Start by marking “When We Touch (Whiskey Creek, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
When We Touch (Whiskey Creek, #0.5)

When We Touch (Whiskey Creek 0.5)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  2,651 ratings  ·  219 reviews
You’re invited to a wedding in Whiskey Creek, Heart of the Gold Country
All their friends in
Published August 1st 2012 by MIRA (first published January 1st 2012)

willaful
This was a more interesting story than I expected. The basic plot is pretty over the top: Olivia's narcissistic sister Noelle stole her boyfriend Kyle, got pregnant, and is now insisting on a fabulous wedding; bizarrely, rather than supporting Olivia, her parents have asked her to plan the wedding so they can save money. Trying to save face, Olivia agrees, and finds unexpected support from Kyle's stepbrother Brandon, her one-time crush -- which sends both Kyle and Noelle into spasms of jealousy. ...more
Anne OK
3 Stars

Novella introduction to Novak's latest "Whiskey Creek" trilogy. Three full-length books in this series will begin with "When Lightning Strikes" on August 28th, followed by "When Snow Falls" on October 30, and then "When Summer Comes" on January 29, 2013.

The novella was short and sweet and an enjoyable afternoon treat. When sibling rivalry goes beyond the norm and one man is at the center of it all, one sister becomes a bridesmaid, while the other sister becomes a bride.

Leslye
Olivia is a Mary Sue, somehow browbeaten into planning her sister's wedding three months after her sister steals her boyfriend of two years. That in itself had me shaking my head. What a wimp! And her parents were horrible people to ask her to do such a thing just to save money! Suspending my disbelief to try to see Olivia's perspective was a bit difficult when I had so little respect for her.

Brandon, on the other hand, is a great character who's given excellent motivation for his personality a
Alexis
I enjoyed this short story for the most part. However, it was very cliche, I literally read almost the exact same story when I read Sister of the Bride a couple months ago.

I really liked the main couple... I wish we could have seen more interaction between the two of them and less about the whiny snobby bride out to ruin her sister's life. I assume (since the first book is about the grooms best friend) that the married couple will play a bigger role. But, I sincerely hope not. I can't stand eith
Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
What a heartfelt and emotional read. My eyes were all misty by the end. This is a great start to a new series that I cant wait to get my hands on all the future books.

Can you imagine the guy you were with for years but asked to take a break from to start up a wedding planning business in another city is now going to marry your sister and she is pregnant on top of that. And to throw more salt on the wound she is the wedding planner for the nuptials.

Olivia Arnold is trying to hold it together bu
Melisa Hamling
I'd be thanking Kyle if I were Olivia because Brandon is sooo much hotter!

Sometimes those nasty things we come across, like a good relationship soured by sisterly jealousy, end up changing our lives for the better. Such is the case with Olivia and Kyle. Their relationship was perfect, but put on hold, or so Olivia thought.

Noelle wants whatever Olivia has... or should we say, had! Including boyfriends, even though she already took the opportunity to step in while Olivia was away building on her c
Dee
Two-haiku review:

Her guy got sis preg
She stays with his stepbrother
Sexy, but no love?

Not new idea
But really deep characters
Quite long novella
Cruth
Author: Brenda Novak
Published: 2012
Length: 1827 kindle locations
Setting: Smalltown contemporary. Whiskey Creek.
Sex: Not frequent. Explicit.
Hero: Extreme skier.
Heroine: Wedding planner.
Includes: Excerpt from When Lightning Strikes by Brenda Novak

A sweet introduction to the Whiskey novels with a story of two past lovers/friends reconnecting. It works as a lead in, but you don't want to expect *more*.

Whiskey Creek series:
Book 0.5 When We Touch - Olivia Arnold and Brandon Lucero
Book 1 When Lightning
Keri
This was a sweet start to BN's new series. I wish that it had been a little longer on the ending. It was good enough that I am looking forward to the next book in the series.
Elaine Mcdonald
Loved this book! Stayed up all night reading it. I don't usually like short books, but this one has it all!
Amanda
This was a nice, short read about sibling relationships and moving on in life. I don't care for the overarching theme of infidelity in romance novels--I think it takes some of the fun out. I only gave this one two stars because it was so short, and the way the tensions worked out were a bit unrealistic. The hero is an extreme sport athlete. While these adrenaline junkies could have a softer side, and most often do, I thought he moved too fast for the heroine. Olivia, a wedding planner, is planni ...more
Jonetta
Olivia Arnold returns home for the most difficult assignment of her life: serving as the wedding event manager for her sister's wedding to her ex-boyfriend, Kyle. She's doing this at her parents' request as her sister, Noelle, will never win an award for being the sibling of the year. Meanwhile, Kyle's stepbrother, Brandon, steps up to help Olivia make it through this awful week.

I'm not a fan of novellas but this one achieved what most do not, which is to tell a great story and create character
Kari Anderson

From Goodreads.com:

You’re invited to a wedding in Whiskey Creek, Heart of the Gold Country Unfortunately, it’s the wrong wedding. Olivia Arnold is arranging the festivities—and it’s the hardest thing she’s ever done. Because she should be marrying Kyle Houseman. They were together for more than a year…. But her jealous sister, Noelle, stole him away—and now she’s pregnant.

All their friends in Whiskey Creek know as well as Olivia does that Kyle’s making a mistake. His stepbrother, Brandon, know
Readitnweep
If I were to judge the story only on how it pulled me in, I'd give it 4 stars as the angst was gripping. The plot had possibilities and the execution of it was good. The problem was with the characters.

Olivia: I wanted to slap her. Get over Kyle already! Since she'd left town, leaving him behind, albeit for a short duration, I thought her shock over him being with someone else was overblown, however, that could have been because he was with her sister. But again Olivia showed great weakness in b
Angela Noviana
Arghhhh... I hate Noelle! How could a sister marry her older sister fiance? Geez! Even though she wanted to compete with Olivia, it's not just a fair way. But life is never fair, right? Depends on how you control it. But still I hate Noelle from the beginning to the end! Oh, not just Noelle, but also Kyle! Such a moron! Though he was a noble man, took the responsibility, but still a moron.

Fiuuuhhh.... Enough of the curse for those characters, let's see about our main characters. Olivia is sweet,
Judith
I can't even imagine what such a scenario would be like to experience, but as always, this author lays out the plot and creates a story that will draw readers into a very emotional and often gritty series of situations. Planning the wedding for your sister and your almost fiance? What a bummer, and yet as can often be the case, there is sort of a silver lining to this very dark cloud that has come into this woman's life. The people I disliked most were the parents--how could they even countenanc ...more
Darcy
I wasn't sure about this one as it started, but as it went on I found myself rooting for Olivia and Brandon, while at the same time sort of happy that Kyle was in hell. I do think that Olivia's sister was evil and not a good person. The way she acted towards everyone, but especially her sister makes me hope she gets hers at some point and think Kyle deserved what he got. I was glad that Olivia took the chance and went after a good thing. I hope we get to see more of these 2 in future books.
Booklover
Okay read for me,though the story was good but Olivia spoiled it for me,adored Brandon and i really felt he should have just left her the way she left ignoring him and avoiding his calls,Brandon was always there for Olivia without any conditions but sadly the same cannot be said about her.Disliked the parents and Noella so much.

Kyle i started to dislike him but later on when it is clear "Yes he acknowledges that he made a mistake and making a bigger one by marrying Noella but he is doing it for
Michi
The mechanics of the book were fine, and the story, while predictable in most ways, was alright. It was disappointing because of the caricatures of the sister, the ex, the bad boy, and the tortured heroine. The sister was unrelentingly evil, which is absurd especially since no one put her in her place. She existed solely to create conflict. The bad boy was bad because people thought he was that way, and he was a heartbreaker. Again, it was transparent and silly. The ex still held a torch for the ...more
Lexxie
Sep 13, 2012 Lexxie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: romance lovers w/bad-boy crush
*I received a free ARC from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review*

You can find this review in full on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews.

This is a delightful short story that enticed me enough to want to read the whole Whiskey Creek trilogy! Olivia is hurting so bad, and her sister, Noelle, is one of the most self-absorbed people I have ever read about! Kyle will probably have more than enough time to regret straying when Olivia wanted to take a small break!

JenniferJ
Oh Wow I totally wish I had the cool composure Olivia does! I mean had I found out my boyfriend whom I was "on timeout" with had been lured into bed by my conniving sister and gotten her pregnant and now wanted to do the responsible thing and marry her and then my parents for the sake of saving money wanted "ME" to organize the wedding I would totally have flipped out and went off in more ways than one!

Though short this story was really good and I could just feel all the emotions coming from eac
Marcy Meyer
This was a great start to the Whiskey Creek series. A quick read for me. Olivia has come home to help plan her sister's wedding to her ex-boyfriend. Not only that, but it's only been 3 months since he fooled around with her sister and she's pregnant. This whole situation with her sister made me want to reach through my kindle and slap the spoiled little brat. Noelle is one of the most self-centered, selfish characters I've ever read. I REALLY wanted Olivia to put her in her place, although I thi ...more
Rachel❤ dreaming with open eyes
4 stars!

This book has to be one of the best novellas I've ever read! :D so glad I picked it up!

Let me first say, I was so surprised by this book. I normally choose to read a novella when I'm looking for a little more of a light-before-bedtime read, and the majority of the time, through no fault of the authors themselves, it's a bit too instalove, woah-that-escalated-fast type of thing. I can happily say, this was not the case here.

Olivia is our heroine, a successful wedding planner who in the p
Elizabeth
I’m not a huge fan of the novella format for romances because most author’s are challenged to bring the story together in that few pages. Ms. Novak does an excellent job of kicking the book off with a rich beginning that brings the story into focus quickly. Ms. Novak has mastered the form much better than many romance authors, but alas the story didn’t work for me because i disliked the plot. One sister stealing another sister’s man. Urgh, There were other nitpicks I had with the story (like why ...more
Sarah Magner
I ended up reading "When Lightning Strikes" before this one but it didn't make me appreciate the first novella in the Whiskey Creek series any less! Olivia is an absolutely amazing character, I can't imagine trying to get through her sister's wedding to Kyle, formerly the man of her dreams. I feel for Kyle, he was an idiot and it back-fired worse than he could ever imagine, although I wasn't entirely convinced it's his baby. Noelle is a conniving little b****...wonder if it will ever be possible ...more
Michele
This really sweet introduction to Whiskey Creek was so enjoyable. My heart hurt for Olivia as she traveled home to plan the wedding for her ex boyfriend who was marrying her sister. Yikes. And rejoiced as she fell in love with Brandon. I'm excited to read this series.
Dee
Novak's novella takes us back to Whiskey Creek. Olivia is the wedding planner for her sister Noelle's wedding.
Twist number one: Noelle's marrying the man Olivia was planning on marrying just four month earlier, except
that Olivia and Kyle took a break while Olivia began her new career in Sacramento as an events planner.
Twist number two: the first person Olivia runs into when she returns to Whiskey Creek is her prom date, Brandon.
Brandon is Kyle's step-brother. Even though things should be simple,
Donna Keevers Driver
This is the first Brenda Novak novel I've ever read. It will not be the last. Brenda has instantly become my favourite writer. The characters, the story, and her style are, for want of a better description, so solid. So complete. Lacking nothing. I was greatly impressed - especially with the main characters, Brandon and Olivia. I fell in love with both of them.

Brandon is a dream, and I was so deeply impressed with Olivia's character and how well she handled all that came against her. A finer her
Karen
What a great story! This is the first of Ms Novaks books that Ive read but I really enjoyed it! I cant wait to read more from her!
  • Momentary Marriage
  • Oceans Between Us (A Cinderella Romance)
  • Wyatt: Return of the Cowboy
  • Alison
  • Love is all around (Looking for Love #1)
  • Mistletoe Mischief (Romancing Wisconsin Series, #1)
  • Hired by the Cowboy (Windover Ranch #1)
  • Blind Her with Bliss
  • A Wedding Story
  • Almost a Bride (Wyoming Wildflowers, #1)
  • Cat Snips
  • Legacy of the Witch (The Portal, #0.5)
  • Married by Mistake
  • Love in Bloom
  • Planning for Love (Aisle Bound, #1)
  • The Secret Christmas Ciphers
  • Claimed for Destiny: Jared's Counterfeit Fiancee/The Chase Is On
  • No Regrets
It was a shocking experience that jump-started Brenda Novak’s bestselling author career.

“I caught my day-care provider drugging my children with cough syrup and Tylenol to get them to sleep while I was away,” Brenda says. “It was then that I decided that I needed to do something from home.”

However, writing was the last profession she expected to undertake. In fact, Brenda swears she didn’t have a
More about Brenda Novak...

Whiskey Creek (10 books)
  • When Lightning Strikes (Whiskey Creek, #1)
  • When Snow Falls (Whiskey Creek, #2)
  • When Summer Comes (Whiskey Creek, #3)
  • Home to Whiskey Creek (Whiskey Creek, #4)
  • Take Me Home for Christmas (Whiskey Creek, #5)
  • Come Home to Me (Whiskey Creek, #6)
  • The Heart of Christmas (Whiskey Creek, #7)
  • This Heart of Mine (Whiskey Creek, #8)
  • A Winter Wedding (Whiskey Creek, #9)
When Lightning Strikes (Whiskey Creek, #1) Trust Me (Last Stand Series, #1) When Snow Falls (Whiskey Creek, #2) When Summer Comes (Whiskey Creek, #3) Dead Silence (Stillwater Trilogy, #1)