Start by marking “Mio Mein Mio” as Want to Read:
Mio Mein Mio

Mio Mein Mio

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  5,601 ratings  ·  112 reviews
With help from a genie, young Karl Anders Nilsson travels by day and by night, beyond the stars, to reach Farawayland. There, his father the King, who has been searching for him for nine long years, tells him that his true name is Mio, and lavishes upon him the loving attention he never received from his foster parents back in Stockholm.

But the wonderful reunion with his

Audio CD
Published January 1st 2008 by Hal Leonard Publishing Corporation (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Mio Mein Mio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mio Mein Mio

Mohammed
This is story-wise pretty straightforward and simple fairy tale,fantasy but the writing was of higher level. Since this is the the first time i have read Astrid Lindgren i didnt know what to expect. It was written in a epic poetry like prose that made the story much more interesting,fantastical and imaginative. Her storytelling techniques was clear to see what she was trying to do.

In hindsight its better i read this as an adult where i could see clearly what the writing, the prose style was doin
Miriam
Easter was the perfect time to read this.
bakanekonomama
Di zaman dahulu kala, tapi tidak terlalu dahulu, hiduplah seorang anak laki-laki bernama Mio. Mio adalah putra mahkotadari Negeri Nun Jauh. Sebuah negeri yang tidak akan bisa kau bayangkan dimana letaknya, karena sangat jauh dan tak akan bisa kau jangkau. Pangeran Mio hidup bahagia bersama ayahnya sang raja... Tapi itu sekarang, karena sebelumnya Pangeran Mio hidup menderita, meski tidak terlalu merana, dan jauh dari ayahnya.

Mari kita mundur sejenak. Sebelum ini, belum ada orang yang bernama Pa
MizzSandie
This is one of the first books I ever read on my own. And I have read it many times since. It's very dark and sad, but there's a glimmer of hope shining as a bright star on the night sky. It's beautiful and it touches and tears at my heart everytime I read it.
I guess it's classified as a childrens book, but really it's an 'for every age' book. Adults as well as children will be moved by this story. I know for myself, this is one of the books I will never outgrow and which will never lose it's ab
Lia Ung
*4.5

Trots att jag växte upp med Astrid Lindgren, och trots att jag stött på mycket från Mio, min Mio, som riddar Kato och rosenträdgården, så hade jag aldrig tidigare varken läst den eller sett filmen. Jag har dessutom alltid blandat ihop den en del med Bröderna Lejonhjärta, så jag var väldigt glad över att läsa den till slut och reda ut alltihop (och jag var väldigt glad när jag insåg att ingen faktiskt dog i slutet, vilket jag hade fått för mig just på grund av Bröderna Lejonhjärta).

Berättelse
Lynette
Maybe I'm biased because I loved the movie when I was a kid. Maybe the translation that I read is really bad. Or maybe I'm just way too old for a book written for such young kids. Whatever the reason, I really didn't understand what was so great about this book, and I'm disappointed. Ever since I was a kid, I've been looking for this book, and never could order it or anything. I remembered it a little while ago, and was able to order it on Amazon.

It felt so flat to me. I felt no connection to Mi
Rana Heshmati
باشکوه بود و رویائی. قشنگ بود.
زیبا و دلانگیز بود.
و دوستش داشتم. دوستش داشتم :}
ممنونم از خانم توکلی جانم :)
Riana
if you have not read this - read it.

it is such a beautiful, heartwarming, dramatic, and sad story about courage and hope, about the good standing up against evil.

the style is simple enough to be accessible for children, but poetic enough to be enjoyed by adults. and i even think that this is one of few books by astrid lindgren that can be appreciated more by adults than children.
Jo Bennie
Karl Anders Nilson, known as Andy, is a lonely boy. An orphan, he lives in Stockholm with his foster parents, Aunt Hulda who wanted a boy and Uncle Olaf who thinks Andy makes too much noise. His only friend is Ben, but they sometimes fight. The only person who is kind to him is Mrs Lundy from the sweet shop. But then one day Aunt Hulda, after telling Andy yet again that the day he came to their house was an unlucky one, is given a card to post by Mrs Lundy and an apple that turns to gold. The ca ...more
Sarah Sammis
Jun 21, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: calliope
Sometimes my book reviews require some story telling as set up. This is one of these posts. Scroll down if you don't want to wallow in my nostalgia.

When I was a child I wanted to be Pipi Longstocking's next door neighbor. I figured I wasn't cool enough or strong enough to live on my own, eat nails and carry a horse with my bare hands but I sure wanted a friend who could! I read everyone of Astrid Lindgren's Pipi books and watched all the poorly dubbed movies more times than I can count.

But someh
Elle
This was a book that left a great impression on me when I read it as a child. I thought it was very engaging and could not put it down. I have not read it in a very long time and cannot remember the details of the book, however it did leave so big an impression that I still remember the general story and even where I was the first time I read it.
This book is also excellent for reading aloud and share the impression with other family members. Just like The Brothers Lionheart by the same author t
Thunder
This is probably one of the most boring book I've ever read!
I think it would be nice to read for your small children as a bedtime story but not for anything else. I had to read the whole book since it was a school thing and I died of boredom several times while reading it. Then everytimne I died Mio came and resurrected me ,and I died again, and he resurrected me, and i died and so on...
Nothing really happens in the book except Mio riding around with his extremely annoying friend Jum-Jum!
Don't r
Cathy (cathepsut)
One of my all-time favourite books. I liked the Pippi Longstocking stories, but this is by far my best loved Astrid Lindgren novel.

If you like books for young adults and fairytales and/or fantasy, I can recommend this highly. I think the world she builds in this is beautiful and I still remember parts of this book vividly, although it has been a very long time since I read it.
Sanne
Did you know that Harry Potter's invisibility cloke was actually owned by a nine year old boy from Sweden called Karl Anders Nilsson? I did, and it was invented by Astrid Lindgren. "Mio, my son" is a touching story about courage and nature, which, as Lindgren's other books show, works every single time.
Mark
What I enjoyed most about this book was not its simple story – since I’m too old for this kind of books, ha! – but its cute, adoring and nostalgia-revoking illustrations that accompany it. Recommended for children.
Hirosasazaki Sasazaki
This story contains some folk essence and Lindgren's imagination. Beautiful fantasy and I was about to cry when I found how the king, Mio's father loves his son. Ending was also good.
Linn Amalie
I think I've read this book ten times, and it's one of my all time favourites.
Shere
One of my favorite childhood books.
Anastasia
I read this for my brother as a bedtime story. It took quite long but it was an interesting journey. This was the first time I was reading the book, and it's one of those I've always wanted to read. That's done now.
We both liked the book. There was enough adventure for a little boy and something pretty and the love between most people that I liked. It had some darker themes too, but in Lindgren's way written in a story so that it comes naturally also for children.
This reminded me of, first of al
Andreas
Mio, My Son is a book about a child named Mio who has step parents who are mean to him. One day he finds a bottle and opens it to reveal a giant head saying he's the prince of a planet far away. I'm not going to sum up more of the book, because I think I made my point: Are you going to ride the high you got from that bottle the rest of your life, or are you going to confront your real life problems? (view spoiler) ...more
V.K. Budd
My second grade teacher introduced this story to me when she read it aloud to our class. I think it's appealing to children because Mio is rescued from an unhappy life and restored to his real home where his father is not only king, but also an amazing and loving father. How many children wish that kind of a rescue for themselves? The book may be a bit old-fashioned compared to more modern stories, but it's like a good fairy tale. The Swedish author Astrid Lindgren also wrote the Pippi Longstock ...more
Бранимир Събев
"Стисках меча, придържах наметката и тичах колкото ми крака държаха към залата на рицаря Като.
Навсякъде, във всички зали, по всички стълбища и коридори имаше съгледвачи, които стояха на стража. Големият черен замък гъмжеше от черни съгледвачи. Но те не ме виждаха. Нито ме чуваха. И аз ги подминавах, устремен към залата на рицаря Като.
Вече не се страхувах. Никога не съм се чувствал толкова безстрашен. Нямах нищо общо с онзи Мио, дето правеше колиби в Розовата градина и си играеше на Острова на зе
Jennifer DeJonghe
I read this book aloud to my almost 5 year old son a chapter at a time and we both enjoyed it. My son got nervous at some parts - he gets worried when reading about bad guys and Sir Kato in the book is very very bad - but he did want to keep on reading and says he "really liked it". There were dark parts, and discussion of death and evil, but nothing worse than is in a typical folktale or the Wizard of Oz. I really liked how Mio and his friend Pompoo were portrayed as scared and nervous, but als ...more
B-zee
Bo Vilhelm Olsson bukanlah anak dari orang tuanya, melainkan anak yang diangkat dari panti asuhan. Sayangnya, orang tua angkatnya tak memperlakukan Bo alias Bosse dengan baik. Bosse hanya memiliki seorang teman, Benka. Sampai suatu hari, kejadian aneh membawanya ke Negeri nun Jauh. Dan ternyata, di Negeri nun Jauh, namanya adalah Mio, putra sang Raja.

Di Negeri nun Jauh, Mio merasakan kebahagiaan yang tak didapatkannya bersama orang tua angkatnya. Ayahnya, sang Raja, begitu memanjakannya dan memb
Niko
Astrid Lindgren is a beloved children's author to european readers, and several of her stories have been made into television series or movies. I've also loved her picture books for children, so I had high hopes for Mio, My Son. Instead, I found it too simple, quaint, and idyllic for my taste. Yes, the writing is pretty and poetic, but excessively so. You just want to retch at the paradisal scenes and depictions of childhood purity.

Like The Red Bird the premise is an orphan – taken in but mistre
Tim Roast
This book held my 6-year-old daughter enthralled over several bedtimes, and towards the conclusions other times upon request too.

Mio's Kingdom is a story of good versus evil. Prince Mio is the good, and Sir Kato is the bad. But at the beginning Mio isn't Mio because he was Karl Anders Nilsson living in North Street, Stockholm in Sweden, adopted by an unloving couple, and he had no friends except for Ben. Then one day he disappeared and ended up in Farawayland where he met his father the king.

The
Trine Larsen
I read this when I was about 10 years old, and I couldn't put it down, I read it in a day and was so excited I talked about it to my parents for a few months following (am sure they found me super annoying).
To be honest I have forgotten most of the story line, but I do remember the overall story and how truly captivated I was when I read this as a child.

I am afraid to go back and read it again as it might shatter my illusions on just how truly amazing this book is.

I gave it 4 stars because this
Lilja
This book is wonderful in many ways, touching and beautiful. The view is from the main characters side of the story, which is a child, and that is what makes it so special to me.
This is one of the books that I remember from my younger years, my earlier childhood, so I relate this book to it. Soft, wonderful memories. I wouldn't relate those memories to it if the book wasn't worth it.
Astrid Lindgren, the Swedish, is known around here and I really think her stories are beautiful, especially this
Bunga Mawar
Bukan jenis buku Lindgren yang cerah, tapi juga tidak sekelam Kakak-Beradik Hati Singa yang sepertinya kok bisa mengajak pembaca remaja yang agak rapuh buat bunuh diri, hiiiii.....

Dari awal, settingnya normal, Swedia abad ke-20. Di sana ada Bosse, anak angkat nan sengsara (tapi kesengsaraannya hanya diceritakan beberapa paragraf sih, jadi tidak terlalu dramatis). Lalu Bosse bertemu jin dalam botol, sang jin ternyata adalah utusan ayah kandungnya untuk memulangkan Bosse ke Negeri Nun Jauh untuk
Isabelle
Mio, My Son is a classic fantasy book/fairytale. It's a story about good vs evil and a young boy who has to become a hero, so the the main plot is not really unique. However, the book is very well written. It's also about a fathers love, friendship and a prophecy that has to be fulfilled. Lindgren use almost poetic language which adds to the fairy tale feeling. I really liked it as a child and remember feeling both happy, sad and scared while reading it.

I recently reread the book for the first
  • Jim Knopf und die Wilde 13
  • Die kleine Hexe
  • Pancakes for Findus (Findus and Pettson) (Findus & Pettson)
  • Moominpappa at Sea (The Moomins, #8)
  • Oh, wie schön ist Panama
  • ...och de vita skuggorna i skogen (Skuggserien, #2)
  • Die rote Zora und ihre Bande
  • Pünktchen und Anton
  • Karius und Baktus
Astrid Anna Emilia Lindgren, née Ericsson, was a Swedish children's book author and screenwriter, whose many titles were translated into 85 languages and published in more than 100 countries. She has sold roughly 145 million copies worldwide. Today, she is most remembered for writing the Pippi Longstocking books, as well as the Karlsson-on-the-Roof book series.
More about Astrid Lindgren...
Pippi Longstocking The Brothers Lionheart Ronia, the Robber's Daughter Pippi in the South Seas Karlson on the Roof