River of Eden

River of Eden

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  31 reviews
A LOST WORLD
In the heart of the rain forest lies a prize Dr. Annie Parrish is willing to risk her life for, an extraordinary orchid known to the Indians as “The Messenger.” With her resources dwindling and time running out, only one man comes cheap enough and is skilled enough to take her deeper into the savage reaches of the Great Green Hell known as the Amazon.

A ROGUE SC...more
Published July 6th 2012 by Tara Janzen (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about River of Eden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about River of Eden

MelissaB
Apr 29, 2010 MelissaB rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of action-filled contemporaries in exotic settings
Recommended to MelissaB by: Danielle "The Book Huntress" Hill
Dr. Annie Parrish is a world-renouned ethnobotanist who sets out on a dangerous quest in the Amazon to win back her reputation. She has a huge black mark on her reputation after an incident in the jungle that got her kicked out of Brazil and left her haunted. One year later, she is back in Manaus Brazil determined to do whatever it takes to find the amazing luminiescent orchid she found right before the "incident" took it away from her. She hunts down Will Sanchez Travers, another famous ethnobo...more
Maldivianbookreviewer
4 Star Jungle Adventure

Jungle-trek themed romances are one of my favorite tropes in the world of romance. I got off this recommendation from my friend Jill on Goodreads who was wonderful enough to give me a huge list of jungle-trek themed romances which we both seem to love. River of Eden is my first novel by Glenna McReynolds and according to FictionDB the last of her published books as well.

River of Eden takes us through the steamy jungles of the Amazon where fact and myth submerge, where ev...more
Saly
I had a hard time finishing this book & even understanding it. It was just too out there for me, all snakes & mysticism & stuff and I had a hard time understanding it.

The heroine was pretty kick-ass though though a bit fool-hardy jumping into danger.
FreeNightFalls
I loved loved this book!

Annie Parrish is a skilled and independent ethnobotanist who's come back to Brazil in order to retrieve what she lost before - the beautifully rare blue orchid and her pride. She looks like a petite blonde nerd, but she isn't called Amazon Annie for no reason - she is a brave, fierce and strong woman.
Will Sanchez Travers looks more like a bad boy than the ethnobotanist who's been rumoured to be dead or eaten by a huge anaconda in the jungle. Sure, he did spend some time...more
Keri
I am giving 4 stars for most of the book. But it was like the author wasn't sure how to end the book and IMO she botched the heck out of it. So the ending gets 3 stars.
Cphe
I bought this book years ago, that how long it's been sitting in my to be read pile. I enjoyed this, and I especially enjoyed the chemistry between Will Travers and Annie Parrish. I felt they were a well suited couple. I also enjoyed the setting, the lush, steamy and very deadly Amazon jungle.

The story did occasionally lag in a few places but overall it was a well written romantic suspense with some shades of paranormal, wish I'd read it sooner now.
Maqluba
Our hero, Will, is a super smart scientist who disappears in the amazon jungle for a while 3 years ago and comes out a man on a mission only he knows. Our heroine, Annie, is after the discovery of the century and to do it she has to go back to the one place that would be hell for her- into the land of the crazy sadistic villain.

Annie gets a ride from Will to go up a river and that's when the craziness ensues. Along the way Annie, Will, and his enchanted boat run into one villain after another a...more
Shannon C.
4 stars: fast paced romantic adventure

This was an Indiana Jones style story set in the Amazon jungle. The characters were well developed and interesting. The fast paced action/adventure storyline captured my interest. At first I wasn't buying the shaman magic stuff (just didn't seem to fit), but then after they met with the Indians it seemed a bit better developed. I liked the romantic tension the author developed, but would have liked a bit more of it. The showdown between all the factions at t...more
Apr 14, 2008 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adventure Romance Lovers
Shelves: reviewed, keeper
Adventure/Romance. Just because this is a romance didn't mean the author skimped on the adventure element. This book was a page-turner for me, I had difficulty putting it down. If you are looking for an indiana-jones type romance you won't be disappointed by this book.
Cindy

I'll be honest, I loved it! Think Indiana Jones if he was a botanist in the Amazon... And the heroine [also a botanist:] has her own agenda - one that turns her into a magnet for trouble...
Alicia
Free on Amazon Kindle right now.
Barbara ★
After reading The Chalice and the Blade which I loved, I was expecting great things from River of Eden. As a matter of fact, I had no idea what it was even about, I saw the authors name and grabbed it. I usually enjoy these types of jungle adventures and I enjoyed this one but found the first half to be a little slow (hence the four stars and not five). An exciting, grab you from page one story has excitement, danger, sparks between hero and heroine, a dastardly villain etc. Well the danger was...more
Shay Williams

I haven't had as many book reviews coming through lately as I just haven't been in the mood to sit down and read. When I picked up RIVER OF EDEN, I had a feeling that I would enjoy the book but wasn't really sure just how long it would take to finish it. I am happy to report that this book was the perfect antidote to my lack of interest in reading. I finished it in one day and am ready to read another.

RIVER OF EDEN reminds me in a lot of ways of ROMANCING THE STONE. There is a lot of action in...more
Linda
Action, violence, visions and love slipping up on two characters that have been fleshed out well and show intelligence! I thought more than once...deja vu....the movie: 'Romancing the Stone' with Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner.

Annie Parrish and Will Sanchez Travers each hold at least one doctorate. You meet them in the rain forest in Brazil at the beginning of the story. She needs his help to locate something special and she is not above telling stories, stealing and whatever else is neces...more
Jenifer
I loved this book. I've read some other books by Ms. Janzen and while I enjoyed them, they didn't suck me in like this one did. I started this one evening planning on reading for a bit then going to sleep. Nope. I made myself put it down about 2am so I get get a little sleep and be functional the next day. It hit all the right spots for me. Smart, strong, sexy alpha male, who happens to be a botanist, a first for me, and a competent, intelligent, strong and beautiful heroine, also a botanist. Ad...more
Teresa Medeiros
Wow! This is definitely a book for readers complaining about there being too much of the same-old, same old out there. RIVER OF EDEN was a delicious combination of adventure, romance, and mysticism which mixed sizzling sensuality with edge-of-your-seat suspense. The book is totally unique in its own right, but it did bring to mind the very best of the genre--ROMANCING THE STONE, THE AFRICAN QUEEN, and AMAZON LILY by Theresa Weir. I wanted to be Amazon Annie and I definitely wanted to go explorin...more
Mcvane
An old favourite. The ending is a bit dodgy, teetering on the edge of WTF Town, but up to then it's a fun adventure romance.

Ideal for anyone who enjoyed jungle-set romance like Linda Howard's Heart of Fire and Midnight Rainbow, Anne McAllister's The Marriage Trap, Anne Stuart's The Soldier and the Baby (a cross between those films Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison and Two Mules for Sister Sara, but with an orphaned baby and in a jungle; it's better than it sounds, honestly!), Theresa Weir's Amazon Lily...more
A. Thornton
God-awful, but only in comparison to her other books. Stick to her Chalice and the Blade series... this one, set in the Brazilian amazon, was excruciatingly annoying.
C K
My gosh I loved this book and have read it 3 or 4 times!!!! All that meta-physical stuff, running for your life, mixed with hidden fears and loves ...
If you like Indiana jones with magical Visions and romance this is for you. I really enjoyed this book and found it easy to read and finished it in a day.
Jac Zifos
Awesome! Great mix of romance, suspense, thrill and paranormal...very cool read and want to check out some of her other books now!
Angarad
The story seems really interesting but I didnt really enjoyed readying it. I didn t pass the 25% Too bad
Sarah S
Botany made exciting, love story distracts from the action. Guns, snakes, gold, cats, and magic plants.
Kathleen
Not really paranormal, but there is some woo-woo going on.
Action, adventure, sex.
Shelves: suspense, romance, free
10/2/2012: Free on Kindle
AH
Oct 02, 2012 AH marked it as to-read
Kindle free download 10/2/12.
♥ ♥ ♥ Martina ♥ ♥ ♥
aka Tara Janzen
  • Amazon Lily
  • Don't Look Back
  • Edge of Survival
  • Deceiving the Protector (Resurrection, #2)
  • Altered Destiny
  • Breaking The Rules (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #587)
  • The Best Man
  • Dancing on Coals
  • Tactical Deception (Silent Warrior, #2)
  • Deadly Obsession
  • Wolfsbane (Discarded Heroes #3)
  • Fight or Flight
  • Heart of Fire
  • A Just Deception (Private Protectors, #3)
  • Crimson Shadows (Crimison, #3)
  • Shadows at Sunset
  • Wild Orchids
  • Guilty as Sin
The Chalice and the Blade (Chalice Trilogy, #1) Avenging Angel Dream Stone (Chalice Trilogy, #2) Prince of Time (Chalice Trilogy, #3) Shameless