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2013
Audrey Snowden
Audrey Snowden marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
JG Faherty is a Bram Stoker Award® and ITW Thriller Award nominee and the author of four novels, seven novellas, and more than 50 short stories. He writes adult and YA horror/sci-fi/fantasy, and his works range from quiet, dark suspense to over-the-top comic gruesomeness.

His novels and novellas, all of which are listed on Goodreads, include CARNIVAL OF FEAR, GHOSTS OF CORONADO BAY, CEMETERY CLUB,
More about J.G. Faherty...
Cemetery Club The Burning Time Ghosts of Coronado Bay (Maya Blair Mysteries, #1) Carnival Of Fear He Waits