Treachery (Nightshade, #2.5)

Treachery (Nightshade #2.5)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  862 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Ansel's world is falling apart. The Nightshade pack led by his parents has been violently destroyed. His sister, Calla, abandoned her little brother, leaving him to answer for her crimes. And the Haldis pack that would have been his future is irreparably broken by Calla's betrayal. Suffering at the hands of the Keepers, Ansel is losing everything he's ever loved. The only...more
Published December 13th 2011 by Philomel

To ask other readers questions about Treachery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treachery

Jana (The Book Goddess)
This short and quick novella reminded me just how much I love the secondary characters. The pack mates - Ansel and Bryn, Mason and Nev, Dax and Fey, Sabine and Cosette and obviously REN. I love them all.

This tells the story of the events that we unfortunately didn't get to see just after the events in Nightshade and during Wolfsbane. It's told in Ansel's point of view (SPOILER) and we understand why he chose to betray his sister, Calla. I couldn't blame him, this poor kid was the most tortured o...more
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
***Spoilers if you haven’t read Wolfsbane***

Treachery was just pure awesome…..just I like I knew it would be!

When we meet Calla in Wolfsbane, she doesn’t know what is going on in the outside world. She doesn’t know what has become of her brother or her pack so you kind of go through Wolfsbane only getting information from characters like Ansel when they are re-introduced. Now Treachery is your main key to finding out what really happened when Ansel is being help by The Keepers because this story...more
Andrew
Review Taken From The Pewter Wolf

Now, this novella takes place between the end of Nightshade and when Ansel appears in Wolfsbane. So if you're starting this series or don't want to know about what happens as I do touch on all the books, SPOILERS!

(If you're still here, it's means you want to know what happens. Ok. Here goes...)

Ansel has been held hostage. He and his fellow Nightshades are being tortured. His mother was violently murdered (which kinda destroyed his father). His wolf form as been...more
Jessica
Stumbled upon this moments before I was going to read Bloodrose, so thought I would read it beforehand! It was a short little read, so this will be a short little review!

Treachery is called book 2.5 in the Nightshade novels. It takes place probably nearly right after Nightshade, but more of the story happens during Wolfsbane. And as the description says we are in Ansel's head and we see and experience everything he felt and saw after Calla deserted the pack. Of course we know Calla's reasons for...more
Tori Grace
There are spoilers for Nightshade and Wolfsbane in here. And I don't see how you can write this review without spoiling the book. Let's just say that there's nothing too bad that is spoiled in the novella. If you've read Wolfsbane, then you pretty much already know what's happening in this novella. Also, I don't even know why I'm reviewing this novella. It was freaking short, but I felt like since I reviewed Destroy Me, which was also a novella, that I should review this one as well. And lo and...more
Michelle Randall
Treachery is a small add-on e-book that was written after the Nightshade series to fill in for fans clamoring for more. This book comes between books two and three and is told from Ansel's point of view.

This basically tells what happened to Ansel when Calla and Shay ran off on the night that was suppose to be Calla and Ren's big "wedding". Everything is from his cell, and he is pretty beaten and bruised and miserable. Thi is after they have taken his wolf from him. It tells how they got him to t...more
Janus Vielle (The Blair Book Project)
I really enjoyed reading Andrea Cremer’s Nightshade series. I had every mix of emotion while reading those books that even after the finale; of course I just had to have more.

When I saw Treachery, I was immediately drawn to it for two reasons: (1) Even though I adore Calla, I was excited to see a new viewpoint for this story, in spite of it being only a glimpse, (2) Knowing it is in Ansel’s point of view makes it even more interesting to finally find out why he made the crazy decision to betray...more
Lecea
I'm a bit hesitant to read Bloodrose (for some reason, I'm afraid of being disappointed, even though I’m sure I will not be), so I'm going a half-step towards it by reading this #2.5 story.

Treachery is narrated by Ansel, Calla's brother. He sits, bruised and exhausted, in his human form. He has lost his wolf, and Ren reminds him that he can, in fact, re-obtain it by proving his loyalties. After Calla betrayed her pack/Ren and joined the Searchers/Shay, Ansel cannot forgive her. However, he conti...more
Liz
My first thought, as always when finishing a bonus novella, is where's the rest of it? I always feels mildly cheated by these. While it is a look into a character's life that we normally would never get, I always feel that asking 3 bucks is pretty steep for something that takes me 20 minutes to read, and adds nothing revolutionary to the story. But I kind of shoot myself in the foot there. I could refuse to buy them, but my inner need to complete everything in order just can't be sated. So I wil...more
Gabriella
"The door slammed shut and I sunk to the floor, my leg muscles quaking from the effort of standing.
I’ll never forgive her!"

Treachery tells the story of the events that we didn't get to see just after the events in Nightshade and during Wolfsbane.

It's told in Ansel's point of view. We see and experience everything he felt and saw, after Calla deserted the pack. Of course we know Calla's reasons for that, but now we get to see how Ansel felt.

We get a real feel for how Ansel, Ren and the others ha...more
Jamie K
Treachery is an e-short that tells Ansel's story after his sister Calla betrays the pack and runs off. As Ansel's word crumbles around him, he and the remaining members of the soon to be new pack are tortured and punished for Calla's crimes.

I have to say I was a bit disappointed by this one. I loved the series and Ansel was one of my favorite characters but everything I expected to be in Ansel's recount was missing. I wanted more information on the actual trial/punishments and Ansel's freeing th...more
Candy Lazzaro
This book about Calla's little brother, Ansel, was alright. It wasn't the best short story from this series but it did give a little insight into what went on when Calla and Shay left and the Pack was taken by the Keepers. It fills in a lot of blanks from the original series of books.
Carolyn
This was supposed to explain why Ansel betrayed his sister but I found that it really wasn’t long enough as it was only 18 pages long and a bit lacking.

It started after Ansel had his wolf taken away from him and after his mother had been killed and it did give a little bit of an insight into the torture that the pack went through whilst being held by the Keepers but not enough.

OK I understand that he had his reason for existing ripped from his body, but he seems to wallow in self-pity just a lit...more
Tiffany (About to Read)
If you’ve read Wolfsbane, you know that there were some seriously surprising actions—particularly from Ansel (Calla’s little brother). Treachery gives us a look into what happened to the rest of the pack while Calla was away from the Keepers.

Andrea Cremer is an amazing writer, and reading Treachery made me want to grab Bloodrose and devour it immediately. The world she has created is fascinating and the depth she gives to her characters is amazing. Treachery answered a few of the other questions...more
Ferdy
3.5 stars - some spoilers
A very short novella from Ansel's POV which takes place after Nightshade and before Wolfsbane..this was a good read and it made it easier to understand why Ansel betrayed Calla and the searchers. Ansel's suffering and Ren's anger are just a small repercussion of Calla's decision in Nightshade. I wish we could have read more about the aftermath of Calla's desertion of her pack from Ansel or even Ren's POV because so much happened to their packs after Calla ran away with S...more
♥ Sarah ♥
A very short novella about Calla's brother and what happened to him after she left (from his POV). It's been a little while since I've read Wolfsbane so I can't remember for sure, but I think this gives us actually some new insight into her brother's motives. I could be wrong though cause I'm a little rusty on the ins-and-outs of the last book.

If that's the case then it's definitely worth the read, otherwise it's so short it's not really worth the $2.99 that it costs on Amazon (for the Kindle).

B...more

Defintely don't read this unless you've read Nightshade and Wolfsbane. But it's a definite must for anyone who has read those two books.

I was a bit disappointed that this e-novella was so short. It was a bit misleading because the first chapter of Bloodrose took up half the space. So I just thought it was going to be longer.

But that said it was definitely interesting to get to read about what happened to Ansel. And to get to read about Ren (since he was barely in Wolfsbane). I just wish it had b...more
Traci
GAH! This was a great, short refresher of the Nightshade series while I sit here impatiently waiting for the third installment, Bloodrose, to arrive from Amazon. *taps foot*

I love alternate POVs. It makes me admire writers all the more: how do you guys know all this stuff that goes on in other characters heads?! In such detail! Amazing. My brain does not do that.

For those of you who've read the series: Ansel! ((hugs)) When (no spoilers) *what happened to Ansel* happened in Wolfsbane, I gasped a...more
Marie
short but sweet, it's terrible to know what happened to him as Ansel was in such a state in wolfsbane, and we hardly got any information from him after he was found. However know we know why. And as much as Ren tries to convince himself that he hates calla you can tell hes fighting a loosing battle- otherwise why would he let her go at the end of nightshade? Uch hate Logan hes so manipulative, just want to rip his head off! And what are they thinking keeping the pack in that state? Youd think th...more
Jamie
I get why the author wrote this....howrver, I think it would have been better in the novel rather than seperate.
Nancy The book junkie
Larissa
Making short story-review short:

This short story takes place between Nightshade and Wolfsbane, from Ansel’s point of view. It tells how he felt about being left behind by his sister, his mother’s death, a great-evil deal he had to take in hope of getting something (his wolf) back. And obviously, since he was tortured, a few dreams, and in-between passages that helps us fill in the blanks left with Wolfsbane.

Wants to read more of my reviews? Click here and enjoy.
Kritin
Since I had to stop in the middle of my Circle series to read a library book or two, this was a good bridge to go into Bloodrose, and to refresh my memory about what was happening in this series.

I liked the POV change, because it shows a little more of what Calla is putting her friends and family through while she's off trying to save the day, and explains Ansel's mindset in the second book a bit better. You don't really gain much (any?) new information from this novella, but just a fresh persp...more
Kristy
Wow. People weren't kidding when they said this was short. I've paid less for a lot more. I can't believe I just paid $2.99 for a freakin' chapter. It was interesting to read, but I kind of expected more. I expected to read up until the point where he betrayed Calla by giving up the seekers location. I loved that Ren was in this so much. I wanted more of him, as usual.
Victoria
Nice. Andrea does a wonderful job giving us this novella from Ansel's point of view. It explains why he does what he does. We get a real feel for how Ansel, Ren and the others have been played. How torn apart Ansel is without his wolf is so clearly displayed. My heart was breaking. Can't wait for Tuesday and BLOODROSE to see where this ends up.
Justine
I really liked this novella because you get to see Ansel's perspective on why he did what he did. Also you learn how he was made to believe that Calla betrayed the pack. I like when you get more then one perspective because then you find out both sides of the story and don't have to assume things based on one persons theories.
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
And now we know why Ansel did we he did. We also know that Logan lied about who the deal was made with. What it that little bugger up to? I can only imagine he's lying about everything else he said, too. I'm not sure how I feel about Ren's role in this story. Can't entirely blame he. He's just as broken as Ansel is.
Trisha
although it's interesting to see what Ansel went through, I kind of already knew this. I'm not sure it added anything. and without any real details, it only left me feeling pretty disappointed with the choice that Ansel made.

I mean, really....how can you condem Calla for the same choice you would have made for Bryn?
Michele
What a fantastic addition to the series. I love the other characters as much as the lead ones. Even though this side was sad, I enjoyed the background to what happened after Calla left. I finished reading Bloodrose and to see the conclusion of this, made it better. Andrea, u are one of my favorites!!
  • The Lost Letters of Brother Gabriel (The Dark Divine, #2.5)
  • Breathless (Firelight, #3.5)
  • Belonging (Darkest Powers, #3.5)
  • Arriane's Day Out (Fallen Shorts, #0.5)
  • A Dance with Darkness (Angelfire, #0.5)
  • Crow Memory (The Blood Journals, #1.5)
  • Never to Sleep (Soul Screamers, #5.5)
  • Stopping Time and Old Habits (Wicked Lovely #2.5-.6)
  • The Lost Boy (The Iron Witch, #0.5)
  • Tomorrow is Today (Tempest, #0.5)
  • Lost Scene from Hallowed (Unearthly, #2.1)
  • Sweet Sixteen (Raised by Wolves, #1.5)
Andrea Cremer is the author of the internationally bestselling Nightshade series. She spent her childhood daydreaming and roaming the forests and lakeshores of Northern Wisconsin.

Andrea has always loved writing and has never stopped writing, but she only recently plunged into the deep end of the pool that is professional writing. Before she wrote her first novel, Andrea was a history professor at...more
More about Andrea Cremer...
Nightshade (Nightshade, #1) Wolfsbane (Nightshade, #2) Bloodrose (Nightshade, #3) Rift (Nightshade Prequel, #1) Invisibility