Start by marking “Metal Urge” as Want to Read:
Metal Urge

Metal Urge

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  24 reviews

"I never wanted to be loved for my music. I wanted to be loved in spite of it."

Nigel Guilford, lead singer of the English heavy metal band, Metal Urge, never imagined he would meet a woman who could look beyond the angry, brooding, bad-boy rocker to discover the real man buried deep inside. A woman who would nurture and heal his bruised and battered hear
Published July 4th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Metal Urge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metal Urge

E.D. Brady

Metal Urge will whisk you back in time to a place where music was raw and real. Deanna is an expat living in London during the time when heavy metal was on the verge of taking the world by storm. She meets Nigel, gorgeous lead singer of Metal Urge, soon to be Britian’s most popular new trend. Their love affair is soulful and sexy, but all too soon, Nigel decides that a steady girlfriend is not on the cards for him. An unfortunate accident leaves Deanna not only heartbroken but also physically br
Jenny Whetzel
I am somewhat indifferent to this book. It seemed to go slow. At eventful times, it seemed the author just threw it out there, not going into much detail. That bothered me because it's an important part of the book. I felt as I was reading a soap opera with the triangle of lovers. I wanted to quit the book but wouldn't give up. The end was the best part and made me cry. I most likely will not be purchasing a sequel, if there is one.
I usually leave the reviewing to other people but since I don't see any here yet I have to speak up. This book has all the tortured hot rock star, shy college student, angst filled love triangle plots I have come to expect in these really good Indie books. It is loaded with plot twists-some you'll see coming and some that will completely blindside you. It was a great roller coaster ride. This one was a 5star read for me.
So i had to put it on the Read list but I didnt finish it. I got about 6 chapters in and just quit. I could never get into it :( no connection - nothing.
Nicole Pinnone
Only got 9% into it and I just couldn't be pulled in so I pulled the plug
Jen Selinsky
Deanna Darmody is a twenty-year-old exchange student from the United States. Nigel Guilford is the lead singer of a British metal band called Metal Urge. As soon as Deanna first laid eyes on Nigel at one of the band's gigs, she instantly became smitten. Once the two of them were introduced at a party, they hit it off, and they began their torrid love affair shortly afterwards. Much to Deanna’s dismay, however, Nigel breaks if off only after a few weeks into the relationship. Deanna, to say the l ...more
Alan Hardy
This great story is set in 1970s London, at the time of heavy metal music, social and moral upheaval and sexual liberation. The heroine is Deanna Darmody, a naïve young American girl over in England to study, work and, more importantly, discover herself. She is soon transformed from an inexperienced youngster into a young woman who knows what life is in terms of passion, betrayal and personal tragedy. We follow her through the wild, intemperate, at times drug-fuelled stages of her passionate rom ...more
I just can't finish it after a month I am done just don't like the characters or the story at all. No seems to no what they want. So for first time I will close a book that I did not finish. I put one star just to close. But really it's a zero.
Honestly, the book didn't start to become interesting until you were 50% into it. It flat lined in the beginning and did not come alive until halfway through. It finished off well and no cliffhangers
Dee Dee
FYI---This book is no longer available and will not be available again so don't bother adding it as a 'to read' book.
Kate Benson
I have to admit that initially I felt like ditching the book, it's not that it wasn't well wrote,just that I couldn't really connect. I am so bloody glad I got through that.
It had me hooked and sobbing!! I did not know who to cry for at times, and I thought that some bits were "odd" but then remembered that it was set in the 1970's, so attitudes were different then.
A very emotionally fraught book, perhaps rushed slightly at the end, but still good.
I have marked to follow up book as "to read
A story that spans over 11 years, describing the bittersweet rise to success and the tragic love triangle that left a trail of devastation in it's wake.

I have to admit this was a powerfully wrenching tale which and even though it had a pleasant ending still left a bitter aftertaste for all the loss suffered in the name of love.
I didn't like this book. The characters weren't too my liking and the sorry had too many ups and down. I liked the description but it ended up feeling different. Definitely not a happily ever after style book. Very heavy. Not my style. That being said if the sequel shows up free on kindle I will probably get it and read it anyway.
Victoria Cowden-moyneur
Wilbourn's story got increasingly better with each and every chapter. I couldn't put the book down, waiting to see what was next in store for her main character Deanna. The songs she wrote for the novel were also well done for her heavy metal band - Metal Urge. A great read for fans of the genre.
Julie Post
What a f'd up story! First I hated it because of the betrayals but once you got past that... The plot was surprisingly good with a twist. It felt like a more realistic book with a lot of selfish people. Had a similar fell to it as The Opportunist series but maybe not quite as viscous.
DNF - I finally gave up when I realized I did not care about a single character. Not one of them seemed to be able to get their stuff together long enough for a rational thought to enter their head.
freebie 9/26

Hmmm bad boy rocker with dark past and innocent heroine? I might check it out.
Oct 02, 2013 Anne added it
Shelves: stopped-reading
I couldn't finish it...I just could not connect with this story at all. :(
The author broke my heart with this book!!!
Hum!! Kind of ..weird? I don't know!
Amazon freebie 1/4/13
thank the Gods, that is over!
free on Amazon
Kim marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Jeanne Cavanaugh
Jeanne Cavanaugh marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
amber Jepsen
amber Jepsen marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Janet Merrill
Janet Merrill marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Christine marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Ramesh marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
  • Righteous Obsession
  • Wicked End (Wicked End, #1)
  • Boy in a Band (A Morgan Mallory Story)
  • Damaged But Not Broken (New Adult Rockers, #1)
  • Heart Strung
  • The Devil's Tattoo (Devil's Tattoo #1)
  • Everybody Falls (Wynter's Vicious, #1)
  • Dream Me Off My Feet (Sex, Love, and Rock & Roll, #1)
  • Rock'n Tapestries (Rock'n Tapestries, #1)
  • The Stronger, Safer Kind (The Boys of DownCrash, #1)
  • Forbidden Ballad - Rock My World
  • Blessed Tragedy (Blessed Tragedy, #1)
  • Irresistible Lies
  • Zenith Falling (Zenith Trilogy, #1)
  • White Balance
  • Addicted to Him
  • Broken Sound (Brothers of Rock, #2)
  • Denying Heaven (Room 103, #3)
I've been a "wannabe" writer since I learned how to spell. After trying my hand at co-writing a romance novel in the latter part of the brilliant 1980s, writing took a backseat to life, and I didn't put pen to paper or fingertips to computer keyboard until 2009. The result is my contemporary rock n'roll romance novel, Metal Urge.

As a dedicated fan of "old school" British heavy metal, Metal Urge i
More about E.D. Wilbourn...
Metal Heart: Redemption